Tori Gurley to be activated soon

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
I can appreciate the decisions of McCarthy and Gurley. For McCarthy, it would be rather redundant to sign Gurley for three reasons: 1) The receiving corps is always wanting for more individual yards as it is. I've hardly heard James Jones' name over the past three weeks. 2) The running game is taking on more significance and 3) they can't afford to relinquish a defensive spot for the sake of a receiver position. For Gurley, he has already stated his position as to why he desires to remain a Packer. Additionally, the Packers and Gurley are good for one another as he received a pay raise.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmmm! Practice squad team on a Super Bowl contending team vs starting WR on a Toilet Bowl contending team??? Future chance at a roster of a potential SB winner vs staring WR on a team still mired in futility??? Oh my! Why are these decisions to hard to make!!!? ;)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But they did give him more money.
True, true.

The interview, I came away VERY impressed with him. It's not every NFL player that says they'd rather stay at the PS and help the D in the scout team, for them to win a SB. Let alone a receiver.

If this kid can develop, he's perfect, he has the same mindset of all our guys, and brings something different, he's a tall weapon.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, true.

The interview, I came away VERY impressed with him. It's not every NFL player that says they'd rather stay at the PS and help the D in the scout team, for them to win a SB. Let alone a receiver.

If this kid can develop, he's perfect, he has the same mindset of all our guys, and brings something different, he's a tall weapon.
Yep, I think we have a good player. Glad he's still a Packer.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tori committed himself to continuing to help the team prepare for their next opponents. Thompson will reward his loyalty.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Smart kid, he's aware of the exceptional circumstances he's found himself in being on the practice squad of a potentially undefeated team. His unselfish attitude to take the learning experience over the paycheck already shows he can fit in to the character of our locker room. Hope Tori makes the squad soon :)

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
He may very well be a dummy. HE could stay in green bay and never be a 3 or 4 wide receiver. OR go to the Vikings and be the 1 or 2 go to guy on a team that has no WR star. BAd decision. Imagine if he catches just 2 TD,s for the vikings in there last 2 games. Can u say Contract and Big money. PLus the Leagues minimum would give him a 60k signing bonus.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is though, he is a WR. He is on the practice squad for the team that has the best WR corps in the league. Im pretty sure he's just fine where he is soaking up all the knowledge and experience of these vets.

Plus he has plenty of time ahead of him to be a starter. Let the kid learn from the best while he can.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did we really need another thread on this guy? We had one started 3 or 4 days ago and it had two pages..

so guess what?

I merged the one Woodchipper started with the one that had 2 pages

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
The thing is though, he is a WR. He is on the practice squad for the team that has the best WR corps in the league. Im pretty sure he's just fine where he is soaking up all the knowledge and experience of these vets.

Plus he has plenty of time ahead of him to be a starter. Let the kid learn from the best while he can.

You never know how much time u have in this league.

WE do have great vets, But other than Driver we have a lot of time left in our WR's, It could be years before he sees any real playing time. But To get a ring he made the right decision i believe.

(Yahoo)
But just so you know the extent of his dedication to the Packers, consider this: According to Brian McIntyre of Mac's Football Blog, the usual salary for a practice squad player is $5,700 per week. Some players, like Packers quarterback Graham Harrell, do get more ($12,500 per week), but that's far above the average.
If the Vikings signed Gurley for even one day, he'd be guaranteed the equivalent of three game checks. And taking the league minimum of $375,000 into account, dividing that figure by 17 weeks, and multiplying by 3, Gurley would have made at least $66,176 the second he put his name on the dotted line.
Gurley's not guaranteed a spot in Green Bay next year, even on the practice squad. But then again, he wouldn't be guaranteed anything in Minnesota next year, either. He likes the situation he's in, and he's betting on himself. If it pays off, he'll be in a great position, and if it doesn't, well, it's not like he passed on some amazing opportunity in turning down the 2011 Minnesota Vikings.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I want to give credit to this guy for turning down the Vikings. Vikes should know better you get the Packers leftovers, not their start ups.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't know how much the Packers gave him now to stay right? We have plenty of money.

I wonder if Tori knows something about whether Donald is returning or retiring. Maybe DD has told him if we win the Super Bowl again, he'll hang it up a la Elway's repeat.

Interesting to note in the photo of Tori, I see he's wearing leg pads. And knee pads. Which I like.
I was noticing some photos of Jennings and Jordy and it didn't appear neither wear anything there.... Jones too IIRC.

Hard to believe the league doesn't mandate those things in lieu of player safety.

Members online

Latest posts