Thompsons 2012 draft was better than people say

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Why in the world would you bring up Raji as a positive for Thompson's defensive drafting acumen? Raji has been one of the more disappointing top-10 draft picks in recent memory.
I think we are going to see a resurgence of Raji this year. He was dominant in the 2010 season and instrumental in our Superbowl run. That alone makes him a success. After that we had so many line issues that he was playing almost every snap. Hard to do when your a two gapper. After that they moved him out of Nose Guard. Didn't do well. Now he's back in his natural position.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we are going to see a resurgence of Raji this year. He was dominant in the 2010 season and instrumental in our Superbowl run. That alone makes him a success. After that we had so many line issues that he was playing almost every snap. Hard to do when your a two gapper. After that they moved him out of Nose Guard. Didn't do well. Now he's back in his natural position.

Raji was good rushing the passer in 2010 but hardly dominant vs. the run. He played terrible at the nose in 2011 so just moving back to NT doesn't mean he'll have a great season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like a short memory

A short memory is taking into account everything he's done since the playoffs four years ago? Seriously, aside from being terrible in 2011 (playing NT btw), terrible in 2013 and decent in 2012, how is Raji a positive draft pick at #9 overall?

Just look at the contract he's playing under right now and ask yourself if a succesful #9 overall pic, who is only 28, would be playing under a one-year $4m contract with only $500,000 guaranteed? His contract alone speaks to his success.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji was critical in winning the Superbowl. No Raji no Superbowl. That makes it a great pick.

I would agree if he was the sole reason we won the Super Bowl. He was VERY good during the playoffs that year but I don't think many would agree that the Packers would not have won without him. However, history has shown that the Packers dline isn't very good with him as the centerpiece.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was VERY good during the playoffs that year but I don't think many would agree that the Packers would not have won without him.
While I generally agree with your statement, I'm also 95% confident that no other NT would have had enough athletic ability to drop into coverage as Raji did, pick off the pass, and run it in for the win against the Bears. We wouldn't have even made the Super Bowl without that one play. His performance in general was pretty good, and like everybody else on the team, contributed in a positive way towards that trophy.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I generally agree with your statement, I'm also 95% confident that no other NT would have had enough athletic ability to drop into coverage as Raji did, pick off the pass, and run it in for the win against the Bears. We wouldn't have even made the Super Bowl without that one play. His performance in general was pretty good, and like everybody else on the team, contributed in a positive way towards that trophy.

I agree Raji contributed to us winning it all in 2010 but I don't agree with that we wouldn't have made it to the Super Bowl without his pick-6. We were leading 14-7 at that point and an incompletion on that play would have forced a punt by the Bears and we would have gotten the ball back with six minutes left. So I guess it's fair to assume we could have won that game with Raji scoring.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That play simply sealed the deal. We still would have won without it.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that you guys are forgetting the flow of the game and the ending. Once Cutler was bench and Collins left, Hanie was moving the ball at will while Rodgers couldn't get any momentum on offense. Yes, the Raji TD made it 21-7 but Hanie scored a minute later to get within 7. With a minute or two left the Bears stuffed us and were driving inside the 30 yard line when Shields got his game-saving INT. Without Raji's play and pick six, it would have been tied and we would have been watching the Bears drive for the game-winning FG instead of a TD.

It didn't simply seal the deal, it was the deal.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe they need to involve Raji on offense again, like they did in the 2010 playoff march? It seemed to energize the kid!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree if he was the sole reason we won the Super Bowl. He was VERY good during the playoffs that year but I don't think many would agree that the Packers would not have won without him. However, history has shown that the Packers dline isn't very good with him as the centerpiece.

high standards, no one has ever been the sole reason a team has won the sb

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A short memory is taking into account everything he's done since the playoffs four years ago? Seriously, aside from being terrible in 2011 (playing NT btw), terrible in 2013 and decent in 2012, how is Raji a positive draft pick at #9 overall?

Just look at the contract he's playing under right now and ask yourself if a succesful #9 overall pic, who is only 28, would be playing under a one-year $4m contract with only $500,000 guaranteed? His contract alone speaks to his success.

He was a vital part of us winning a SB, sorry but I take into account his entire career when deciding if someone was a good pick or not... not his current contract

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that you guys are forgetting the flow of the game and the ending. Once Cutler was bench and Collins left, Hanie was moving the ball at will while Rodgers couldn't get any momentum on offense. Yes, the Raji TD made it 21-7 but Hanie scored a minute later to get within 7. With a minute or two left the Bears stuffed us and were driving inside the 30 yard line when Shields got his game-saving INT. Without Raji's play and pick six, it would have been tied and we would have been watching the Bears drive for the game-winning FG instead of a TD.

It didn't simply seal the deal, it was the deal.

None of us knows what would have happened if Raji didn't end up with the pick six, but I would have liked our chances if the Bears would have had to punt at that point.

No denying though that that was a huge play by the big fella.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Raji was good rushing the passer in 2010 but hardly dominant vs. the run. He played terrible at the nose in 2011 so just moving back to NT doesn't mean he'll have a great season.
Nose tackles in a 3 4 defense aren't pass rushers, they are two gappers, they take on multiple blocks to make space for the linebackers. The mere fact that he was such a great pass rusher is the best indicator of how dominant he was that year, he wasn't as good on the run. I personally feel he was run into the ground in 2010 and 2011, he played 85% of the snaps in 10 and almost 80 in 11. That's a tough thing to do. Then he was moved out of his natural position and struggled. He dropped into space and made a game changing interception in the NFC Championship game. A big boy like that dropping into space, that is athleticism, granted he was one step away from blowing with that showboating. I expect great things from Raji this year, well know if I'm right by next Feb. One disclaimer, look at the number under the ponco in my photo.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a vital part of us winning a SB, sorry but I take into account his entire career when deciding if someone was a good pick or not... not his current contract

My point is that he wasn't a vital part of the Super Bowl winning team, he was good, but not vital. It's also not coincidental that his performance has tailed off once he became the #1 focus on the dline.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that he wasn't a vital part of the Super Bowl winning team, he was good, but not vital. It's also not coincidental that his performance has tailed off once he became the #1 focus on the dline.

Raji flat out carried the interior defense that season. The combination of his production and the number of snaps he played, almost super human. We would not have made the playoffs without him.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never underestimate the effects of scheme and coaching on the apparent ability of our talent guys. Case in point Ted Thompson's drafting of O-linemen. Through the first several years of his administration many fans claimed that he was a hopeless judge of talent where the Oline was concerned. Then following the 2007 season the team started drafting more power run types. We picked up Sitton in 2008, Lang in 2009, Bulaga in 2010... Now we have a big powerfully built Offensive line and it might be the best unit we've had since those Sherman lines of the early 2000s, and honestly, might even be better than those units.

Was it that Thompson is better at judging power run Olinemen? Or perhaps Campen and Co are just much better at coaching up a power run style of play?

Members online

Latest posts