Time for Favre to hang it up

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the first time, I have to come right out and say it: It is time for Favre to hang it up. It will be best for him to play out the season, because he is still our best QB, but then he needs to retire. This is the second game in a row that he has let the team down at the end because he avoids contact at all costs. Last week at Cincy he ended the game by throwing an underhand pass five yards beyond the line of scrimmage. This year he had a wide open field in front of him on fourth down and instead of running it he threw a wild pass into the end zone to a receiver who wasn't even a little bit open.

Enough is enough. And no, I'm not blaming this loss on Favre. There is plenty of blame to go around. But it's become clear that Brett Favre would rather forfeit the game than take a hit. Either that, or he's suffering from some sort of temporary insanity in clutch situations, which is just as bad. This started with the illegal pass against the Vikings in the playoff game last year. It's a far cry from the old days, like the final game at Milwaukee County Stadium, when Favre ran for a touchdown to beat the Falcons.

I'm sure I'll get ripped for being anti-Favre. But I think he's one of the greatest QB's ever. Now it's time to move on. He's embarrassing himself.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
For the first time, I have to come right out and say it: It is time for Favre to hang it up. It will be best for him to play out the season, because he is still our best QB, but then he needs to retire. This is the second game in a row that he has let the team down at the end because he avoids contact at all costs. Last week at Cincy he ended the game by throwing an underhand pass five yards beyond the line of scrimmage. This year he had a wide open field in front of him on fourth down and instead of running it he threw a wild pass into the end zone to a receiver who wasn't even a little bit open.

Enough is enough. And no, I'm not blaming this loss on Favre. There is plenty of blame to go around. But it's become clear that Brett Favre would rather forfeit the game than take a hit. Either that, or he's suffering from some sort of temporary insanity in clutch situations, which is just as bad. This started with the illegal pass against the Vikings in the playoff game last year. It's a far cry from the old days, like the final game at Milwaukee County Stadium, when Favre ran for a touchdown to beat the Falcons.

I'm sure I'll get ripped for being anti-Favre. But I think he's one of the greatest QB's ever. Now it's time to move on. He's embarrassing himself.

You will get ripped for daring to see the truth. But not by me.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he needs a coach who knows how to handle him and how to use him. He needs a coach with a bigger than life personality who he fears and respects and Shermy aint it.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I'm not so sure he could have gotten the first down. There was a Steeler engaged slightly upfield right in front of him that might have been able to make the play. None the less, the pass was probably the worse option even though he threw it to the wrong side of the receiver.
Hammer

Reaction score
Greg, you have to realize he is 36. His body can't take the punishment like it used to. He is as smart as ever. But you know Brett. He has always had the big play mentality. It works both ways, we get big plays at times, and we suffer at times. I wouldn't want Brett to change one bit, and the fact remains, he is the BEST player the Pack have at the moment. Come next year, you will need a good QB to throw the ball. Otherwise you are like the Lions, decent WR's, crap QB. Granted he can't do what he used to, but he can still throw it and make the read and proper adjustments, and if that is all we ask Brett to do, he can still be effective for a couple of more years, IMO.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Dont blame it on Favre. He does not have the team he played with like he used to. He is playing his best but his receivers do not connect. They expect him to carry the slack. This is supposed to be a team effort is it not?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg raises some points. First, I'M NOT BLAMING THE LOSS ON BRETT!!! However, Greg's comment on Brett's (at times) haphazard play since MN playoff isn't entirely untrue, and Brett's accuracy was way off today.

With that said, Brett played about as well as he has in his career in the Carolina-MN stretch this year.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't kid yourself. brett IS THE ONLY REASON that the packers can win each week. he still has more than enough in the tank to play at a high level for a few more years. watch next year when he comes back and turns the team around.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
don't kid yourself. brett IS THE ONLY REASON that the packers can win each week. he still has more than enough in the tank to play at a high level for a few more years. watch next year when he comes back and turns the team around.

IMHO You are right, he has no one to throw the ball safelly but Chatman, it is incredible that he has made some of the hardest receptions and is not lossing the ball, even Driver gave an interception today HE GOT THE BALL FROM BRETT DIRECTLY IN HIS HANDS and he managed to give it to the Steelers, he has no one to run consistently the ball, maybe we will get it with Gado, Bubba drops passes, the O line screws up every 2 or 3 downs, Flanagan delivers a ball two yards away from Favre....etc, etc, etc.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Greg C. said:

The only one that is embarrassing themselves is you. There is not one QB in this leauge that could have givin us a winning season up to this point with all the injuries, new players etc. Possibility for the first losing season and it is "hang em up". News Flash " you will be rethinking this statement by this time next year".

Hey Phil, we still have two games comming up against you. That statement may come back to haunt you.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixone: You say that Brett is THE ONLY REASON that the Packers can win each week. Among some fans, this is like some sort of mantra, repeated over and over as if that will make it true. But it's obviously not true because every year there are teams worse than the Packers with QB's worse than Favre that still manage to win some games.

Let's face it: As great as Favre has been, he has never been a great comeback QB. He's had a bunch of comebacks because he's played a lot of years for some pretty good teams, but other teams know that if they can prevent the big play, sooner or later Favre will usually screw up. There are those fans who will always blame it on his teammates, even when Favre does something ridiculous, as we've seen these past two weeks. But there is a pattern here, and it's not a good one for Favre.

I hope it doesn't get to the point where someone on the team ends up stating the obvious, e.g., "Maybe it wasn't such a good idea for Brett to throw that ball when he was five yards beyond the line of scrimmage." I don't want to see that kind of ugliness. This is already beginning to look like the last days of Dan Marino.

And I'm not bailing on Favre just because the team is losing. They've lost seven games, and there were two losses where Favre played great (Carolina and Minnesota). Unfortunately, that leaves five other losses where he was very much a part of the problem. That's too many.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Philtration said:
Greg C. said:

The only one that is embarrassing themselves is you. There is not one QB in this leauge that could have givin us a winning season up to this point with all the injuries, new players etc. Possibility for the first losing season and it is "hang em up". News Flash " you will be rethinking this statement by this time next year".

Hey Phil, we still have two games comming up against you. That statement may come back to haunt you.

I never said that Favre is the reason they are 1-7. They are 1-7 because Favre is the only real player on the team and he will be gone after this season. It is only going to get worse from here.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What evidence other than your perceived unwillingness of #4 to run out of the pocket for a first down has made him unworthy to be a Packer??

What QB on the roster can perform the job better and why???

What did that #4 guy used to do that he cannot now??

What is the advantage of his dismissal from the team??

Other than Henderson, Harris, Tauscher, and possibly Clifton, who else on the Packers is one of the top 10 at his position?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calicheez...

You are right that Brett is still the Packer's best shot, but Greg is right that he has not played well for 2 straight games. He missed a lot of open wrs all game (e.g. Bubba on 1st and goal, which was right b4 the infamous consecutive false starts) although the pick was all on Driver.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this thread is retarded. because favre doesnt like to get hit, he should throw in the towel and let guys like joey harrington stick around and compete in the biggest sport in the country? Because arguably the best QB to play the game decides to throw the ball instead of pulling a vick, he should retire? he had 4,000 yards and 30 Tds last year..but he should retire. Wow. Hey greg....shut up.

G

Greg C. said:
For the first time, I have to come right out and say it: It is time for Favre to hang it up. It will be best for him to play out the season, because he is still our best QB, but then he needs to retire.

This post makes me sick.

Amazing how there are people out there who have it in there big heads that they just "know" what is best for Brett and what he "needs" to do. :roll:

Do you work for the Packers?
Are you a member of the Favre family?

...no?

Then what makes you such an expert on Brett and what he "needs" to do?

Boy, some people really have no clue what the word RESPECT means!

Brett Favre has EARNED the right to decided, along with the Packers, when the best time to retire is.

Im sorry, but this crap ****** me off.

Favre is the MAN. And he deserves better from Packer fans.

Reaction score
Ok now I think everyone is getting on Greg a little too much. What Greg said isn't right or wrong, but simply his opinion. He is allowed to express it here just like you Trom, and everyone of us here. But I will agree with Greg on one thing.... I want to see Brett go out on top. Not stay for a few years and see a shell of the old Brett, the Brett I grew up watching and rooting for. I believe I am correct in saying none of us want that to happen. If it means that next year Brett will not be able to do things like he has in years past, then YES Brett does need to retire. But IMO, if Brett only has to do limited things and not win games by himself, he can stick around for another season. This is a valid thread by Greg. I just hope Brett can make us forget the thought that he should retire soon.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly A.D.P. ppl get too bent out of shape about Brett...no, Greg is not a member of Brett's family (I assume) but neither is anyone else on this board, thus, should not be so offended by this topic.

Bottom line is even though he has depleted talent, it appears Brett's skills are declining. Now he's still a top 10 qb, but Brett also has said that if he can't play to his standards, he'd hang it up...so that's sort of what Greg is getting at...is Brett still playing to Brett's standards?

Reaction score
Muscy, I think the question is "Do Brett's standards for himself change given the rash of injureis and lack of RB and WR?"

I believe Brett expects the same of himself regardless of who is out their, and that might be an indicaiton of wheter Brett would believe his play has slipped or not.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A.D.P... I think it would not depend on the talent, and my gut rxn is that Brett doesn't think his play has slipped.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Brett avoiding contact at all costs as Greg suggests.
I still see Brett doing the things he has always done, running, throwing blocks and doing whatever it takes to win.
What he doesn't have is 10 other offensive players who are all on the same page.
Some of his surrounding cast don't have the experience to get the job done and some just don't have their heads in the game and that is a coaching problem not a failure of Brett Favre.
Brett is the ONLY chance the Packers have to win and a better QB than 20 other teams can put on the field.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely agree with you yooperfan. Brett is Brett. When we were coming home from watching the game at our local watering hole last night, my husband made the statement that Brett would be blamed for losing yesterday's game, and it looks as if some people are starting to do that. Brett needs some help. Football is supposed to be a team sport, and it looks as if no one on the offensive line is giving Brett any support. By the way, our defense didn't play too badly the second half. I also wonder how many other teams would lose by the slim margins the Pack is losing by--if they didn't have their top players playing. I am not saying that it is a good thing to lose, I am just saying that the Pack is holding the other teams to not making way too many points.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So where is the evidence?? Please support your premise.

NUMBERS
Brett Favre is on track in 2005 for 4000 yards and 30 TD's both are above his career average. (this would be his 5th 4K yd season; Marino had 6)

His QB rating this season prior to the Steeler game was exactly the same as 2002 when he was MVP runner up.

ACCURACY
His completion percentage this season is the highest of his career. He is on track for the highest # of completions in a year for his career.

ARM STRENGTH
He is on track for the second highest total of pass plays over 20 yards. He is on track for 5th highest total pass plays over 40 yards. Both above his career average.

HIS STATISTICS ARE NOT IN DECLINE !!!

If you hate Brett Favre please state a valid reason.

sunshine

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

thanks for giving me a HUGE laugh this morning, greg. your comments are hysterically inept at making any point except that you CLEARLY don't know much about brett favre.

1. you say he's afraid to get hit.
are you KIDDING me??? he's the IRONMAN of the freakin NFL, man!

2. he's embarrassing himself.
i think the only person who should be embarrassed is YOU, greg. he is holding this team of rookies, 4th stringers, & injured 1st stringers together with blood, sweat, tears, & maybe just a little duct tape too!!

trust me, these comments will come back to bite you in the butt!! remember the saints game?????? i wonder what you thought about old, embarrassing, fearful brett after that game?!?!?
thanks again for the laugh, buddy.

Members online

Latest posts