Tracking chips for GB players??? wow

OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see it having many uses..... but instant stats, how hard players hit, who missed an assignment, who missed a blown coverage..... technology is getting crazy.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like the way technology is making us seem more and more like cyborgs.
The days of Robocop and Terminator may not be far ahead.

H

HardRightEdge

That the NFL would try this out to try to identify injury mitigation practices is not something to reject out of hand.

It might tell them something; it might lead to long overdue improvements in helmet technology, for instance. Or it might be just another "big data" experiment that nobody can figure out how to parse.

In the mean time, the idea that this data will be piped into the broadcast booth before anybody has tired to figure out what it means is ludicrous. The idea that we might hear some announcer say, "That hit by "x" player registered "y" PSI on the receivers left shoulder pad sensor is the highest recorded so far this season!" only pollutes the understanding of the game.

That this data might eventually be used to enforce "hit to the head" penalties called by the booth official should not be ruled out, for good or ill.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
That the NFL would try this out to try to identify injury mitigation practices is not something to reject out of hand.

It might tell them something; it might lead to long overdue improvements in helmet technology, for instance. Or it might be just another "big data" experiment that nobody can figure out how to parse.

In the mean time, the idea that this data will be piped into the broadcast booth before anybody has tired to figure out what it means is ludicrous. The idea that we might hear some announcer say, "That hit by "x" player" registered "y" PSI on the receivers left shoulder pad sensor is the highest recorded so far this season!" only pollutes the understanding of the game.

I agree. Thats why I said this technology is getting crazy. If it was proven to help minimize injury, then by all means use it... but if it is just for stat geeks, then scrap it, I say.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't like the way technology is making us seem more and more like cyborgs.
The days of Robocop and Terminator may not be far ahead.
With no HGH testing regime (let alone hybrid drugs coming out of Balco-like labs), coupled with intensive weight training, there's guys out there with 2% body fat who are already chemically-induced cyborgs.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Thats why I said this technology is getting crazy. If it was proven to help minimize injury, then by all means use it... but if it is just for stat geeks, then scrap it, I say.
Check out Catapultsports.com to find more on the technology. The company has its program around the world in soccer, rugby, NBA, and NCAA. It is primarily aimed at reducing injury. It has had great success where used.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts