Toughest Super Bowl Opponent

Who would be the toughest matchup for us in Super Bowl XLVI

• Total voters
D

Dan115

I went to the Ravens game vs the Texans, and sat amongst the "original Ravens fans", the PSL owners from 1996. Nobody, and I am not exaggerating, had any faith in Flacco, despite his legendary following here in B-more. The Ravens D is aging, and it will be interesting to see if Ray Lewis can overcome the dreaded turf toe. The strongest aspect of their team is special teams, Billy Cundiff has an amazing leg, they cover well on kicks (no real need, it is usually a touchback) and punts and other than David Reed, have done fairly well in the return game.

That being said, I think they have the fast track to the AFC North title. Pittsburgh just has too many holes, and it looks like Troy Polamalu may miss time with a concussion. If the Ravens face the Pats in the AFCCG, it could be a very close game, but I'd give the edge to the Pats. Brady vs Flacco with the game and season on the line, easy choice.

I would have to agree with you. Brady too much for the Ravens.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I went to the Ravens game vs the Texans, and sat amongst the "original Ravens fans", the PSL owners from 1996. Nobody, and I am not exaggerating, had any faith in Flacco, despite his legendary following here in B-more. The Ravens D is aging, and it will be interesting to see if Ray Lewis can overcome the dreaded turf toe. The strongest aspect of their team is special teams, Billy Cundiff has an amazing leg, they cover well on kicks (no real need, it is usually a touchback) and punts and other than David Reed, have done fairly well in the return game.
That being said, I think they have the fast track to the AFC North title. Pittsburgh just has too many holes, and it looks like Troy Polamalu may miss time with a concussion. If the Ravens face the Pats in the AFCCG, it could be a very close game, but I'd give the edge to the Pats. Brady vs Flacco with the game and season on the line, easy choice.

It's not just about the QB all the time though.... Mark Sanchez led teams beat both the Colts and Pats last year in the playoffs and in fact Mark out played both HOF QBs sadly when the games were on the line (I cringe just typing that). Sanchez has fallen off a cliff at times this year though and so has the Jets o line. The Joe Flacco led Ravens upset NE in 2009. Eli Manning led Giants beat the perfect Pats in the SB.

They ALL have holes in the AFC. The Pats have holes and have not beaten many good teams this season and feast on backup QBs now. The Steelers have holes and lost to Baltimore twice. Baltimore lost to the flipping Jags and Seahawks and have holes but the biggest hole might be in Joe Flacco's brain at times.

As for the rest of them there are so many holes I can't even get into them. Texans are a solid all around team but I have to see how the new QB does....I can't imagine he can be worse though then the overrated Leinart may have been though.

I would not bet money on a single AFC team coming out of the conference this year.

Still, GB is more talented and clutch then anyone going back to last season. I do think though that a tough defensive minded team who has a QB with big game experience like the Steelers could be a headache to beat in back to back SBs. I would pick GB but the more I think about the Steelers the more I get paranoid.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Is Troy Polamalu really going to miss time? I heard Tomlin said they expect him to play this weekend. However resting him for a game or two may not be the worst idea for that team.
edit: Just saw this on kffl
Steelers | No symptoms for Troy Polamalu Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:32:47 -0800 Updating a previous item, Pittsburgh Steelers SS Troy Polamalu (concussion) is not experiencing concussion-like symptoms after being knocked out in Week 12, and head coach Mike Tomlin is "confident at this juncture" that Polamalu will start in Week 13 against the Cincinnati Bengals. Polamalu will take concussion tests later this week.

SyX

Stranger in a strange land
Reaction score
It's not just about the QB all the time though.... Mark Sanchez led teams beat both the Colts and Pats last year in the playoffs and in fact Mark out played both HOF QBs sadly when the games were on the line (I cringe just typing that).

I agree with that, but Brady makes up for the Pats D a lot more than the Ravens D makes up for Flacco. Joe doesn't have the internal clock to avoid the big hits, fumbles a lot, makes ill advised throws, and has Cam Cameron as his O coordinator.

I have seen reports that Troy will be playing for the Steelers this weekend, but still wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't, or won't be effective. He has a history of concussions going back to college. He's a game changer if he's on the field and healthy, but look at how ineffective he was in the Super Bowl last year. Something wasn't right with him there, and he was at best average.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now I want to pick the Ravens to make it to the SB but seeing them beat the Steelers three times in one year is a tall tall order.
I have zero faith in the Pats getting there. I think they're way over rated.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the Steelers, and it's for many reasons. The first and foremost is the Super Bowl XL factor, when mysteriously the Steelers got a ton of calls in their favor to win despite a horrendous game out of Rapistberger (0 TDs, 2 INTs and 3rd that was taken back by penalty). The NFL knows that many Steelers fans are bandwagoners, so they'd want to keep them around as long as possible. If you're not convinced of the "refball" factor, then just look at the Steelers-Texans game earlier this season where multiple Steelers turnovers were brought back on questionable "late hit" penalties. The Steelers only lost after yet another pick out of Rapistberger.

In addition, there's something I call "Steelers luck." Look at the last two Super Bowls the Steelers have reached. Both times they were supposed to have to play at a #1 seed that beat them earlier in the season, but that #1 seed mysteriously lost to a #6 seed the week before, giving the Steelers home-field and an easy AFC Championship. In fact, when they won it all in 2008, not one not two but THREE times did the Steelers get lucky in such a way. They lost to the Colts earlier in the year; the Colts lost in OT right before a potential game vs. the Steelers. The Steelers lost to the Titans earlier in the year; the Titans lost on a botched delay-of-game call right before a potential game vs. the Steelers. The Steelers lost to the Eagles earlier in the year; the Eagles lose a close one to the Cardinals. The Steelers faced playoff teams at 8-8, 11-5 and 9-7 that year - not too tough of a schedule.

Here's how I see it going: the Steelers win out with their cakewalk of a schedule (sorry, 49ers). The Ravens lose to some inferior team along the way, and the Texans lose somewhere along the way (not very hard to imagine). So the Steelers end up with the #1 seed, then even get lucky again with the Patriots losing another home playoff game. And they're right back in the Super Bowl.

Call it luck, call it mysterious officiating, but whatever it is, the Steelers get a lot of help. You should be cheering against them even more than you cheer against the Bears the rest of the way.

I cheer against the Steelers more than I cheer against ANY NFL team EVERY week, every year, always. I live in Steeler Nation and it is a NIGHTMARE! I was already WELL aware of how the lucky Steelers ALWAYS dodge the Patriots, etc on their way to the Super Bowl (they've never made it through beating NE). Their last 2 SB wins were against the 2 worst NFC SB representatives in SB history and they barely won them. It's disgusting that they have 6 when they deserve maybe 3!

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Oh yes I believe the Cards had the refs against them too.

I think the Steelers are slightly in my head. It goes back to 1995. I am always paranoid with them. Before the SB I knew so many Colts/Pats fans telling me the Steelers would beat the Pack. I kept saying no no no they won't. Even when the Steelers started to make the comeback in the SB I kept saying oh hell no.....no. I would not believe the Steelers could win the game.

I now believe the league would love an 18-0 Packers team facing off in a rematch with the big bad Steelers who want revenge on their minds....

Oh God!!! We may need ****** if this SB happens again.:sick: I believe the Packers would prevail but the Steelers are so ick ick icky.

They have ALWAYS had help from the refs, it goes back to the 1970's.

I really shouldn't say that, cause back then it was a different league, it wasn't full of babies that cry for flags, but even back then it seemed the Raiders were just cursed in beating those ********, and when they finally did, oh it was because the Steelers were banged up.

If you research anything on the Steelers history of the refs, you'll find that game where the Browns were robbed, I can't remember the exact year, but it was one they won a Super Bowl in (1978 or 1976), in OT the Steelers won the toss, and fumbled the kick off at the 10 yard line, the refs gave Pittsburgh the ball, and later admitted they screwed the Brownies out of winning their first game in Three River Stadium.

In 1995, that "Touchdown" that beat the Colts in the AFC Championship, he didn't cross the goalline, there was a lot in that game was BS, surely the wrong team made it to the Super Bowl that year, and that is why I was laughing when the Cowboys beat them, (though I believe Dallas would have won that Super Bowl regardless if they played the Colts or Steelers, the power back then was the NFC, and the best team to beat Dallas was SF, whom had already lost)

Steelers scare me because the refs. Even in the Super Bowl they had to rear their ugly heads, when we got a 14-0 lead off that pick, there come the flags.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope we don't lose anymore players to injury. We will beat anyone given our current state of affairs. Still a long ways to go.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
As much as I am banking on Baltimore making the Super Bowl this season, I just can't pick them on this. Their offense is too inconsistent, and while their defense probably could slow Rodgers down, I don't think they could completely shut him down.

I'm taking New England
They have a terrible, terrible defense, one of the worst in the league, but they have the fire power to keep up with us in shoot outs like the Saints do. If there is two teams that possess a threat to the Pack that ain't on the schedule it's New England and New Orleans. The Patriots would definitely give us a run for the money in a shoot out, with both defenses giving up over 500 yards.
Put it perfectly there. The scary teams are New Orleans and New England because their offenses are looking real good right now. They have the kind of offense where if they have a great night they could keep up with Aaron Rodgers. Could Joe Flacco and the Ravens? I don't think so.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
I just hope we don't lose anymore players to injury. We will beat anyone given our current state of affairs. Still a long ways to go.
We have so much depth it's ridiculous. Did you see DJ Smith and Francois against the Lions? It's awesome seeing young players step up and not miss a beat. But I agree with you. If we stay healthy I think we stay unbeaten.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Put it perfectly there. The scary teams are New Orleans and New England because their offenses are looking real good right now. They have the kind of offense where if they have a great night they could keep up with Aaron Rodgers. Could Joe Flacco and the Ravens? I don't think so.

I have no faith at all in Flacco.
He's got the body of a dream quarterback, a good arm, but he's got a brain about the size of a dime. Zero pocket awareness will always be his problem, he's the poor man's Tony Romo, but at least Romo knows how to move around in the pocket and look around when they are about to blitz, that is where Flacco fails at best, he is horrible under pressure.

I think the Saints are a bit better than New England.
This is basically the same 2009 team that won the Super Bowl, but their offense is a big improvement. They don't have overrated waste around like Reggie Bush fumbling the ball and running to the side for a gain of 3, nor do they have big mouth Shockey dropping passes and staying injured.
Everyone had trouble stopping the screens for New Orleans the last 2 years. Right now, with Sproles and not Bush, it's even harder to stop.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have so much depth it's ridiculous. Did you see DJ Smith and Francois against the Lions? It's awesome seeing young players step up and not miss a beat. But I agree with you. If we stay healthy I think we stay unbeaten.
We have ample depth in some positions but not in all. Can't lose a Woodson, Matthews, Rodgers, or anymore OL or DL.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
We have ample depth in some positions but not in all. Can't lose a Woodson, Matthews, Rodgers, or anymore OL or DL.
Well even when Sitton our best offensive lineman went out last week Deitrich-Smith came in and did a fine job against the stout Detroit Dline. I would say we can't lose another tackle. Woodson and Matthews getting injured will kill us. Woodson is playing like he was in 2009, and Matthews is the only person who can consistently get to the QB. He also takes 2 guys to block so it helps the other pass rushers. And well if Rodgers gets injured... Let's just not go there.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I have often found myself at times being a Flacco apologist LOL. This is a make or break year for him. I have to say he usually does struggle vs. the Steelers but two wins over them so far this year is pretty nice to see from him. He has not royally screwed up against the good teams so far this year, but has laid a few eggs against lesser teams.

Baltimore fans are torn on Flacco as well most of the time.

D

Dan115

I have often found myself at times being a Flacco apologist LOL. This is a make or break year for him. I have to say he usually does struggle vs. the Steelers but two wins over them so far this year is pretty nice to see from him. He has not royally screwed up against the good teams so far this year, but has laid a few eggs against lesser teams.

Baltimore fans are torn on Flacco as well most of the time.

Flacco just is not consistent.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I noticed the Niners were dropped in Billick's power rankings today. What suprised me more was who he ranked above them. The Pats and Ravens. Ok I understand maybe the Ravens after that loss... but I would have put the Saints above the Pats. The Pats have no D. Of course neither do the Saints. I would have tied the Ravens and Niners for 2nd.
1. Packers
2T. Ravens
2T. 49ers
4. Saints
5. Steelers
6. Patriots
Who gives a *****? 9ers forums might care.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
With all the talk about the Steelers and their zebra help I don't view them as the Packers toughest SB opponent. The Pack beat them last year. I think that kind of thing might apply if it's any other team besides the Packers against them. The history and tradition and admiration of the Packers is as high or higher within the entire NFL fanbase.
Given that, I haven't seen a "dominant" defense shut down the Packers once they started clicking. My belief is that a team will have to have a pretty darned good offense to keep up with the Packers. Only NE is in that category in the AFC.
We can wait until after the Giants game to see if their D is going to slow the Pack down.
In the NFC I'd worry about games against the Saints first and then the Falcons. I'd love to see the Packers smack down the 49ers.
I wonder what those Saints/Packer fans out there think of it. You know, the fans who root for two teams in the NFC?

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts on the topic:

1) The Patriots will be the hardest opponent, as they would have the ability to exploit any holes in our defense. The counter point to that is that our defense has REALLY tightened up and I think will will give ol' Tom Brady a run for his money.

2) The Steelers are probably are looking for revenge. They will have motivation, as being knocked off last year. The counter point to them is that we beat them before and we can do it again and also, I think the Packers have MORE motivation to repeat than the Steelers do to get another ring.
Also, I saw someone mention that the Packers got lucky in SB XLV. I say BS. Our defense came through when it needed to. The Steelers are the lucky ones, as James Jones dropped a sure TD pass, making the game a bigger win.

3) The Saints I fear even more than ANY AFC team. The biggest challenge will be them in the playoffs. The have a defense that is no slouch and a flying offense. Yes, we beat them in week 1 but I think that was a different team. I think we can knock them off again, but it will be rough. Rougher than week 1.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have ALWAYS had help from the refs, it goes back to the 1970's.

I really shouldn't say that, cause back then it was a different league, it wasn't full of babies that cry for flags, but even back then it seemed the Raiders were just cursed in beating those ********, and when they finally did, oh it was because the Steelers were banged up.

If you research anything on the Steelers history of the refs, you'll find that game where the Browns were robbed, I can't remember the exact year, but it was one they won a Super Bowl in (1978 or 1976), in OT the Steelers won the toss, and fumbled the kick off at the 10 yard line, the refs gave Pittsburgh the ball, and later admitted they screwed the Brownies out of winning their first game in Three River Stadium.

In 1995, that "Touchdown" that beat the Colts in the AFC Championship, he didn't cross the goalline, there was a lot in that game was BS, surely the wrong team made it to the Super Bowl that year, and that is why I was laughing when the Cowboys beat them, (though I believe Dallas would have won that Super Bowl regardless if they played the Colts or Steelers, the power back then was the NFC, and the best team to beat Dallas was SF, whom had already lost)

Steelers scare me because the refs. Even in the Super Bowl they had to rear their ugly heads, when we got a 14-0 lead off that pick, there come the flags.

what do you mean flacco has the body of a dream quarterback?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
what do you mean flacco has the body of a dream quarterback?

The arm, the guy has an arm you would dream of having if you wanted to be a quarterback....His problem is, he can throw bombs, but it goes to the defensive backs, or just falls incomplete cause he's too inconsistent and lacks brains.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our toughest superbowl opponent would not be the patsies, they can't win a playoff game

sent from my rooted evo4g

Members online

Latest posts