Tim Tebow

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are your honest unbiased thoughts on him? Being an LSU Tiger fan, I am hard coded to hate him since hes a former Gator.

However, this whole Tebow-mania thing going on right now in the NFL is both weird and confusing to me. Im not sure if I should root for him to succeed or boo him off the field for how he plays QB. A lot of the NFL pundits around the country hate the guy and they see him as an embarrassment to both the Broncos and the league...for whatever reason.

So the latter part above makes me want to see him do well. But he is what he is. Hes not your traditional NFL QB. Hes more like a Fullback playing QB. Hes not pretty doing it and at times, its painful as hell to watch. But he does win and his teammates love him.

Tebow may also be the most popular player in the NFL......and I have no idea why or how that came about. He *IS* a genuinely great guy and hes one of those players that is hard not to root for I guess.

With that said - John Elway and that Broncos organization has some decisions to make. Do they really want to invest their future in Tebow and become a full blown spread/option offensive team? Is there a future there with Tebow being your QB going forward? What is realistic? What isnt? Can Tebow take Denver to the playoffs and win games once in the playoffs? I dunno about that.....

What are some of your thoughts on this whole ordeal?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm not a Tebow fan, nor a hater. But I've read a lot on him. (Who hasn't with the media fest he's getting?) He seems to have a personality that really reaches out to the fans. When they are around, he is in the habit of telling his "handlers" to back off and he goes to the fans and does things with them. From what I read, he goes out of his way to be around the people. One article I read said that the handlers tried to keep him from throwing the ball to some kids and he did it anyway. Then some of the Dads wanted in on the action and the handlers, again, refused, but Tebow said; "No, it's alright" and he started to throw to the Dads. The suits tried to stop him from signing too many autographs and he kept going. It's stuff like that which endear him to the fans. And like Reggie was, he seems to be a young preacher with character. Although Reggie was actually ordained. I think people are looking for "role models" for their kids.

As a QB, I think he'll have a relatively short shelf life unless he makes some major changes to his mechanics and style. He has the smarts, no doubt. But he's got to learn to be a 3, 5, 7 drop back passer. This will require some overhauls to his mechanics. Every play can't be the option like in college because pro teams will start ganging up on it.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TEBOW TIME!

I love it and I've jumped on the bandwagon, he has been slaughtered by analysts about his mechanics and decision making blah blah blah.

But, hes winning games! and its exciting to watch, I can't help but get roped into all the hype :p

I don't know where he's going to go after the season, I personally can't see the broncos embracing his style of QB but if he can work over the off season and maybe just work at the QB position, some team might be very lucky and have him as their QB.

We all know that you tend to find that the players that weren't given a chance are the greats.

Aaron Rodgers...

..Tom Brady

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching that game last night, it really made me stop and think how lucky we are to have a team like the Packers that we follow. All of the mistakes, blunders and miscues made that game last night worth turning off - which I did in the 3rd quarter but was tempted to at halftime. Just boring and frankly, just bad football. Makes my dislike for Rex Ryan grow even larger, as he is ultimately responsible for that team, but yet he sits up there with that attitude and tells us how good they are. He needs to take more of a Dikta or Jim Mora approach. When you suck, you suck and it starts at the top.

The NY Jets...stick a fork in them. They are officially done.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
After watching that game last night, it really made me stop and think how lucky we are to have a team like the Packers that we follow. All of the mistakes, blunders and miscues made that game last night worth turning off - which I did in the 3rd quarter but was tempted to at halftime. Just boring and frankly, just bad football. Makes my dislike for Rex Ryan grow even larger, as he is ultimately responsible for that team, but yet he sits up there with that attitude and tells us how good they are. He needs to take more of a Dikta or Jim Mora approach. When you suck, you suck and it starts at the top.

Ryan makes a better coordinator than a head coach, in my opinion.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I for the same reason don't like him, die hard Bama fan since birth, and will always hate Florida. But I can't be fair to that, cause I hated Cam Newton going into the season since he played for Auburn, and overtime I've grown a good respect for that kid, and I want him to succeed after he's proven how talented he is. Tebow on the other hand....It's complicated. I don't ever see him being an NFL quarterback.

I don't think it's really that why people hate him though, it's that he's all in the media, he wins one damn game, and they act like he is the MVP. Of all the rookie quarterbacks right now, Tebow gets the entire spot light. They don't praise Cam Newton that much (guess cause his team is losing), they don't praise Andy Dalton that much either whom is a proven winner playing in a tough division.

I think his fans should enjoy it while it last though, cause after playing god awful last night, they still won, but he's playing god awful every game. When they win, no one looks at key points like the Sanchez interception that was returned for 6, or back in Miami, the defense got turnovers, it's all Tebow Tebow Tebow is the only reason they won them that games. Maybe that's why the Panthers lose so much even though Cam Newton is everything they wish Tebow was. Seriously, the media this kid gets is unbelievable. Andy Dalton throws a few picks, shame on him, they blame it on the loss to the Steelers, but oh god if Tebow don't complete 50% of his passes, he is the ONLY reason they are winning! Of course nothing is his fault like falling behind so bad in the Miami game, while they throw every other quarterback under the bus for mistakes, not Tebow though.

Enjoy it now while you can, because eventually down the line he's not going to be able to run, he's going to have to throw, which is something he can't do with his strange throwing motion and very very poor accuracy (He was throwing to Revis! What other QB in the league is that risky!?). So far he's played 1 great team that slaughtered them, and a bunch of crappy defenses. Just wait till he plays Chicago, and I know New England isn't much, but I see them really having a day with him.

Just watching the guy last night, he had all the time in the world behind that O-Line protecting him, and he couldn't hit a straight slant or screen to save his life. He still plays like Vick and Vince Young, by snapping the ball with 2 or 3 guys wide open and deciding to run with it. Just enjoy it while it lasts, cause eventually another good defense like the Lions is going to stop him from running and force him to pass, then we'll all be hearing how he just had a bad game, and is still a playoff quarterback.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score

Rex Ryan is a joke. He runs the ball on 3rd and 20 *****. That shows he much he knows his quarterback sucks and can't throw the ball.

I watched most of the game, but Sanchez and the Jets are nothing more than a disappointment, always will be. All talk and no walk.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've only seen highlights of him playing, and from what I heard seems he likes to run the ball a lot.I do agree media gives him the lime light maybe Elway pays them to do so,just sounds like he will be aq bust from what all of you have seen of him.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I think it's just plain lucky they threw him in when they played a slew of offensively challenged football teams. When they play a real team he will be crushed. If I remember correctly, he has not completed 50% of his passes yet this season.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a horrible quarterback, but I've picked the broncos as upsets in my confidence pool 3 weeks now and will continue to do so until they lose. so, ALL ABOARD THE TEBOW TRAIN.

TheDreamDoctor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This "he is winning games" excuse is used way too much! That's the only argument people have to say that he is good. What a weak point it is, this is a team sport. If not for his defense being able to hold him within one score ( defense nearly scored more then the offense...) he would have never stood a chance and come a time where they play a team that can take a lead over 14 points, he won't stand a chance.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the field: I'm going to echo some of the above statements and also chime in that it's too early to judge Timmy Tbag until they play against a team with a better winning record again.
I dunno why everyone is going nuts over this guy, who they all act like is the greatest thing since sliced bread, when the Broncs beat mediocre teams.
Even though he only took one snap we saw how he did against the Packers D. He failed.
So let's see what he can do against a team with a much better record and then go nuts for him.

Off the field: IMO religion has caused more harm than good. So I can't stand missionaries. Those christians who go into a community and convert the population to see things only from their viewpoint which they shove down the people's throats because they think they are so high and mighty and right with they're god which is the only one according to them.
And Tbag's parents do this. They are missionaries which Tbag is a part of. Even to the point of where Tbag took part in assisting with Male Genital Mutilation aka circumcision.
We are all going nuts over a coach over in Pennsylvania allegedly touching young boys.
But there should also be a huge outcry over a painful procedure done to baby boys where they do not have any say in the matter over something that really doesn't have to be done.
My feelings on Tbag and his religious crud started when it pushed my buttons when I saw the bible verses on Tbag's eye black. Thank god (Heh!) he can't do that in the NFL.
I'm OK with religion and christianity in general as long as it's kept to itself without trying to manipulate or influence or hurt anyone else. Which rarely happens.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I thought religious and political discussions were off-limits? As far as "religion and Christianity" being kept to itself, that sort of defeats the purpose; now doesn't it? Truth is, it doesn't sound like you are as OK with it as you claim. It is clearly a "hot button" issue for you, and for many others, which is why I understood that the forum had the rules regarding politics and religion.
If you want the religious people to keep their perspective to themselves, you might consider doing the same regarding your perspective.
Just saying.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Like many of you, I just can’t see how Tebow can survive long-term as an NFL QB. To win it all a team has to win at least three consecutive playoff games against the best teams that season. It’s difficult for me to imagine Tebow being able to do that unless Denver develops a 2000 Ravens-like D.

Good post, neilfii. IMO Forget Favre’s post is an example of why Tebow is such a lightening rod. Unfortunately it is fashionable to bash Christianity in some circles nowadays. And Tebow wears his religion on his sleeve. BTW, once again IMO juvenile name-calling says more about the name-caller than the intended target.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
On the field: I'm going to echo some of the above statements and also chime in that it's too early to judge Timmy Tbag until they play against a team with a better winning record again.
I dunno why everyone is going nuts over this guy, who they all act like is the greatest thing since sliced bread, when the Broncs beat mediocre teams.
Even though he only took one snap we saw how he did against the Packers D. He failed.
So let's see what he can do against a team with a much better record and then go nuts for him.

Off the field: IMO religion has caused more harm than good. So I can't stand missionaries. Those christians who go into a community and convert the population to see things only from their viewpoint which they shove down the people's throats because they think they are so high and mighty and right with they're god which is the only one according to them.
And Tbag's parents do this. They are missionaries which Tbag is a part of. Even to the point of where Tbag took part in assisting with Male Genital Mutilation aka circumcision.
We are all going nuts over a coach over in Pennsylvania allegedly touching young boys.
But there should also be a huge outcry over a painful procedure done to baby boys where they do not have any say in the matter over something that really doesn't have to be done.
My feelings on Tbag and his religious crud started when it pushed my buttons when I saw the bible verses on Tbag's eye black. Thank god (Heh!) he can't do that in the NFL.
I'm OK with religion and christianity in general as long as it's kept to itself without trying to manipulate or influence or hurt anyone else. Which rarely happens.

Yep the Religion is another thing.
I'm not a religion person at all, but football, I think has no room for it. Yet you can't say a bad thing about the kid without being attacked over religion (has happened to me MANY times) Just like the fact, they can insult every religion all day long, but you can't say a word about theirs.

It's OK being religious and playing football, many people thank god everyday, but Tebow has to throw it everyone's faces. You know, the whole "Tebowing" prayer after scoring a touchdown, putting bible verses on your face paint, praying on the field, takes a toll on you. The Lions couldn't even make fun of it without getting religious flak from everywhere.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Well, until he can throw the ball downfield to himself I am not jumping on the "Tim Tebow is a Geat QB" bandwagon.

He was responsible for 75% of all yards last night. 54% of all rushing yards.

I would say his projected lifespan in the NFL is currently about 24 games.

NACHOMAN

Sailing the seas of cheese
Reaction score
My wife text me at school last night as she was watching the Jets-Broncos game "it is so good to support a team that plays excellent football, these guys are like clowns on a slip & slide".
Tim Tebow is a top notch character guy but I'm not sure he will ever make it to Kurt Warner status. I like to see a quarterback throw the ball and a good run once and a while. Long distance running sure worked for him last night though. And how could the Jets not stop that drive , it was blatantly obvious he was gonna do it again. Matthews would of crushed him like a grape.

NACHOMAN

Sailing the seas of cheese
Reaction score
Yep the Religion is another thing.
I'm not a religion person at all, but football, I think has no room for it. Yet you can't say a bad thing about the kid without being attacked over religion (has happened to me MANY times) Just like the fact, they can insult every religion all day long, but you can't say a word about theirs.

It's OK being religious and playing football, many people thank god everyday, but Tebow has to throw it everyone's faces. You know, the whole "Tebowing" prayer after scoring a touchdown, putting bible verses on your face paint, praying on the field, takes a toll on you. The Lions couldn't even make fun of it without getting religious flak from everywhere.
To bad he can't get some pointers from Reggie White. Im a Christian myself but I know what your saying. I call it oober Christian. We have a Turkey Bowl at church every Thanksgiving morning and I have never seen anyone pray in the endzone. And God said " let there be football"

RustyShackleford

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He gets his *** kicked when they play good defenses, such as Detroit.

I think of it a little differently. I think he gets his *** kicked when they play good offenses. His style and ability is probably good for 10-20 points per game, regardless of who he is playing. The issue for the Broncos is what happens when a team can put up 20-30 points against them. Almost no way Tebow can win that kind of game. Seriously, if Sanchez wasn't so terrible, the Broncos would have lost by 3 scores last night. I can see them losing big to the Charges next week.

I think the team management really has a big problem on their hands. Tebow will get them enough wins that it will be really hard to get rid of him (especially considering his fan support), but Elway & co. have to know that there's no way they can make it through a playoff round with that kind of offense.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rarely do I hate on individual players. If I do it's because they played dirty and hurt one of fav players. I save my hating for entire teams... like the Raiders and the Vikings.

I usually only wish for good things to happen to young players, especially QBs. Tebow included. But I don't see a long future for him in the NFL. And I too wish he'd put his faith in his back pocket during game time.

Members online

Latest posts