***TRANSACTION: Packers claim OG Tony Palmer from St. Louis

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SUNDAY, Sept. 3, 2006, 2:17 p.m.
By Tom Silverstein
Packers claim guard on waivers

With only eight offensive linemen on their roster and 51 players overall, the Green Bay Packers decided to take a look at a young guard to see if he has a future with the team.

The Packers claimed and were awarded 6-foot-2, 330-pound guard Tony Palmer from the St. Louis Rams. Palmer was a seventh-round draft choice from the University of Missouri who saw only limited action during the exhibition season.

It's unclear whether the Packers claimed simply to bring him in for a workout or if they think he's someone that can help them down the road.

"They wouldn't claim him just to bring him in," said Palmer's agent, Peter Schaffer. "He's a great young man with a great family. He has a lot of talent. Six teams wanted to put him on their practice squad. It's an indication the kid has talent."

Though the Rams cut Palmer, they clearly wanted him back on their practice squad and thought of him as someone they could develop. After acquiring veteran guard Adam Goldberg in a trade with Minnesota, they appear to have run into a numbers problem.

"We'd love to have him back," Linehan said Saturday after cutting Palmer. "He's going to develop into, I think, a real fine offensive guard in the NFL."

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: ***TRANSACTION: Packers claim OG Tony Palmer from St. Lo

:D Guess this should be the final proof that it's re-building time regardless of what MM says it is. OK! Let's go forth and kick some a**. Chicago look out!!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he can play. I like the pick up. Although I was looking for a veteran, I'll take anyone with talent.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what do you mean, pyle? You seen him play, and he's not athletic? Some big boys can move.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

pyledriver80 said:
6'2 330? Uhhhh, this guy obviously doesn't fit the scheme

Too big?

Perhaps I'm ignorant on this, but what is the ideal size for the scheme?

6'2 280? Just guessing here.

I think for zone blocking they need more agile quick guys then big jumbo guys like Will Whitticker.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OVERVIEW

The stout left offensive guard has been a major reason that the Tigers have had so much offensive success the last three seasons. He is literally a pancake-making factory, averaging 8.39 knockdown blocks per game during his last two years. One of the most powerful blockers in the collegiate ranks, he wowed pro scout when he bench pressed 225 pounds 41 times recently.

After redshirting in 2001 at Missouri, Tony earned fourth-team Freshman All-American honors in 2002, ranking second on the team in blocking consistency while starting nine games. He added All-Big Twelve Conference honorable mention in 2003, helping the Tigers rank sixth in the nation with 3,089 yards rushing.

Palmer showed his pass blocking skills in 2004, as the team went back to an aerial attack. He was a second-team All-Big Twelve choice, compiling 91 knockdowns as the team averaged over 207 yards per game passing. He was a first-team All-Big Twelve pick while serving as team captain as a senior. Despite playing in an offense that featured constant scrambling by QB Brad Smith, Palmer did not allow a sack on 981 plays. He finished his career by starting his final 42 games.

ANALYSIS
Tough and physical blocker who is best served staying stationed at the line of scrimmage, where he excels at creating a new line for the running game… Has a powerful anchor and can easily hold the point vs. a strong bull rush…Classic fist fighter who relies on his initial punch to shock and jolt…Focused and competitive blocker who is capable of calling blocking assignments and could shift to center at the next level to take advantage of his hand punch and ability to anchor.

When Palmer gets his hands on the defender, he can separate with his long arms. He plays with good awareness and can see the twist, doing a very good job of picking it up.
As a run blocker, he shows good short area pop and explosion, He works to stay in front of the defender and is consistent to lock on and sustain.

Bio courtesy of NFLDraftScout.com

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
billv said:
ANALYSIS
Tough and physical blocker who is best served staying stationed at the line of scrimmage, where he excels at creating a new line for the running game… Has a powerful anchor and can easily hold the point vs. a strong bull rush…Classic fist fighter who relies on his initial punch to shock and jolt…Focused and competitive blocker who is capable of calling blocking assignments and could shift to center at the next level to take advantage of his hand punch and ability to anchor.

I don't know but this seems odd. "Best suited staying stationed atthe lineof scrimmage".......WTF???

If you wanted a big guy, there were much better ones available for the last 4 months. Oh well at least we have 52 people on our roster now.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
6'2 330? Uhhhh, this guy obviously doesn't fit the scheme

Too big?

Perhaps I'm ignorant on this, but what is the ideal size for the scheme?

6'2 280? Just guessing here.

I think for zone blocking they need more agile quick guys then big jumbo guys like Will Whitticker.
I'd say 315 is the heaviest you want in the scheme for a guard. Maybe a little more but not to much. He must be a very athletic to workout in the scheme. Perhaps they think of him as a tackle so Coston can work full time at Guard. Frankly I don't like the move. I think there was better talent out there but at least it's somebody. I still believe we need to pick a WR up. If we don’t I’ll be very disappointed.

rob836

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | T. Palmer claimed off waivers
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:49:34 -0700

The Green Bay Packers announced they have claimed OG Tony Palmer off waivers from the St. Louis Rams.

Packers | Horton released
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:38:56 -0700

The Green Bay Packers announced they have released CB Jason Horton.

Packers | J. Bush claimed off waivers
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:38:11 -0700

The Green Bay Packers announced they have claimed CB Jarrett Bush off waivers from the Carolina Panthers.

Packers | Peprah claimed off waivers
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:37:38 -0700

The Green Bay Packers announced they have claimed S Charlie Peprah off waivers from the New York Giants

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yay, an undrafted free agent CB

Undrafted Free Agent CB > Ahmad Carroll
(probably)

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't want to be negative but is it's hard to get to excited on a guy just cause other teams wanted him on their practice squad but maybe he's a project which won't help us out much this year. At least they're trying

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I'm not liking the fact we only have 4 WR's. Did they not learn from last year? Walker went down and we were down to 3 or 4. Then another guy went down and it was to late to find anyone. This definitely is a bad move in my opinion by Thompson. Out of the entire off season this might be my least favorite move. Keeping an extra TE over WR.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
we can still cut someone

those three we brought in ... who knows maybe one is more important than someone that was kept previously and will soon be cut

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cdnfavrefan said:
Don't want to be negative but is it's hard to get to excited on a guy just cause other teams wanted him on their practice squad but maybe he's a project which won't help us out much this year. At least they're trying
Without an injury to Dotson, Tauscher more than likely wouldn't have made onto the 1st team in 2000. As a 7th round pick himself he didn't really standout in his rookie training camp.

I am not saying Palmer is Tauscher but he could develop into a solid player. Then again be could be a waste of a roster position. Time will tell.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score

who????? This is TT big move? What is going on here. Let's try and get some big names, like Charles Rogers.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Porky that he sounds more like a tackle than a guard, at least in this offense. The description doesn't make him sound like the kind of quick lineman that fits this scheme. It's a questionable move.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's obvious that we need depth on the OL but a 7th round rookie headed for the practice squad wasn't what I had in mind.
Perhaps we are moving away from that cluster**** zone blocking scheme.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yooperfan said:
It's obvious that we need depth on the OL but a 7th round rookie headed for the practice squad wasn't what I had in mind.
Perhaps we are moving away from that cluster**** zone blocking scheme.

Well, I sure hope not. That would be worse than Bob Slowik's defense abandoning the blitz after one loss a couple years ago. An Atlanta fan who visited this site during the preseason said that when the Falcons first adopted this scheme the running game was terrible in the preseason and for about the first four games of the season, to the point where some fans thought Warrick Dunn should be benched. But then they got it going and ended up leading the league in rushing. So it's way too early to abandon the zone blocking scheme.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greg C. said:
Well, I sure hope not. That would be worse than Bob Slowik's defense abandoning the blitz after one loss a couple years ago. An Atlanta fan who visited this site during the preseason said that when the Falcons first adopted this scheme the running game was terrible in the preseason and for about the first four games of the season, to the point where some fans thought Warrick Dunn should be benched. But then they got it going and ended up leading the league in rushing. So it's way too early to abandon the zone blocking scheme.

You have a point. However, I doubt Atlanta filled their line with rookies and 7th rounders headed for the practice squad.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Anubis said:
You have a point. However, I doubt Atlanta filled their line with rookies and 7th rounders headed for the practice squad.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

True. With two rookie guards, it will probably take longer than it took Atlanta to get the running game going. And we don't have Warrick Dunn or Michael Vick, either. We will need to be patient and hope this change in offensive strategy eventually pays off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts