TT/MM

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Is TT looking at his recent roster additions or MM and his staff for the slow start and the downward trend on the field ?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I don't think that ALL the problem is with the youngsters. Some of them are doing very well. Hayward aint doing bad at all, we all know cobb is a beast and a few others are doing well for their age and lack of experience. It's the veterans that are lacking and not living up to the hype they built last season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that ALL the problem is with the youngsters. Some of them are doing very well. Hayward aint doing bad at all, we all know cobb is a beast and a few others are doing well for their age and lack of experience. It's the veterans that are lacking and not living up to the hype they built last season.

exactly. House was balling before his injury, cobb is balling, Hayward as well. The vets need to step it wayyyy up. Driver, Woodson, or Rodgers needs to call a player only meeting.

Reaction score
Receivers haven't gotten open consistently , Rodgers hasn't been inaccurate and has held the ball long at certain times. Offensive line hasn't been blocking very good. Defense has been much improved but is inconsistent because of all the rookies we are dependent on which is normal. I don't see any of these problems being MM's fault or TT's fault.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a personnel standpoint, my bet is that TT spends 75% of his time analyzing long-term solutions to both current and foreseeable problems, with the remaining 25% of his time sizing up short-term solutions for current problems. He doesn't move as quickly as Ron Wolf did to plug gaps with mid-season FA signings but that doesn't mean that he isn't going over what-if scenarios. You can look at it two ways: 1) TT is more confident in his previous moves and less confident in FAs that he can bring in to plug holes; 2) TT is trigger-shy and less willing to throw money at problems.

Those two GMs took slightly different approaches to their work and both have been successful. I have no doubt that TT is analyzing his roster additions while grading and scoring their performance. I don't expect much mid-season movement out of him unless he's convinced that it will have a positive influence.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One game we got beat straight up by a better team. Another game was stolen from us. And a 3rd we lost after not having our #1 TE, #1 Dlineman, #1 WR, and #1 RB.

Don't take that as excuses, but more optimism for the rest of the season.

OP
OP
60six

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
I was leaning toward TT taking a closer look at his staff. MM has made a few coaching moves last year that were strange at best and keeping Campen around seems to be a big mistake.

I know a lot of you will bring up the SB and 15-1 seasons, dont mess with success thing, but the Oline has taken a step backwards and the WRs are not getting open and dropping too many passes.

I can see where MM needs to tweak the game plan with quicker routes, screens/draws. Those 20+ yard pass plays from last year aren't there right now, so take what they give.

I guess what I'm saying is TT needs to look at his staff and not the young roster.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT and MM appear to be on the same page, very much unlike the year Mike Sherman had to step aside for TT.
TT is not a spender. He does not put his eggs in one basket. He looks at the financial status of the time long term.
He was willing to tank the 2008 season after Favre left by not bringing in short term veteran help. This is unlike the Vikings who gambled on Favre and Hutchinson and got to the NFC championship game in 2009 but fell into any abyss in 2010 and 2011.
What TT realizes is that some of his picks have physically fallen by the wayside early in their careers. Sherrod should have been a solid starter by now and helped to plug a mediocre offensive line. House has not seen the field.
He gave Justin Harrell 3 chances and he failed. Morgan Burnett has not filled the shoes of Nick Collins. Mike Neal did not fill those of Cullen Jenkins. And possibly he is thinking he should have found a way to keep Ryan Grant instead of having Benson on IR with only Green and inconsistent James Starks in his back field. Had we not had such a porous defense in 2011 he may have drafted a center in the higher rounds. In this case he was forced to sign Saturday who may be done after 2012.

OP
OP
60six

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
TT and MM appear to be on the same page, very much unlike the year Mike Sherman had to step aside for TT.
TT is not a spender. He does not put his eggs in one basket. He looks at the financial status of the time long term.
He was willing to tank the 2008 season after Favre left by not bringing in short term veteran help. This is unlike the Vikings who gambled on Favre and Hutchinson and got to the NFC championship game in 2009 but fell into any abyss in 2010 and 2011.
What TT realizes is that some of his picks have physically fallen by the wayside early in their careers. Sherrod should have been a solid starter by now and helped to plug a mediocre offensive line. House has not seen the field.
He gave Justin Harrell 3 chances and he failed. Morgan Burnett has not filled the shoes of Nick Collins. Mike Neal did not fill those of Cullen Jenkins. And possibly he is thinking he should have found a way to keep Ryan Grant instead of having Benson on IR with only Green and inconsistent James Starks in his back field. Had we not had such a porous defense in 2011 he may have drafted a center in the higher rounds. In this case he was forced to sign Saturday who may be done after 2012.

I totally disagree, he could have had Grant anytime up until 3 weeks ago and chose not to. Also, wanting Grant b/c Bensons on the IR is hindsight at its best.

H

HardRightEdge

In all manner of endeavor, looking for one cause as the tipping point toward success or failure is often a fallacy.

Regarding the initial question how about a little of both? And why limit the question to coaching and new additions? How about veteran play to some extent? How about injuries...like being without Bishop or a healthy Jennings for the entire season?

That's "so far this season". We could see a gelling at some point this season...and I think it needs to be now to keep the playoff hopes alive.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally disagree, he could have had Grant anytime up until 3 weeks ago and chose not to. Also, wanting Grant b/c Bensons on the IR is hindsight at its best.
You have to realize that Benson would not even be here had Starks been able to get through the preseason in one piece. TT got Benson cheap. He was hoping to invest in Starks for several years because Grant's price would have been too high at the time. Somehow he felt that Starks could get through a season with Green and Saine playing the fill in spots. This was a risky assumption. Although Grant suffered one major injury while here he was the one proven running back we had since 2007. With Benson out we are relevated to a similar situation we had in 2010 with only Brandon Jackson back there until late in the season when Starks was able to suffice for a couple of months. That said we are still a pass first offense and the running game always seems to take second place.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woah woah woah, Grant was about $$$. Grant and his agent stuck it to the Packers years ago and now they still wanted a decent haul. Bensen was relatively equal (you can debate the finer points) but got him for a great discount. You make those tradeoffs as a GM, trying to put your team in the best position to win. We could just as easily be sitting her discussing why "tight old" Ted wouldn't the string on landing Cedric Bensen, if Grant were the one who got hurt last week. At least we aren't on the hook for much money.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts