Time to Drink the Kool-aid?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perfectionist Ferguson Has Team's Confidence

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

by Jeff Fedotin, Packers.com
posted 10/05/2005

During Monday Night Football, ABC's cameras focused on quarterback Brett Favre yelling at wide receiver Robert Ferguson.

While sideline episodes can make for juicy television, the mild-mannered quarterback simply explained to Ferguson what he should have done on that play.

"I wasn't really yelling at him," Favre said. "It was more encouragement."

A harsh personal critic, Ferguson does not need someone to chastise him. He accepted blame for an interception Favre threw during the Cleveland Browns game in Week Two.

"He's very, very accountable," head coach Mike Sherman said. "I've never heard him make excuses for anything."

Perhaps Ferguson should have fought off Gary Baxter, but the Browns cornerback made an excellent play, catching the ball at the highest point.

Ferguson also focused on that play instead of his four catches for 47 yards and one touchdown in that game.

"He's so ******* himself on what he didn't do," Sherman said.

Ferguson similarly acknowledged his fault when Panthers cornerback Ken Lucas jumped a route and stole the ball out of his hands during the second quarter of Monday's game. That play ended a Packers drive to the Panthers' 29-yard-line. Operating on a shortened field, the Panthers would take a 23-7 lead on a two-play, 32-yard drive.

"That changed the game," Ferguson said.

And that play led to the sideline chat where Favre tried to bolster Ferguson's mood. The 15-year-veteran knows he will have to rely on Ferguson, who has 12 catches for 143 yards and two touchdowns, during the final 12 weeks of the season.

"I've got confidence in Fergy," Favre said. "I don't know if there's a guy who works as hard as he does."

Ferguson trained harder than ever for the 2005 season. Lasik surgery improved his vision to 20-15. He upped his maximum bench press to 415 pounds and reduced his body fat to six percent.

It's that hard work combined with Ferguson's 6-1, 210 frame and athletic ability, which make him such a tantalizing prospect. Ferguson declared himself a No. 1 receiver during training camp, and his natural abilities led many say he could fill the void left by the season-ending knee injury to Javon Walker.

The coaching staff remains confident the five-year-veteran will fulfill his potential.

"As conscientious as he is and as prideful as he is," Sherman said. "I envision him becoming the receiver both he and I want him to become."

A year ago that vision seemed bleak. On Dec. 19, 2004, Fergsuon caught a 31-yard pass near midfield when Jacksonville Jaguars safety Donovin Darius clotheslined him with his forearm. The NFL fined Darius $75,000. Ferguson sustained head and neck injuries and was carted off the field and taken by ambulance to Bellin Hospital in Green Bay, Wis. The vicious tackle nearly paralyzed him, and he stayed in the hospital for three days.

Now he goes across the middle without fear.

"He's further ahead physically as far as playing through it than I thought he'd be," Sherman said. "He's coming off a very, very severe injury."

Having displayed a knack for overcoming adversity, Ferguson will bounce back from that play on Monday.

"Fergy will be better because of that," Sherman said.

Ferguson has put the interception behind him and turned his focus to returning to the form he showed before last year's injury.

"I'm over it," he said. "There's nothing wrong with my confidence."

=========================================

RAH RAH RAH - this is media hype straight from the Party Spokesman

All I wanna see is proof he can do the damn job. Just like Ahmad Carroll, there comes a time when you just have to fish or cut bait... and if we lose to the Saints :shock: Then Ferguson gets the bench... and that's the way it should be..... (from the IPB Sports Desk)

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"ABC's cameras focused on quarterback Brett Favre yelling at wide receiver Robert Ferguson."

... from JS

Favre said he was not chewing Ferguson out and was not ready to write him off.

I was just trying to tell him, next time the ball is in the air, it's yours, Favre said. Don't take second place any time. You take the ball, at worst pass interference, whatever. I said, I'm going to keep throwing it to you, so you can't get down, you can't let that play bother you, so when we get another chance you have to make it.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IB-
Please don't portray the article above as "media hype". Jeff F. is paid by the Packers.

The 'media' consists of independent businesses paying reporters who work for them. A story from Packers.com is a story generated by the PR department, and is not subject to the rules governing reporters.

One problem today is the public can't discern the difference between information providers. Jeff F. has a style like a reporter uses, but he isn't subject to finding out other sources who have differing opinions.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're attempting to draw a fine line here, with regards to MEDIA, versus WHATEVER.....

Bush has his White House Spokesperson
The Packers have Jeff Fedotin

I see no difference... it's a matter of "perspective"....
I certainly expect Jeff to toe the Corporate Line. And, I am entitled to my opinion.
You are entitled to yours... try and not limit my freedom of opinion, k?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
You are entitled to yours... try and not limit my freedom of opinion, k?

True that! However when you bold or increase text size or what not of certain portions of articles it can alter the readers perception of how important the writer intended that comment to be perceived by the reader.

You post good articles so its not a problem. I will allow you to have a 'hall pass' on it :p

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah - I was looking at that, and review my HTML coding - did not find where I had forced the [ b ] .... [/ b ] process for that section.... Curious myself why it was demanding to show up in BOLD text... it wasn't intentional, but I was leaving for work just as I posted that article....

Anywho.. if you see something in the source - let me know....

EDIT - I just went back and changed the FONT sizing - from LARGE=18, down to what I normally do at LARGE=15, instead..... seems to have been the reason somehow.... must be the coloring variation.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With regards to serveral (now) articles.... on Fergie....

All camps are chanting in unison - Fergie stays - Fergie stays...
I'm all for it - but we can nil afford any more penalties, or INT's
Robert F. simply needs to step up and take command of the play, that's all.
Pending he can do that - then all this nonsense will cease.

In all reality, it is the one thing, as an approach to playing the WR position that keeps everyone from seeing him as a Javon Walker type Receiver. And that's "fighting" for the ball, each and every time it comes your way - he has to act like it's his property and no one else has options to it. Letting it roll thru your arms and into the DB's hands... is not allowed. Letting the DB push you aside as the ball is coming down to where you are.. again, NOT ALLOWED.... I have every confidence that Fergie "knows" how to play the position... it's simply a change in atitude, or approach, from a specific standpoint.. like any endeavor... He's the one who should be positioning the DB where "Fergie thinks the DB should be allowed to stand" during the play... not the other way around. Put some muscle into it.

We'll see................

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
All I wanna see is proof he can do the damn job.

I agree. The article says the team has confidence in Fergy, but I don't yet.
I want to see him put up or shut up. I don't like it when players whine about wanting more chances, but then don't produce when they get the chance.

As a side note, I thought the stats below were kind of interesting.

Chatman so far has 10 catches for 155 yards, for a 15.50 yards per catch average and 2 Touchdowns as the 3rd receiver.

Ferguson so far has 12 catches for 143 yards, for a 11.91 yards per catch average and 2 Touchdowns.

Last year when Ferguson was the 3rd receiver, he only had 24 catches for 367 yards, for a 15.3 yards per catch average and 1 Touchdown for the entire season, though he missed the last couple of games with an injury.

Chatman seems to be producing more than Fergy with less playing time on the field.

Members online

Latest posts