Top 10 Greatest Packers Ever on NFL.com. 1 Small Problem with the list.

L

Lunchboxer

NFL Videos: Top 10 Packers

10. Curly Lambeau

9.Ray Nitschke

8. Jim Taylor

7. Paul Hornung

6. Forrest Gregg

5. Reggie White

4. Bart Starr

3. Brett Favre

2. Don Hutson

1. Vince Lombardi

The List is pretty good except 1 small thing..

How the **** can Brett Favre Out rank Bart Starr. Bart Starr has won More Super Bowls and other Championchips than Favre.

Id say Move Starr to #3 Move Reggie White to #4 and Favre to #5.

If someone disagrees please explain why Favre should get higher ranked than Starr.

P.S No Jerry Kramer on the list. That also kinda upsets me.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Good video. Nice find, and I agree with the proposed modifications as well. Favre should be below Starr and White. Defense wins championships and White helped lead us to SB XXXI win and Starr is nearly everyone's consensus #1 quarterback of all time; which would have to place him above Favre.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My idea.
Go from old school to modern.

1. Curly Lambeau

2. Vince Lombardi

3.Ray Nitschke

4. Bart Starr

5. Jim Taylor

6. Paul Hornung

7. Forrest Gregg

8. Don Hutson

9. Reggie White

10. Brett Favre

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My idea.
Go from old school to modern.

1. Curly Lambeau

2. Vince Lombardi

3.Ray Nitschke

4. Bart Starr

5. Jim Taylor

6. Paul Hornung

7. Forrest Gregg

8. Don Hutson

9. Reggie White

10. Brett Favre

... don hutson didnt play in the 80s...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmm I wouldnt put lombardi 1 personally. Has to be between Hutson, Starr, and White. Each of those were the best of all time at their position while Lombardi was a great coach but wasnt the best coach of all time.

Kramer? who would you take off the list for him? As much as I would like to see him on any list you really cant take off anyone on the top 10. But I wouldnt cry if you gave favre to the vikings.

1. Starr (won more than any other QB)
2. Hutson (best WR of all time)
3. White (Best DE of all time)
4. Lombardi
5. Lambeau
6. Favre
7. Hornung
8. Gregg
9. Nitschtke
10. Taylor

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... don hutson didnt play in the 80s...
If you or anyone else wants to rearrange it, be my guest.

Frankly, I don't know who some of those are.

I think Chester Marcol should be somewhere on the list for making one of the highlights of Packers plays during their dismal years of 70's-80's.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you or anyone else wants to rearrange it, be my guest.

Frankly, I don't know who some of those are.

I think Chester Marcol should be somewhere on the list for making one of the highlights of Packers plays during their dismal years of 70's-80's.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrNmpP-9EK4]YouTube - NFL Top 100 Players # 9 - Don Hutson[/ame]

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmm I wouldnt put lombardi 1 personally. Has to be between Hutson, Starr, and White. Each of those were the best of all time at their position while Lombardi was a great coach but wasnt the best coach of all time.
I'm interested to know who else you have in mind.
All I can think of is Bill Walsh.
Who else is there?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm interested to know who else you have in mind.
All I can think of is Bill Walsh.
Who else is there?

Close, Walsh came off his coaching tree. Paul Brown. Pretty much every part of modern coaching came from him. So far ahead of him time. Blew the NFL away. Lombardi was a great motivator but as far as coaching didnt leave a lasting impact as far as a coaching tree goes. The you look at Brown and you can probably attach 50% of SB championships back to him if you go up the tree.

No doubt someone will tell me Im insane to not think Lombardi is #1 and they are full within their right to believe that. I just feel Lombardi was a better motivator than coach. I wonder what Lombardi would say on the matter actually.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Lambeau. He started the team and kept them alive in the early years, when most of the smaller city teams folded. Without Curly, we wouldn't be here today talking about the Packers.

2. Lombardi. He turned around a horrible franchise and turned it into the league's most dominant team of any decade before or since.

3. Starr. Without him Lombardi doesn't win 5 Championships.

4. Hutson. In comparison to his peers is easily the finest receiver in NFL history.

5. Nitschke. The finest linebacker of the 60's and the face of the defense that won 5 Championships

6. Johnny Blood McNally. I think the best halfback the Packers ever had. Certainly the best name.

7. Forrest Gregg. The "finest player" Lombardi ever coached, according to Lombardi.

8. Jim Taylor. The 2nd best running back the Packers have ever had.

9. Paul Hornung. The 3rd best running back the Packers have ever had.

10. Ron Wolf. Performed the 2nd finest turn around by the franchise behind Lombardi.

I'm thinking in 5 years Aaron Rodgers will be ranked somewhere close to Starr.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think Favre should be in the top ten. Yeah, he won one SB, but individually threw away many other chances for team championships. The guy is a poster child for "Me, not We".

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think Favre should be in the top ten. Yeah, he won one SB, but individually threw away many other chances for team championships. The guy is a poster child for "Me, not We".

That's why I have trouble with Favre being placed so high too (though I'm not saying he shouldn't be on the list). The elation-to-heartbreak ratio kind of suffered there.

I watched when they presented this on NFLN and Greg Jennings was part of the broadcast. It might have been my imagination, but he didn't seem to have much to say about their choices (couldn't see who was talking, as they were showing film - so he may have said more than I thought he did).

I think some of these current Packers might end up on a list like that eventually. I sort of wondered if he was thinking that.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dead, solid, right. Benedict Arnold was "the most brilliant soldier of the Continental army", according to a monument erected in his honor at Saratoga. It is the only military monument erected in the United States without a name on it.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Favre holds every single major passing record in the books and he's not a top 10 Packer to some of you?

Alrighty, then.

Hate the guy all you want, but don't look past the unbelievable numbers he put up. Including the most wins as a starter.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Here we go again beating a dead horse called Brett Favre...

Sometimes I believe if he would have spent 2 years in Denver or Carolina, this would not even be brought up into conversation.

Like it or not, he spent 16 years as our quarterback, and WON us a Super Bowl.

I know he's a ****, he's a traitor all of that, but it's time to MOVE ON. We just won a Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers. Brett Favre is always going to be in the top 10 quarterbacks and top 10 players of this franchise like it or not. A memory I try to think of as a happy one, since the man was the reason I started loving Football as a kid. We should not let 2 years in Minnesota completely tarnish the whole 16 year span he spent with us.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Favre holds every single major passing record in the books and he's not a top 10 Packer to some of you?

Alrighty, then.

Hate the guy all you want, but don't look past the unbelievable numbers he put up. Including the most wins as a starter.

100% agree with this.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score

Alrighty, then.

I'm fine with him being in the top ten, but for all those numbers over a period of so many years, one league championship doesn't seem like a lot. I think I'd put Bart Starr ahead of him, at least.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here we go again beating a dead horse called Brett Favre...

Sometimes I believe if he would have spent 2 years in Denver or Carolina, this would not even be brought up into conversation.

Like it or not, he spent 16 years as our quarterback, and WON us a Super Bowl.

I know he's a ****, he's a traitor all of that, but it's time to MOVE ON. We just won a Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers. Brett Favre is always going to be in the top 10 quarterbacks and top 10 players of this franchise like it or not. A memory I try to think of as a happy one, since the man was the reason I started loving Football as a kid. We should not let 2 years in Minnesota completely tarnish the whole 16 year span he spent with us.

He's the classic fantasy football player. Great personal numbers that took his teams to one Championship win. That's what makes him different from the really great players, the individuals that led their teams to Championships. It's still a team game, and that's why I wouldn't put him on the list. It's his legacy, as he has told us repeatedly.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I probably should disclose the fact that I belong to the camp that does not care for the guy that was QB of the Packers before Rodgers. I suspect Rodgers might be in that group as well.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
He's the classic fantasy football player. Great personal numbers that took his teams to one Championship win. That's what makes him different from the really great players, the individuals that led their teams to Championships. It's still a team game, and that's why I wouldn't put him on the list. It's his legacy, as he has told us repeatedly.

So it's a team game, but Favre the individual is punished for not winning more championships? Isn't that a little contradictory?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I don't think so. Great players make great teams which win Championships. It's the Championships that separate the good players from the really great, imo. Marino was good. Favre was good, although there are those that would argue how good (Advanced NFL Stats: Brett Favre Is Overrated) Starr, Montana, Graham, Young, Brady are great QBs.

How many QBs have averaged 1.5 turnovers (interceptions + fumbles lost) per game in the playoffs and been considered great?

L

Lunchboxer

Alrighty, then.

I disagree. Favre is Top 10 but that list ranks him Way to low on that list.

The Passing records means nothing when you Won 1 Championship and a whole lot of INTs.

Bart Starr may not have alot of Yards but he was Accurate in his ball throwing. Also He won 5 Total Championships that also includes 2 Super Bowl wins

2 Super Bowls and 3 Pre Super Bowl Championships.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I disagree. Favre is Top 10 but that list ranks him Way to low on that list.

The Passing records means nothing when you Won 1 Championship and a whole lot of INTs.

Bart Starr may not have alot of Yards but he was Accurate in his ball throwing. Also He won 5 Total Championships that also includes 2 Super Bowl wins

2 Super Bowls and 3 Pre Super Bowl Championships.

I'm not saying Favre should be ahead of Starr. He shouldn't. But some people on here say Favre shouldn't even be on the list, and that I disagree with.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts