Tony Fisher signs

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't win SBs with "guys who don't lose games for you". I know that is what I would look for in a draft...someone who won't lose a game for you. WOW...talk about elevating mediocrity to the point of worship.

And I am not bashing you KRD...just vigorously disagreeing.

Kampmann is well above average, not a stud but far above average and a starter for 80% of teams in the league. But SB teams are built with guys like him.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get it, first you say rushing for 100 yds a game is average, then you say Fisher is average?

If rushing 100 yds a game is average, doesn't that make Fisher a highschool level back?

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
You don't win SBs with "guys who don't lose games for you". I know that is what I would look for in a draft...someone who won't lose a game for you. WOW...talk about elevating mediocrity to the point of worship.

Kampmann is well above average, not a stud but far above average and a starter for 80% of teams in the league. But SB teams are built with guys like him.

Cool digs don't worry man.........

I'm saying when he is healthy he is a good back. He did catch like 40 or so passes I think last year and didn't miss many blocks or fumble a lot So I think that makes him a quality back. A number 1 no but a back I would like to have on the roster.

You are right about SB teams being built with guys like him as role players not there stud. He is a good role player but a difference maker?

micklaus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fisher sucked but useful for his role. Players like him are a dime a dozen. and by the way there is no way anyone typing on this forum could average 2.9 yards a carry in the NFL. You may run 2.9 yards on your first carry but I bet you fair catch the second handoff.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, gakk...I am getting a warm, tingly feeling all over...................

Yeah, Fisher is a decent player when healthy, but again, this looks like TT is planning to take a RB in the draft....and the guys I listed are all more explosive than Fisher...and some can be had in the 4th or 5th.

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
the fact is, Fisher isn't even mediocre.

What did Fisher do to offend so much? Or are like this with every player that has a bad year or doesn't match your expectations. He was hurt and he wasn't given the chance to be an everydown back because he was hurt.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt Wolf call Fisher an NFL Europe player (I didnt read all 3 pages of this thread, so if its mentioned, my bad)

haha, bye tony

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's with these ex Packer players bashing Green Bay?? I'm glad their gone... Flanigan, Longwell, Fisher.. None of them is a big lost.. except maybe Longwell.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its coming out that they are not packer people.

flanagan wont bash. hes just old and hurt, and not worth that money.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:
What's with these ex Packer players bashing Green Bay?? I'm glad their gone... Flanigan, Longwell, Fisher.. None of them is a big lost.. except maybe Longwell.

Flanny too? What did he say?

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
krd005 said:
digsthepack said:

Cool digs don't worry man.........

I'm saying when he is healthy he is a good back. He did catch like 40 or so passes I think last year and didn't miss many blocks or fumble a lot So I think that makes him a quality back. A number 1 no but a back I would like to have on the roster.

You are right about SB teams being built with guys like him as role players not there stud. He is a good role player but a difference maker?

Playing hurt in 2005 Fisher did only rush 60 times for 173 yards, but remember the guy was the best on the team on blitz pickup and he did catch 48 passes for 347 yards and a TD -- which by the way is a lot more than Green, Gado, Davenport and Herron combined. He also completed the only pass he threw -- in fact I think he had a perfect record as a passer on HB options over his career.

Speaking of careers, He played in 60 games, starting 5. Tony rushed for 880 yards and had a 3.7 yds per rush average for 4 TDs. His longest run was 28 yards. He also had 125 Catches for 900 yards and 5 TDs.

I don't have a problem with going in a different direction, but I agree that he did not suck. Guys that suck are not given signing bonuses and signed as free agents by NFL clubs.

I wish Tony nothing but the best -- except of course if and when he is facing the Packers. :D

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Flanagan, Fisher find new homes
Packers showed little interest in veterans
By BOB McGINN
[email protected]
Posted: March 23, 2006

Green Bay - Center Mike Flanagan and running back Tony Fisher, a pair of smart, savvy veteran players, signed with new teams Thursday after being given short shrift in free agency by the Green Bay Packers.

Tony Fisher will be a backup with the Rams after four seasons as the Packers No. 3 running back.

Flanagan received a three-year contract worth $9 million from the Houston Texans, where he will be reunited with assistant head coach and offensive line coach Mike Sherman. He will get a $3 million signing bonus.

Fisher accepted a one-year deal for not much more than minimum salary from the St. Louis Rams. His deal contained a modest signing bonus.

Meanwhile, the Packers are among at least three teams expressing an interest in Oakland Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson. His agent, Carl Poston, said he was trying to schedule Woodson for a visit to Green Bay next week. He was to visit Tampa Bay today and probably Seattle over the weekend.

Woodson, 29, suffered a broken leg in Week 6 and spent the rest of the season on injured reserve. He has started 103 of 106 games since joining the Raiders as the fourth pick in the 1998 draft, and has 17 interceptions. Last June, Pro Football Weekly ranked Woodson as the ninth-best cornerback in the National Football League.

Although the Packers said they wanted Flanagan and Fisher back, their actions suggested that they didn't. Agent Jim Steiner indicated that there was no reason for him to get back to club negotiator Andrew Brandt this week because Green Bay's offer wasn't sufficient.

"Were they in it?" Steiner asked Thursday night. "They never really stepped up. They were very limited with their financial parameters."

Green Bay is about $20 million beneath the salary cap, a total exceeded by only two or three teams.

Flanagan, 32, will assume the starting center job on what might have been the worst offensive line in the NFL.

"Mike is excited," Steiner said. "He set parameters himself and stuck to it. Either someone had to meet it if they wanted him or he would very seriously contemplate retirement."

Previously, general manager Ted Thompson said if Flanagan didn't return he would consider letting young players Scott Wells, Junius Coston and Chris White battle for the job. Carolina's Jeff Mitchell and Buffalo's Trey Teague are the best veteran centers on the unrestricted market.

"If he got that kind of money, that's a hell of a deal for Mike Flanagan," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think Mike's biggest issue is his health. He's done it for a long time at a high level. Both coach Joe Philbin and James Campen hold Mike in high regard."

Flanagan tried to send a message to the organization and his teammates last season by returning to the lineup 25 days after undergoing sports hernia surgery. In 10 years, he started 64 of 98 games. Only two players, Brett Favre and William Henderson, had been with Green Bay longer.

"Playing with a sports hernia after two weeks, that speaks for itself," McCarthy said. "Free agency is a competitive market. You like to win them all. It doesn't always happen."

Not only did Flanagan play for Sherman in Green Bay but also at UCLA in 1994. The Packers took him in the third round in 1996 but his first three seasons were ruined by a devastating leg injury.

Signed as an undrafted free agent from Notre Dame in '02, Fisher was the No. 3 running back for most of the last four seasons. He played 30.3% of the downs in 2004 and 38.9% in '05, when his 430 snaps were the most for any of the team's backs.

"Obviously, Green Bay was my first choice but they really didn't do anything," Fisher said. "The coaches all said they wanted me back but, obviously, it's not up to them. It's not even Andrew. Andrew just does the talking when Ted says so.

"I can't speak for everybody. There could be a great deal of uncertainty on what's going on. Nobody knows what the direction is. Either you're rebuilding or you're not rebuilding. It's crazy.

"He (Thompson) might just want his people in there. Considering a lot of us didn't come from his drafts or him bringing us in, maybe he wants to go in another direction."

Fisher, who said he never received an offer from Green Bay, decided to take the Rams' offer and cancel scheduled visits with Pittsburgh and Buffalo. He will back up Steven Jackson.

"Nobody knows what Marshall Faulk might do," Fisher said. "I'll do the third-down stuff. Play a little fullback; I'll do tailback and special teams. I'm going to be versatile throughout the whole system.

"I loved it in Green Bay. I love the fans and I was always out in the community. Unfortunately, things didn't work out the way I would have liked for it up in Green Bay."

Starting five of 60 games, Fisher finished with 235 carries for 880 yards (3.7-yard average) and four touchdowns, and 125 receptions for 900 yards (7.2) and five touchdowns

Psycho

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, besides the fact that GakkofNorway must really hate Fisher :lol: ,

i think it's a good pickup for the rams :)

he is no 2nd string RB, that's for sure, i think (juding from some articles/and this topic that he's an OK 3rd down-blitz-pickup-pass-catching option back there)

besides, for us, Fisher is an improvement at 3rd RB: last year Arlen Harris (now with the lions) averaged a whopping 1.3 ypc (2.9 for his carreer) while healthy!!!

so i like our RB situation (jackson has ways to go (could be a good one - still has a lot to learn), faulk may be back and fisher may just be a nice pickup)

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now we have Green(hopefully healthy again), Gado(untested but looked like a diamond in the rough find) and Herron(reminds me of Fisher his rookie year). Davenport has not re-signed, Fisher will be missed, another 3 year vet who TT is letting go, I'm trying real hard to figure out the direction this team is going, I guess I will believe the old saying"There is a method to the madness"[/quote]

:-? Ah! You forgot Chaz Williams (RB) 5-9 210 (R) last year and I assume T.T. will select another RB in the later rounds of this draft. Either way there is at least some decent competition for the spot and with what we saw of Herron and Gado last year and a resurrected Ahman; GB will have what it needs. Not only that, but Gado is apparently an above average smart RB. Be an interesting training camp.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best wishes to T-Fish in STL.

One of my fav Packers...Quality specialty back...Could be counted on for a big third down catch, when healthy...

It was good to have him on the team.

Oh well...That's professional sports.

Good luck, Tony.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't have any room for Fisher or Flany. Flany isn't the player he once was and Wells is a quality replacement... Davenport is a better back than Fisher anyways.. I rather have him resigned.. which we did.. Leaving no room for Fisher..