TT close to getting an extension

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Harlan: We're close to contract extension for Thompson

By Rob Demovsky
[email protected]

The Green Bay Packers are close to a contract extension for General Manager Ted Thompson, and there’s a strong chance it could be finished before the season is over.

Team Chairman Bob Harlan said today the deal could get done before Mark Murphy, the Packers’ incoming president and chief executive officer, takes over on Jan. 1.

Murphy was introduced today after the team’s board of directors approved him during a meeting earlier in the day, but Murphy had been aware of Harlan’s desire to extend Thompson’s contract for several weeks and gave it his stamp of approval.

“I think we’re pretty close,” Harlan said. “Ted doesn’t even like to use the word ‘negotiations.’ We’re having conferences between the two of us, and I think we’ll get it done. I think I’ve got a chance (to complete the deal before the season ends), I really do.

“I told Mark that was the process we were in, and he said, ‘I’m fine with that.’”

How Murphy and Thompson get along is one of the foremost issues involved in the transition of power from Harlan.

“I don’t see it being an issue,” Harlan said.

Thompson is in his third year as GM and is under contract through 2009.

Thompson also has begun preliminary discussions with coach Mike McCarthy about a contract extension. The second-year coach is under contract through 2008.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems a little early for a contract extension for Thompson, especially with a new president coming in. But he seems to be doing a good job, so I'm not going to complain.

Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
why don't you marry him?

You remember when Ted mentioned he could have gotten married twice, but he probably dropped the ball both times?

Yeah, one of those times I thought our marriage was signed, sealed and delivered. Unfortunately it didn't turn out the way I'd want.

On a serious note, Ted has earned an extension. Kinda ironic how Ted has changed his stance on extending players with more than one year left on their contract, and now it appears the same will be done with him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
bozz_2006 said:
why don't you marry him?
You remember when Ted mentioned he could have gotten married twice, but he probably dropped the ball both times.

For the love of god, do some research! It's widely known that Ted broke off talks with each woman because their fathers wanted a draft pick and a large signing bonus.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
OHHHhh.......i thought "hair extensions"...... :wink: :lol:

I'm glad he didn't. I think our GM would look really silly with hair extensions.

Ok , I know there is someone on this forum who can put Al Harris' hair on TT, would sure love to see it!!! :lol: :lol:

TT looks to be keeping The Pack going in the right direction, an extension is a good thing.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i reckon TT should get an extension and loads more money so then we we FIRRRRRRRREEEEEEE TT!!! he will lose alot of potential earnings. That'll teach the selfish bastard a lesson!

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
It seems a little early for a contract extension for Thompson, especially with a new president coming in. But he seems to be doing a good job, so I'm not going to complain.

Seriously?

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted deserves an extension in my book. He's actually built a pretty good (and youthful) team through the draft, which was something Sherm never even came close to doing. I still hang my head in disgust at how terrible Sherm's 2004 draft was. TT has had a few misses, but overall, has done a pretty commendable job with drafting and FA acquisitions.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I find it very ironic that he is getting his deal worked two years in advance of the expiration of the deal... don't get me wrong that he deserves to get paid at least the average of NFL GM's, which he is well below.

He is making 1 Million a year while the "NFL average" is around 2, yet the Green Bay GM has probably more pressure thrust upon it with the lack of a single owner to report to.

But the dynamics of it will put him in some awkward spots when a player wants their deal redone because they have outperformed their current deal.

I guess it is Harlan's last significant act as the President of the Packers, eliminating Mark Murphy from having to deal with the extension year one of his tenure.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's call up Javon Walker and see how he feels about TT's "early" deal!
:thumbsup: :lol:

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe after we ask him what it's like to play for a "good" team like the Broncos. We fans of a mediocre team have a hard time imagining it.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the dynamics of it will put him in some awkward spots when a player wants their deal redone because they have outperformed their current deal.

That's assuming player contracts and FO contracts are structurally similar. I'm not saying they aren't, I just don't know. All I'm saying is, I'm not sure that the shareholders are really concerned whether or not Ted is going to suffer a season-ending knee injury, or something like that.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

That's assuming player contracts and FO contracts are structurally similar. I'm not saying they aren't, I just don't know. All I'm saying is, I'm not sure that the shareholders are really concerned whether or not Ted is going to suffer a season-ending knee injury, or something like that.

Agreed, the concerns or parameters of the deal probably are significantly different, but services exceeding compensation in either job are comparable in terms of contracts.

What I am saying, is a player in the 3rd year of his rookie deal outperforming his contract may go to Ted and say.. same situation and I am looking for the same security in terms of money and length of deal. IE... Greg Jennings makes the Pro Bowl this season.. a second round pick with a modest salary may be looking to redo his deal. Sound familiar?

The other part of it is, a GM's contract I would bet is guaranteed whereas a players deal is not other than signing bonus.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Pack93z said:

Agreed, the concerns or parameters of the deal probably are significantly different, but services exceeding compensation in either job are comparable in terms of contracts.

What I am saying, is a player in the 3rd year of his rookie deal outperforming his contract may go to Ted and say.. same situation and I am looking for the same security in terms of money and length of deal. IE... Greg Jennings makes the Pro Bowl this season.. a second round pick with a modest salary may be looking to redo his deal. Sound familiar?

The other part of it is, a GM's contract I would bet is guaranteed whereas a players deal is not other than signing bonus.

I certainly see where you're coming from, and absolutely believe that such a demand could be made by the player. As far as I know, it happens all the time. And, also true, TT is still new to being an NFL GM, but he's not new to football. It's his third year as GM, not his 3rd year in the NFL. Thompson has spent 20 years in the NFL. I don't care how long you've been a player, 20 years is 20 years. So, while I can definitely see the player bringing up Thompson's contract (which hasn't even happened) as a status quo issue, and I fully expect Thompson to say, "Look sonnie, I've been here for over 20 years. When you've been here 20 years, then we can talk. If you want to answer to my superiors instead of me, be my guest. You're responsible for yourself. I'm responsible for everyone in this organization. You want to talk about job security? Be my guest." I also believe you have to treat each situation differently, which TT has also done. A second year player demanding more money is different than a player with some more experience under his belt. And as far as players like Javon Walker go, for all we know, Ted wanted his *** out of GB anyways.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
bozz_2006 said:
Pack93z said:

A second year player demanding more money is different than a player with some more experience under his belt.

Latest posts