TJ Lang gets a contract extension

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJ Lang received a contract extension today, for 4 years. The only other big name free Agent for next season unsigned is Greg Jennings.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Good. He's a good LG and versatile enough to fill in at OT. Along with Bulaga and Sitton he's part of a young and solid OL core. I hope Newhouse and Sherrod will join that core but IMO Newhouse isn't there yet and Sherrod of course has to get healthy. If one of them is the long-term answer at LT, that just leaves a long-term answer at OC.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
TJ Lang received a contract extension today, for 4 years. The only other big name free Agent for next season unsigned is Greg Jennings.
Don't forget EDS! (sarcasm)

And *cough *cough Rodgers *cough lol

Don't forget Rodgers will probably need to get an extension next offseason.
You do realize that at the moment we still have him under contract til 2014 right? he doesn't "need" another deal, but it would be "beneficial" to give him his extension next year, and he does "deserve" it.

On a side note, whatever happened to playing for the amount of money for the amount of time you *signed a contract* to play for? If you want more money after 3 years, don't sign a 5 year deal. (lookin at you MJD)

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

And *cough *cough Rodgers *cough lol

Don't forget Rodgers will probably need to get an extension next offseason.
You do realize that at the moment we still have him under contract til 2014 right? he doesn't "need" another deal, but it would be "beneficial" to give him his extension next year, and he does "deserve" it.

On a side note, whatever happened to playing for the amount of money for the amount of time you *signed a contract* to play for? If you want more money after 3 years, don't sign a 5 year deal. (lookin at you MJD)

Reaction score

True, but Rodgers and the Packers as an organization have made it clear that they want to make something happen after this year. Probably a 7 year 100 some Million contract.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a priority but he won't become a free agent next year this he wasn't listed

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Good. He's a good LG and versatile enough to fill in at OT. Along with Bulaga and Sitton he's part of a young and solid OL core. I hope Newhouse and Sherrod will join that core but IMO Newhouse isn't there yet and Sherrod of course has to get healthy. If one of them is the long-term answer at LT, that just leaves a long-term answer at OC.
Agreed. It's a good deal at the price considering he's probably the 2nd string tackle until Sherrod is healthy. It's comforting to know that with a game on the line he would be there to fill in at tackle with a certain amount of hope for decent play.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's always good when u can re-sign a dedicated & huge team player. Lang signed a deal for 4 yrs at $21M. Didn't read where it said how much was guaranteed. His team mates were razzing him. Saturday said to ask him about his deal as he(Saturday)heard the Brinks truck backing up. The article is a good read should u get the chance

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lang is an excellent player and teammate from what I have read and dedicated to improving his craft. All good for the green and gold. He deserves the dough.

Thanks for re-signing with the Pack, T.J.

H

HardRightEdge

rotoworld.com reported the contract details as follows:

"8/13/2012: Signed a five-year, $22.06 million contract. The deal included a $5.5 million signing bonus. Lang is eligible for annual offseason workout bonuses of $200,000 and $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses in years two through five. Another $250,000 is available through a Pro Bowl escalator. 2012: $760,000, 2013: $750,000 (+ $750,000 roster bonus), 2014: $3.5 million, 2015: $4.2 million, 2016: $4.6 million, 2017: Free Agent"

As is evident, the cap hit is backloaded to 2014 - 2016.

Lang had a very good season last year; he outplayed Sitton in my opinion. The potential total of this contract is about $5 mil less than what AZ is paying Colledge, while Lang is the better, younger OG. Chalk one up for TT.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm happy with this extension too - as I previously posted if Newhouse and/or Sherrod emerge as legit starting LTs, only the OC position going forward (or LG if Lang is switched to OC after Saturday's departure which an article at Packer Update notes) needs to be addressed long-term. Lang's a team guy, (I believe he's) as versatile as any OL they have and he appears to be a solid human being. HardRightEdge is right about Colledge - sometimes the contracts a GM doesn't extend are among his best moves.

BTW, Wilde reported that during an interview in the locker room what other Packers shouted at him (I think it was Sitton) was, 'How does it feel being paid more than Jordy Nelson?!' Nelson signed a VERY team friendly deal for the WR he is turning out to be. jsonline is reporting that the Packers are currently about $10.9M under the cap after this signing - only 8 teams have more cap space. IOW this won't be the last extension this season. Thompson and Ball continue to do a great job managing the cap. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/166310836.html

BTW, not sure why this thread wasn't/isn't added to this one: http://www.packerforum.com/threads/lang-extended-are-we-going-to-have-enough-money-to-keep-our-guys.38306/ Or this one: http://www.packerforum.com/threads/tj-lang-gets-a-contract-extension.38262/

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, Wilde reported that during an interview in the locker room what other Packers shouted at him (I think it was Sitton) was, 'How does it feel being paid more than Jordy Nelson?!'

That is hilarious. It bodes well for the makeup of the team that a lineman can razz a WR - particularly when so many are prima donnas. Great find Jack!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um... Why is there 3 threads on tj Lang? Aaron Rodgers or DD? Sure. But TJ?

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad to see this guy get locked down for a few more years. I think a big part of Oline success is continuity and with 3 studs locked up we could really be looking at a good line. The one thing I kind of disagree about is Lang's versatility, for me I see him as a bit of a liability on the edge. He excels on the inside of the line but on the outside his weaknesses were highlighted and that's why he was moved inside in the first place if I remember correctly.

Latest posts