Trade Matt Flynn for...

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasnt wondering about the draft I was wondering if since they are lifting the lockout would that allow for trades to happen.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think that really, the jury is still out on whether his success in one game against New England is enough evidence to say he'd make a good starting QB somewhere. He may, or he may not.

Doesn't matter if the jury is still out. What matters is how other teams perceive his body of work, and if he did enough in that one game to convince another team to make a play for him. I think he did, and here's why-

Teams constantly roll the dice by taking rookie quarterbacks on draft day, especially in the first round. They throw gobs of money at them without ever seeing how they perform in an actual game. With Flynn, they got to see a prospective quarterback play, and play well, in a nationally televised game in front of millions of people. The fact that he damn near beat what was then the best team in the league in front of a national audience will speak volumes, and boost his stock.

As for value, I don't know if I can see a first being offered, but definitely a 3rd and possibly even a second. If there's a good showing this preseason, and depending on how Graham Harrell comes along, we could even make a trade for some higher 2012 picks.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasnt wondering about the draft I was wondering if since they are lifting the lockout would that allow for trades to happen.

The point I was trying to make is there would not have to be a lifting of the lockout for the draft to happen. The ability for the NFL to hold it's draft is not impacted in the slightest by the lockout.

The only thing the lockout will prohibit in response to draft day is teams being able to sign the new players. Otherwise all rules hold.

In other words, no, teams cannot make trades for currently signed players over draft weekend. They can trade draft picks, but players currently under contract, i.e. Matt Flynn, cannot be traded.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sure they have leverage, they can put a tag on him next year (depending on the CBA) and then shop him around. It's easier on the team to do it this year and draft a QB in round 5-7 and have him working through the QB school with Graham Harrell

Problem is QB school may not be able to happen. Coaches are not permitted to have contact with players without a new CBA in place after March 4th. That's going to be killer for players like Graham Harrell, who need the development.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is QB school may not be able to happen. Coaches are not permitted to have contact with players without a new CBA in place after March 4th. That's going to be killer for players like Graham Harrell, who need the development.

thats true, but he can still work on being a better QB and they have till March 3rd to get stuff situated so he has the playbook and videos and w/e else is needed for him to study

plus he can pick Rodgers and Flynn's brains while they are off and i'm sure MM will talk to them all about that.

PackersATW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Thompson trading Flynn. Like some have said I don't see anyone parting with more than a 3rd or slight possiblity of a 2nd round draft pick either.

The value of having an extremely solid backup QB for a Super Bowl run is greater than a 3rd or 2nd round pick.

If you're talking a first well than there's a temptation! :)

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers' Flynn drawing a lot of trade interest? - CBSSports.com
Packers' Flynn drawing a lot of trade interest?

Posted on: February 13, 2011 1:15 pm
Edited on: February 13, 2011 1:25 pm
Score: 157
Log-in to rate:
Log-in to rate:
Posted by Will Brinson

There are three names -- Kevin Kolb, Donovan McNabb, Vince Young -- that really stand out when discussing free agent or trade options for teams in need of a quarterback. But it might be time to add a fourth: Matt Flynn.

The Packers backup quarterback, who nearly took down the Patriots in their Week 15 Sunday night primetime matchup, is drawing a lot of attention from other teams, according to Dan Pompei of the National Football Post.

Pompei cites Green Bay sources who believe Flynn is "ready to start" -- the obstacle to that is, clearly, Aaron Rodgers.

Green Bay doesn't likely want to get rid of Flynn, but he's "developed consistently" under Mike McCarthy and the current Packers coaching staff, and it's hard to imagine that his value will get too much higher than it is right now.

Because there are so many quarterback-needy teams -- Carolina, Washington, Minnesota, Seattle, San Francisco, Arizona, Miami and Tennessee all fall under the "immediately desperate" category -- the Packers stand a good chance of getting a high draft pick in exchange for their backup.

Pompei believes it's possible for Green Bay to pull a second-rounder, and that seems like pretty fair market value. Although if that's the case, you can probably rule Carolina, Washington and Minnesota out of the running -- the Panthers don't have a second-rounder, the 'Skins just traded a second-rounder for a QB last year and the Vikings are in the same division.

But if one of those other teams really wants a quarterback right now, and they see the draft as the only opportunity, a second-rounder for a young, ready-to-start QB like Flynn might seem like pretty good value, as opposed to reaching for a project like Ryan Mallett or Jake Locker. Especially when you consider what Washington paid for McNabb last year.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be stunned if we got a 1st straight up for Flynn. Cassel went 10-5, posted good stats, and only went for a 2nd (plus Vrabel had to be given up, also).

Someone might give up a high second rounder, though. The QB Draft class is weak and I think Flynn is a more intriguing than any of the four main choices in the draft. SF & TEN are strong possibilities for high second rounders (Assuming they have 2nd rounders).

If we can't get a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder plus something, I'd just keep him.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for value, I don't know if I can see a first being offered, but definitely a 3rd and possibly even a second. If there's a good showing this preseason, and depending on how Graham Harrell comes along, we could even make a trade for some higher 2012 picks.

Thank you for being realistic. I could see a team parting with a low second round pick or third round pick for Flynn. 1st Round picks are highly valued. I just can't see a team at the back of the first round trading the pick.

You did bring up an interesting point. What if TT roles the dice and gets a 4th and a conditional draft pick in 2012. Depending on the conditions (i.e. playoff birth/Pro-Bowl), the 2012 pick could be a first rounder.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you for being realistic. I could see a team parting with a low second round pick or third round pick for Flynn. 1st Round picks are highly valued. I just can't see a team at the back of the first round trading the pick.

You did bring up an interesting point. What if TT roles the dice and gets a 4th and a conditional draft pick in 2012. Depending on the conditions (i.e. playoff birth/Pro-Bowl), the 2012 pick could be a first rounder.

how many spots in the first round would it take to move up for you to think we got a fair deal?

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we keep him for another year and draft another QB in the later rounds, we might be able to get more for him next year!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, let's look at this realisticly... Teams drafting #26 through #31 all have franchise-type QB's. You have Big Ben, Cutler, Sanchez, Brady, Ryan and Flacco.

The Seattle Seahawks draft #25. They traded a high pick for Whitehurst last year.

Teams drafting #24 through #17 all have franchise-type QB's and don't need Flynn. You have Brees, Vick/Kolb, Peyton Manning, Cassel, Freeman, Manning #2, Rivers and Tom Brady again.

The closest team that would trade for Matt Flynn in the first round would be Jacksonville at #16. As the first round stands right now, the Packers ony shot at moving up in the first round is to #16. The #32 pick is worth 590 points and the #16 pick is worth 1000 points. That would make Flynn worth 410 points, equivalent to the 17th pick in the second round.

In the real world, GB has a better chance of getting a pick in the top of the second round. Arizona, San Francisco and Tennessee seem like the ideal choices.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That "point value" system is so retarded, completely made up by Jimmy Johnson and everyone adopted it. Frankly I hope that w/e rookie wage scale system makes that thing obsolete. All it takes is one GM to think that a 3 year guy is greater than a rookie and will cost them more up front.

of course trading him before or during the draft completely depends on the CBA

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn for Cameron Wake :)

I know im dreaming but its the preseason and I need something to dream about haha. But seriously, the Phins would be dumb not to do that.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn for Cameron Wake :)

I know im dreaming but its the preseason and I need something to dream about haha. But seriously, the Phins would be dumb not to do that.

Flynn + what kind of draft pick. 3rd round?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not giving up a pick. Phins would win more games with Fynn than Wake.

He is making about a half mil a year, so its cap friendly.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow the guy is 29. Didn't see that one coming. They should give us a pick.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Flynn leaves next season the Packers will receive no draft picks in compensation.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
What I don't get is why these teams didn't go for Flynn, yet kept their same ****** qb with problems.

1. San Francisco
Jim Harbaugh is retarded thinking one of the biggest busts ever that they took over Rodgers, will win 8 games this year :shok:

2. Arizona
They were listening to ESPN too much if they really think Kevin Kolb is good.

3. Miami
WHY THE HELL IS CHAD HENNE STILL THE STARTER!!!!?????
Are they on crack? Oh wait, it must be cocaine since that city was the home of all the kingpin drug lords in the 80's.

4. Washington
Mike Shanahan finally proved that he only won 2 Super Bowls because of two guys; Elway and Davis. I know McNabb is not that wonderful, but he is stupid if he thinks Rex and John Beck is a better replacement.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts