Troy Polamalu

ArnoldSlick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We heard Clay Matthews name more.

Which shows who the real DPOY is and that those who voted for Troy made a mistake.

A lurker Steeler fan here. Congratulations on the win, the better team on the night won. The Pack played clean(no turnovers) and the Steelers didn't. Can't turn the ball over against a good team that many times and expect to win.

I just had to respond about Troy. He did not have his best game last night and no he wasn't 100% but after 19 or 20 full go games this year I would say very few players on either team were. The way the Steelers have structured the defense they(and Troy) always have trouble with the spread. They don't spend money or high draft picks (aside from Troy) on the secondary and rarely have the personnel to play a ton of man against the spread(successfully anyway). Especially against an offense like Green Bay's Troy is almost always forced to play deep aside from the occasional blitz. Lebeau plans on keeping everything in front of the db's and making a team string together completions to get down the field, figuring the rush will get to the qb or he can confuse him before they can get points. This takes Troy away from his strength which is being closer to the box and running around making plays. He is not bad in coverage he is just not as much of a difference maker. Also if he is back in a two deep it is pretty easy to avoid him if you want to.

Polamalu made a ton of game changing plays this year so I think he deserved DPOY, although I think it could have gone to about 6 different guys and I wouldn't have complained. Troy didnt play great last night but when you make a mistake in the secondary it is almost always visible. Don't judge anyone's year by one game or a handful of plays. Bloodline had some rough moments against the run last night and I don't think anyone is downgrading him.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember him one time; he popped Jennings AFTER he crossed the goal line. Mathews is the true NFL player of the year.
Was that a legal hit?
Or could he not stop himself from the momentum of running at Jennings?
Cheap shot or not?
What do you think?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what you base your argument on?

Get serious.
My point is that Clay was more of a playmaker and game changer.
If you don't agree, then your the one who needs to get serious!

Since you have such a desire to defend a Steelers player against the Packers players then you should leave and go here:http://www.steelernation.com/forums/content.php
You'd be more at home there among your own kind.
(You claim to be a Packers fan and your attacking the Packers and their fans and supporting the Stealers? LOL)

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
He made a TD saving ankle tackle on the 33 yarder to Jennings on our last drive of the game where we got the Crosby field goal.

That's pretty much it.

ArnoldSlick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He made a TD saving ankle tackle on the 33 yarder to Jennings on our last drive of the game where we got the Crosby field goal.

That's pretty much it.

Once again, Troy did not have a great game but if you always are playing deep to help out your corners it makes it hard to make a lot of plays. Ike Taylor is an above average corner( not great but solid), but McFadden and Gay are barely average on their VERY BEST days( and McFadden was playing on a bad hip and couldn't run). You guys are lucky to have several corners who can man people up, but if you didn't Woody would be out on an island not getting any action instead of moving down around the box and making plays in the dime and nickel. Corners make a hell of a difference>

Preacher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some very good posts here... and some dreamland posts as well.

Last night, what you saw was the result of an Excellent scheme AND excellent execution. Today, Rodgers actually SAID that they planned to do two things to deal with Troy. 1. Identify HIM on every play, and 2. Not let him come up close to the line. Our third and fourth CB's are not good-no surprise, heck, our pass defense isn't good. I've been saying that for quite some time.

So when teams decide to spread out, Troy has to stay back. He got burned once, and jumped the wrong route once. The first one, oh well. It happens to everyone once in a while. The second one, is the result of excellent tape work, and scheming. The tape showed the top of that route as a post, the WR and QB were on the same page, knew that was the pattern, and instead, moved to the outside half of the route tree.

That doesn't negate, in anyway, Troy's play over the last 5 months. As far as Matthews is concerned, he got a head on the football and popped it out. Great. But that one play again, doesn't say he is better over the last five months.

As said before, Harrison actually had a decent game, with a sack, some knockdowns, and pressures.

I was VERY impressed with our center, as Raji was a non-entity in the game.

Enjoy the win. It was well earned by the Pack. But please don't let 3 turnovers color your view of the last 5 months of football.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
I was just looking at the stats - weird. Michael Wallace had as many tackles as James Harrison last night. :snack:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts