Time To Get A Grip On Reality

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one think it is time to get a grip on reality. I feel bad for Rodgers.

Do you realize the amount of times a QB has taken over a team after a HOF'er has left and failed?

Is there really this many people using one game against Dallas the reason why we havn't taken a step back here?

He came into a game where the other team completly did NOT prepare for him. Do you think any team plays hte Packers and thinks they will see Rodgers. Look at Rodgers 4th quarter against the Cowboys. They held him off the scoreboard except a FG. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but he came into a game where the other team didn't plan for him. That makes a huge difference. Otherwise, why have coaches scout other QB's.

Is it possible that Rodgers steps in and this team does BETTER? Yes. Anything is possible. Is it likely? Highly UNlikely. Your replacing a QB that had the 2nd best season out of any QB in the league. Do people actually believe that Rodgers is going to have that kind of season?

And our Defense is heavily overrated in my opinion. The defense did not win us as many games as you think. Take the Denver game for example, Packers take lead, Denver drives down and ties it up. Giants game! The defense couldn't get off the field. Our CB's are going downhill. WE ARE NOT THE GIANTS PEOPLE!

These theories that Rodgers is going to get us to the Super Bowl because he can just manage the game and not do anything to screw it up for our fantastic D is absurd. SERIOUSLY? Rodgers is going to have to go out there and flat out win some games for us like the Broncos game. He's not that kind of QB IMO. There is a reason why he dropped 21 spots in the draft.

Get a grip. Good luck Rodgers. You are going to need it with these insane expectations people have about our team. We were a 13-3 team in large part to Favre having arguably his best season (note this is a HOF career).

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do you realize the amount of times a QB has taken over a team after a HOF'er has left and failed?

Is there really this many people using one game against Dallas the reason why we havn't taken a step back here?

He came into a game where the other team completly did NOT prepare for him. Do you think any team plays hte Packers and thinks they will see Rodgers. Look at Rodgers 4th quarter against the Cowboys. They held him off the scoreboard except a FG. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but he came into a game where the other team didn't plan for him. That makes a huge difference. Otherwise, why have coaches scout other QB's.

Is it possible that Rodgers steps in and this team does BETTER? Yes. Anything is possible. Is it likely? Highly UNlikely. Your replacing a QB that had the 2nd best season out of any QB in the league. Do people actually believe that Rodgers is going to have that kind of season?

And our Defense is heavily overrated in my opinion. The defense did not win us as many games as you think. Take the Denver game for example, Packers take lead, Denver drives down and ties it up. Giants game! The defense couldn't get off the field. Our CB's are going downhill. WE ARE NOT THE GIANTS PEOPLE!

These theories that Rodgers is going to get us to the Super Bowl because he can just manage the game and not do anything to screw it up for our fantastic D is absurd. SERIOUSLY? Rodgers is going to have to go out there and flat out win some games for us like the Broncos game. He's not that kind of QB IMO. There is a reason why he dropped 21 spots in the draft.

Get a grip. Good luck Rodgers. You are going to need it with these insane expectations people have about our team. We were a 13-3 team in large part to Favre having arguably his best season (note this is a HOF career).

I think you typed packerforum instead of vikingforum.com, by accident.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did Dallas game plan for Rodgers to be in the game? No. Did GB game plan for Rodgers to be in the game? No also.

Will GB be better with Rodgers in 08 than with Brett? Probably not but I do think that they can be a good team, and a playoff team. I am going to have faith in AR until he proves otherwise.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Packone stated, You may be in the wrong forum. Green and gold aren't Dallass colors.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

he is not that kind of qb in your opinion!? how the balls do you know what kind of qb he is. because if you look at his college career... he was that kind of qb, and thats all you can base your opinion on.

what your doing is saying the exact opposite thing and reviling it as truth. when in fact it is just your best guess as to what might happen.

"you guys are stupid if you think we are gonna do good based on Aaron Rodgers one mediocre performance"
but
"you are smart because you think we are gonna be terrible based on Aaron Rodgers one mediocre performance.

you see none of us know what will happen next season. but being fans, we are seeing the good things about our team and players.

not throwing them under the bus before the season starts doesnt make us stupid and naive.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are probably the most complete team in the division. I certainly wouldn't expect 12 or 13 wins next year but the NFC North has just become the worse division in the NFL now.

The Packers have the talent to win it. Expecting a division title in a division where the QB's are Rex Grossman, Tavaris Jackson, and Jon Kitna is not crossing into fantasy land or whatever you want to call it. Packer fans have fair expectations and nobody knows how Rodgers will play. He has given the Packers enough to be optimistic though.

Just one year ago Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin were being ran out of town in New York and they won the Super Bowl. Anything is possible as long as Rodgers just bes Aaron Rodgers.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He came into a game where the other team completly did NOT prepare for him.

They must've forgotten that Rodgers has an ARM which enables him to THROW THE BALL.

Seriously, it's not just the Dallas game that gives us hope. Rodgers played very well in the preseason also. He actually looked kind of Favre-like out there at times. Very few Packer fans claim to be certain that Rodgers will play well in his first year as a starter, and most of us think he will not play as well as Favre did last year. But it's quite possible that he could be good enough to lead the Packers into the playoffs, and then anything can happen, as the Giants proved this year.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:roll:

Retirement really brings out the nutjobs.

nleidigh319

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this guy is right for some part atleast are defence wasnt clutch in games like denver and dallas did not prepare for them. we will have some problems with are team. we can help our selves out though. first we need to pick up free agents. im not saying they have to be big name players but more of role players that will sharpen up the unit as a total. as a precaution to our QB situation we should draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft and draft need positions that will make our team good. if we do this i expect somewhere around a 9-7 season to a 11-5 season. i think we will make the playoffs this season and possibly the division. im not thinking much more

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the "Dallas didn't prepare for Rodgers" argument. Favre was throwing wild that game, which was completely opposite of what he had done in the previous games in the season. When Rodgers got in, he ran the offense exactly how Favre had been running it prior to that game, short passes and letting the receivers get the extra yards. If anything, Rodgers should have been an easier target for Dallas' defense, seeing how he stays in the pocket much longer than Favre. He doesn't roam nearly as much and he's not going to throw deep down field.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the "Dallas didn't prepare for Rodgers" argument. Favre was throwing wild that game, which was completely opposite of what he had done in the previous games in the season. When Rodgers got in, he ran the offense exactly how Favre had been running it prior to that game, short passes and letting the receivers get the extra yards. If anything, Rodgers should have been an easier target for Dallas' defense, seeing how he stays in the pocket much longer than Favre. He doesn't roam nearly as much and he's not going to throw deep down field.

it seemed to me like Dallas was in the backfield most of the time Brett was in. i don't know what the hell happened but it seemed like Aaron had more time. maybe the O-line kicked it up a notch for the new guy? maybe when Aaron took off a few times for some nice gains it softened 'em up?

either way, i don't think anybody has higher expectations for Rodgers...than Rodgers.

OP
OP
R

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WHEN the heck did I call anyone "stupid and niave".

It is my opinion that this team wasn't as good as it's record. It is my opinion that our defense has huge weaknesses. Look at hte Giants game. AND this was in cold weather.

After the half.

Plays: 12 Possession: 7:04 - 70 Yard Drive - TD
Plays: 7 Possession: 2:48 - 57 Yard Drive - TD
Another Drive - Missed FG
We finally stop them
Anotehr Drive - Missed FG

That's facts. The drove at will on the second half. But that was probably some how Favre's fault. Our defense got ripped apart by Eli Manning. Al Harris and Charles Woodson are a year older and we're playing with a first time starter QB.

But of course questioning your teams abilities makes you a "Vikings" fan. Yet talking about how Favre is the reason we lost for 3-4 weeks after the INT is fine. That's pathetic. I'm not throwing Rodgers under the bus but I do think he is going to end up there because the expectations for next year are way out of reach IMO and he is going to be blamed. Give him some time.

And your quote that he IS that kind of QB? Based on WHAT? Two quarters? I saw him play in college, I thought both him and Alex Smith were nothing special. HE DROPPED 21 SPOTS IN THE DRAFT. So there are 20 teams that thought he WASN'T that kind of QB. But of course you have to be an idiot (along with 20 other teams) to think he isn't that kind of QB. He is a servicable QB IMO, that can strive in a Trent Dilfer type of role (but our defense is not the 2001 Ravens IMO). If the Packers start out slow, he will get blamed for not being Favre (which is no where close to), and he shouldn't.

This thread got out of hand. I only created it to counter the opinion that we're better off without Favre, IMO, we're not. I think Favre made a decent team into a great team and bailed out the team so many times. Rodgers isn't that QB IMO, he played TWO good quarters and people are acting like he's the next Favre. Poor kid, probably wishes he never got into that Dallas game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Red I see your point, but I am not sure where you got the idea that PAcker fans think Rodgers will get us to the SB..I for one would be SHOCKED if they did...If Brett was there still I would almost expect it..

Lot of fans are thinking and hoping that being behind Brett for 3 years helps Rodgers gain the experince he needed in learning the system..Now he needs GAME experince....And those fans are very confident that he is ready..

As we have seen, if a player is not ready, or is not able to help the team they are GONE, no matter who it is

As far as the Dallas didnt prepare for him, the only thing they had to change was his ability to run...D-line staying in their lanes or something like that...and they should have been able to do that with in the 1st 2 series...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Red I see your point, but I am not sure where you got the idea that PAcker fans think Rodgers will get us to the SB..

I don't think he'll GET us to the superbowl, I just don't think he will STOP us from getting there.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HE DROPPED 21 SPOTS IN THE DRAFT. So there are 20 teams that thought he WASN'T that kind of QB. But of course you have to be an idiot (along with 20 other teams) to think he isn't that kind of QB.

I agreed with some of what you've said until I got to this part. If any of teams #2-23 had picked a QB, your argument would make sense. Other than usually the first 2-3 picks, teams draft need over want. Even the so-called "draft experts" had said that whoever wasn't picked #1 between Smith and Rodgers would probably drop to mid-late first round because of what the team's needs were. If a team didn't need a QB and didn't want the cost of signing a first round QB, that doesn't say anything about or count against Rodgers' ability at the position.

I'm not saying he's the next GB golden boy. I'm excited to see what he can do. I just don't think his draft number has anything to do with his talent.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
RedSoxExcel said:
HE DROPPED 21 SPOTS IN THE DRAFT. So there are 20 teams that thought he WASN'T that kind of QB. But of course you have to be an idiot (along with 20 other teams) to think he isn't that kind of QB.

I agreed with some of what you've said until I got to this part. If any of teams #2-23 had picked a QB, your argument would make sense. Other than usually the first 2-3 picks, teams draft need over want. Even the so-called "draft experts" had said that whoever wasn't picked #1 between Smith and Rodgers would probably drop to mid-late first round because of what the team's needs were. If a team didn't need a QB and didn't want the cost of signing a first round QB, that doesn't say anything about or count against Rodgers' ability at the position.

I'm not saying he's the next GB golden boy. I'm excited to see what he can do. I just don't think his draft number has anything to do with his talent.

Where was Brett drafted again?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread got out of hand. I only created it to counter the opinion that we're better off without Favre, IMO, we're not.

who thinks that? is that a popular opinion?

Packer fans should be just as excited as they are nervous, but like i said before, i don't think anybody has higher expectations for Rodgers than Rodgers. thats the way it should be.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, the whole "Dallas wasn't prepared for Rodgers" argument is getting pretty old.

Does the fact that a young 3rd year QB who hadn't seen much meaningful playing time in the regular season and hadn't taken very many significant snaps since the last week of August unexpectedly came off the bench into the middle of a late November road game in a hostile environment with a playoff like atmosphere and pretty much singlehandedly got us back into and nearly won said game mean nothing?

Sure, Aaron may not have pulled any magic out of his hat like Favre did against Cincinnati in his first significant playing time, but I think to perform as well as he did against a quality team like Dallas speaks well for his overall development and general future as our starting QB.

Is anyone realistically expecting Aaron to come into next year and tear the NFL a new one? No, not really. Even our legendary HoF QB had a couple years of truly adjusting to the game before he became what he is today. That being said, there are definitely so high expectations Aaron will have to live up to, that won't be easy. However, he's got all the tools he needs to become a very good NFL QB and it's just a matter of seeing some meaningful playing time to really see what he can do with our offense. If his performance against Dallas was any indication, I like his chances of at least getting us to 10 wins next season.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you to the point. I don't know how the packers do practices with their QBs, a lot of teams the back up doesn't get too many reps after the season starts, so those reps that were Favres are now Aarons. There is no guarantee he will be great or bad.

Yes Dallas did not prepare for Him, and A-Rod likely had little practice that week so what? You don't know how A-Rod will do until you give him his chance, and he will get that chance. The Packers invested a 1st Round pick in him, they need to find out this year whether he is developing and worth keeping, if not then in 09 they need to figure things out, but realistically you probably should give A-Rod at least 2 seasons before calling that he sucks or can't play the position.

You may be right about the defense, but they did keep us in quite a few games, and forced a few turnovers at key times (Redskins at Lambeau anyone?) to break games open. Lets not forget Tom Brady was a 6th Rd Draft pick. There are no guarantees that a guy taken earlier in the draft will be better then someone taken later either. I do think we need to draft a guy to start grooming as a backup, but I doubt they find a guy that out does A-Rod. This is his team now, let's give him a chance before throwing in the towel on him.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Redsox on a lot of points. History has shown that very seldom has the next QB done well his forst year after a HOF'er comes in. It is exciting times, however I feel it needs to be tempered with knowing that Rogers will take some time to get his feet under him. I don't really expect any more than a less than mediocre first season from him. I hope for more.

It will definately be an interesting year.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A point that is all to often ignored in these threads is we now have $12M extra to spend to help make our team better!!! Rodgers + $12M to invest is not that bad in my view. I REALLY love Favre, but I just can't see us taking the huge step back that people may think. We have great receivers and if Grant can run the ball like the second half of last season I think we are pretty set on offense. Invest some of the money on D and maybe OL and I really like our chances of getting back to the playoffs where anything can happen.

Members online

Latest posts