Trade Greg Jennings?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point if I were TT I would be thinking Raji is going to have to take a pay cut if he doesn't get things in gear. He is not the same guy as 2 years ago, constantly blowing up the offensive line. I would be looking at NT very closely in the coming draft.
Raji saw my post. He had a couple great plays where he absolutely blew up the OL trying to block him. Nice work! I wonder what was different?

Marem19

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Greg has been hurt he makes us so much better so I want us to keep him. I say trade Finley and use some of that for keeping jennings

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you watched the CHI game, I think you might have your answer.

Definitely agree.

I see you agreed with the statement that if Jennings cost so much it will hurt the team, you'd be willing to let him go. I'm glad you've finally come around to my way of thinking.

I think you're mistaken about what was being debated in that other thread.

From the Packers perspective, letting Jennings go appears to make a lot of sense with all the other contracts coming up.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll keep him if they think they have a good chance of winning it all this year. No way they can keep him and Rodgers, and Mathews. Maybe they'd pick him over Raji, but probably not. Thing is, as good as Jennings is, they have Nelson and it looks like Cobb is going to be their next big weapon. I'm really interested to see what they do here...

H

HardRightEdge

Definitely agree.

I think you're mistaken about what was being debated in that other thread.

From the Packers perspective, letting Jennings go appears to make a lot of sense with all the other contracts coming up.

Oh, right...all that tilting at the "security" windmill.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
While Greg has been hurt he makes us so much better so I want us to keep him. I say trade Finley and use some of that for keeping jennings
I believe Finley is due a $3.5M roster bonus in March of 2013 and then a salary of $4.45M (along with $300K in off season workout bonuses). That approximate $8M all counts against the cap so that would be a significant savings. We’ll find out in March what their plans for him are. We all know he’s got great physical talent and creates the kind of mismatches McCarthy loves to exploit. But if he’s not reliable catching and hanging onto the ball, the mismatch becomes meaningless. Let’s hope he plays so well the rest of this season he causes the Packers to make a tough decision, one way or another

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way I see us keeping Jennings is if a James Jones scenario happens and the market doesn't throw money at him so he comes back to Green Bay.

This likely won't happen unless he struggles throughout the year though.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GJ will not talk contract during the season.
He is going to be the #1 FA next off-season.
I never really thought about trading him though.
It would make a lot of sense.
BUT...
I really think we could use him for this years playoff / SB run.....
every weapon counts when #12 is at the helm and #85 just might be his best one.

I'd say keep him.

But then he's gone in FA, along with JFin

(imho)

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Raji saw my post. He had a couple great plays where he absolutely blew up the OL trying to block him. Nice work! I wonder what was different?
He may have also seen that there are more than a few high round NT who are eligible for this coming years draft.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Finley is due a roster bonus next March. That’s not guaranteed; it’s conditional as he has to be on the roster to collect it. Although it involved a lot of money, Finley signed a contract favorable to the Packers – just a two year deal including guarantees for just one. In exchange, the Packers agreed to the roster bonus so they have to decide before (or at) the beginning of the UFA period next year whether to pay it or not. That gives Finley the leverage of becoming a UFA and offering his services to any NFL team. As I understand it, a roster bonus is different than a signing bonus as it isn’t prorated: IOW the roster bonus due Finley is entirely voidable in both actual payment and with regard to cap consequences. What happens many times in this situation if the team wants to retain the player due such a bonus is the team and player agree to a long-term contract with a signing bonus that is prorated, thus lessening the cap ramifications for the team and providing multi-year security for the player. Because of the need to extend Rodgers, Matthews, Raji, and perhaps Jennings it doesn’t look to me like that’s going to happen.

Finley is one of the least popular Packers among Packers fans but IMO he deserves credit for agreeing to this contract which is, in effect, a one year bet on himself.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Finley is one of the least popular Packers among Packers fans but IMO he deserves credit for agreeing to this contract which is, in effect, a one year bet on himself.
I have a new found respect for him. Hope he can win that bet, it'd be nice to see him return to form. Maybe his training with Fitz will kick in soon

_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As hard as it's to say, let him go. Our other receivers are good enough to play on a great level. The money can be spend elsewhere. Remember, it's just a business!

Also, if anyone is clueless, we spent a lot of draft picks on W/R's for a reason, also with Cobb emerging, Jennings is not coming back, sorry. Just so you're not totally surprised.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams most likely to trade/want Jennings (come March/April when a trade is likely):

-Rams
-Chargers
-Browns
-Dolphins

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers mentality of dumping a player a year too early than too late, and his recent string of injuries (knee problems and his lingering groin issue) combined with the amount he'll be asking for, i think its safe to say hes probably a goner after this year. Especially with Cobb and maybe Jones coming into their own.

Members online

Latest posts