TT skeptics, here's something to think about

supermancc0386

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I'm not sure if this belongs strictly in the draft area, but as it is about TT's draft record I'm putting it here.

I absolutely hated TT. Then he sent my favorite player to New York. I was absolutely livid and didn't even want to be a Packer fan anymore. I couldn't believe how we had this guy running our team. I signed every online petition I could to get him fired amongst a few other things.

So, I remained a Packer fan obviously, but started being very critical of Ted. One day, I decided I was going to analyze his picks and just make a brilliant case for why he should no longer be the GM of the Packers. As I started breaking things down, I came to a heart-sinking conclusion. The guy I hated so much has actually been doing pretty well. It was incredibly hard to admit this. He's missed, sure, but he's been pretty decent. For the sake of space, I'm just going to link to the article here:
Keeping Up With The Pack: Judging Ted's moves...

Basically, when I did the research, I thought TT sucks and I gave him the benefit of the doubt in some cases because I thought he needed it. Like Jones starting due to the Kampman injury. Matthews going to the Pro Bowl. At the end of the day, Jones is an NFL starting OLB. The results just shocked me. The man who I thought was a complete moron is actually one of the better GM's out there.

I'm not saying I love the guy. I still disagree with a lot of his decisions, (ie. the way he handled the Favre thing, not getting Moss for a 3rd/4th rounder, cutting Sutton last year, ect..) but when it comes to the draft he's made some pretty good picks. So while a lot of people are out there complaining about the Neal and Quarless picks, look back at the chart. Odds are good these guys will be playing in the NFL.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting find, supermancc0386.

My position regarding TT is pretty clear:

I think he's doing a fine job. I was very skeptic of him earlier, but now I"m on board with 90% of what he does.

He still have some crazy boneheaded decisions, 2 that really costed us was not getting Hunter Smith and letting Kapinos and Frost punt, and the other was not getting veteran CB backup once Pat Lee, Will Blackmon and Al Harris went down.

But I'll say this, though. Until he wins a SB, he'll always be criticized.
To criticize him is completely valid. The content and extent of the critics are unfair IMHO, but the core reason isn't: He hasn't achieved the SB title, thus his job is flawed.

I do think we're in the right path to get one, and many for that matter, but until we do, he won't have peace...

dude

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a big problem with TT, but wonder about MM. Guy can't tell time (doesn't manage the clock well) and doesn't seem to make good halftime adjustments.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many times does TT have to say "I PICK BPA NO MATER WHAT" until people actually believe him??? Him and his scouts make their own list of who the best players are according to their criteria and they take whom ever is still available at the top of that list, it's that simple. I wish people would stop criticizing him for not picking for need when he has clearly said he wont.

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the only thing i dislike about him is his lack of insiration to sign free agents. yes i know you build a team through the draft blah blah blah. we are the younges team in the nfl for 4th straight year. we need some vets, but when he does sign free agents they seem to work out pretty damn well if you ask me. Charles defensive mvp woodson, pickett, chillar. but he had some questionable ones too. frank walker marquand manuel, amongst others. i dont think it could hurt your team to sign or at least try to sign a free agent or two. he didnt even bring any in for a visit this year if im not mistaken. im not saying go washington redskins and sign 3 players for 200 million. just get some 2nd wave free agents that can help us win and get that 13th championship.

OP
OP
S

supermancc0386

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you dont mean Aaron Rouse.

hahahaha
Thank you! That made my day. Forgot that he got shipped to the Giants.

But yeah I agree, there are still plenty of trades and FA he could have pulled the trigger on and didn't. But at the same time, I feel like we do have a good young team that could be poised here to make the next few years of Packer football pretty fun to watch.

I only posted this to point out to people who are complaining about who he picked this year. Historically, the draft is a bright spot for Ted and it is something I can trust him on. He's done a pretty good job drafting football players. Especially when you compare him to another extreme case like Matt Millen who has 1 player still on the Lions roster.

As far as coaching, yeah I'm still undecided about McCarthy. I don't know if its just the talent and heart of our players that won 7 of the final 8 last year and turned it around, or if his coaching played a part. I don't think he is terrible (ala Chilly) . I just don't think he's a Cowher or a Belichick either. I like Dom and I like the 3-4 defense more than a 4-3. I'm not a big fan of the zone blocking scheme however. I think we should have dropped it when we lost Jeff Jagodzinski. He learned it from the best in Alex Gibbs. Since losing him, we haven't been able to mesh it together well for an entire season on the OL. What's he up to now anyway? I'd like to get him back.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hahahaha
Thank you! That made my day. Forgot that he got shipped to the Giants.

But yeah I agree, there are still plenty of trades and FA he could have pulled the trigger on and didn't. But at the same time, I feel like we do have a good young team that could be poised here to make the next few years of Packer football pretty fun to watch.

I only posted this to point out to people who are complaining about who he picked this year. Historically, the draft is a bright spot for Ted and it is something I can trust him on. He's done a pretty good job drafting football players. Especially when you compare him to another extreme case like Matt Millen who has 1 player still on the Lions roster.

As far as coaching, yeah I'm still undecided about McCarthy. I don't know if its just the talent and heart of our players that won 7 of the final 8 last year and turned it around, or if his coaching played a part. I don't think he is terrible (ala Chilly) . I just don't think he's a Cowher or a Belichick either. I like Dom and I like the 3-4 defense more than a 4-3. I'm not a big fan of the zone blocking scheme however. I think we should have dropped it when we lost Jeff Jagodzinski. He learned it from the best in Alex Gibbs. Since losing him, we haven't been able to mesh it together well for an entire season on the OL. What's he up to now anyway? I'd like to get him back.

You bring up a very interesting point here. To this day I'm still wondering about this. Who really brought back the team from the dark depths of the Tampa game, Mccarthy or the players? To me it seems like it was more the players than Mccarthy. But I don't really see that as being Mccarthy's fault. When you go back and what Nick Barnett's post game speech against the cowboys he specifically said that "coach has been getting all the heat this week, but it's us that have to be held accountable. We didn't really but our best effort into it."

So it gets me thinking now, does fielding the youngest team in the NFL really hurt us in the long run?? Are some of the players really too immature not to really care??

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You bring up a very interesting point here. To this day I'm still wondering about this. Who really brought back the team from the dark depths of the Tampa game, Mccarthy or the players? To me it seems like it was more the players than Mccarthy. But I don't really see that as being Mccarthy's fault. When you go back and what Nick Barnett's post game speech against the cowboys he specifically said that "coach has been getting all the heat this week, but it's us that have to be held accountable. We didn't really but our best effort into it."

So it gets me thinking now, does fielding the youngest team in the NFL really hurt us in the long run?? Are some of the players really too immature not to really care??
In the words of the disgruntled Colledge: Come-to-Jesus meeting.

Immature to not really care? NO. But inexperienced enough to be affected by the mighty preseason they had.

We now have actually one of the most veteran teams in the NFL, if you look at it by chemistry standpoint.

Tell me a team that has been playing together as long as our guys have, with minimal lineup changes?

Since 08 it's the same team. Same QB. Same receivers. Almost same OL. Same secondary. Same linebackers. Almost same DL...

This team, as a unit, is ready. It has missed the playoffs, it has made and lost in the playoffs, it has had it's share of sucess, of failure...

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying I love the guy. I still disagree with a lot of his decisions, (ie. the way he handled the Favre thing, not getting Moss for a 3rd/4th rounder, cutting Sutton last year, ect..) but when it comes to the draft he's made some pretty good picks. So while a lot of people are out there complaining about the Neal and Quarless picks, look back at the chart. Odds are good these guys will be playing in the NFL.

First of all good job doing the research.

Everybody has made mistakes, is how I base this argument. If you look around the league for an example... Could you imagine being a Bears fan? Trading away draft picks like candy or like the Redskins... Signing almost everybody in the "big name" phone book and never getting ahead. I agree, most decisions TT has made the last 3 years have made me scratch my head... but in the end they normally turn out pretty good (mathews, rodgers, woodson). I love the fact that were the youngest team in the league. Gotta have faith and criticism with everything in life.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many times does TT have to say "I PICK BPA NO MATER WHAT" until people actually believe him??? Him and his scouts make their own list of who the best players are according to their criteria and they take whom ever is still available at the top of that list, it's that simple. I wish people would stop criticizing him for not picking for need when he has clearly said he wont.

You believe that Mike Neal was the BPA in round 2 this year? you also beileve Justin Harrell was the BPA at that time? I would respect him always picking the BPA but he says that, and doesnt follow through.. He makes some rediculous reaches at points and doesnt pick the BPA IMO

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You believe that Mike Neal was the BPA in round 2 this year? you also beileve Justin Harrell was the BPA at that time? I would respect him always picking the BPA but he says that, and doesnt follow through.. He makes some rediculous reaches at points and doesnt pick the BPA IMO
Do you know his board???

It's very plausible that he reached in those picks to find future needs, as Corey Williams was a FA, and so is Cullen Jenkins.

But if we don't have his board/if he hasn't answered questions wheter the guys were the BPA, which If I'm not wrong, they didn't ask him in both instances (only on Raji and Quarless), then no one can affirm they weren't BPA...

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The difference between TT board and the board of some NFL.com annalist is TT knows exactly what kind of players fit his offensive and defensive schemes. He also looks deeper into what the future of our current player situations are and makes better educated guesses as to what players are ranked above others. The NFL annalist judges the players strictly on how they did playing on their Collage teams which are worlds apart different.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how many people acted just like this guy on draft day. Skip to around 4:25-ish:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNeRey5GkU8]YouTube - 2010 NFL Draft Freakout[/ame]

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wont point out any names or anything but judging by his reaction I think that guy is on the forum lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts