Torry Holt to the Jags

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Former St. Louis Rams wide receiver Torry Holt agreed to a three-year deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars on Monday that could be worth as much as $20 million." (From ESPN.com)

Why this is interesting enough to be here? Because the Jaguars hold the 8th pick, the one right before the Packers 9th.

They had a hole at WR that became biggersince the Matt Jones incident (again!) during the offseason. Therefore, some mocks were antecipating they would take a WR. This pick could be Raji now that those drug tests revealed negative.

Hope that doesn't affect us that much, they trade their pick to the Redskins, the Reskins take Sanchez and we get our defensive playmaker.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was a decent fantasy receive for the last couple years. Good pick up for the jags, but what is their QB situation? At least they have good RBs...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
but what is their QB situation?
I wouldn't be shocked if their QB situation is Mark Sanchez after Saturday. He'll probably go earlier but if he doesn't i'd bet money he's a Jag. If it's not Sanchez, Garrard is a perfectly capable QB. I smell a bounceback year out of him after he didn't play so great last year.

Like was said above, i'm scared that this cements them taking Raji. Conventional wisdom had said they would take Maclin or Crabtree if he was there. Now, well, honestly they could still use like 4 more receivers. Their receivers are just terrible.

OP
OP
danielchile

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, Jess. Holt is 32 now and they have no other threat. The Jags also re-signed MJD recently.

It's the same situation as the Seahawks. They signed a great/good WR that is above 30 and have no one on the other side.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked if their QB situation is Mark Sanchez after Saturday. He'll probably go earlier but if he doesn't i'd bet money he's a Jag. If it's not Sanchez, Garrard is a perfectly capable QB. I smell a bounceback year out of him after he didn't play so great last year.

Like was said above, i'm scared that this cements them taking Raji. Conventional wisdom had said they would take Maclin or Crabtree if he was there. Now, well, honestly they could still use like 4 more receivers. Their receivers are just terrible.

That is a good point about Sanchez, but I am always skeptical about rookie QBs coming into the NFL and starting right away. Not saying Sanchez is going to fail, but just not a good track record for rookies in that type of situation. However, I did see him play at USC and he looked like an amazing prospect. I have high hopes for him but we will just have to wait and see what happens in pre-season to see if he gets the start.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Garrard is going to be their qb this year and probably next year. This doesn't mean they won't draft sanchez, but with only 16 reps in college, this guy won't be starting anytime soon.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point. But I can see Sanchez starting in 2010 if has a couple good pre-season/training camps.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanchez reminds me of Leinart. Same College, SAME OFFENSIVE SCHEME, Good mobility, "good" decision making, good acuracy, not so good arm strength. Actually, Leinart seemed better than Sanchez at the time. I am a little doubtful of him, as I am of Stafford. Junior qbs shouldn't start in the NFL. I still think Leinart can be a franchise qb, but for the hype that he had, he's a bust. If that much money is spend on either Sanchez or Stafford (top 10 pick, even top 15) there will be high expectations on them to perform well and soon, as soon as the end of THIS season. Specially with the seasons Ryan and Flacco had. And, if as I project, they don't deliver, it's gonna be though for them to play in the NFL...

Members online

Latest posts