Trade Aaron Rodgers NOW

Reaction score
If Ted Thompson can find a team in desperate need of a QB this off-season, willing to overpay in a Schaub-like trade, he should pull the lever. We should be able to pick up a 1st rounder, and then some, in a trade for Rodgers

First let's identify the teams that actually need a QB: Ravens, Dolphins, Jets, maybe the Chiefs, and maybe the Panthers.

The Dolphins have the 1st over pick, the Jets have the #6 overall pick, the Raves have the #8 overall pick, the Chiefs will have a pick in the top 5 (actual spot to be determined via coin flip), and the Panthers are going to pick 13 overall.

Basically the teams in need of a QB have top 10 picks, and they aren't likely to squander a top-10 pick on a back-up QB that has limited game action, comes from a school with a history of producing sub-par NFL QBs (Rodgers is a Jeff Tedford QB), and some questions over durability (second straight season he missed some time after getting injured).

At this point, all Rodgers has shown is that he can be a game managing QB. You spend a top-10 pick on a QB that can make plays on his own, create something when nothing is there.

You could argue that only leaves the Panthers, and they make a deal. I highly doubt it. The Panthers have everyone coming back from last years 7-9 team. That means the Panthers will rely heavily on the draft to bring in some new players, because they don't have the roster spots to go out and sign a bunch of free agents.

Secondly Bertram, Favre is only an injury away from being sidelined. Should that happen, who exactly will our QB be?

You NEED someone that has proven himself to be good enough to come in and run an offense without causing it to lose a step. You trade Aaron, you have to go with an unproven rookie/youngster, or Craig Nall. A youngster/rookie will need time to develop an understanding of our playbook and scheme. Nall couldn't beat Kelly Holcomb or JP Losman for the starters gig in Buffalo.

The Packers, specifically Mike McCarthy, have invested a lot of work in Aaron. They aren't going to let someone else benefit from that work. Rodgers is going nowhere, and for that I am thankful.

In other words, I agree with LT and Wils completely. Not sure what brought about this thread.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
If Ted Thompson can find a team in desperate need of a QB this off-season, willing to overpay in a Schaub-like trade, he should pull the lever. We should be able to pick up a 1st rounder, and then some, in a trade for Rodgers

First let's identify the teams that actually need a QB: Ravens, Dolphins, Jets, maybe the Chiefs, and maybe the Panthers.

The Dolphins have the 1st over pick, the Jets have the #6 overall pick, the Raves have the #8 overall pick, the Chiefs will have a pick in the top 5 (actual spot to be determined via coin flip), and the Panthers are going to pick 13 overall.

Basically the teams in need of a QB have top 10 picks, and they aren't likely to squander a top-10 pick on a back-up QB that has limited game action, comes from a school with a history of producing sub-par NFL QBs (Rodgers is a Jeff Tedford QB), and some questions over durability (second straight season he missed some time after getting injured).

At this point, all Rodgers has shown is that he can be a game managing QB. You spend a top-10 pick on a QB that can make plays on his own, create something when nothing is there.

You could argue that only leaves the Panthers, and they make a deal. I highly doubt it. The Panthers have everyone coming back from last years 7-9 team. That means the Panthers will rely heavily on the draft to bring in some new players, because they don't have the roster spots to go out and sign a bunch of free agents.

Secondly Bertram, Favre is only an injury away from being sidelined. Should that happen, who exactly will our QB be?

You NEED someone that has proven himself to be good enough to come in and run an offense without causing it to lose a step. You trade Aaron, you have to go with an unproven rookie/youngster, or Craig Nall. A youngster/rookie will need time to develop an understanding of our playbook and scheme. Nall couldn't beat Kelly Holcomb or JP Losman for the starters gig in Buffalo.

The Packers, specifically Mike McCarthy, has invested a lot of work in Aaron. They aren't going to let someone else benefit from that work. Rodgers is going nowhere, and for that I am thankful.

you forgot the BEARS

And this is what I basically said in my last post.

You NEED someone that has proven himself to be good enough to come in and run an offense without causing it to lose a step. You trade Aaron, you have to go with an unproven rookie/youngster, or Craig Nall. A youngster/rookie will need time to develop an understanding of our playbook and scheme.

The Packers, specifically Mike McCarthy, has invested a lot of work in Aaron. They aren't going to let someone else benefit from that work. Rodgers is going nowhere, and for that I am thankful.

Reaction score
Ha, just saw your post LT.

You could also argue Lions and Vikings in addition to the Bears, but trading a QB you've groomed for 3 years to a division rival is a very unwise move.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, Rodgers is nothing more than a project that is over-hyped, imo...

Nobody knows how good he's going to be until teams start preparing for him.

I don't think he's going to amount to much in the NFL....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now, Rodgers is nothing more than a project that is over-hyped, imo...

Nobody knows how good he's going to be until teams start preparing for him.

I don't think he's going to amount to much in the NFL....

How can you say

He is nothing more then a over hyped project

But then add in

Nobody knows how good he will be?

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hate to see this happen. I think Rogers has the ability to be very good, and I'd hate to see him leave only to tear up the NFL while the Packers are left with an unproven rookie to lead them.

Rogers is familiar with this system - a rookie would not be. Rogers is familiar with the receivers and has probably developed a repoire - a rookie has not.

I can understand if Rogers wanted to be traded - but if now, Green Bay should sit on him until the big guy decides to call it a career.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I like Aaron Rodgers I doubt he will ever be anything more than a decent QB. Brett Favre is looking better than ever, posting one of the best seasons of his career at the age of 38. Favre is enjoying the game as much as he ever has and could play several seasons.

If Ted Thompson can find a team in desperate need of a QB this off-season, willing to overpay in a Schaub-like trade, he should pull the lever. We should be able to pick up a 1st rounder, and then some, in a trade for Rodgers, how about picking Brian Brohm (Who I think is way more talented than Rodgers) ?

If Favre commits for an additional two seasons Rodgers will be 26-27 by the time he's starting, not old, however if we groom him too long my concern is that he will be a practice-player for life and unable adapt to the game as a starter, not probable but possible.

Adding some picks might not be a bad deal after all. Trade him now!

Or how about this. Favre will probably play a couple more years. Rodgers can back Favre up for this time when Tim Tebow is finishing college. We trade Rodgers in a couple years for a draft choice and use it to draft Tebow.
Tebow spends one year with the Packers as a Favre understudy and then starts when Favre retires.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I'm trying to say is that people are giving Rodgers waaayyy to much credit based on 3/4 of a football game played in 3 years....

Eli Manning took a full 3 years to develop into what he is today, and people are acting like if Favre retires tomorrow, we won't miss a beat and will be in the SB next year!

That is crazy talk...

QB's take time to develop...they have their ups and downs when they see real playing time. He hasn't done anything in the NFL yet.

I just don't have much faith in him being a Tedford protege, and for other reasons....

Just don't get caught up in the hype...that's all!

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great idea guys..let's get the heat off of the "Favre retire now" thread
and go to the "Trade Aaron now" thread! [Sarcasm]

HILARIOUS!! [Sarcasm]
You guys kill me! [Sarcasm]

Ted Thompson brought in Aaron to be the QB of this young team
which he built around for a young QB. And TT's been really good
at drafting players...as you can tell by this season and before.

(Boy.how hindsight is 20/20. I remember a lot of posters of this thread
asking for Ted Thompson's head at the beginning of the year...
Crow tastes good doesn't it?)

So whatever we think Aaron is not, or is or can be or won't be is SO irrelevant.

Just let things happen as they will.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He took him because nobody else wanted him 16 picks before Green Bay in the first round.....

(Gee revisionist history is fun, isn't if boys and girls....?)

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts how is it crazy talk to think Aaron Rodgers might come and smoothly transition to the starting QB.

Derek Anderson, Tony Romo, and Brett Favre all came in and all helped their team immediately. Playoffs in at least their second year. Why isnt it possible for Aaron Rodgers (whom the coaches and players like) to come in and do it on a better team. It is possible and actually the odds seem pretty good from what weve seen so far.

Reasons to NOT trade Rodgers:
We cant get a fair return in a trade. We dont have a viable backup option. We have a 39 year old QB. We have invested tons into this kid already.
We have seen how he plays in big games, well. We have seen him play hurt. The coaches like him. The MGMT likes him. Favre cant play forever.

and the number one reason we shouldnt trade Rodgers is..... drum roll please..... because a guy with the name Fuzznuts on a message board says do it. With your track record of opinions about this team (all wrong) i think its fair enough to say that doing whatever the opposite you think we should do is the best option for this team.

OP
OP
B

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point of this thread was actually to direct the attention from Brett Favres position within the team to Rodgers'. Obviously Favre is playing as good as ever, so he is a nobrainer at this point, we can however do several interesting things with Rodgers, trading him is an option if the Packers get a good offer, everyone have a price.

If the coaches think Rodgers is a future superstar you obviously don't trade him. However I think it's a real possibillity if Favre commits for 2 more years that Rodgers gets traded, for the benefit of both the Packers and Rodgers.

It's possible but not probable that Rodgers is traded, I believe he will stay a Packer.. but in my opinion, if you can get a Schaub-like trade or better it's an offer too good to turn down.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts how is it crazy talk to think Aaron Rodgers might come and smoothly transition to the starting QB.

Derek Anderson, Tony Romo, and Brett Favre all came in and all helped their team immediately. Playoffs in at least their second year. Why isnt it possible for Aaron Rodgers (whom the coaches and players like) to come in and do it on a better team. It is possible and actually the odds seem pretty good from what weve seen so far.

We cant get a fair return in a trade. We dont have a viable backup option. We have a 39 year old QB. We have invested tons into this kid already.
We have seen how he plays in big games, well. We have seen him play hurt. The coaches like him. The MGMT likes him. Favre cant play forever.

and the number one reason we shouldnt trade Rodgers is..... drum roll please..... because a guy with the name Fuzznuts on a message board says do it. With your track record of opinions about this team (all wrong) i think its fair enough to say that doing whatever the opposite you think we should do is the best option for this team.

Really....this from the guy who said that Favre was washed up and should be traded (You and your buddy from Chi-town who seems to have disappeared from the planet...lol)

How did that prediction work out for ya?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He took him because nobody else wanted him 16 picks before Green Bay in the first round.....

(Gee revisionist history is fun, isn't if folks...?)

Shut up... he was the expected first pick in that draft and San Fran (the only team that had any desperate need for a QB in the first round) picked the other guy. And now every San Fran fan i know is wishing they didnt select Alex Smith over Rodgers.

Brett Favre wasnt drafted till the second round, so he probably sucks worse then huh.

Again... do the opposite of what Fuzznuts says, and youll be doing fine.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What I'm trying to say is that people are giving Rodgers waaayyy to much credit based on 3/4 of a football game played in 3 years....

Eli Manning took a full 3 years to develop into what he is today, and people are acting like if Favre retires tomorrow, we won't miss a beat and will be in the SB next year!

That is crazy talk...

QB's take time to develop...they have their ups and downs when they see real playing time. He hasn't done anything in the NFL yet.

I just don't have much faith in him being a Tedford protege, and for other reasons....

This post I can relate to..

But I think the main point of people that dont want to trade him is this..

He has spent time here, knowing the system, being taught ins and outs by Brett ( maybe not HANDS ON per say, but watches him EVERYDAY)

Why toss all that out of the window, for some one that more then likely, will have to be TAUGHT the system, get to know the team, coaches and etc...

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ah..Fuzz is stealing my punchlines again..but added misspellings [Joke]

Nobody wanted Tom Brady for 90 something picks.
Nobody wanted BRETT FAVRE in the entire first round...

Weak argument that's been used OVER and OVER and no one can't seem to register that the person you love so dear...BRETT FAVRE went LOWER in the draft. Draft position is an indicator of NOTHING.

Lots of T.T's draft picks were ones NO ONE else wanted. But HE saw something in them and those other people who passed them up are looking mighty stupid.

Next.

Yes..GEE reVEEEZIONEEST HEESTORY ISH FUN! EESINT IFF? BOYZ n GURLZ??[Joke]

p.s. And people aren't giving Rodgers WAYYY to much credit.
It's so skewed for Favre fans to see. If anyone even mentions
another QB besides him...you guys jump to defend him and jump
to hate on and criticize that other QB!

It's biased, defensive, overreactive and silly...

No one is anointing Rodgers as anything yet...

Let's clear that up sometime this century???

Some are excited for change. That's about it.

Now get back to saying how Rodgers is overated..Brett's god..
yada yada.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

Really....this from the guy who said that Favre was washed up and should be traded (You and your buddy from Chi-town who seems to have disappeared from the planet...lol)

find one post on this entire site or anywhere on the internet that i EVER said Favre was washed up. I have a home and away Favre jersey... an oversized framed painting of the man in my freaking living room. Just because i dont come on a website and give the man virtual hand jobs like you do everyday doesnt mean i quit supporting him or thought he was washed up.

I simply cheer for the Packers ... you might have heard of them... its the team that Brett Favre plays for. being that i am a Packers fan, I cheer for the team before and after Favre. AFTER FAVRE being Aaron Rodgers.

again factless posting by Fuzznuts. your a real quality asset to this site.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I don't think Rodger's will be a great quarterback in this league, however, he WILL be a good system back. Look at the foundation that is being laid out before him? A good defense, a running game, GREAT receivers. When Favre steps down, Rodger's will have a lot of padding and will be a good system quarterback in our system.

It's pretty hard to argue such. Saying that he is unproven is kinda dumb. EVERY quarterback that is drafted and hasn't started yet is unproven. Rodger's is at least a little more proven then some. You can't say that he will be good or bad until he is the starter. Bottom line.

After another good draft and and a few key FA pick ups, Rodgers will be able to manage this team just fine.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB is one position that is in serious need. Favre will play 2 or 3 more years after this. I wouldn't mind having Rodgers around after that. He's shown he has talent.

If he's willing to stick around, then let's keep him.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yada yada.

Fuzznuts is Senator McCarthy replaying the witch hunt for communism. except that in this case if you mention other QBs or dare speak of a Favre interception... you must hate Brett Favre.

Cheer for the Packers or go to Brett Favres official site and post your drivel there.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
Packnic said:

find one post on this entire site or anywhere on the internet that i EVER said Favre was washed up. I have a home and away Favre jersey... an oversized framed painting of the man in my freaking living room. Just because i dont come on a website and give the man virtual hand jobs like you do everyday doesnt mean i quit supporting him or thought he was washed up.

I simply cheer for the Packers ... you might have heard of them... its the team that Brett Favre plays for. being that i am a Packers fan, I cheer for the team before and after Favre. AFTER FAVRE being Aaron Rodgers.

again factless posting by Fuzznuts. your a real quality asset to this site.

Boy..Fuzz you're just making friends all over the place. Good to see you're still doing the same things

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:

Ah..Fuzz is stealing my punchlines again..but added misspellings [Joke]

Nobody wanted Tom Brady for 90 something picks.
Nobody wanted BRETT FAVRE in the entire first round...

Weak argument that's been used OVER and OVER and no one can't seem to register that the person you love so dear...BRETT FAVRE went LOWER in the draft. Draft position is an indicator of NOTHING.

Lots of T.T's draft picks were ones NO ONE else wanted. But HE saw something in them and those other people who passed them up are looking mighty stupid.

Next.

Yes..GEE reVEEEZIONEEST HEESTORY ISH FUN! EESINT IFF? BOYZ n GURLZ??[Joke]

yada yada.
I don't "hate" Rodgers. He's just a 100% unknown. Favre is a PROVEN leader, who might not be as good as he once was, but is STILL better then the majority of QB's in the NFL, and is better then a totally unknown Rodgers.
Excited for change? You mean, from 13-3 to maybe 3-13? I'm not in a hurry to see that. You are right about that.
Like i have said here MANY times.......look at just the teams in our own division. They have gone through how many dozens of QB's since Favre has been here? Are you in a hurry to JOIN that "revolving door" group?
Go ahead.....be excited.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is crazy talk...

I agree completely. My post was sincere. I would love to see Favre play at least two more years, possibly three as I believe he can. I would also love to see the likes of Tebow leading this team when Favre retires.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't "hate" Rodgers. He's just a 100% unknown. Favre is a PROVEN leader, who might not be as good as he once was, but is STILL better then the majority of QB's in the NFL, and is better then a totally unknown Rodgers.
Excited for change? You mean, from 13-3 to maybe 3-13? I'm not in a hurry to see that. You are right about that.
Like i have said here MANY times.......look at just the teams in our own division. They have gone through how many dozens of QB's since Favre has been here? Are you in a hurry to JOIN that "revolving door" group?
Go ahead.....be excited.

SO when do you suppose this transition is supposed to happen then Cheesey? One poster said that it should happen next year if Favre
won the superbowl.

You think Favre will want to retire after that? He would want to do it again!
ANd how could Aaron even have a fair shot of winning the fans over after Favre leaves after a superbowl.

Either way..there will be no RIGHT time for the transition to happen.

My concern and other's concern is to wait it out TOO LONG..
The longer we wait..that 3-13 you talk about is a possibility...

And keep in mind. The 49ers went 6-10 the first year Garcia
replaced Young. But they went to the playoffs right after that.

The packers players already trust Aaron. The 49ers players had to take a season to trust Garcia. Hence the 6-10 adjustment season.

Aaron's been around this team for almost 4 years now. He's no spring chicken rookie anymore. And it shows in his play. You guys have are so scared of a huge dropoff when Favre hangs it up.

What we other fans are saying is that the drop won't be that bad.

So yeah..I'll remain excited

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts