Time to sign a free agent on defense

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know TT loves to develop through the draft and for the most part i applaud that strategy, but at times a free agent signing is in order. Unfortunately, our greatest needs on defense are also the shallowest positions in this draft. Clearly, if by chance Clinton-Dix or Mosley are available when we pick at #21, we are going to draft one. Other than that, there really aren't too many prospects for immediate impact.

Rodgers is in his prime and will be for the next 5-7 years. We don't have time to develop players at both of those positions. I think it's time to open the check book and make a serious play at Jairus Byrd. Bills franchised him last year, so he's got a green light. Would he be expensive? Yes. Would he be worth the investment? Hell yes!

If we sign one guy, that's the one I want. His impact would be immediate and substantial. A guy like him makes the entire defense better. He's my signee. Who would you sign?

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I most certainly would, but if any other team is in the running for his services, the packers will not get him. And while I hope that trend changes, I just think Ted is too stubborn.

But you are right it is time for a couple free agents and maybe a trade to happen. Ignoring 2/3 avenues of acquiring talent is ridiculous. Before all the donkeys come out,NO I AM NOT SAYING BUY 5 OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE FREE AGENTS OR TRADE EVERY DRAFT PICK AWAY. This team has enough depth and talent that spending a bit of cash on some proven talent, will improve this team, and maybe give them enough pieces to make another legitimate run at the super bowl.

Heck hire a new DC and maybe an OC as well.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol yea right. TT is so cheap he wipes his butt with one ply of toilet paper. He will bring back raji for more money than hes worth thats about it...and use his draft and develop method. I dont see the Packers being major players in free agency at all. You could get two guy's for what Raji is asking but Raji is one of TT's picks so he will not let himself look bad and let Raji walk. If Raji is back but not Shields i will be livid.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I advocated for a UFA safety last off season - not the most expensive one - and as I remember it, there were several to choose from. I still think that would be a great idea; it won't be Byrd but it doesn't have to be to upgrade the D.

Last edited:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Like Jack said, there are options out there. Jenkins, Clemons, etc Definitely would have to be NT or S.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jairus Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety. No way in Green Bay.

If Malcolm Jenkins hits free agency, HE is my Jerry Hughes of this year.
HAVE to add the 1st round talent if you can get him.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol yea right. TT is so cheap he wipes his butt with one ply of toilet paper. He will bring back raji for more money than hes worth thats about it...and use his draft and develop method. I dont see the Packers being major players in free agency at all. You could get two guy's for what Raji is asking but Raji is one of TT's picks so he will not let himself look bad and let Raji walk. If Raji is back but not Shields i will be livid.
I disagree. If Raji wanted to cash in as a Packer, he should have done so 2 months ago when the offer was made. If anything, when they look at his actual production and realize that Boyd can do anything Raji has done the last 2 years, they'll let him go. If $8M wasn't enough then, it won't be now. Thompson isn't the idiot some of you like to think he is. If it's a choice between Shields or Raji, he'll go with Shields.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's a choice between Shields or Raji, he'll go with Shields.
I hope so.
But he really values HIS DRAFT PICKS.
He didn't mind letting Cullen Jenkins go because he didn't invest a precious draft pick on him. He loves his draft picks. It's hard for him to let them go, even Greg Jennings whom we all had thrown out last year. But Teddy tried to keep him.

We'll see if this element comes into play again regarding the underachieving Raji and the playmaker Shields.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully he can find a few good ones later in free agency when he doesn't have to overpay like with Woodson and Pickett. Good free agents the first week are always overpaid for and often don't work out.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Forget Malcom Jenkins, gimme a two year deal with Ryan Clark. I'll take the concussions and sickle cell to not have to teach him how to play.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget Malcom Jenkins, gimme a two year deal with Ryan Clark. I'll take the concussions and sickle cell to not have to teach him how to play.
Clark sucks.
Jenkins is way better, and younger, but his price tag will be way too high for us surely.
Don't call me Shirley.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Beason is one guy that will be available that we could use.
Malcon Jenkins, Ryan Clarke are also set to be UFA's. Any one of these guys would be a welcome addition.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Beason is one guy that will be available that we could use.
Malcon Jenkins, Ryan Clarke are also set to be UFA's. Any one of these guys would be a welcome addition.
We can use an undersized ROLB who has to rely on speed rush because he has no power game whatsoever? News to me. Last time I checked we had nothing but ROLBs on this roster, and that's why we can't play contain worth $o.02

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Clark sucks.
Jenkins is way better, and younger, but his price tag will be way too high for us surely.
Don't call me Shirley.
Clark is the guy who allows Polamalu be Polamalu by covering his back end and holding the D together, plus he already knows the system. The only thing to worry about is age/durability. It's a 2 year bandaid while he teaches some young kid all of his tricks.

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. If Raji wanted to cash in as a Packer, he should have done so 2 months ago when the offer was made. If anything, when they look at his actual production and realize that Boyd can do anything Raji has done the last 2 years, they'll let him go. If $8M wasn't enough then, it won't be now. Thompson isn't the idiot some of you like to think he is. If it's a choice between Shields or Raji, he'll go with Shields.

I hope you're right...

Then again, how many here predicted the giant deal for Hawk, or the big deal for Jones?

The Burnett deal looks terrible too now, but that's just hindsight. At the time most people (including me) thought it was a good move.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am 100% on board with Jairius Byrd. Even if he wants to be the highest paid safety. Safeties don't make as much as other positions, but this kind of an upgrade would improve us immensely.

So you figure $9.15M would do it, that would make him the highest paid. This is affordable. If we really did offer Raji $8M a year, this is barely a million over that, and you let Raji walk instead. Who would you rather have? It's a no-brainer to me.

I'm not sure that there's another team in the NFL that could stand to gain from Byrd as much as us. If you think the loss of Nick Collins is what killed the defense, well, here's your solution.

This is coming from a fan who has been loyal to draft and development for a long time. We don't need to do this every year, but it's time for another splash. This defense is desperately in need of a shot in the arm. This would be exactly that.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am 100% on board with Jairius Byrd. Even if he wants to be the highest paid safety. Safeties don't make as much as other positions, but this kind of an upgrade would improve us immensely.

So you figure $9.15M would do it, that would make him the highest paid. This is affordable. If we really did offer Raji $8M a year, this is barely a million over that, and you let Raji walk instead. Who would you rather have? It's a no-brainer to me.

I'm not sure that there's another team in the NFL that could stand to gain from Byrd as much as us. If you think the loss of Nick Collins is what killed the defense, well, here's your solution.

This is coming from a fan who has been loyal to draft and development for a long time. We don't need to do this every year, but it's time for another splash. This defense is desperately in need of a shot in the arm. This would be exactly that.
There you have it anti free agency folks, "we don't have to do this every year".
Safety is a BIG hole that needs filling, NOW, and draft and develop is not in the cards this year because there ain't much on the draft board.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hes cheap but overpays people?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Byrd has injury concerns already.
That + our Injury Track Record + his salary demands = No Way Jose

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There you have it anti free agency folks, "we don't have to do this every year".
Safety is a BIG hole that needs filling, NOW, and draft and develop is not in the cards this year because there ain't much on the draft board.

Agree 100%. I normally err toward the side of conservativism in free agency, and that would be my approach for the offense this year. Not on the D. Not this year.

We have enough "guys" on this defense. We don't need more, and we don't a flyer or two. We need another playmaker. It's why we're a good team right now and not a great team. We're just missing that other playmaker on defense.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Byrd has injury concerns already.
That + our Injury Track Record + his salary demands = No Way Jose

He's missed 5 games total in his entire 5 year career and just 3 in the last 4 years. I hardly think that qualifies him as injury prone.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's missed 5 games total in his entire 5 year career and just 3 in the last 4 years. I hardly think that qualifies him as injury prone.
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5307/jairus-byrd

Who told you that?
Bills FS Jairus Byrd was forced from Buffalo's Week 17 game against the Patriots with a right ankle injury, and will not return.

And so ends Byrd's injury-marred, possible final year in Buffalo. Limited to 11 games after missing the first five weeks of this season with plantar fasciitis, Byrd is highly unlikely to be franchise tagged for the second consecutive season.

Members online

Latest posts