Thoughts on Randall Cobb?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have yet to see him explode or match up his big opening night.
But still, I am impressed by what I see of him and I always feel a sense of relief seeing that he is the return man.
And you gotta dig that attempted reverse/handoff/Cobb throws thingy they attempted.
I've rarely seen the Pack do that and I love it when they do gutsy crazy plays like that.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of my bold predictions here before the season was that Cobb would THROW a TD this season.. the cats out of the bag now.. grrrr

Still a rookie.. he's gonna be a good player, just needs work on his concentration.. he's fumbled a few times and dropped a handful of passes, 2 of them being easy TDs

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my bold predictions here before the season was that Cobb would THROW a TD this season.. the cats out of the bag now.. grrrr

Still a rookie.. he's gonna be a keeper, just needs work on his concentration.. he's fumbled a few times and dropped a handful of passes, 2 of them being easy TDs
Really?
What does he have on his resume' that tipped you off?
Or was it just Packers fan intuition?

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is one of those players, almost like Favre, where you are cheering because of a great play he makes one minute, then the next minute you are standing there looking dumb founded and saying "What the hell were you thinking?!".

He drops a lot of EASY passes, and has muffed a punt or two, but on the other hand he really gives us some speed and a special teams presence.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Cobb, he has had a couple of return TD's but most importantly he's been getting us into better field position alot, even if its only by an extra 10 yards or so.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Really wished Jennings would have caught Cobb's ball. Also looked like Rodgers can block pretty well for a QB.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
We met him the day after the opener at Lambeau. I said to him, wow, to Lambeau Leaps in your first game and he just gave this sheepish humble smile and said "yes sir, it was pretty special". I really like this kid, I think he's going to be our new Driver, but I hate being called "Sir".

Marem19

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love the dudes speed his hands need some work but i see him as a real threat. I would like to see him used in screens and end arounds to get him in the open field where he can do some damage

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I told my brother yesterday that he reminds me of Percy Harvin. He has a lot of work to do to get to Harvin's level but I think he will do it. Same type of player. Fast. Very stout; almost has the build of a RB like Ahmad Bradshaw. I think he could have success running the ball. Playmaker with the ball in his hands. Very exciting possibilities for the kid.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think his opening game speaks for itself when it comes to how talented this guy is and can be. His patience and vision when it comes to returning kicks/punts is hard to find especially in a rookie. I say give him a couple years with our WR group and watch this guy explode.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I'm betting that McCarthy told Cobb on that last Giants kickoff if it was in the end zone, he was NOT to run it back. When it only went about two yards deep and he did NOT run it back, I was greatly surprised.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Larrivee said on the radio this morning that on the last KO Cobb was told to down it in the EZ - 'We need the seconds more than we need the extra yards'.

One of the areas where stats are helpful is to clarify perceptions of fans. The jsonline website keeps track of passes targeted to receivers and their number of catches each game. Of course the difference between the two isn't the number of drops by the receiver because all of the passes aren't catchable. It does IMO give you an idea of how well the receiver is taking advantage of his opportunities. A fantasy football site, fftoday.com also keeps track of this and unlike jsonline they have cumulative totals for the season. I checked a few games and the stats between the two sites look similar. Anyway, guess which Packers WR has the highest percentage of catches per targeted pass. Well, since this thread is on Cobb you probably got it. Here are the percentages so far this season (I did the math) :

Cobb 77.3%
Nelson 76.2%
Jones 70.6%
Driver 69.2%
Jennings 67.7%

I'm not saying Cobb has the fewest drops but IMO some fans are exaggerating the number of drops he has this season.

According to profootball foucus, of the 55 WRs with the most catches in 2010, Jordy was 7th worst dropping 11 of 77 catchable balls. (No other Packers WR appears in the top or bottom 15 in drop percentage for 2010.) I bring this up to make the point that it's a problem that is pretty easily fixed if the player has the dedication to do so. I don't think Cobb is that bad regarding drops but with experience I do expect him to improve in that area as well as knowing the O better and being smarter on returns. BTW, the highlight of his first TD catch reminds me that he actually ran the wrong route on that play. Check out Rodgers' smile afterwards - I'm sure he's smiling because they scored but I think there's a little extra smile because they scored even with Cobb running the wrong route.

As we all know, Cobb is the best returner the Packers have had in a long time. He currently has 28 KORs for an average of 27.6 yards. That puts him at 19th in the league, but the list includes 5 players with 3 or fewer KORs. He has returned 22 punts for an average of 14.2 yards. That puts him at 14th but again the list includes 5 players with 2 or fewer PRs.

I'm very excited about the potential of Randall Cobb and look forward to the debate about whether or not the Packers should risk him at returner because he's so valuable as a WR.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
He's my favorite rookie. I think he's being trained to eventually take Driver's spot as a Number 2 option WR in our prolific passing offense.

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
He STARTED QB midway through his Junior YEar and Kentucky Ran the Wild COBB his senior. ONe of the very few players to ever Rush, Pass, Catch, Return a Td all in the same game. It was a great game to watch. He is amazing to watch when he gets the ball in his hands. And although he is not the most Accurate QB u will ever see he is one of the most Athletic. Cobb is going to be in GB a long time. And will Def be very loved and loving. He is a great Guy, Met him at a College game and hes just a great guy.

Watch this video. Amazing PLays.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Glad jsonline cleared up why he didn't run it. Now teams have to prepare for Packers wildcat. Lol

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey don't get me wrong, Randall Cobb is VERY exciting to watch and I am glad he is on our team. I know that in the future he will be just as beast as Jennings or Driver. I am sure it is just the rookie shakes getting to him here and there this season.

As far as Randall becoming the #2 (or 3) receiving option after Driver retires, I totally agree. I just hope that by that time we will have a proper jersey # to give him. Something in the 80's as a WR should have. Perhaps he can carry the torch with #80?

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
Hey don't get me wrong, Randall Cobb is VERY exciting to watch and I am glad he is on our team. I know that in the future he will be just as beast as Jennings or Driver. I am sure it is just the rookie shakes getting to him here and there this season.

As far as Randall becoming the #2 (or 3) receiving option after Driver retires, I totally agree. I just hope that by that time we will have a proper jersey # to give him. Something in the 80's as a WR should have. Perhaps he can carry the torch with #80?

I spoke with Cobb at a Kentucky Game and said he wore 18 in honor of a family member that was killed on her 18th birthday party.

Members online

Latest posts