To little to late

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's up with the offense? Why can't they score? Down 19-7 in the 4th and then they decide to start rolling. To little to late to start moving the ball in the 4th, what was wrong with the first 3 quarters.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The play calling of the two-headed, goat-footed ignoramus called Rossley/Sherman....

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had all the marks of a Rossley called game. Passive and non-challenging...never exploiting an opponent's weakness, just "doing what we do"...never adjusting for the opponent.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the in depth analysis pack66

Obviously wasting away minutes of the 4th quarter when down 9 was a joke...but I'm not sure why Favre didn't just start up the hurry up.

Part of the problem was Brett not recognizing what was there...for whatever reason, the 2 wr sets weren't working...Brett had all day to throw, but couldn't find anyone, however we saw on the Fergy int how open Henderson was, or how well those underneath routes were working well.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fire Rossley, when Sherman took control of play calling last year we were much better, Rossley should have retired after his heart problem.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Had all the marks of a Rossley called game. Passive and non-challenging...never exploiting an opponent's weakness, just "doing what we do"...never adjusting for the opponent.

Good point. It's looking a lot like the beginning of last year before Sherman called the plays. I hope it doesn't take another heart attack for them to see this.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yeah musscy...

i guess Favre just sucks and Sherman is a "genius"....

yeah..that's must be it..

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack...you're missing my point. To some degree I'm agreeing w/ you, but I'm tired of reading this "The Packers lost because sherman is retarded and if he could only game plan and play call like Belichek." That post has NO substance to it. What, specifically does Belichek do that's better. What, specifically did Sherman screw up...

I'll give you some examples of what I mean...waiting 'til the last minute to go to the hurry up was stupid...why were they running a delayed draw w/ 5 minutes to go down 9...why were they shying away from that underneath route to the wrs that seemed to be working?...not that I necessarily agree w/ all the points I just listed, but my point is, cite an example rather than constantly saying "Rossely is a poopstain."

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

exactly..."ok we scored a touchdown first drive, lets let them catch up"

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
muscy,

instead of Bellicheck..you can substitute Jon Fox, or Gruden..or any number of coaches in the nfl...

(there are numerous examples of terrible decision making and play calls that I and others have pointed out over the years...and i'm sure..if you wanted we can pull them all out again...and kind of make a database out of them...probably take up 100 megs...if Ryan could spare it..)

the bottom line is if he wasn't a good gm..can't make game time decisions...and is not very good at game planning and calling plays, then just what exactly is Sherman good at?

i am seriously asking...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YOU'RE DOING IT AGAIN....I ask you to cite specific examples of what sherman f'd up at because that is something we can debate...e.g. we can debate his signing of J.J, we can debate a 4 and 1 decision, we can debate his choice to start JT over AC...but it's hard to debate anything when you constantly revert back to "Sherman can't make game time decisions." What the hell does that mean?!?

AGAIN, I'm starting to slightly lean towards your anti-sherman side, I'm just asking you to expand on what you say, or at least support it w/ examples...it always reverts back to "sherman can't coach and Belichek can." That means nothing, so yes, please use up 100 GBs of space.

There are plenty of points we could debate in yesterday's game, so why not start?...the WRs weren't getting open...what could have been done? Was it the coverage, should the Pack have been playing more 3 or 4 wr sets?!? Did the Packers do a sufficient job at trying to establish the run, thus setting up the play action pass...?

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
There are plenty of points we could debate in yesterday's game...the WRs weren't getting open...what could have been done? Was it the coverage, should the Pack have been playing more 3-4 wr sets?!? Did the Packers do a sufficient job at trying to establish the run? Should they have used more of the U-71 package...etc.

you can get into playcalling/formations, sets, etc...

i take the route of...why weren't we running up to the line of scrimmage with a little more urgency during the 95-yard drive, it was an incredible drive where sherman/rossley (someone) finally got the ball movement right...but this team wasn't getting to the line quickly, wasn't trying to get out of bounds, and that drive killed around 5-6 minutes...

did we try one screen pass? i remember that was always a way to get ahman free and run with the ball, picking up some yardage, i'd like to see more of that...the browns' D had some good coverage on us yesterday, we need those 'change of pace' plays...we used some good playaction plays, but more screens, or wide reciever screens...if you remember the one key 3rd down conversion on the big drives, we sent chatman short across the middle, he ran for a bunch of yards cause the browns dropped back. its the sherman/rossley (from now on i'm just gonna say Sherrosley) trademark for us not to adjust to the flow of the game/tendencies of the opposing defense

3rd down plays...its a no brainer, our two most dangerous weapons, recieving, from the backfield are willie henderson and ahman green...why, WHY on 3rd down would you have your one back being tony fisher...this is just Sherrosley not doing what it takes to win...see when you're behind and desparate like we were late in the 4th, you've gotta throw the kitchen sink at the opposition to pick up yards and points

you make mention of the U-71 package, i didn't see it...our tight ends cant block, bubba franks, david martin, theyre not the best blockers, throw kevin barry in there, or soemthing

I say get Whitticker out of the lineup and start Ruegammer...Whitticker was one hell of a pick, for this kid even to show the potential to start, a few months after being picked somewhere in the 200's, it's a great pick, and there's a great chance he'll pan out to be one heck of a guard...but he's not ready for the NFL yet, put Ruegammer in his spot, we know Ruegammer can come off the bench and fill a hole, and that will cut down all of the false start penalties that we had yesterday.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
muscy,

instead of Bellicheck..you can substitute Jon Fox, or Gruden..or any number of coaches in the nfl...

(there are numerous examples of terrible decision making and play calls that I and others have pointed out over the years...and i'm sure..if you wanted we can pull them all out again...and kind of make a database out of them...probably take up 100 megs...if Ryan could spare it..)

the bottom line is if he wasn't a good gm..can't make game time decisions...and is not very good at game planning and calling plays, then just what exactly is Sherman good at?

i am seriously asking...

He's good at handling Press Conferences.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about this one, musccy. Down by two scores with 4 minutes and change to go in the game...he has that offense huddling up, and taking their sweet-*** time in doing so, I might add.

I remember just how dangerous Favre is in the 2 minute drill, does he have a clue as to this aspect of Favre's game...apparently not as this has been common under MS.

Is that specific enough?

How about this...teams have been cheating up to the line to stop our running game first and foremost. Driver nails them on a slant behind the backers and we never attempted that route again.

Need more, hows about this...............

Mike Sherman spent the last 5 years changing this team into a power run offense and has not the: a) patience, b) fortitude, c) philosophical inclination, or d) all the above...to feed our back the ball with any consistency.

I have never in recent history seen a guy who will so willingly abandon the run when down by one score, or, at the very least, with time to make up the difference. Other teams know it too, and he is playing right into their defenses when he does so.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs...the point of my post wasn't the competence of MS...it was just to get people to actually post something meaningful rather than say a bunch of generic "the Packers lost, so I guess that means Sherman is dumb"-quality posts. I was just throwing out some examples off of the top of my head of topics with some meaning to them that we can actually debate.

But yes, thanks, that was the sort of thing I was looking for, and I too was pulling out my hair when the Packers were farting around, even w/ 9 minutes to go...a hurry up offense at that point likely would have forced the Browns into everyone's favorite...the prevent defense...and I'm willing to bet the Packers wouldn't have had to rely on a last minute defensive stop. Part of me has always enjoyed the Packers being down late in the game because they seem to have a very efficient 2 minute offense under Brett.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ok musscy...

Here's one for you...is Bubba Franks still on this team or what?

Why sign a guy if you're never going to call his number?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
ok musscy...

Here's one for you...is Bubba Franks still on this team or what?

Why sign a guy if you're never going to call his number?

Franks isn't particularily elusive, so it's possible he's being blanketed by the lbs, but I'm willing to bet that doesn't entirely explain what's going on. I too am dissapointed that he (and the TE in general) are not utilized more in the offense. It appeared that the check offs would have been a better option a lot yesterday...e.g. William Henderson on the Fergy int. Maybe that could have committed some of the dbs more, thus opening up the deep pass...it's not just the run that opens it up the passing game...short passes can too.

Members online

Latest posts