Tony Dungy....fired?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's about the playoffs....right? Those who begged for Sherman's head before this season, please explain to me why Tony Dungy deserves to keep his job. Check out his record versus Sherman's. How has he done in the playoffs.

But Sherman had an MVP QB......Dungy?

Come on guys step up to the plate.

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look what happened when Gruden replaced him in Tampa, they won a Superbowl. Dungy has gotten to conference title games though, something Big Mike was never able to do. Dungy has a reputation as not being able to win the big games, that's why he was replaced in Tampa.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKATTACK4 said:
Look what happened when Gruden replaced him in Tampa, they won a Superbowl. Dungy has gotten to conference title games though, something Big Mike was never able to do. Dungy has a reputation as not being able to win the big games, that's why he was replaced in Tampa.

I seems to have followed him to Indy.

BTW....I don't think he should be fired. I'm just asking the question to others.

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the disappointing ending to the season this year, next year will be a very important season for Dungy. Dungy and Peyton Manning will need to get that monkey off their back. It really seemed as this was their year, the death of Dungy's son I think played a big roll in how the season ended. I think it is very hard to make sense of playing a football game after that tragedy, it takes away alot of your fire. Even though he may not admit it, he has not had enough time to properly grieve. I know because I had lost a son at a young age. My heart goes out to him.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss PACK. Must be an unbelievable thing to go through. To be honest, I think Manning is their downfall. The way he disrespected Dungy, calling off the punt team, was over the top.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think all the air went out of the Colts when Dungy's son committed suicide. That was just too awful for words. It's impossible to tell how much it really affected the team, but I have to give them and Dungy the benefit of the doubt. Next year will be the key, if they can keep that team together.

I don't blame Manning for the loss either, unless it was his fault for not giving his linemen better instructions to block all those blitzers. For most of the game, he had no time to throw the ball, but he still only threw one interception (which the officials then took away from the Steelers).

As for Dungy vs. Sherman, I still give Dungy the advantage because he's made it farther in the playoffs (conference championships) and with the Colts, he's done it in a tougher conference. But in spite of his success at Tampa Bay, I still think the Bucs were right to fire him. And if he doesn't get the Colts any farther in the next couple years, they should probably fire him too. Too many years of falling short creates a bad vibe after awhile. That's why I finally soured on Sherman after supporting him for five years.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I think all the air went out of the Colts when Dungy's son committed suicide. That was just too awful for words. It's impossible to tell how much it really affected the team, but I have to give them and Dungy the benefit of the doubt. Next year will be the key, if they can keep that team together.

I don't blame Manning for the loss either, unless it was his fault for not giving his linemen better instructions to block all those blitzers. For most of the game, he had no time to throw the ball, but he still only threw one interception (which the officials then took away from the Steelers).

As for Dungy vs. Sherman, I still give Dungy the advantage because he's made it farther in the playoffs (conference championships) and with the Colts, he's done it in a tougher conference. But in spite of his success at Tampa Bay, I still think the Bucs were right to fire him. And if he doesn't get the Colts any farther in the next couple years, they should probably fire him too. Too many years of falling short creates a bad vibe after awhile. That's why I finally soured on Sherman after supporting him for five years.

Tony Dungy is one of the finest coaches in the NFL. He built the Bucs from ashes and he turned the Colts around. I agree with you on the Dungy Vs Sherman rating -- Dungy is a better coach period.

Good teams get beat sometimes. The person I am questioning right now is Payton Manning. He is a great QB with great weapons, but he does seem to crumble in the pressure of big games. I also think he lacks class with his whiney blaming of his offensive line. Hell of a leader, one who loves to hog the spot light and is quick to pass blame.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No Bruce..

He was pressured with like 6 questions about it..and finally he said they had problems with pass protection..which they DID!!

Should he lie about it...or say it's on me...

I don't buy that bullcrap...

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He also had a problem with holding onto the ball for 5 seconds. You can't expect your OL to protect forever. A lot of the credit GBs OL gets for not giving up sacks is due (in large part) to Brett reading blitzes and getting rid of the ball very quickly. Peyton doesn't have that ability.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think dungy a good coach gruden got lucky when tampa got to the super bowl if it werent for dungy to get the guys where they needed to be they wouldnt have gotten there that year,after all it was that year when they went.i hope after what happenend this year they get there next year that is if we dont.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack 66: I was wondering about the context of that statement of Manning's. All I heard was about a three-second clip, but the way he said it, I wondered if he had been asked repeatedly and finally just came right out and stated the obvious: they had problems in protection. So thanks for clearing that up for me.

It was still an unwise thing to say, but those things happen sometimes when players are interviewed after crushing defeats. (To cite the most recent example, Tiki Barber did not exactly distinguish himself last week when he said his team was outcoached.)

TO: I sure don't remember Manning holding onto the ball for 5 seconds at any point in that game. Maybe I'm wrong. But my memory of that game was that the rush was on him very, very quickly, and there was almost always a strong push in the middle that prevented him from stepping up to avoid it. He did well to throw just the one interception and commit no fumbles.

I do like Tony Dungy, and I would like to see him win a championship.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I remember is Peyton seemingly audibling to slants etc. to counteract the blitz, which often never came, and consequently no one being open at all which resulted in Peyton having to hold the ball forever and the Steelers being able to get home with three and four guys. For all the talk about the Steelers and their blitzing D, they only blitzed (I think 12 or so times the entire game).

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're right, dungy is over rated. but his son did die, and that mighta interfered with things...who knows

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
No Bruce..

He was pressured with like 6 questions about it..and finally he said they had problems with pass protection..which they DID!!

Like it or not - as Bradshaw stated - you must work real hard to just not say anything. The Press will kill you for anything you "do" say....

Manning was just as much at fault with his errant passes as anyone else on the field. The minute he stepped out onto the field, I knew something was up - remember, I live down here in Indy (?) - he was hoppin' on his feet, like when they played against the Patriots last year. He had "happy feet" and it was all his own doing.

Peyton lost that game, not Dungy. Plus the Offensive Line Coach had plenty of warning about what to expect from the Steeler's Defense - the Nose Tackle was ready to lay Jeff Staurday completely out; which he did!

And, the Left tackle, standing next to Saturday had more penalty calls on him than anyone else on the Team, I believe. He didn't help things - was he paid off? All I know.. is that someone got into Peyton Manning's head.... and his feet told the story, along with his suddenly in-accurate passes.

The Steelers came back to Indy and this time, they were HEALTHY - and the Colts did not prepare properly. They could have.. it was home turf..

the Team let the Coach down, this time. The Colts just simply quit!

That's all.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
No Bruce..

As the face of that franchise, Manning has an extraordinary responsibility when dealing with the media. When the Colts are running off win after win, all the press wants to talk about is the undefeated season..and rightfully so. Also, during that time, they want to give Manning most of the credit. It's up to Manning (as a leader) to deflect some of the credit amongst his teammates because football is the ultimate team game.

The unfortunate thing about being that leader is this: Manning must take much of the blame when the team loses. QB's will always get too much credit and too much blame no matter what.

I could give a rat's *** how many questions were asked to Peyton, he made a mistake in calling out the O-Line.

Members online

Latest posts