Tony Dungy Questions Cutler Trade & QB's Maturity

Dizzle498

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tony Dungy isn't sure Jay Cutler is the answer for the Chicago Bears-- not yet, at least.The former Colts coach, now a studio football analyst for NBC, on Wednesday questioned whether Cutler had the leadership and maturity to take the Bears to the next level.
Dungy said the Bears gambled when they dealt starter Kyle Orton to theDenver Broncos for Cutler, who had a very messy, public divorce with the Broncos and new coach Josh McDaniel.
"[The Bears] took a risk [trading for Cutler]. I think they took that risk specifically with beating the Green Bay Packers in mind," Dungy said Wednesday, according to the Chicago Tribune. "I really think Chicago gave up a lot to get a quarterback who they believe is going to be the final piece of the puzzle. But I am not sure he has won enough to merit that yet."

Dungy said he recalled that when Bears coach Lovie Smith was hired, he focused on beating the Packers in one of the NFL's oldest and fiercest rivalries.
"[They got] Cutler because of Green Bay's defense and all of the press and man coverage," Dungy said, according to the Tribune. "[The Bears] have to have that threat."
But does Cutler have the maturity to go along with the big arm?
"That remains to be seen. He is a very talented guy who can throw the ball very well. But quarterbacking is so much about leadership and so much about doing things under pressure. There is going to be a lot of pressure on him," Dungy said, according to the Tribune.
"We'll see about his maturity level. That's what I would question. And some of the things that happened leading to him leaving Denver ... that would concern me as a head coach," Dungy added, according to the report. "He can make all of the throws, but quarterbacking is much more than just making throws."

From ESPN.com

I like the fact that he tells it like it is. This is a great story...all to beat the mighty Pack! Sweet.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dungy may be correct. Cutler is a nice QB but he has yet to show he can win consistently. But he is an upgrade over anything they've had there under center in eons. :lol:

sweetvalleyhigh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No take on Dungy's interview? No opinions from a bears fan?

I think he is off on why the Bears got Cutler, it's not to beat the packers. It is to win games and the packers are not the team to beat to win the division or advance to the Super Bowl, at least not based on last year's record.

I can say that the Bears did NOT take a risk on Cutler, they would have screwed up the draft picks anyway so if he is a bust I won't cry too much. I am excited that the Bears did break from tradition and go after and get Cutler.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they would have screwed up the draft picks anyway so if he is a bust I won't cry too much.
There's where bears fans shouldn't be happy. If he would screw it up, Angelo should not be your GM. But Cutler isn't a bust. He ain't Peyton Manning, though
Personally, I thought it was a great move for you. A Franchise qb is the hardest thing to find. He isn't better than Rodgers IMO, but they're close. Rodgers will be better because we have a receiving corpse and pass blocking oline miles better than yours.
The thing is, although you got the better end of the deal, you still lost too much. Your defense isn't the same as 2006. The numbers show it. It's way worse. Specially because they're old. And withouth high picks, and improvement from FA (tinoisamoa is better than Hillenmeyer, but who isn't?), you're not gonna get better soon.
-
Bottom line, despite the addition of Cutler and the surge of Matt Forte, you still don't have a O-line (which got better, I have to admit, but still isn't good), WR or D to make it to the playoffs, IMO. Not with us making improvements and the queens having AP and that D (which could change because of the Williams suspension). And, because of the trade, I don't see the bears improving anytime soon.

sweetvalleyhigh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...although you got the better end of the deal, you still lost too much.

No the Bears probably would have screwed up those picks as well.

...Your defense isn't the same as 2006. The numbers show it. It's way worse.

Well a good quarterback and the ability to score points will help the defense a lot.

And as far as a wide reciever, I don't think anyone can make that call. With the quarterback that the Bears had last year, I don't think they had a fair chance. You have to admit Culter to Hester could pose a real threat to defenses, or we will know real quick if converting him to a WR was a bust.

All teams have concerns and questions, but the Bears should be a better team in 2009 than 2008. We can't find out soon enough, lets start the season early!

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's where bears fans shouldn't be happy. If he would screw it up, Angelo should not be your GM. But Cutler isn't a bust. He ain't Peyton Manning, though
Personally, I thought it was a great move for you. A Franchise qb is the hardest thing to find. He isn't better than Rodgers IMO, but they're close. Rodgers will be better because we have a receiving corpse and pass blocking oline miles better than yours.
The thing is, although you got the better end of the deal, you still lost too much. Your defense isn't the same as 2006. The numbers show it. It's way worse. Specially because they're old. And withouth high picks, and improvement from FA (tinoisamoa is better than Hillenmeyer, but who isn't?), you're not gonna get better soon.
-
Bottom line, despite the addition of Cutler and the surge of Matt Forte, you still don't have a O-line (which got better, I have to admit, but still isn't good), WR or D to make it to the playoffs, IMO. Not with us making improvements and the queens having AP and that D (which could change because of the Williams suspension). And, because of the trade, I don't see the bears improving anytime soon.

I agree, right now I'd say Minny has the opening advantage because of their running game. That is just so important in this division, but with their QB situation, if Green Bay's o-line situation improves at all, I think we can win this division. Always have. I also think that rodgers is a much better QB than Cutler and in fact has better poise, accuracy, and an overall head on his shoulders as well.

No the Bears probably would have screwed up those picks as well.

Well a good quarterback and the ability to score points will help the defense a lot.

And as far as a wide reciever, I don't think anyone can make that call. With the quarterback that the Bears had last year, I don't think they had a fair chance. You have to admit Culter to Hester could pose a real threat to defenses, or we will know real quick if converting him to a WR was a bust.

All teams have concerns and questions, but the Bears should be a better team in 2009 than 2008. We can't find out soon enough, lets start the season early!

Are you kidding me? Devin Hester, the DB/ST star converted to WR, and last year one of your best was Brandon Lloyd. (Yes that Brandon Lloyd that was such a failure he couldn't beat out James Thrash on the REdskins Starting line up). I've not seen anyone added by the bears that is going to improve their passing game that much, though their tight ends are serviceable as pass catchers.

It will be a new offense, and while Cutler had Mad Stats on the positive he also had a high number of fumbles and INTs on his record too.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can only hope that Rodgers will only get better. He's one year younger than Cutler and seems (way) more mature. Cutler has the better arm, Rodgers the better brain and receivers.

mossdog427

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get all of the cutler hype.

I mean... how many strong arm QB's have we seen with no control, no work ethic that make bad decisions?

QB's like cutler are a dime a dozen. The fact he had a tough o-line, and elite receivers, a running game that was better than the bears, and that offense was only 16th...

that speaks volumes.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Dungy loves Michael Vick, thinks that he is a swell guy and deserves to play in the NFL again.

Is it because Vick is black or because Dungy is a complete Idiot?

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can only hope that Rodgers will only get better. He's one year younger than Cutler and seems (way) more mature. Cutler has the better arm, Rodgers the better brain and receivers.

I agree with this statement looking at only last year. Rodgers made some mistake in last minute game situations. Cutler last season made bad decisions, but he may of played better teams than Green Bay did.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really do think Rodgers will have a better year than Culter this year. But that will depend if the Bears make anymore trades for good receivers. Then I will be worried...

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really do think Rodgers will have a better year than Culter this year. But that will depend if the Bears make anymore trades for good receivers. Then I will be worried...

True, if the Bears can somehow pull off Brandon Marshall ( atleast a familiar receiver for Cutler) it will improve his game. I do still think A-Rod will be better.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting note about Brandon Marshall coming to the Bears:

New Bears QB Jay Cutler has gone out of his way to sing the praises of former teammate Brandon Marshall, who wants out of Denver. But team sources believe that, even if the Bears seriously considered a deal for the Pro Bowl receiver, it would appear that they just don’t have enough ammo at present to realistically pull it off.

Source: ProFootball Weekly

For this, it appears they are just not going to be able to make this happen.

WHICH IS GREAT! :)

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize Cutler could face a tough road in 2009. I mean, has anybody bothered to analyze the Bears' receiving corps? The only legitimate threat is Greg Olsen.

Just once (in the same vein as the those that envision world peace), I'd really appreciate guys that have the ability to comment on NFL matters and that have a vast audience read their comments, to actually spend 10 freakin' minutes doing some freakin' homework. Good Lord?!?!?

Zoidbergas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get all of the cutler hype.

I mean... how many strong arm QB's have we seen with no control, no work ethic that make bad decisions?

QB's like cutler are a dime a dozen. The fact he had a tough o-line, and elite receivers, a running game that was better than the bears, and that offense was only 16th...

that speaks volumes.

I've been reading all the NFC north's message boards for about 2 years now and I am a die hard bears fan. That statement alone made me join this board.

Now to the point. Just because Denver had 7 running backs put up 100+ yards (besides Ryan Torain) and Cutler running for 200 yards himself doesn't mean their total 1862 yards rushing beats the bears 1673.

Denver:
Miachael Pittman 76 320
Peyton Hillis 68 343
Selvin Young 61 303
Jay Cutler 57 200
Tatum Bell 44 249
Andre Hall 35 144
P.J. Pope 17 130
Ryan Torain 15 69
(Eddie Royal) 11 109 (most likely reverses)

Chicago:
Matt Forte 316 1238
Kevin Jones 34 109
Adrian Peterson 20 100
Garrett Wolfe 15 69

Ill take Matt Forte and a healthier recovered Kevin Jones back from that torn ACL two years ago.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been reading all the NFC north's message boards for about 2 years now and I am a die hard bears fan. That statement alone made me join this board.

Now to the point. Just because Denver had 7 running backs put up 100+ yards (besides Ryan Torain) and Cutler running for 200 yards himself doesn't mean their total 1862 yards rushing beats the bears 1673.

Denver:
Miachael Pittman 76 320
Peyton Hillis 68 343
Selvin Young 61 303
Jay Cutler 57 200
Tatum Bell 44 249
Andre Hall 35 144
P.J. Pope 17 130
Ryan Torain 15 69
(Eddie Royal) 11 109 (most likely reverses)

Chicago:
Matt Forte 316 1238
Kevin Jones 34 109
Adrian Peterson 20 100
Garrett Wolfe 15 69

Ill take Matt Forte and a healthier recovered Kevin Jones back from that torn ACL two years ago.
So you're saying that with worst runners, the Broncos still managed to outperform the bears? hmn...

Zoidbergas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're saying that with worst runners, the Broncos still managed to outperform the bears? hmn...

Knowing that I have a franchise running back with tremendous amount of skill I feel a lot more comfortable about the future. Rather than having a rotation of sub par injured players.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
isn't the point to get rushing yards which Denver did?

fyi Denver 387 atts

Bears 434 atts

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Knowing that I have a franchise running back with tremendous amount of skill I feel a lot more comfortable about the future. Rather than having a rotation of sub par injured players.
Nobody questions that Matt Forte is a great young Rb, but when a more talented back gains less yards than a team with sub-par Rbs, it means that either the coaches on that team are superior than yours, or that the line is superior. Either way, it's problem. And they drafted a stud in Moreno...

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody questions that Matt Forte is a great young Rb, but when a more talented back gains less yards than a team with sub-par Rbs, it means that either the coaches on that team are superior than yours, or that the line is superior. Either way, it's problem. And they drafted a stud in Moreno...

Yes, they now have a better RB but Kyle Orton at QB instead of Jay Cutler.
With a less than stellar defense that trade off is not going to go well for them.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is an interesting note about Brandon Marshall coming to the Bears:

Source: ProFootball Weekly

For this, it appears they are just not going to be able to make this happen.

WHICH IS GREAT! :)

Marshall is a free agent after this year so they can just wait till then and sign him without giving Denver anything at all.
Cutler is only 26 and they do not have to act like he is 39 with one foot in the grave and panic.
Right Viking fans?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration, I've already had this discussion with you, and already stated that I think the bears got the better end of the deal. But IMO not by much, since you guys have needs that can only be satisfied by draft, since the FA takes so much of the Salary Cap. If you had not given the future first round pick, I would say that you would be a SB caliber team in some years. But Urlacher hasn't been the same in the last 2 years, your corners are old (though you did get D.J. Moore in the draft), you need a bonafide edge rusher (IMO you have very good complementary guys, but noone that deserves real attention), you need at least 1 very good safety, you need a LT (Pace won't play for long. Don't even know of he'll play this year.), and of course you need someone from that Wr corps to step up, AND a surefire #1 receiver. Don't know how much of that you can get from late round picks and FA. (I haven't put Kreutz or the guards in that, because I think Kreutz can still play at a high level for at least 3 years, and Beekman and Garza can be very good if the line is stable.)
AND you still need to figure it out how to be a better running team, since you were 24th in Avg and in total yards last year, and 14th in TDs. Even with one of the best Rbs in the league (11th in YPG, 7th in total yards, though 18th in TDs, and a poor 3.9 avg). Maybe with both Tackles being replaced, you can get better, but if it's coaching, it's bad...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts