Time to re-do playoff system?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Niners can win the division with a 7-9 record..

I think the NFL is going to look into something to add 2 more teams to the playoffs..

Would be a shame that a 7-9 team gets in but a 10-6 or 11-5 doesnt

GrnNGldGrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. A 7-9 team should not go over a 10-6 team. But this raises the issue of "We're the best team in the division, doesn't that count for anything?" I'm torn as to what's less controversial. Giving 2 more teams per conference, a chance in the playoffs, which starts this attitude of "Give everyone a chance" or Eliminate teams based on records, in which case, what's the point of the division? Maybe the NFC West should just pick up their game a little, and we wouldn't have to worry about it. Sorry, no hate to the NFC West but, C'MON MAN!

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. A 7-9 team should not go over a 10-6 team. But this raises the issue of "We're the best team in the division, doesn't that count for anything?" I'm torn as to what's less controversial. Giving 2 more teams per conference, a chance in the playoffs, which starts this attitude of "Give everyone a chance" or Eliminate teams based on records, in which case, what's the point of the division? Maybe the NFC West should just pick up their game a little, and we wouldn't have to worry about it. Sorry, no hate to the NFC West but, C'MON MAN!

So what are we saying, that the first time in 90 years, a less than 8-8 team makes the playoff, we start changing all the rules. Let us not jump to hasty conclusions. The system has worked out pretty well...so we get a bump in the road one year. Leave it alone for now. So an NFC West team makes the playoffs...how long do you think they will last...and even if they win the SB, at least it will become a trivia question. If it ain't broke ...don't fix it!

kali3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a below .500 team wins a division and the 4th seed in the playoffs you can have some strange things happen.

For example is if you had 2 division rivals battling for the division title (and the 3 seed) where the loser gets a wild card (the 5th seed) the losing team winning the wild card might have an easier game vs the below .500 division winner than the 3rd seed team who could face a good wild card team.

PackerFan87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the current rules should change.

...Unless that division is going to be crap for the next few years. :p

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not redo the playoff system. The system is perfect. Just because the collective NFC West is a POS doesn't mean we need to completely redo the system. Football is basically perfect with minor hiccups.

Side note: please vote no to the 18 game schedule... (will not make the NFL better)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do not redo the playoff system. The system is perfect. Just because the collective NFC West is a POS doesn't mean we need to completely redo the system. Football is basically perfect with minor hiccups.

Side note: please vote no to the 18 game schedule... (will not make the NFL better)

I support getting rid of 2 pre season games. Such a screw job that packer fans are stuck paying full price for games that are bogus. As a club season ticket holder I hate getting stuck forking out nearly $600 per preseason game.

The extra 2 games I could take it or leave it.

Latest posts