Time to sign a free agent on defense

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point being that some people from Wisconsin might remember if they were curious about college.

No need to be douchy
No need to insult anyone. I was simply wondering what the point was about a player being from UW. You could have simply answered and left it at that without the childishness.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero chance NO let's graham hit FA. Even if he did, we can't make 3 players the highest paid players at their position. It's not realistic fiscally.

They need to take the best player available outside of QB and O line in the first round.
I wouldn't bother with a WR or RB either. I'd like to see the best S, ILB or TE taken in the first round. My top 3 players in order of preference are Clinton-Dix, Mosley and Amaro. But everyone's top 3 are liable to change after the college all-star games and the combine.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget arrests that are bound to come
True. Clinton-Dix was suspended briefly this year but I couldn't find anything about an arrest. Mosley I don't think has been arrest. Amaro has but it was for using someone else's credit card to buy food, WITH the card owner's permission. That's a non-issue to me.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were plenty of free agents who could have helped the Packers last offseason, including at the Safety position and for not all that much money. Yet, the Packers big moves besides signing Rodgers and Matthews were signing Brad Jones and Morgan Burnett to big new contracts. And the team went into 2013 with Jerron McMillian and M.D. Jennings next to Morgan Burnett.

What makes others think Ted Thompson will take part in free agency this offseason when so many of his own players are set to become free agents?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We'll TT needs to do something because this whole draft and develop hasn't paid off recently with "great results." The jury is still out on Nick Perry and Datone Jones but "bust label" is right around the corner. Burnett is a disaster at free safety, and strong safety is even a bigger disaster. No way Raji is worth the money based on recent production. I know there have been injuries but the Seattle Seahawks have leap frogged the Pack with making free agent moves.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tired of this seemingly never-ending process of re-building the D with no results. I think they should trade up to get C.J Mosley in first round if they need too and get Deone Bucannon, Washington State(SS) in second round. Those two guys are "fast and nasty." Make a move on Jimmie Graham if he makes free agency. Let Pickett, Jones & Jones, Raji, Starks, Finley go. Try to keep Neal, Lattimore, Kuhn, EDS, and Jolly on the cheap. Restructure Traymon Williams contract to keep Shields if possible or let one of them go. Hope Hayward can become starting corner. Dump the rest and draft. The defense with those new additions couldn't be a any worse then last year and offense would be "smokin" with Graham.

With jimmy graham the offense would be "smokin" but when we did win it would probably be scoring in the 30's while giving up 30+ a game. But hey, if we are going to suck on defense mise well surround Rodgers with more weapons haha.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Put a defense together that can hold teams to field goals and score "touchdowns"

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morgan Burnett really surprised me this season. At the time, I thought his contract was deserved as he was playing well and on his way to being really good, but he somehow got worse. I bet even the coaches have a hard time figuring that one out.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that you should stay away from the first week of free agency. Moreover you should keep in mind that free agents will essentially cost you compensatory picks (assuming that more players leave, than you sign). So the value of the guy you sign should be higher than the value of that draft pick. Having said that, I am not against some "under the radar" free agency signings, especially on defense.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodbye to the following:

Mike Neal
Bj Raji
Ryan Pickett
MD Jennings
Jeramicheal Finley
James Starks
EDS
Marsha Newhouse
Brad Jones
James Jones

Restructure Kuhn, Williams, and Burnett.

Packers will have plenty of money to resign Shields and be a player in FA if TT really wants to. You can sign at least two solid free agents plus the rookies without going into cap salary hell. Not to mention the fact that Jordy Nelson will be a high priority to resign as well. My thought process with TT is after the year Starks had a contract will be offered to him but Starks probably feels he can go somewhere and start. Finley? who knows? if he's healthy do you give him the tag? or do you give the tag to James Jones? my money is they give the tag to Raji and we have to watch him do nothing impactful from the line another year because he's got no nasty in him.

You have guy's like Dante Whitner that will immediately upgrade the safety slot because he can tackle and cover. Not some rookie but a PROVEN player.

Then theres Brandon Spikes who is rated the third best ilb in the league as far as stopping the run. lord knows we need guys to stop the run. Whitner and Spikes IMMEDIATELY help us in that area and won't break the bank.

Then you have more options with your 1st rd. pick because you have filled two positions of MAJOR need already by oooh looky here free agency. Now would you look at that.

Then TT can try to trade up and nab OLB/DE Anthony Barr from UCLA or Jadaveon Clowney from South Carolina. Omg i just got chills thinking of how good this defense can be with just a few additions of playmakers.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodbye to the following:

Mike Neal
Bj Raji
Ryan Pickett
MD Jennings
Jeramicheal Finley
James Starks
EDS
Marsha Newhouse
Brad Jones
James Jones

Restructure Kuhn, Williams, and Burnett.

Packers will have plenty of money to resign Shields and be a player in FA if TT really wants to. You can sign at least two solid free agents plus the rookies without going into cap salary hell. Not to mention the fact that Jordy Nelson will be a high priority to resign as well. My thought process with TT is after the year Starks had a contract will be offered to him but Starks probably feels he can go somewhere and start. Finley? who knows? if he's healthy do you give him the tag? or do you give the tag to James Jones? my money is they give the tag to Raji and we have to watch him do nothing impactful from the line another year because he's got no nasty in him.

You have guy's like Dante Whitner that will immediately upgrade the safety slot because he can tackle and cover. Not some rookie but a PROVEN player.

Then theres Brandon Spikes who is rated the third best ilb in the league as far as stopping the run. lord knows we need guys to stop the run. Whitner and Spikes IMMEDIATELY help us in that area and won't break the bank.

Then you have more options with your 1st rd. pick because you have filled two positions of MAJOR need already by oooh looky here free agency. Now would you look at that.

Then TT can try to trade up and nab OLB/DE Anthony Barr from UCLA or Jadaveon Clowney from South Carolina. Omg i just got chills thinking of how good this defense can be with just a few additions of playmakers.

Not a guarantee a big money free agent makes the team better. A few big spending teams prove that every season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Not a guarantee a big money free agent makes the team better. A few big spending teams prove that every season.
Yeah but it's not a guarantee a lot of these guys on are current roster are gonna live up to draft stock. Many haven't so far. Still waiting and Rodgers is in his prime. At least with a couple key free agents you know they have made "big plays" before.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Zero chance NO let's graham hit FA. Even if he did, we can't make 3 players the highest paid players at their position. It's not realistic fiscally.

They need to take the best player available outside of QB and O line in the first round.
Why not? Didn't Denver do it? If you get rid of Jones, Raji, and Traymon u get Graham. Now we have best offense in league and don't lose to much production on defensive side based on recent performance. Then draft D.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but it's not a guarantee a lot of these guys on are current roster are gonna live up to draft stock. Many haven't so far. Still waiting and Rodgers is in his prime. At least with a couple key free agents you know they have made "big plays" before.

I'm not a fan of spending big money on free agents. It may not be a guarantee that guys won't like up to draft stock as well, but it's much cheaper and doesn't damage the cap.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JIMMY GRAHAM to GREEN BAY?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

WHY waste any of your dreams on that?

There is a better chance of you:
  • Winning the Powerball this week
  • Having intimate relations with Jessica Biel. And Megan Foxx. And Olivia Wilde.
  • Becoming US President
  • Seeing and being aducted by a UFO this week
  • Being struck by lightning
  • Hitting two hole-in-ones on the same day
  • Finding a cure for all cancers and baldness
  • Discovering what really happened to Jimmy Hoffa and where he is

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Whitner might have the extra incentive of not having to worry about trying to tackle Lacy again.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of spending big money on free agents. It may not be a guarantee that guys won't like up to draft stock as well, but it's much cheaper and doesn't damage the cap.

I get it and usually I'm right there with ya but after following this defense very closely the last few years I am losing hope and patience that it will ever be a dominant defense with how things are going. I feel like we're right where we were last year, and the year before only now we don't even want to sign most of the players the team has supposedly developed that are free agents. Doesn't seem to be working. If we let some of these guys go the packers are way way under the cap. Enough to make some "big moves."

Bottom line for me and I don't know about others in here but I am sick and tired of my beloved packers "losing to the 49'ers and Harbough. " Makes me want to puke. With everything that has happened to Rodgers and all things considered. I really think this team needs to be built to win the next few years. pack only scored 20 pts against the niners. Our make-shift injured D held them mostly to field goals in red zone. We haven't been as good this last year in redone especially with Rodgers and Finely going down. I have fantasies about getting Rodgers another weapon in the red zone like "jimmy Graham". I mean we were set to pay finely 8 mill until he got injured. It Probably will never happen but I can dream.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
JIMMY GRAHAM to GREEN BAY?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

WHY waste any of your dreams on that?

There is a better chance of you:
  • Winning the Powerball this week
  • Having intimate relations with Jessica Biel. And Megan Foxx. And Olivia Wilde.
  • Becoming US President
  • Seeing and being aducted by a UFO this week
  • Being struck by lightning
  • Hitting two hole-in-ones on the same day
  • Finding a cure for all cancers and baldness
  • Discovering what really happened to Jimmy Hoffa and where he is
That's funny, then tell me how the Packers are going to beat the 49'ers next season and compete with the "stinky bears" and all there weapons?

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have fantasies about getting Rodgers another weapon in the red zone like "jimmy Graham". I mean we were set to pay finely 8 mill until he got injured. It Probably will never happen but I can dream.
Save the outrageous money Graham will want and draft Amaro (if Clinton-Dix and Mosley are gone.)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Save the outrageous money Graham will want and draft Amaro (if Clinton-Dix and Mosley are gone.)

I like Mosley, and think he would be worth trading up for a few spots. I have heard reports Dix is purely a free safety type and not a true number 1 round pick. In last years draft it's said he is second round talent. I'm gonna keep saying this one "Deon Bucannon" WSU SS

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts