trade for Gonzalez

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should offer a couple picks to KC for Gonzalez. We are weak at TE and it gives defenses another receiver to worry about plus would be a nice release valve for Rodgers. Shockey got a second and fifth for the Giants. Offer the same to KC for Gonzalez. I would not give a first.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Giants offered a 6 already...we should try a 4th since we know we get that for Favre. I believe a fourth will get him. Giants,Bills and Eagles want him too.

majikmanseven

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd even give up the 3rd. We have plenty of cap room and with injuries on defense that will last all season... (jenkins, harris, etc.) why not give AR another weapon? After losing out on Moss and the favre mess... TT has a chance to upgrade us significantly at a key position. I mean, chanes are AR would welcome the addition...they are both Cal alumni and from similar area. If this doesn't happen because TT won't part with a #3 as opposed to a #4 ... that is nuts. That is like saying we don't think Gonzales is any better than Jermichael Finley.

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would add some depth to the TE but I highly doubt that TT will give a draft pick for a player who will probably end his career soon.

Plus he's looking for a super bowl contender, and as of now I can't say we fit that description.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I agree he would help us, but for how long? If he just plays for 1-2 more years, I don't think anymore then a 6th round draft pick is worth it. We could pick up a player that will help for the next 10+ years with that pick.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
longevity is not what your looking for in this type of trade...just getting folks to get you over the top.

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I like the idea of having Gonzalez in green and gold.. but I highly doubt that Thompson would give up anything more than a 5th rounder, remember he tried to bring in Jason Taylor.. so that shows that hes fine with bringin in proven vets w/ the right price. But I dont think that the packers will be the ones offering the most for Gonzalez.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only problem with that, is DOn't we need a TE that can block? Isn't Gonzalez more of a pass catcher than a blocker?

packerbackerinin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this would be a great trade especially if we are going to get 2 picks in that round. It's at least worth a shot. Sort of a no brainer to me. GO PACK GO!!!

grandtkd23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The Green Bay Packers could have acquired tight end Tony Gonzalez from the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday but they refused to part with a second-round draft choice. A source familiar with negotiations told the Journal Sentinel that Chiefs President Carl Peterson ultimately decided to retain Gonzalez after turning down the best offer from Green Bay, which was a third-round selection. The source said Peterson wanted a second-rounder to make the deal."

(Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel).............

So it seems here that the Packers were the top bidders in the T. Gonzalez sweepstakes. im surprised that TT would even offer that high of a draft choice. I think TE is the least of our worries at the moment.

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its too bad too, Tony even said they were asking too much, he understands his worth. He said he would have gladly gone to Green Bay for 3rd.

We just all know that Peterson didn't want to loose him.

grandtkd23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So now this begs another question.. With TT being the highest bidder for Gonzalez this year, does he go after Gonzalez again in the offseason?

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Info out there is that we would only go with a 3rd and KC wanted a 2nd round pick. To me Tony Gonzalez is worth a 2nd round pick. The guy has been to 9 straight pro bowls I think, and he stated he wants to play at least 3 more years. Also we have the cap room to absorb his high salary. I mean how many draft picks does a GM need??? We have the youngest team in the league again this year, at some point in time you need to add a few more key veterans like a Gonzalez if you want to take a step forward. Break it down for me, a surefire pro bowl TE for the next 3 years is well worth a 2nd round draft pick. This guy would be huge for Rodgers on 3rd downs and in the red zone. Once again we lose out on a great deal!!! Pretty convinced that we are doomed to be good not great under Teddy boy! This has to boil down to the fact that TT does not see TE as a position that he is willing to stick that kind of money into, can't be anything else, Gonzo is not a character risk guy, he is a classy veteran. Would have been a nice marriage in my humble opinion. He can't hide behind that cliche "We are always trying to improve the team", because if you were Gonzalez would be in Green Bay this weekend.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We lost out? Why we were the highest bidder and the other party did not bite. It happens out there in the real world. Also since there were other teams interested it drove the market higher. Would you Trade Jennings for a second round pick. (OH wait thats were we found him) I would have liked GOnzales as much as the next guy. He was from another O system though and it would have took time for him to adjust. Think about it. a second round pick for a player you might get 2-3 years out of at diminished capacity possibly every year. Or a second round guy that at least you get a shot of 7 years out of.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Better article

Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal wrote late Wednesday night Gonzalez wouldn't consider the Bills or Falcons, that he wanted to play for the Packers. Wilde reported the Packers thought they had a deal and drew up the paperwork for a third-round choice before Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson asked for a second-rounder 10 minutes before the Tuesday deadline.

Matato8

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know we had that much of a chance at getting him. I always hate it when we get so close but it never works out. Yeah, I thought Lee was good last year, but I guess I was wrong. Gonzalez would have been perfect!

Members online

Latest posts