Toughest Super Bowl Opponent

Who would be the toughest matchup for us in Super Bowl XLVI

• Total voters

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
With all the talk about the Steelers and their zebra help I don't view them as the Packers toughest SB opponent. The Pack beat them last year. I think that kind of thing might apply if it's any other team besides the Packers against them. The history and tradition and admiration of the Packers is as high or higher within the entire NFL fanbase.
Given that, I haven't seen a "dominant" defense shut down the Packers once they started clicking. My belief is that a team will have to have a pretty darned good offense to keep up with the Packers. Only NE is in that category in the AFC.
We can wait until after the Giants game to see if their D is going to slow the Pack down.
In the NFC I'd worry about games against the Saints first and then the Falcons. I'd love to see the Packers smack down the 49ers.
I wonder what those Saints/Packer fans out there think of it. You know, the fans who root for two teams in the NFC?

You have a good point.

I don't think the 49ers are really going to make it in the playoffs. Saints should be above them in power rankings, they have so far only played 2 teams that are playoff worthy, and they lost to both of them.

Don't get me wrong, they have a great, great defense, but not much of an offense, and they have yet to play a top 5 offense. I'm looking forward to a Saints/49ers match up, and then another Saints/Packers game.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got a healthy respect for the Saints offense but no, they shouldn't be higher ranked than the Niners after losing to Tampa Bay 20-26, and the Rams 31-21. The Niners blew out Tampa 43-3. The Rams are next for the Niners so we'll see how that goes.
Of all the teams with a 8-3 record, only the Ravens should tied with the Niners because they beat them. Neither the Saints or the Pats should be above us because their record is worse and they don't have a decent defense. The Packers are undefeated so of course they should be first regardless of their D.

The Saints can be beaten. And I like our chances at the 'Stick against them. I'm still looking forward to Niner/Packer NFCCG.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We beat this guy, you didn't means little in the scheme of things. I'll ask this question. Who have the 49ers beaten that is a legitimate playoff team at this point? Only team I see fitting this is possibly Dallas.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Right now I am very torn on a potential Niners/Saints game in the playoffs. It's strength vs. strength. It depends on how both teams end the regular season to me and my general feeling on them going into the playoffs. Saints are killer bees at home but on the road? Completely different story. And regardless if the Saints did beat the Niners in the divisional round they could run out of gas eventually. Win at home in WC round, travel to SF, back to NO, then to GB....thats a tough road. West coast trips often take a toll on teams. In 2006 I remember when NE had to win the WC round, go to SD and then back to NE before heading to Indy to lose a close one.

Steelers at 49ers will be more telling to us then possibly 49ers at Ravens on prime time on a short week.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Silly OP, when you listed TEBOW you ruined this thread.

Yes, I voted on Tebow.

In all honesty, the biggest challenge is still Pittsburgh. It's the one team that has a QB that can play at an elite level (no, he's not elite like Brady, Brees, Rodgers) and that has a defense to back him up (despite Rodgers carving them last year). If Joe Flacco suddenly plays well then it's Baltimore.

The SB isn't the game I'm worried about. It's when we face NO in the playoffs. I still believe we'll come through, particularly at home, but they're the 2nd best team IMHO.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Can Ben be considered "elite"?

He is not a typical "pretty" QB to watch at times like many of the others but the college girl molester gets stuff done at times when needed and quite a bit.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

He is not a typical "pretty" QB to watch at times like many of the others but the college girl molester gets stuff done at times when needed and quite a bit.

I would not consider Ben elite. Great, for sure, but not elite. He's not consistent enough, but maybe I'm not being fair to Ben, when I compare him or anyone for that matter to Rodgers, they all pale in comparison.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I would not consider Ben elite. Great, for sure, but not elite. He's not consistent enough, but maybe I'm not being fair to Ben, when I compare him or anyone for that matter to Rodgers, they all pale in comparison.

Well, duh. Rodgers is the King of the mountain. Ben just inhabits one of the villages halfway up it.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Niners beat the Bengals and the Lions but lost to the Cowpukes and the Ravens. They also beat the Giants which I consider a significant win even though they'll probably not make the playoffs. Coming from 20+ points behind in the Eagles game was huge as well.
But both losses were close. The loss to the Cowpukes came in OT and the loss to the Ravens came on a short week after traveling further than any team has for a Thanksgiving game. Stuff happens.

The thing that concerns me now is injuries. The Niners lack depth on the O-line and it showed in the Ravens game. The Niner D didn't force any turnovers either which I believe they lead the league in.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Niners beat the Bengals and the Lions but lost to the Cowpukes and the Ravens. They also beat the Giants which I consider a significant win even though they'll probably not make the playoffs. Coming from 20+ points behind in the Eagles game was huge as well.
But both losses were close. The loss to the Cowpukes came in OT and the loss to the Ravens came on a short week after traveling further than any team has for a Thanksgiving game. Stuff happens.

The thing that concerns me now is injuries. The Niners lack depth on the O-line and it showed in the Ravens game. The Niner D didn't force any turnovers either which I believe they lead the league in.

You guys are a growing team, what you may need is time. I think the Niners are on their way to being a very dominant team as early as next season. Injuries are something every team has to have in the backs of their minds. But look at what the Pack did last year with 15 starters on IR. Hopefully your coach can solve your depth problem in the draft or the solution could already be on the current roster. Who knows? Any given Sunday!

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
But both losses were close. The loss to the Cowpukes came in OT and the loss to the Ravens came on a short week after
traveling further than any team has for a Thanksgiving game. Stuff happens.

Look on the plus side, you still have Harbaugh. I know from when he was the Colts QB that he is excellent at motivating a team who is receiving a lack of respect. He has the knack on knowing just what to say and do. So entering the playoffs who knows......

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's why I say he's not elite but he can play as one at times.

He's as good as anyone when improvising. But he misses too many easy passes and he makes too many bad decisions to be considered an elite QB.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
That's why I say he's not elite but he can play as one at times.

He's as good as anyone when improvising. But he misses too many easy passes and he makes too many bad decisions to be considered an elite QB.

Thats why sometimes Ben scares me the most at times in the clutch. More so then Tom Brady in the AFC even. Ben just.....does stuff at times and can be difficult to plan for.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score

LOL Ben isn't elite.
They love to talk about how great he is, but he's at best a poor man's John Elway that plays average most games. Without the weapons Ben has, I don't think he would be such a winner.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
LOL Ben isn't elite.
They love to talk about how great he is, but he's at best a poor man's John Elway that plays average most games. Without the weapons Ben has, I don't think he would be such a winner.

I think PackersRS said it best. He is not truly elite but can play like one at times.

I am not sure who "they" are either. If it's the media I don't even pay much attention to what they say.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to call this thread back up. Looked for the most approprate one. I've said from the start we don't need to fear the 49ers

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably the Steelers at this point. Saints almost lost to the Titans come on now. Once it reallllly gets cold, I don't see Drew Brees playing better than Aaron Rodgers. Anything can happen but unlikely. As for the Superbowl, Pittsburgh's defense won't stop us(technically no team has) but we're not the #2 defense from last season either. Should be another close one.

Members online

Latest posts