To All Sherman backers...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Will someone please explain this to me..?

Do you think that it was a smart coaching decision to call a draw play on 3rd and 3 in the Viking dome in the 4th Qtr, when the Packers were driving down the field based upon Brett Favre's passing ability....

AND...

these following facts...

1. Wells hasn't played that much this year at center and is learning on the job..

2. Wells ALREADY HAD a bad snap on the last Packer drive, that killed the drive..and the Packers had to settle for a FG that was missed...

3. Dome noise...it's kind of hard to do a silent count in a noisy dome, with a NEW CENTER who hasn't had the reps...and already made a mistake on this play 2 minutes ago...

4. Brett Favre is under center...

Now either SherRossley has EXTREMELY SHORT TERM MEMORY...or he's a moron who can't put 2X2 together...

The Pack just blew a TD drive 2 mins..prior...on this very play..A SHOTGUN SNAP FROM CENTER....

Now please answer this question for me....

HOW THE HELL DO YOU RUN THE SAME DAMN PLAY AND HAVE A SIMILAR BREAKDOWN IF YOU KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE DOING OUT THERE?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must've missed the first time Scott Wells made a mistake as you're describing... I do have to run a Fan Club... Personally, I think the issue for Wells HAD TO BE.. the elevated noise in the Dome. He played about 5, maybe 6 games last year, right? At the end of the Season? Brett had made comment - he forgot who was in at Center - as if he had alzheimers or whatever.. Apparently, Scott was doing such a great job at the time, it gave Favre a chance to simply play his game... pretty good compliment if you ask me. Wells will have to play approximately three, maybe four more games and he'll have played an whole season - just not all at once. I expect Scott to have corrected those issues by tomorrow at Cincinnati. Certainly, Brett and he would be talking it over in the Locker Room, or at dinner later on... Neither of these guys are fools. And, right now, Scott Wells is still way better than Flanagan - who should not even be practicing right now.... Sherman is going to ruin quite a few careers in his attempts to cover up his mistakes and pushing these guys too fast, too soon... you watch :!:

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IPB..

I'm not blaming Wells...

But in lieu of the fact that there was the same kind of bad snap in the shotgun on the drive previous at the 20yd line where Longwell missed the FG..

I'M STILL WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO EXPLAIN HOW THIS PLAY CALL WAS A GOOD IDEA..BASED UPON THOSE FACTS...

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to decide if you will get over it or you won't.

If you won't then perhaps it can be replaced with new complaints after the next game.

This is not a perfect world. Even in his final years Frank Winters made the occaisional mistake.

It is the NFL(No Fault League) and mistakes are are called inconsistancies in play. The mistakes will either be corrected or they won't.

If they aren't then the player can be replaced by another who may or may not make mistakes.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But what about the coach Cheez..

Who answers for the damn coach..it was HIS friggin' mistake to even call the play...jeez..or does he get a free pass from everyone?

Pack14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard it should have been a run to the right side. Fisher had no choice on the play but to try taking it up the middle. Someone posted it earlier on another thread. I think it was a interview with Tony Fisher describing the play.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack14 said:
I heard it should have been a run to the right side. Fisher had no choice on the play but to try taking it up the middle. Someone posted it earlier on another thread. I think it was a interview with Tony Fisher describing the play.

Indeed, Z2C posted that in another thread.

P@ck66 said:
But what the coach Cheez..

Who answers for the damn coach..it was HIS friggin' mistake to even call the play...jeez..

The GM at some point will need to fire him. Which I think everyone knows will not happen this year due to the extension. So what is the point of complaining really?

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Ryan If we dont complain, at least here, IMHO we will become partners on this issue.

I really tried my best to keep supporting Sherman, but game after game, and press conference after press conference, I have seen that he is unable to run a winning team as HC, unable to be a good or at least competitiveas GM, so right now maybe the only thing that I can do is speak out on this points, maybe I am wrong but maybe I am not.

I really disliked TT giving him a contract extension and right now I think TT must regret doing so.

I would love to see Sherman in a press conference giving an apologi to all packer fans for his mistakes during the game and not looking for excuses and leaving the press conference in a hurry, like he did after the Vikings game, I would have loved to see Shermy doing what Bret did in his press conference after the game, but I know I am dreaming.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACK66. As was touched on, the Packers didn't call a draw...it was a broken play. Read the message board occassionally (post started by zero2cool) and get your facts straight.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Sherman should expect that Wells can't execute a shotgun snap because he messed it up once.

Yea....you're reasonable. Shouldn't Sherman be blamed for attempting a field goal when Longwell missed one earllier. If Brett throws a pick tomorrow should he not call another pass all day?

pkrfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
Pack14 said:
The GM at some point will need to fire him. Which I think everyone knows will not happen this year due to the extension. So what is the point of complaining really?

I think the Organization has enough stored up...100m saved up...they can afford to pay him his two year salary...I would just to get him out of here.

Its not just the center issue here. You have, IMHO, a bad snap, an ailing RB replaced by a THIRD string RB, a 3 time MVP handing off the ball to a 3rd string RB, an offense that has had some success at passing the ball this game and little success running it, and no momentum whatsoever the 2nd half. Mix up ingredients and create a conservative play call that is going for the tie instead of a win in a game where we have lost all momentum and would not last in OT...oh, btw Longwell has not been so LONG or WELL as of recent kicks...IN THE SAME GAME!

It doesn't matter where the draw play was suppose to go...it was a draw play. Play your strength. Even if it is obviously a pass play, it was obviously a pass play the entire series. Yet we were driving.

There have been other questionable play calls at the end of the game this year. But I won't get into that. I think the Org needs to take the lump and pay MS a 2yr severance and be done with him. He shows no emotion....remember the old MS that went after SAPP...where the hell is he?!?!

pkrfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Right.....then why wouldn't you want to Fire TT for extending his contract?

I don't know the TT shouldn't be fired. But I am not sure he was aware of MS's coaching ability. A big clue to HC issues is to look at the number of penalties incurred by a team. This year has been aweful. Bad snaps "because of a noisy dome"--coaching issue. Everything a HC is suppose to do is hand all the tools and knowledge of what to expected in a game to the players. Call plays...that lead to its success and make error free or error minimized plays--penalties!

If TT had known of the issues and still extended the contract...then he should be on the chopping block as well...that's left for BH to call.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem was not the draw, it was not the snap, it was not the 3rd string RB or any problem other than the fact that the D could not manage to defense the sidelines when everyone in the frigging Dome knew where the pass was going. Everyone's hero Jim Bates' D had a horrible second half and it was capped off by coverage on the final drive that would have made Ed Donatell proud.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Depack..

You should know better..this is the kind of stuff that almost got Herman Edwards run out of NY last year...

Also..what if Longwell would have missed the FG..wouldn't that have looked good for your hero..?

The point is, imo..it was a bad decision at a critical time...(especially since Wells was already having trouble in this game)...which is Sherman's MO....

TT made a horrible mistake...

pkrfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I am saying....

The coaching staff (including GM) have made decisions that have been questionable. No pursuit of personnel on defense. Obvious coaching errors and poor training. Poor play calling. Repeated errors call for jobs. This is a business. You are required to perform or you should be gone. I am not looking for another era of losing and not holding people responsible..ie the Starr years.

It will be interesting how TT and MS handle the massive injury situation. BTW, an injury situation I also attribute to coaching and training.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pkrfan...you can NOT attribute a knee injury to coaching.

Hamstring, cramping, things like that...maybe but that's REALLY stretching it.

TOPack...excellent post. I like Bates so far, but if you're going to point fingers, you can't ignore what happened w/ HIS defense in the 2nd half.

pkrfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TopPackerFan...I agree, the defense is nowhere it should be...but you can attribute that to JB or do you blame the people that PICK the personel to put on the field? Sherman's GM position will continue to affect the Packers for a couple more years. TT's lack of attention to the D is also affecting it. I think JB is a good D coach...not GREAT but not bad. But when given this personel to work with, noone is going to look like a GREAT D coach.

Musccy....you'd be surprised to learn the number of injuries on a team that has lossed hope for the season vs. a contender. I did not address a specific injury.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pkrfan...OK, I thought you were blaming a type of injury (which is conceivable...conditioning can lead to hamstring injuries for example), but generally the type of injury isn't due to coaching (i.e. Walker, Fergy's knee injuries).

As for faking injuires because the team stinks, I agree that could happen, but IMO that's not happening.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman is responsible for the weather on game days also. It has been normal, average and predictable. If there was some wind, snow, and fog the team would do better and have fewer injuries.

No creativity in Mike Sherman. His weather at home games has been especially lacking.