Turnaround is right on schedule

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turnaround is right on schedule

By Steve Lawrence
, [email protected]
Date: Feb 17, 2006

Maybe it’s the fatigue from clearing my lengthy driveway of 15 inches of snow on Friday morning. Maybe it’s the mind-numbing cold from the minus-13 degree temperatures (the wind chill is something like minus-40) from Friday night. Or, perhaps, maybe I’m just an eternal optimist. But when I look at the fruits from last year’s disastrous 4-12 record, the prospect of a quick turnaround for the Packers doesn’t seem farfetched.

By now, you know the Packers will have something like $20 million to play with in free agency, which should allow general manager Ted Thompson to keep the Packers’ key free agents and add a few quality starters. And by now, you know the Packers own the fifth pick in the first round of April’s draft.

There’s plenty of time to talk draft and free agency, so let’s just assume Thompson does his job and lands three immediate starters in those two NFL meat markets.

Now, let’s assume Javon Walker is healthy enough to be a season-opening starter, and he slowly becomes at least close to the game-breaker he was in 2004.

And now let’s assume the Packers find a competent starting running back, whether it’s Samkon Gado, Ahman Green or a draft pick.

================================

With those pieces in place, the Packers’ schedule opens the door for an eight- or nine-win season, or, perhaps, even a playoff berth.

To refresh your memory, here is the Packers’ schedule.

Home:

• Chicago (11-5)
    Detroit (5-11)
    Minnesota (9-7)
    Arizona (5-11)
    St. Louis (6-10)
    New Orleans (3-13)
    New England (10-6)

and the New York Jets (4-12).

Away:

• Chicago (11-5)
    Detroit (5-11)
    Minnesota (9-7)
    San Francisco (4-12)
    Seattle (13-3)
    Philadelphia (6-10)
    Buffalo (5-11)

and Miami (9-7).

To the losers go the spoils, and what spoils a last-place team receives.

The Packers play nine games against teams that had double-digits losses. I’m no math major, but that’s more than half of their games against the dregs of the league.

No, the Packers aren’t going to win the Super Bowl next year, but really, can anyone argue that the Packers shouldn’t win at least seven of those games against Detroit (twice), Arizona, St. Louis, New Orleans, the Jets, San Francisco, Philadelphia and Buffalo?

Sure, some of those teams will improve. That’s the way the NFL works. But, like the Packers with Mike McCarthy, many of those teams — the Lions, Rams, Saints, Jets and Bills — are breaking in new coaches. Another one of those teams, the Cardinals, are always bad, so it’s hard to imagine they’ll be suddenly improved. Unless quarterback Alex Smith shows infinite improvement, the 49ers will be bad again, as well.

Add a season split with Minnesota — also with a new coach — and a home win against either Chicago or New England, and you’ve got nine wins, which might be good enough for a playoff berth.

Then again, maybe I’m just numb from minus-40 wind chills.

Oh, and one more thing. If Brett Favre retires, disregard this entire column.

Lawrence is a regular contributor to PackerReport.com. Send comments to [email protected]

=====================================

Aside from just having to produce some work - cause that's what he gets paid for... Ya can't just play video games all offseason long, ya know.... Steve (the writer) does make a few good points...

Opinions.....

IPBprez

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I said this same stuff a month or two ago when I was posting the schedule and I obviously have to agreed. I really feel that we can go 8 - 8 if we don't have any major injuries to our starting group. I say 8 - 8 as the lowest record we should earn next year too. I haven't researched it at all, but with our new HC I think we have the upper hand over other teams because our HC will be running a similar offense, our defense will be similar and the fact that everyone knows now they must PROVE themselves to the new coach, heck I think those are all huge plus's that none of the other new HC for their team have going for them.
Like he said, no way for the Super Bowl, but I would not be surprised if we get our division and MAYBE one playoff win but that's pushing it and lets hope thats enough to intrigue Brett to come back for another year and win Super Bowl XLII.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup......i agree. I think they have a GREAT chance.......if Favre comes back that is. If you have to figure in the "learning curve" for a new QB, it all goes out the window.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yehd id have to agree with ya on that one but if favre does retire we should get kitna until rodgers is 100% ready

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't know enough about Kitna to know if he would be worth going after. I thought Tim Couch was gonna be good! (Shows you what i know!)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If 8-8 qualifies as a "turnaround," then yes, I agree it could and probably should happen. I do think the team will be right around 8-8 in 2006, which is where I thought they would be last year. And if it wasn't for injuries, some bad breaks, and the weird coach/GM situation, they probably would've been 8-8 or very close.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree. Then again, I thought the same thing last year and by now we all know how that turned out. The inept play of the OL killed any chance GB had at being successful last year. Yet, I still don't sense any ergency on TT's or GB's behalf to get that fixed. Likewise, they have major issues on the DL if Grady doesn't comeback or they can't find a replacement for him. I'd like to think TT/GB will be more aggressive this off season so that they don't enter next season w/ so many question marks, but based on TT's performance thus far, I have my doubts? Whether they're reloading for next year or building for the future, the remedy seems to be the same to me...fix the OL and DLs!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, i don't think TT is going to tell anyone outside the organization, who he might be after. Don't want to tip other teams off, do we?
Who KNOWS what goes on behind closed doors!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some reason I was High on TT from the start...I liked his first draft.It showed imagination. I feel good about this draft too. Like everyone else, I worry about his plans, if any, for FA. IMO, we must be involved this year in FA. We can't do enough just in the draft. 5 or 6 new guys won't cut it, especially since they're all rookies.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, that is a pretty safe article. We should be able to do that just by getting our players back healthy. Think about it, who was Brett handing off to and who was he throwing to most of the year. A lot of the time it was street free agents! Just Travon Walker would have made a noticeable difference. If Brett comes back and we stay reasonably healthy we should be 10-6 give or take a game, as long as we draft well and get a couple of key free agents.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This article is garbage...I stopped reading it once he based his argument on next year's schedule. Do you think the Packers will finish 4-12 next year? If not, why would you even start to consider the strength of schedule before the draft and FA, let alone training camp?!?

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
This article is garbage...I stopped reading it once he based his argument on next year's schedule. Do you think the Packers will finish 4-12 next year? If not, why would you even start to consider the strength of schedule before the draft and FA, let alone training camp?!?

The real question on the schedule - is how many of the "bad" Teams from last year.. will recover?

Of all of them - only the Eagles seem able to get back up (as it were) right away!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, GB should finish 8-8 --> +/- 8 losses.

This team is better than the 4-12 record it finished with last season. Out of the 12 losses, GB didn't have a chance to win at the end of only 1 game. This team has plenty of talent and showed a lot considering all of the injuries.

So I just don't consider an 8-8 season an improvement on last year because the Packers are much better than a 4-12 team. Considering all of the coaching changes, a true improvement for this team will be making the playoffs. A great improvement would be going deep into the playoffs and contending for the NFC championship. Finishing 8-8 is just meeting the lowest expectation for this team.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts,
I agree with you. We had a lot of guys paid to get the ball in the endzone that were out and it ultimately hurt us in a lot of close games.

With the players coming back from injuries, FA, and, the draft position we are in (I can see 5 or 6 new additions) we should be much improved.
I'm not ready to sell TT short on what he might do in FA just yet. He has shown a lot of guts going with a new staff but I see that as a move to get this team going in the right direction sooner than later.

Because he has made these moves thus far I would expect him to do whatever he can to get quality players on the field and prove his judgement worthy.

Many teams have been able to turn it around in one year and I see the Pack having this capability although it will be very difficult if Brett doesn't come back.

If he doesn't come back we have even more to spend and I would venture we would be capable of putting an overall team on the field better than the Bears. I use them as a measuring stick since they won the division.
Our "O" with the injured guys back is already better.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Bobby Roberts,
I agree with you. We had a lot of guys paid to get the ball in the endzone that were out and it ultimately hurt us in a lot of close games.

Warhawk..

How can you say that...?

Don't you know that there are many "respected posters" here that blame the whole of last season's failures on Brett Favre. How dare you contradict these "respected".."Packer fans.."

it's all Favre's fault..don't you know that....

If it weren't for Favre..the Pack would have been in the playoffs last year....

C'mon guy..get with the program here...

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't blame Favre for last season's failures...I did say he contributed to it though. Do you think Favre contributed to any of the failures last year 66?

Also, who are the posters who blame Favre entirely for last season?

I can almost hear the crickets chirping now.....

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yup...

go ahead...bury your head in the sand....
see what I care....

I think all of this speculation is funny too...because nobody knows what the Packers are going to be like at ALL this year.....

Same thing with the draft..you don't know how any player is going to turn out...yet there are people pouring over endless stats on college players as we speak...and they're not even associated with the NFL....

funny...

All I know is that it doesn't look too good for the Packers right now...and if Brett Favre doesn't return...it will look even WORSE!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I think all of this speculation is funny too...because nobody knows what the Packers are going to be like at ALL this year.....

when you say stuff like this it confuses the holy hell out of me P@ck.

it seems like half of your posts are speculating about how thoroughly f----d this team is, and how quickly it's future is being flushed down the toilet.

you could be 100% on point with those statements, but it seems like in the interest of better supporting those claims, you might want to wait until we have some semblance of a roster, until we find out what the turnover is like, until we find out who the replacements might be?

this is probably going to be one of the most important offseasons this franchise will have for YEARS to come, and as far as the players are concerned, absolutely no decisions have been made yet. it just seems obviously premature and ignorant to me..to start the TT bashing this early in his tenure.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:clap clap clap clap: thank you your absolutly correct and now youll prolly get calle a TT lover but you are 100% correct

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well..

Good point Arrow..good point...

But I'm not necessarily bashing TT.....YET!

(TT has been precariously walking a thin-line, and playing his cards closely to his vest...saying one thing yet doing another...and we are ALL hanging by a thread here..teetering back and forth...waiting for the other shoe to drop...!!)

TT may do some very good things in a short period (this year) through free agency and the draft....or he may build the new team agonizingly slowly primarily through the draft...and we will suffer many losing seasons with the Pack...

The big question mark however...is Brett Favre.....

Now..I've been waiting for 6 years for the Packers to build a team around Favre so that he could lead them back to the SB...but it hasn't happened due to incompetence...and other factors in the Packer organization....

Now TT's other shoe is how he handles Favre and the idea of winning NOW...for Favre and the Packers...or if he mortgages the farm for some idea of winning at a later date...down the road...

We just don't know how it's going to play out...and TT has all the cards....so we'll have to wait....but my gut feeling is that he wants Favre out the door so that he can start totally anew....

I guess we shall see..now....won't we???

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know TT has not shown a great interest in FA in the past but I have to believe he will be making some moves there this year. He made a gutsy move bringing MM in and firing Sherman and he more than anyone is going to want to see this team moving in the right direction.

He is under what? A three year contract? Will he have the same opportunities in upcoming years to make the kinds of moves he has available to him this year? Doubtfull.

In other words the opportunity is here and the time is now.

And if Brett does retire? I think we would see TT go and get an "O" line with the extra $ available to put whoever is the QB in a position where he will be afforded a strong running game and the time to throw the ball. There will be something like $7.5 mil more available to do that.

I don't think there's any question he needs to do something about the offensive line now regardless or I don't see BF coming back. He got bull rushed so often last year he must have felt like he was playing in Spain.

Members online

Latest posts