"Truth" - According to Jason Whitlock (FoxSports)

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
*Spoiler Alert!* - The article is very biased and in some ways inflamatory, - Personally I view it more as an opinionated fan's reaction, rather than the article of a journalist ... Nevertheless it's very interesting reading ...

The Truth can be inconvenient, impolite and painful. The reason you read my NFL Truths column is because you realize I will address the inconvenient, impolite and painful, even when the "friendly fire" damages yours truly.

Like most red-blooded, patriotic football fans, I participated in Brett Favre Celebration Week and built my Sunday around watching Favre's return to Lambeau Field.

There was wall-to-wall television, radio, blog and newspaper coverage leading up to Vikings vs. Packers. I found very little Truth in any of it.

Sports media coverage is oftentimes too polite, afraid to deliver pain and too focused on making sure anyone of any power is happy and comfortable.

That's why an innocent kid like Steve Bartman can be portrayed as the dumbest fan in all of sports and/or the primary reason the Cubs didn't reach the 2003 World Series and a buffoon like Ted Thompson can hold his head high while earning millions of dollars ruining the Green Bay Packers.

We have nothing to lose trashing Bartman. Ted Thompson might pass us some juicy trade gossip or gas our egos with press-box chitchat.

So last week the media performed a full ****** examination of Brett Favre's emotions, and no one — that I saw — took a peek into the empty cranium that upon being given control of the Packers franchise in 2005 decided its first order business was to develop the Brett Favre Relocation Plan.
Twenty-four regular-season games into Favre's removal as Green Bay's starting quarterback, Ted Thompson looks every bit as stupid as Peter Pocklington, the man who traded Wayne Gretzky to Los Angeles.

The inconvenient, impolite, painful, highly entertaining and worthy-of-ample-discussion truth is Brett Favre wanted out of Green Bay because he believes Ted Thompson is a moron. Favre spent one year in New York just so he could get to Minnesota and prove that Ted Thompson is a moron.

Halfway through the 2009 season and after two Vikings victories over the Packers, the Favre prosecution team has rested its case and anxiously awaits Thompson's defense the second half of the season.

As jury foreman, I'm ready to vote guilty on all charges. Short of winning the Super Bowl, there's not a damn thing the Packers can do to mask Thompson's incompetence.

I'll be asking my peers in the jury room to sentence Thompson to the unemployment line and hand Favre the league's MVP Award.

That's right. Halfway through the season Favre is the clear-cut MVP. It ain't even close. Right now Favre is sportsman of the year. That's not hyperbole.

If Favre's second-half play matches what he's delivered through eight games and the Vikings win the Super Bowl, he will have elevated himself to Babe Ruth, Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan and Jim Brown status.

What Favre has done so far this season is the stuff of legends. It surpasses Ruth's "called shot" in the 1932 World Series and Joe Namath's Super Bowl guarantee. I'd put Favre's 2009 performance on par with the "Miracle on Ice" and Ali's "Rumble in the Jungle" victory.
I'm telling you, despite blanket coverage, we've totally missed the Favre story. We've failed to put this in proper context.

Favre is doing what Michael Jordan could not.
MJ hated Jerry Krause, the general manager of the Bulls. Jordan believed Krause was an idiot and was in too much of a hurry to break up Jordan, Jackson, Pippen and Rodman. Jordan "retired" and first tried to prove Krause's idiocy by managing the Wizards and then tried to prove it by playing for the Wizards.
Jordan failed. He drafted Kwame Brown No. 1 overall and put together two forgettable seasons in a Wizards uniform.

The 40-year-old Favre, however, is having the greatest season of his 19-year career. His 106 QB rating is seven points higher than his previous best. He's on pace to throw just six interceptions, which would be seven fewer than he's thrown in any season as a starter.

It's deeper than the numbers. It's the 32-yard, back-of-the-end-zone rope that beat the 49ers with two seconds to play. It's the 58-yard heave to Sidney Rice that set up the game-winning field goal to beat the Ravens. It's the seven TDs and zero interceptions in two games against the Packers.

And it's the passion for the game. Favre is the Magic Johnson of football. Like Magic, Favre's personality and emotion overwhelm his teammates. You had to bust your *** and get out on the break because you knew Magic passed out candy at the offensive end like every night was Halloween.

Guys play hard for Brett Favre. There's something about good-old boys from the South. They're natural leaders. Everybody loves them. Favre and Steve McNair were cut from the same cloth. They could connect with and inspire an opposite-race teammate just as effectively as a teammate who shared a similar background as theirs.

Favre's famous "MNF" game against the Raiders after his father died is the best testament to Favre's intangible leadership qualities. Most of the media focus on Favre's great stats and overlook the fact that Favre's receivers made numerous circus catches that night. Favre's teammates cared about him so much that they picked him up on a night when he needed a lift.

All of this reflects poorly on Ted Thompson. Favre contended throughout his final seasons in Green Bay that he could still perform at an MVP level. He wanted better support. He wondered why Thompson's first significant act as GM was picking Aaron Rodgers in the first round of the 2005 draft.

Think about that. Five years ago Thompson used a critical draft pick on a player to replace the QB capable of a 106-passer rating in 2009. The Packers had their quarterback of the future — Brett Favre.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Brett Favre isn't just playing well. He's making his Vikings teammates better. (Jeffrey Phelps / Associated Press)

In 2006 and 2007, the Packers led the NFL in salary-cap availability. Thompson made one significant free-agent acquisition — cornerback Charles Woodson.

The rift between Favre and Thompson became irreparable when Thompson refused to go after Randy Moss, who shares the same agent (Bus Cook) as Favre. We can assume that Favre had inside knowledge that Moss would strongly consider signing with the Packers.
Thompson is dedicated to building the Packers through the draft. Moss joined Tom Brady in New England. The Patriots won 18 straight games and Brady set nearly every single-season passing record with Moss at his side.

Brady and Peyton Manning are allegedly better QBs than Favre, who has a rep for throwing huge INTs.

Favre would contend he's more prone to give in to his gambling nature when he feels he has to compensate for a talent deficiency. In his mind, give him Randy Moss, Adrian Peterson or Reggie White and his TD-INT ratio will be 3 to 1 and he'll be in contention for the MVP.

The NFL is a win-now league. When you have a chance to pair Favre with Randy Moss, you take that opportunity, win a Super Bowl or two and deal with the consequences later. Thompson chose to avoid the consequences and plan for the future.

He tired of the Favre offseason drama, tired of catering to Favre's ego. What an idiot. Favre was right. A year after Favre led the Pack to 13-3 and the NFC Championship Game, Green Bay finished 6-10 and out of the playoffs. This year it appears the supporting cast Thompson gave Rodgers is inadequate. The offensive line can't protect Rodgers and the defense looks weak against top competition.

Meanwhile, Favre has Adrian Peterson in the backfield and Jared Allen rushing the opposing quarterback. Favre has the most talented offensive and defensive players in the league. And he's not simply riding their coattails. They're all pushing each other. Favre is doing the most.

By forcing his way out of Green Bay, retiring from the Jets after one season and staging a Flava Favre, will-he-or-won't-he drama this offseason, Favre placed an unprecedented amount of pressure on himself.

When the season started, the only people in the Favre bunker were Brett, Deanna, Bus Cook, Brad Childress, Zygi Wilf and John Madden.

The media felt burned by Favre. Fans were sick of the nonstop coverage. Fran Tarkenton made a return to relevancy blasting Favre in radio and TV interviews. Adam Schefter floated a theory/story there was tension in the Vikings locker room over Favre's arrival.

Favre has made assclowns of everybody, particularly Ted Thompson.

Ali took on the government and love-it-or-leave-it America and established a reputation as "The Greatest." Other than that, I can't think of another athlete who has exceeded what Favre has accomplished this season (without overcoming a major medical issue).

Drew Brees is putting up nice stats. Peyton Manning and the Colts are undefeated.

Brees and Manning can't touch Brett Favre. Even if the Saints and the Colts run the table, Favre is the MVP unless he falls apart down the stretch.

I copied the article in it's full extent - but Click Here for more articles ...

hummyjohnson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't follow this guy, so I don't know if he is an ******** or not. But I completley agree with him. TT, especially, needs to be shown the door. The look on his face from his bunker above the field Sunday was priceless.

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi
It's worth noting that while Favre has the best QB rating of his career, Aaron Rodgers is currently leading the league. Other than that it's a lot of speculation on why Favre is currently residing in Minnesota.

On the moves Thompson made...Who knew that Favre would still be playing in 2009 when he drafted Rodgers (Who fell on his lap btw)? In the interview with Andrew Brandt he said that as early as 2001 (I think that was the year) Favre started talking about retiring.
Also everyone talks about Randy Moss like it was a no brainer move to pick him up. At the time a lot of people were talking about how he had lost a step and his career was over.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really love this guy he comes on Jim Rome every once in a while or actually every time Rome goes on vacation. He writes for the Kansas City Star and is never one to mince words.

Had the Packers picked up Randy Moss he would have been the fastest player on the team for the Packers. I believe he came in to Patriots camp and ran a 4.2~ 40 yard dash which easily would have made him the fastest.

OP
OP
Quientus

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
The irony about the Randy Moss situation is actually quite sad ...

Ted Thomson was actually INCLINED to listen to Favre about Randy Moss ... And was contemplating on actually trading for Randy Moss, however, every one else in the Packer Management, Board of Directors, the current President as well as the entire coaching staff said that it would be a bad trade ...

Ted Thomson was still "new" as a GM ... - And was told by his (TT's) superiors that the trade for Randy Moss would be a no ...

So for once ... about the Randy Moss trade ... TT at that time, being a new GM ... had little choice ...

As much as I disagree with Ted Thomson overall performance so far as GM for the Packers ... I just can't blame him for not trading for Randy Moss at that time ...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Quin, you have proof of that?

The story goes and comes from Bob Harlan that they went to bed on draft night believing Randy was a Packer

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had the Packers picked up Randy Moss he would have been the fastest player on the team for the Packers. I believe he came in to Patriots camp and ran a 4.2~ 40 yard dash which easily would have made him the fastest.

The knock on Moss was that he was lazy and took plays off, and that he wasn't as dynamic as when he played for minnesota. Also character concerns. I believe he has had a few domestic disturbance issues even while in NE.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quin, you have proof of that?

The story goes and comes from Bob Harlan that they went to bed on draft night believing Randy was a Packer
The look on Ted's face was absolutely priceless when they asked him about Moss to the Packers. Absolute deer in the headlights.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The knock on Moss was that he was lazy and took plays off, and that he wasn't as dynamic as when he played for minnesota. Also character concerns. I believe he has had a few domestic disturbance issues even while in NE.
The guy make take some plays off but he can make some plays for you as well. The guy is a TD machine.

Also we get Moss and then we don't have to waste a pick on Jordy Nelson granted he is a decent returner but we could have bolstered the O-Line instead of "taking the best player in the draft."

As the saying goes "Hindsight is always 20-20." but really you can only use that so many times before you figure out a guy makes too many mistakes.

OP
OP
Quientus

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
At that time, Randy Moss was in Oakland ... And for all intent and purposes ... Randy Moss' career was not what it had promised out to be or become ...

Randy Moss at that time was kinda like T.O, only without the (statistical merit and experience) ... which is probably why most "experts" had Randy Moss pegged as a trouble maker more than a play maker really ...

Having said that ... I still believe the Packers should have persued Randy Moss much more than they did, but you can't really blame Ted Thomson for that ...

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At that time, Randy Moss was in Oakland ... And for all intent and purposes ... Randy Moss' career was not what it had promised out to be or become ...

Randy Moss at that time was kinda like T.O, only without the (statistical merit and experience) ... which is probably why most "experts" had Randy Moss pegged as a trouble maker more than a play maker really ...

Having said that ... I still believe the Packers should have persued Randy Moss much more than they did, but you can't really blame Ted Thomson for that ...
I believe that also Charles Woodson had those same question marks surrounding him as well before we picked him up as he wasn't that delighted about playing in Green Bay. It has worked very well for Woodson since he has been here.

OP
OP
Quientus

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Personally I think that Randy Moss is a big D-Bag...I don't really have a lot of patience with diva receivers.

Most "Star Players" get "Diva-like" tendencies ... more so often than not ...

It's inherent human nature ... And it happens all the time, not only in sports, but in life in general ...

I'm pretty sure each one of you see several at work, in your social circle etc ... only, you don't notice them nearly as much, because there is not all that media attention coming along with those ...

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most "Star Players" get "Diva-like" tendencies ... more so often than not ...

It's inherent human nature ... And it happens all the time, not only in sports, but in life in general ...

I'm pretty sure each one of you see several at work, in your social circle etc ... only, you don't notice them nearly as much, because there is not all that media attention coming along with those ...

There's plenty of Packers who don't behave this way.

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Behave what way? Like "Packer People"..?? C'mon...John 'Purple Drank Jolly..?

The name of the game is WINNING games. This article is spot on...a great article.

Moss was just looking for a QB....that guy in Oakland couldn't even hit him with the ball...

Moss is doing great in New England with Tom Brady...Ted Thompson dropped the ball on that one..Come on...is he the damn GM, or is he not. He should have had some 'NADS and went after Moss agressively.....(as I'm sure Wolf would have) It would be a different story today.

Wolf always said his one regret was not getting enough "players" or talent for Brett Favre to work with...

Face it, the bottom line is that, "Ted Thompson has made assclowns of you all"....

OneHotelFoxtrot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Face it, the bottom line is that, "Ted Thompson has made assclowns of you all"....

How is that so? I don't feel that way it at all. I guess you mean that directing to the ones who are still packer fans? Ok if so, he made you guys look like that when you jumped ship or decided to hate the team and management so much that you root for the Vikings to beat us. Ridiculous. Hey think about this, maybe just maybe, the Packers, ya know the team we root for, is BIGGER than Favre and Thompson. Sure the way the messy divorce went down could have been handled a whole lot differently, but my gosh you're the one that let you get all angry at Ted and in return makes you say I'm glad Brett beat the Packers, which means we lose a game (2 here), no that makes you look like a complete Tool.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't follow this guy, so I don't know if he is an ******** or not. But I completley agree with him. TT, especially, needs to be shown the door. The look on his face from his bunker above the field Sunday was priceless.
He is known as "Big ****" in the kansas City area and played college ball at Ball state ,Highschool teammate of Jeff George. he is a good reporter for the Kansas City paper and on the air waves with 810 sports radio. Has been doing more national sports with ESPN and Fox sports lately so he is someone in the know.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*Spoiler Alert!* - The article is very biased and in some ways inflamatory, - Personally I view it more as an opinionated fan's reaction, rather than the article of a journalist ... Nevertheless it's very interesting reading ...

I copied the article in it's full extent - but Click Here for more articles ...
yh I remember Adam Sheftler talking all kinds of smack about tearing the lockroom up in minny and he guarenteed the Vikings would not make the playoffs with Favre. funny he is all about how great Brett favre is now.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Behave what way? Like "Packer People"..?? C'mon...John 'Purple Drank Jolly..?

The name of the game is WINNING games. This article is spot on...a great article.

Moss was just looking for a QB....that guy in Oakland couldn't even hit him with the ball...

Moss is doing great in New England with Tom Brady...Ted Thompson dropped the ball on that one..Come on...is he the damn GM, or is he not. He should have had some 'NADS and went after Moss agressively.....(as I'm sure Wolf would have) It would be a different story today.

Wolf always said his one regret was not getting enough "players" or talent for Brett Favre to work with...

I just wonder if Ted is the face of all these drama...Could he actually be a scape goat?

This past weekend on espn milwaukee, jason wilde dropped some hints to things, that MAYBE the board is running things on the football side..Or are more involded than they have been in the past..

During Harlan times, the board never had anything to do with football operations, and he said that now it has changed..

Might be funny when all said and done that people are all blaming Ted when in fact the board is the one telling Ted what to do

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just wonder if Ted is the face of all these drama...Could he actually be a scape goat?

This past weekend on espn milwaukee, jason wilde dropped some hints to things, that MAYBE the board is running things on the football side..Or are more involded than they have been in the past..

During Harlan times, the board never had anything to do with football operations, and he said that now it has changed..

Might be funny when all said and done that people are all blaming Ted when in fact the board is the one telling Ted what to do
If that's the case, then Ted IS to blame, because he let them make him a puppet. What kind of self-respected GM let the board or the owners interfere with his job?

BTW, why does it allways have to be about Favre and what Ted Thompson did or didn't do for Favre? Talk about :sFun_DeadHorse:

And it's allways the same people bringing the same subject over and over and over again! Like we didn't have this discussion before...

Bla bla bla Randy Moss bla bla bla Rodgers is the devil bla bla bla!

The OL is a real problem, the pass defense, the running game...

But I digress... We're talking here about the best interest of Brett Favre, and not the Green Bay Packers, right?

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beating a dead horse plays a huge part of all sports talk. Any mention of Favre is just that because the guy has been covered every which way imaginable but a lot of people like to read articles about him even though they really dont say anything new.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But what was the risk, a low draft choice and a low one year contract. Get him into camp a see what happens, worst case you release him. He was being paid like he was a number 3 receiver that first year. We did the same with Woodson coming from the Raiders, and that turned out well.

Its not like we were giving up big money and draft picks to take a chance on this guy.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But what was the risk, a low draft choice and a low one year contract. Get him into camp a see what happens, worst case you release him. He was being paid like he was a number 3 receiver that first year. We did the same with Woodson coming from the Raiders, and that turned out well.

Its not like we were giving up big money and draft picks to take a chance on this guy.
It was a low draft pick FOR THE PATRIOTS. If you know the real story, please post it, because I don't know, and all I hear are conjectures... What I do know is that TT DID talked to Oakland about Randy Moss.

Who's to say it wasn't the same with Tony Gonzales? It was all accorded between both parts, but in the end Kansas City tried to raise the price (2nd round pick, instead of a 3rd) in the last minute, which broke the deal.
-
And like I said, it's not going to change anything now, and it's not like we needed another receiver. I get much more riled up about him not signing Canty and Olshansky than the Randy Moss thing.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a low draft pick FOR THE PATRIOTS. If you know the real story, please post it, because I don't know, and all I hear are conjectures... What I do know is that TT DID talked to Oakland about Randy Moss.

Who's to say it wasn't the same with Tony Gonzales? It was all accorded between both parts, but in the end Kansas City tried to raise the price (2nd round pick, instead of a 3rd) in the last minute, which broke the deal.
-
And like I said, it's not going to change anything now, and it's not like we needed another receiver. I get much more riled up about him not signing Canty and Olshansky than the Randy Moss thing.

The thing is even if he did try to bring him in, he didn't seal the deal. In the NFL trying is not good enough. Every GM/coach tries to do better.

Members online

Latest posts