Trade Aaron Rodgers NOW

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I like Aaron Rodgers I doubt he will ever be anything more than a decent QB. Brett Favre is looking better than ever, posting one of the best seasons of his career at the age of 38. Favre is enjoying the game as much as he ever has and could play several seasons.

If Ted Thompson can find a team in desperate need of a QB this off-season, willing to overpay in a Schaub-like trade, he should pull the lever. We should be able to pick up a 1st rounder, and then some, in a trade for Rodgers, how about picking Brian Brohm (Who I think is way more talented than Rodgers) ?

If Favre commits for an additional two seasons Rodgers will be 26-27 by the time he's starting, not old, however if we groom him too long my concern is that he will be a practice-player for life and unable adapt to the game as a starter, not probable but possible.

Adding some picks might not be a bad deal after all. Trade him now!

No buddy would ever give a first let alone a 1st and 3rd. You would get a high 2nd round pick on a guy thats still unknown. Rodgers is a TT project and the 1st guy he ever drafted. Lets trade away him to get another QB in round 1 to only have to teach him again. Then if Rodgers goes and outperforms Brohm TT looks like a complete idoit for trading him. Theres no way this is ever going to happen.

Reaction score
I think Rodgers and TT are connected at the hip.

Rodgers is Ted's guy, the one he chose to succeed Brett.

Giving him away would indicate the Ted made a mistake, and I don't think Ted believes he did by selecting Rodgers.

Ergo, Rodgers isn't going anywhere (unless you offer a boat load of first day picks, but I doubt anyone would do that).

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We heard the same tired, wrong headed arguments last year....

Brett has one year left in him...maybe...or he should be traded now!

How did that argument work out for ya?

Who should put down the crack pipe now, ea...??

I don't want Favre to retire at all. Infact, if you read my post, I say that he can do the job and do it well for another year or 2. I love Favre. I think he's one of the greatest QB's to play the game. But there's going to come a time when he's going to be satisfied with his career and he's going to hang up his jersey. Personally, I think it'll be in the next 2 years (hopefully after a SB win!).

And on that premise, I think it's a stupid idea to get rid of Rodgers. He shows a lot of promise as a future leader of this team, and I don't think I'm alone in that opinion.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we could always bring Grossman in for a looksee.....

God I crack myself up!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Actually, could you imagine the dagger in Bear fan hearts if we brought him in here, coached him up and he reached his potential?????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ...I really do crack myself up......ahh geeez....

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Giving him away would indicate the Ted made a mistake, and I don't think Ted believes he did by selecting Rodgers.

Ergo, Rodgers isn't going anywhere (unless you offer a boat load of first day picks, but I doubt anyone would do that).

Again..couldn't have said it any better.

And for the umpteenth time
for all the "Uh-duh..no one wanted Aaron for 23 picks..he's lucky we picked him..Uh-duh"...

Um..B.Favre was a 2nd round pick. Brady was past the 4th.

"Uh-duh"

Hope we don't have to go round and round on this point anymore.

And for your information. Aaron had a GREAT interview
w/the pack during the combine and T.T. TOLD AARON that he
wanted to draft him, but didn't think he'd be around.

Funny how things work out.

They are connected at the hip. This young ship was built by T.T. for Aaron.
Like it or not.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score

for all the "Uh-duh..no one wanted Aaron for 23 picks..he's lucky we picked him..Uh-duh"...

"Uh-duh"

Indeed!

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:wink:

"Uh-duh"

Like it or not.

So you're saying that TT didn't want Favre to come back all these years and was trying to force him to retire...?? :wink:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you agree with some of these jomokes here then Zombie that we should push Favre out the door because he is "retarding" Aaron Rodgers progress....? :wink:

Hell no. Favre is our best chance to win and will be for the next two or three years.

If he is not our best chance to win, MM will say so. So far, MM says Favre is.

But I wouldn't be quick to throw Rodgers out the door either. Having two good QBs is a problem you WANT to have.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:

"Uh-duh"

Like it or not.

So you're saying that TT didn't want Favre to come back all these years and was trying to force him to retire...?? :wink:

Nice job dodging your weak draft argument for the third time Fuzz.
Don't be a lawyer...=)

TT has to just take it. Think Bary Bonds. The SF Giants owners hate his guts, but they were so locked in w/his legend that they had to cave in to his demands and be held hostage as he came back every year.

They ended up trading away their best prospects to "win now" to get Barry a Word CHampionship.

IF T.T. wanted to build this team for Favre, he would've pulled
a Daniel Snyder and brought in more vet. free agents to "win now"

But he built the team through the draft and got a QB in the first
draft to be his cornerstone.

And to answer your question..YES..T.T. didn't want Favre back.
He wanted his own stamp on this team and Favre isn't on the stamp.

And the only thing "forced" is T.T. having to be forced to give his rebuilt roster to Favre to benefit from instead of Aaron.

And Fuzz,
THanks for the WINK, but I don't wink back at guys.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will never trade rodgers if he does it would be his worst move ever, considering brett is on his last year, who you willing to make our QB? a draft pick not even experienced...

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
Cal2GreenBay said:

"Uh-duh"

Like it or not.

Nice job dodging your weak draft argument for the third time Fuzz.
Don't be a lawyer...=)

TT has to just take it. Think Bary Bonds. The SF Giants owners hate his guts, but they were so locked in w/his legend that they had to cave in to his demands and be held hostage as he came back every year.

They ended up trading away their best prospects to "win now" to get Barry a Word CHampionship.

IF T.T. wanted to build this team for Favre, he would've pulled
a Daniel Snyder and brought in more vet. free agents to "win now"

But he built the team through the draft and got a QB in the first
draft to be his cornerstone.

And to answer your question..YES..T.T. didn't want Favre back.
He wanted his own stamp on this team and Favre isn't on the stamp.

And the only thing "forced" is T.T. having to be forced to give his rebuilt roster to Favre to benefit from instead of Aaron.

And Fuzz,
THanks for the WINK, but I don't wink back at guys.

I don't think he wanted Favre to retire at all. I think it has worked out perfectly for him. Favre has stuck around and taught all the "kids" how it is done. Provided wins when clearly, he was carrying the team. Taught Aaron what it takes to be a proven winner in the NFL, if not purely by example. And now, when Brett decides to hang them up, he has what he feels (and so do I) is a competent QB that will be able to grow into his positioin while the team will now be able to carry the QB whie he gets his feet under himself.

TT wants to win. That is his Job. Now, short term, and long term. Win. Put the best players on the field that he can attain. Have the best coaching possible.

Someone mentioned it before. Give Rodgers a long term starters pay for an average QB in the league. That should satisfy Rodgers. Then, when he becomes the QB and proves himself, rip up the contract and pay him like one of the better QB's.

Something to keep in mind. We are all assuming that Rodgers would be snapped up in free agency. Wasn't he also passed up by a bunch of teams a few years ago? What has he done in the past 3 years to warrant a big contract and have another team declare he is their next savior?

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are all assuming that Rodgers would be snapped up in free agency. Wasn't he also passed up by a bunch of teams a few years ago? What has he done in the past 3 years to warrant a big contract and have another team declare he is their next savior?

I was with you until you rehashed this above. Please tell me this was
sarcasm and you're just repeating it for kicks to talk about Aaron's draft
status as an indicator of his success.

BRETT FAVRE was passed by by EVERY TEAM in the first round. He was a 2nd rounder.

TOM BRADY was passed by by EVERY TEAM 4-5 times. He was a late round pick.

It's a weak argument. The draft thing. Let's let it die.

What did Matt Schaub do to warrant a trade and big contract?
He showed "potential". That's what Aaron showed.

Giving him a sizeable contract extension before next year.. to back up Favre a couple more years and putting in some bigger incentives for WHEN he does start..should keep Aaron around.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
trippster said:
We are all assuming that Rodgers would be snapped up in free agency. Wasn't he also passed up by a bunch of teams a few years ago? What has he done in the past 3 years to warrant a big contract and have another team declare he is their next savior?

BRETT FAVRE was passed by by EVERY TEAM in the first round. He was a 2nd rounder.

Giving him a sizeable contract extension before next year.. to back up Favre a couple more years and putting in some bigger incentives for WHEN he does start..should keep Aaron around.

you can't compare players BEFORE they were drafted to ones that have been in the league for a few years

The difference Cal is Brett/Tom were just out of college

Rodgers has had 3 years and I BET scouts, and GM's around the league have heard or seen things bout him now that he IS in the NFL..

*** Cal what proof do you have that TT wanted Brett gone?

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
trippster said:

you can't compare players BEFORE they were drafted to ones that have been in the league for a few years

The difference Cal is Brett/Tom were just out of college

Rodgers has had 3 years and I BET scouts, and GM's around the league have heard or seen things bout him now that he IS in the NFL..

*** Cal what proof do you have that TT wanted Brett gone?
Long time,

It's not a comparison of them BEFORE they were drafted. It's a comparison of WHEN they were drafted. I am with you long time fan.
It doesn't mean much.

I ONLY bring it up because the same people bring up the same point that there's a reason Aaron dropped in the first round of the draft.

Well in that case there was a reason Brett fell where he did(2nd rnd) and Tom Brady fell where he did(past 4th round) and they turned out fine.

SO we can't fault Aaron for his draft position. That's my point. So in that sense..yes you CAN compare as a point to negate draft status as a factor of NFL success.

Thompson drafting Aaron in the first round is proof that he was preparing for Favre to retire. Keep in mind..Brett's been holding the franchise hostage for 3-4 years now..always doing this "decision" thing at seaon's end.

Thompson had 2 other QBs (Craig Nall and JT OSullivan) in the wings already. He drafted Aaron in the first round to be a successor. And he then drafted the other young players in the last 3 years to put his stamp on the packers franchise. His players, his architecture..and slowly weeded out the ones from the old regime.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thompson drafting Aaron in the first round is proof that he was preparing for Favre to retire. Keep in mind..Brett's been holding the franchise hostage for 3-4 years now..always doing this "decision" thing at seaon's end.

Thompson had 2 other QBs (Craig Nall and JT OSullivan) in the wings already. He drafted Aaron in the first round to be a successor. And he then drafted the other young players in the last 3 years to put his stamp on the packers franchise. His players, his architecture..and slowly weeded out the ones from the old regime.

I dont think thats proof? Thats more being sure you got a plan..And more of YOUR personal opinion.

At the time Brett was about done, in fact people close to him had mentioned he was done and they were planning on selling their houses in the Wisconsin area..

My guess is Brett might have told Packer brass he was probably going to retire, but would think about it a while longer..

So Ted needed a q/b, he didnt like what was there if Brett was gone..Not that he wanted to run Brett out

And to hold them hostage, get ready to be attacked..

but he had the right to decide did he not? And thats EXACTLY why they drafted Rodgers to be on the safe side..

They were wondering what if Brett decided to play a few more years other then 2004? All the better they thought..Gives Rodgers MORE time

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:

I dont think thats proof? Thats more being sure you got a plan..And more of YOUR personal opinion.

At the time Brett was about done, in fact people close to him had mentioned he was done and they were planning on selling their houses in the Wisconsin area..

My guess is Brett might have told Packer brass he was probably going to retire, but would think about it a while longer..

So Ted needed a q/b, he didnt like what was there if Brett was gone..Not that he wanted to run Brett out

And to hold them hostage, get ready to be attacked..

but he had the right to decide did he not? And thats EXACTLY why they drafted Rodgers to be on the safe side..

They were wondering what if Brett decided to play a few more years other then 2004? All the better they thought..Gives Rodgers MORE time

I actually think the first two years was a good thing for Aaron to wait behind Brett. He did learn how to play and he matured under Brett.
In year 3(this year)...he showed he can now perform on this level.
That means the next logical step is for him to get some playing time.

SO we'll eagerly await Brett's annual decision.

BTW..good discussions w/you.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GB

You've got some ballz saying that TT didn't want Favre back, built the team around Aaron Rodgers, and that Favre is holding the team HOSTAGE! Arrogance isn't one of your small qualities, let me tell you that!

If I suggested that TT didn't want Favre back, I would be skewered six ways to Sunday on this forum. You do it...and no one bats an eye! Just goes to show you.....

To answer your question as to when Aaron Rodgers is going to play....How about whenever Favre TELLS him he can play...and LETS him play because he's had enough and is retiring.

It certainly won't be when Aaron Rodgers beats him out because he can't beat Favre out!

I hope Favre sticks around for 5 MORE YEARS, (and a few SB's) and the object of your affection has to ride the pines that long!

If what you say is true and TT really wants Rodgers instead of Favre, let him have the balls to cut or trade Favre this year!

Yeah...that'll go over like a lead balloon in Packerland...Cutting an NFL top 3, HOF QB from your roster to start the great unknown, Aaron (Glassman) Rodgers...

They'll run TT out of GB on a rail if he tried it....

(Hey...keep Rodgers for all I care TT. If he can wait 5 more years until the Master is through with his brilliant career in GB...so can I!)

Don't forget, Favre calls the shots in Green Bay, pal....and Aaron won't start until Brett is good and ready to LET him start.....if even then!
:thumbsup:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I thought I heard somewhere that the reason Aaron was drafted was because he was there and TT takes BPA.

And no, I'm not anti-Rodgers. If you read my last post on this thread, I very much want to see Rodgers resigned and taking over for Favre when he retires in 2-3 years.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cal...

Do you just want to see Rodgers play just for the sake of seeing how good he is or how bad he is, just to SEE?

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GB

You've got some ballz saying that TT didn't want Favre back, built the team around Aaron Rodgers, and that Favre is holding the team HOSTAGE! Arrogance isn't one of your small qualities, let me tell you that!

If I suggested that TT didn't want Favre back, I would be skewered six ways to Sunday on this forum. You do it...and no one bats an eye! Just goes to show you.....

To answer your question as to when Aaron Rodgers is going to play....How about whenever Favre TELLS him he can play...and LETS him play because he's had enough and is retiring.

It certainly won't be when Aaron Rodgers beats him out because he can't beat Favre out!

I hope Favre sticks around for 5 MORE YEARS, (and a few SB's) and the object of your affection has to ride the pines that long!

If what you say is true and TT really wants Rodgers instead of Favre, let him have the balls to cut or trade Favre this year!

Yeah...that'll go over like a lead balloon in Packerland...Cutting an NFL top 3, HOF QB from your roster to start the great unknown, Aaron (Glassman) Rodgers...

(Hey...keep Rodgers for all I care TT. If he can wait 5 more years until the Master is through with his brilliant career in GB...so can I!)

Don't forget, Favre calls the shots in Green Bay, pal....and Aaron won't start until Brett is good and ready to LET him start.....if even then!

You gonna keep on avoiding your weak draft argument? PLEASE don't be a lawyer. And since you keep avoiding it..it shows you have NO balls to defend your weak stance on the draft..

Fuzznuts "23 teams passed up on Aaron in the draft" blah blah.
Favre wasn't even drafted in the first round.
Brady wasn't until after the 4th round...
So knocking Aaron on his draft is SUCH a weak argument.

Logic and comprehension is truly one of your small, puny qualities.
Inane statements are definitely yours.

Just admit it...you crave the attention right?
that's the real reason? Just want to be outrageous?
Come on...I'll buy that. You can't really be like this right??
Come on buddy! Come out and tell us! You got us had right????

I don't back down by what I said and think of what T.T. did.

Your object of affection Favre blinds you from seeing the truth. 5 more years??? Brett Favre at 43 leading an NFL team and going to a superbowl? Do you see ANY HOF QB who did that?

5 years and a superbowl? Like a kid wishing Santa Claus to be true.

Keep your delusions going buddy.

Now say something else to get people to respond to you Fuzzy
and keep avoiding running from your weak arguments.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal...

Do you just want to see Rodgers play just for the sake of seeing how good he is or how bad he is, just to SEE?

It's not just to see. I know he's going to be good. That's why I want him to play. I just want YOU GUYS to see what i know.

As Mike McCarthy said. "I liken AJ Hawk to Aaron Rodgers..when they hit their comfort zone, you guys will all know what it's about"

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I like Aaron Rodgers I doubt he will ever be anything more than a decent QB. Brett Favre is looking better than ever, posting one of the best seasons of his career at the age of 38. Favre is enjoying the game as much as he ever has and could play several seasons.

If Ted Thompson can find a team in desperate need of a QB this off-season, willing to overpay in a Schaub-like trade, he should pull the lever. We should be able to pick up a 1st rounder, and then some, in a trade for Rodgers, how about picking Brian Brohm (Who I think is way more talented than Rodgers) ?

If Favre commits for an additional two seasons Rodgers will be 26-27 by the time he's starting, not old, however if we groom him too long my concern is that he will be a practice-player for life and unable adapt to the game as a starter, not probable but possible.

Adding some picks might not be a bad deal after all. Trade him now!

I completely dis-agree. You do not trade the future QB. I do not see Favre playing past next season if he does not retire.

Do you really think Favre is going to get better after 17 years of NFL pounding? I don't.

Keep Rodgers. He just may be the starter next season.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Favre did get better after 16 years of pounding and played what could of been his best season. Sad to see what a QB situatuin like this is doing to our fans and team when almost every other team is jelous of our situation. I'd like to think we can support both guys but fact is it doesn't matter who takes over for Brett it will be tough for him to win the fans over just like it was for any guy after Elway in Denver. For me it's just to bad Aaron couldn't stay healthy or we would of seen a lot more of him in the second half of the season. I can't see trading him after all we've invested in him so I just hope he's willing to hang around. I am a little tired of hearing the age argument when our 38 year old QB is better then and QB in their 20's right now. I know he's starting to age but I think Favre at 40 will still be better then most QB's in their 20's so I can't base everything on age. Perfect situation would of been drafting Rodgers this year but I guess life ain't perfect

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Favre did get better after 16 years of pounding and played what could of been his best season. Sad to see what a QB situatuin like this is doing to our fans and team when almost every other team is jelous of our situation. I'd like to think we can support both guys but fact is it doesn't matter who takes over for Brett it will be tough for him to win the fans over just like it was for any guy after Elway in Denver. For me it's just to bad Aaron couldn't stay healthy or we would of seen a lot more of him in the second half of the season. I can't see trading him after all we've invested in him so I just hope he's willing to hang around. I am a little tired of hearing the age argument when our 38 year old QB is better then and QB in their 20's right now. I know he's starting to age but I think Favre at 40 will still be better then most QB's in their 20's so I can't base everything on age. Perfect situation would of been drafting Rodgers this year but I guess life ain't perfect

Let me ask you guys...
Of all the first round QBs in the last 3 years...do you honestly prefer one of them over Aaron Rodgers?

Vince Young? Norm Chow couldn't make him smarter.
JP Losman? Nope. Got beat out by a 3rd rounder.
Jason Campbell? Uhuh.
Alex Smith? HAHAHAHA
Jay Cutler? You seen him play lately? No accident that the broncos have been out of contention these last two years.
Matt Lienart? He got benched for 40 year old Warner. Yeah.
Brady Quinn? Even MORE unproven than Aaron Rodgers
JaMarcus Russell? You seen him play?

Would you trade for ANY of these guys for Aaron Rodgers?

Appreciate what we have guys...

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
Cal2GB

You gonna keep on avoiding your weak draft argument? PLEASE don't be a lawyer. And since you keep avoiding it..it shows you have NO balls to defend your weak stance on the draft..

Fuzznuts "23 teams passed up on Aaron in the draft" blah blah.
Favre wasn't even drafted in the first round.
Brady wasn't until after the 4th round...
So knocking Aaron on his draft is SUCH a weak argument.

Logic and comprehension is truly one of your small, puny qualities.
Inane statements are definitely yours.

Just admit it...you crave the attention right?
that's the real reason? Just want to be outrageous?
Come on...I'll buy that. You can't really be like this right??
Come on buddy! Come out and tell us! You got us had right????

I don't back down by what I said and think of what T.T. did.

Your object of affection Favre blinds you from seeing the truth. 5 more years??? Brett Favre at 43 leading an NFL team and going to a superbowl? Do you see ANY HOF QB who did that?

5 years and a superbowl? Like a kid wishing Santa Claus to be true.

Keep your delusions going buddy.

Now say something else to get people to respond to you Fuzzy
and keep avoiding running from your weak arguments.

Sad. You are really sad in your pathetic attempt to try and prop up an unproven Tedford protege--none of which have ever panned out in the NFL....

I don't care where Rodgers was drafted. The point was he fell pretty far down because of the Tedford issue. The draft crap is over-rated anyway. Lots of first round guys don't pan out. If Aaron doesn't, don't be surprised.

I won't.

And to attack Favre is really sad. Especially in light of the fact that you attacked him this year, and how did that work out for you? You want to get rid of a top 3 NFL QB for bringing the team to the NFC Championship?

Sad. Really sad that you can't get over your personal bias and hero worship of a player who can't even break into the starting line-up.

Face it, Favre will be here for a few more years and win a few more championships for the great Green Bay Packer organization....

Oh, but don't worry....

Your precious Aaron will get his ring too for riding the pines...

Members online

Latest posts