TT close to getting an extension

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Bozz I am with you and completely understand where and what you are saying. However the said football player could rebutt with "I have been playing ball for the past 10 years without much compensation working my way to this point of my career. Like you, I am new to my role, but all I am looking for is a deal that fairly compensates my effort and performance to date, not much unlike you."

Don't get me wrong, I agree with paying TT what he is worth and that he isn't being paid competitively at the moment. All I am saying, is it may very well be awkward to tell a player that we here in Green Bay don't redo deals of players with years left on contracts. At least with a straight face that is.

Not saying it will or is going to happen, just adds an interesting dynamic to contract negotiations between GM, Player and Agent.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree that the comparison is valid. Different job, different decision makers, different forces in play.

Pack93z

Reaction score
I don't agree that the comparison is valid. Different job, different decision makers, different forces in play.

Really... so as a player you can't outperform your first contract within your status as an NFL player?

Ted's first go round at GM... again the job duties, contract parameters would be completely different, but both have out performed their orginal deals.

Ted's job is just as subjective as a players job is.. so I fail to see the reason it doesn't open the door for this type of tactic from a players agent. Ted signed his deal knowing the terms of the contract just like a player.. so why is his deal allowed to be reworked vs a players contract that has outperformed?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bozz I am with you and completely understand where and what you are saying. However the said football player could rebutt with "I have been playing ball for the past 10 years without much compensation working my way to this point of my career. Like you, I am new to my role, but all I am looking for is a deal that fairly compensates my effort and performance to date, not much unlike you."

Don't get me wrong, I agree with paying TT what he is worth and that he isn't being paid competitively at the moment. All I am saying, is it may very well be awkward to tell a player that we here in Green Bay don't redo deals of players with years left on contracts. At least with a straight face that is.

Not saying it will or is going to happen, just adds an interesting dynamic to contract negotiations between GM, Player and Agent.

Well, like I said before. Each situation is different. TT is clearly good at his job, and I would have to assume that the player you're describing is going to get treated differently than a player who is constantly kicking and screaming, complaining to the media that he is under appreciated, and demanding more money. Agreed about the dynamic. I would think contract negotiations are always awkward.

Pack93z

Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Well, like I said before. Each situation is different. TT is clearly good at his job, and I would have to assume that the player you're describing is going to get treated differently than a player who is constantly kicking and screaming, complaining to the media that he is under appreciated, and demanding more money. Agreed about the dynamic. I would think contract negotiations are always awkward.

Javon and his agent handled that issue completely wrong, I agree and I am not really trying to compare Ted to Walker.

What I am saying is it kinda opens the door for agents, like Jennings for example, to come to Ted and say, "Don't tell me that Green Bay doesn't rework deals with time left on the contract."

Just an interesting twist...

As far as Javon...
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree that it would make for an akward negotiation period with some players... and the Greg Jennings/Javon Walker scenario is eerily similiar. but yet im not really worried at all about Greg.

I think its also important to note the kind of guys Ted attempts to bring in. Team guys, who are smart and understand the way business and football work. If it was Randy Moss we were talking about... id be terrified of negotiations. Donald Driver, Greg Jennings... not so much.

Pack93z

Reaction score
i agree that it would make for an akward negotiation period with some players... and the Greg Jennings/Javon Walker scenario is eerily similiar. but yet im not really worried at all about Greg.

I think its also important to note the kind of guys Ted attempts to bring in. Team guys, who are smart and understand the way business and football work. If it was Randy Moss we were talking about... id be terrified of negotiations. Donald Driver, Greg Jennings... not so much.

I am not worried about Jennings either... just puts the pressure back on the organization... you can't tell the players that deals are meant to be upheld without consideration to the performance vs wager factor.

Can you imagine the bad PR leverage a blood sucking agent could use if we tried to tell a player in a position of "clear" undercompensation to play the deal out. All they would have to do is point to this deal.

With all that said... Ted deserves it so get it done.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MassPackersFan said:

Really... so as a player you can't outperform your first contract within your status as an NFL player?

Ted's first go round at GM... again the job duties, contract parameters would be completely different, but both have out performed their orginal deals.

Ted's job is just as subjective as a players job is.. so I fail to see the reason it doesn't open the door for this type of tactic from a players agent. Ted signed his deal knowing the terms of the contract just like a player.. so why is his deal allowed to be reworked vs a players contract that has outperformed?

Sure you can outperform your first contract as a player. Everyone in Packer nation has discussed this issue to death since the Walker debacle (other factors were present too, btw). There are pros and cons to waiting til 1 year is left in their contract, and GM's have certain policies for a reason. I just don't think Ted Thompson's contract as General Manager is related to that player policy at all. It makes for a good talking point if people want to play the politics game, but there is no real substance to the argument.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Hmmm... So the guy that orchestrates the contracts of the players has his deal reworked 2 years ahead of the term and it has no impact on the player's deals.

Interesting... I wish real corporate America worked that way... Raises have a ripple effect amongst workers if they get leaked...

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
cheesey said:
OHHHhh.......i thought "hair extensions"...... :wink: :lol:

I'm glad he didn't. I think our GM would look really silly with hair extensions.

Ok , I know there is someone on this forum who can put Al Harris' hair on TT, would sure love to see it!!! :lol: :lol:

TT looks to be keeping The Pack going in the right direction, an extension is a good thing.

TT has a thin face. Al Harris' hair would look really awkward on TT. Harris' face is more full and his hair fits his face.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

I am not worried about Jennings either... just puts the pressure back on the organization... you can't tell the players that deals are meant to be upheld without consideration to the performance vs wager factor.

Can you imagine the bad PR leverage a blood sucking agent could use if we tried to tell a player in a position of "clear" undercompensation to play the deal out. All they would have to do is point to this deal.

With all that said... Ted deserves it so get it done.

i agree... you can never trust an agent.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
Zombieslayer said:
cheesey said:

I'm glad he didn't. I think our GM would look really silly with hair extensions.

Ok , I know there is someone on this forum who can put Al Harris' hair on TT, would sure love to see it!!! :lol: :lol:

TT looks to be keeping The Pack going in the right direction, an extension is a good thing.

TT has a thin face. Al Harris' hair would look really awkward on TT. Harris' face is more full and his hair fits his face.

Not the best effort.... but you get the picture.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
Buckeyepackfan said:
Zombieslayer said:
cheesey said:

That's is the best thing on this forum, YOU ASK FOR SOMETHING AND IT GETS DELIVERED!!! :p :p

Thanks P93, I would hate to have to negotiate with that guy!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I want a raise, mon. And I want more vacation time so I can hang out on the beach....BOY!"

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully that when this happens then McCarthy gets an extension soon after. Like one thing leads to another. I see no reason why TT and McCarthy for that matter shouldn't get extended.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TT has already modified deals with multiple years left since the Javon situation.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

TT has already modified deals with multiple years left since the Javon situation.

Yes, it's all about what the market allows. Up until a couple years ago, the market for NFL players did not allow for many players to demand contract extensions with more than one year remaining. Shortly after the Javon Walker fiasco, that changed, and Thompson has rolled with that change. So I really don't think it's an issue anymore.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Zombieslayer said:
Buckeyepackfan said:
Zombieslayer said:
cheesey said:

That's is the best thing on this forum, YOU ASK FOR SOMETHING AND IT GETS DELIVERED!!! :p :p

Thanks P93, I would hate to have to negotiate with that guy!!!
Pack93z is more reliable then "Dominos!" :lol:

Staff online

Latest posts