Status
Not open for further replies.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Vandermause column: Thompson won't spend millions

on mediocrity
By Mike Vandermause

The knock against Ted Thompson is the Green Bay Packers' general manager is sitting on a $21 million pile of cash and barely has moved during the first two weeks of NFL free agency.

While some teams have been throwing money around like drunken sailors, Thompson has taken a more conservative approach.

"It doesn't make sense to do something just so you can show people that you've done something, when in fact come next September or October you realize this did really not help us," said Thompson, who spent most of this past week on a scouting trip.

It's not that Thompson won't spend money in the open market, as evidenced by the signings last year of Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett. But the 2007 free-agent field had the look of a rundown used-car lot, and it's obvious Thompson won't overpay for a beater.

While he refuses to second-guess the wild spending habits of other teams, Thompson's philosophy tends to stand in contradiction to that approach.

"I don't think, with the ability of other teams to lock in their best players, I don't know that the kind of players that can turn a franchise around ever make it to free agency," he said.

Usually, there's a good reason why players are available. If they were bona fide difference-makers, their last employer would have done more to keep them.

If recent history is any indication, teams that make headlines in March are not the ones flourishing in the fall. The Minnesota Vikings and Washington Redskins are prime examples.

They couldn't open their checkbooks fast enough to sign high-profile, high-priced free agents over the past three years. And what did their shopping sprees produce? The Redskins were a woeful 5-11 last season, and the Vikings were a pathetic 6-10.

In contrast, the Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts signed just one free agent last year (kicker Adam Vinatieri), and the runner-up Chicago Bears picked up a nickel cornerback (Ricky Manning Jr.), a second-string quarterback (Brian Griese) and a special-teams player (Dante Wesley).

Such evidence supports Thompson's approach to free agency, which recognizes the difference between using and abusing the system. Free agents effectively can fill some potholes on the roster, but reckless spending will cause greater problems down the road.

The lone free agent to sign with the Packers this year is Frank Walker, who will battle for the No. 3 cornerback job. Just six teams — the Bears, Panthers, Giants, Chargers, Bengals and Ravens — have signed fewer players.

Other clubs have been more aggressive.

"A team might be sitting in a place where they think, 'Well, we've got a two-year window to maybe win this thing," Thompson said. "I don't necessarily subscribe to that kind of thinking, but I'm sure there are people that look at it that way. Then they say, 'What the heck, let's shoot the moon here.'"

Thompson prefers a more patient approach.

"We're doing everything we can," he said. "We're pedaling as fast as we can. We're trying to get as good as we can as fast as we can."

It may not be fast enough for some, but it's the only way Thompson knows how to operate.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But it seems some care more if it LOOKS like he's doing something, more then if he's really ACCOMPLISHING something.
The awards don't go to the GM that spends the fastest.
There is plenty of time from now till the start of the season. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
Alas, some people don't want to see it that way. They would rather FEEL good that Ted LOOKS like he's doing more.
I think the guy doesn't just jump to get someone, just so he looks good. He really cares if it's money well spent, rather then "looking busy".
Just my opinion.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is incompetent and doesnt spend his time wisely. Why the hell is he evaluating Charles Johnson. We have more pressing needs than taking a look at a receiver that we have NO SHOT Of GETTING EVER!!!!!!!

How about addressing that little Randy Moss situation.

How about addressing that little tight end situation.

How about addressing that little defensive back field situation

How about addressing that little running back situation

THAT IS, IF YOU CAN FIT IT INTO YOUR BUSY SCHEDULE OF CHECKING OUT COLLEGE PLAYERS WHO WILL NEVER PLAY ON THIS TEAM.

WTF, RANDY MOSS HAS STATED PUBLICLY OVER AND OVER THAT HE WOULD LOVE TO BE ON THE PACKERS!!!!!!!!!!

HELLOO!!!!!!!!!!

WAKE UP!!!!!!!

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan,
Don't state the obvious, you will just be branded a TT hater by some on this forum who think he can do no wrong.
I agree that throwing money around does not build winning teams, and I am willing to be patient to see what happens through the draft.
This will be TT's third year making the tough decisions, last year turned out better than most thought it would, The Packers as a team showed improvement by the end of the season, hopefully most of those young guys who started to "get it" will be back and there will be some additions that put The Pack back at the top of the NFC North.
My only doubt is that TT is not making things happen fast enough to give Brett and some of the other vets a real chance at another SB run.
Hopefully I am wrong.
Whatever happens come time for the 2007 regular season, I will not be one of those who puts the blame on anyone each week if The Pack loses, TT is in charge of making the decisions, I will live with those decisions and continue to back The Pack win or lose.
Now is the time for everyone to express their personal opinions on what is happening with The Packers, come kick-off 2007 it will be time for everyone to band together and become Packer fans.

OP
OP
O

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Btw it's Calvin Johnson,

and I think TT knows better than anyone how to spend his time.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Btw it's Calvin Johnson,

how the hell would you know what he is doing? If anyone here really thinks we have a shot at calvin johnson you are a moron. Why the hell would TT pay a rookie 40 million if he wont pay randy moss.

Why not spend company resources on guys that can play on the packers and help our team. We have pressing needs at many positions and its like we are just holding our hands over our eyes hoping that it takes care of itself. Are you a packer fan or what? Open your eyes

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan,
Don't state the obvious, you will just be branded a TT hater by some on this forum who think he can do no wrong.
I agree that throwing money around does not build winning teams, and I am willing to be patient to see what happens through the draft.
This will be TT's third year making the tough decisions, last year turned out better than most thought it would, The Packers as a team showed improvement by the end of the season, hopefully most of those young guys who started to "get it" will be back and there will be some additions that put The Pack back at the top of the NFC North.
My only doubt is that TT is not making things happen fast enough to give Brett and some of the other vets a real chance at another SB run.
Hopefully I am wrong.
Whatever happens come time for the 2007 regular season, I will not be one of those who puts the blame on anyone each week if The Pack loses, TT is in charge of making the decisions, I will live with those decisions and continue to back The Pack win or lose.
Now is the time for everyone to express their personal opinions on what is happening with The Packers, come kick-off 2007 it will be time for everyone to band together and become Packer fans.

I hear you but the bottom line is this. If we do not address the tight end situation and our offense is as anemic as it was last year and Bubba is starting tight end and dropping touchdowns like last year, i will root for another team. It is completely unnecessary for us to open the season with bubba in there.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
OregonPackFan said:
Btw it's Calvin Johnson,

how the hell would you know what he is doing?

so how is he really spending his time then?? your so sure others know, but say they dont, but we are suppose to believe YOU know?

Your so SURE he isnt doing anything to get moss, or figuring out what to do with the te/rb spots.

you must have a clue on what he is doing then, so let us know..

BTW the moss thing

"I was told weeks before any hint in the news that negotiation were in very early stages. "

That came from a VERY reliable source...Someone that is Brett's partner for business dealings

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way you people on this forum defend packer management to the death is asinine. Its as if you guys are packer employees trying to do a public relations coverup.

Management has shown NOTHING in 11 years.

Am i supposed to get excited about "Packers re-sign Tory Humphrey"

I never even heard of Humphrey.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OregonPackFan said:
Btw it's Calvin Johnson,

how the hell would you know what he is doing? If anyone here really thinks we have a shot at calvin johnson you are a moron. Why the hell would TT pay a rookie 40 million if he wont pay randy moss.

Why not spend company resources on guys that can play on the packers and help our team. We have pressing needs at many positions and its like we are just holding our hands over our eyes hoping that it takes care of itself. Are you a packer fan or what? Open your eyes

Same thing was thought of Rodger and look how far he dropped. Maybe he will drop to 7th or 8th where Thompson has a deal worked out with someone for a move up in the draft. It is called due dilligence. cover all the angles even if they are extremely unlikely. It is what those that succeed do, regularly.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
flapackfan,
Hopefully I am wrong.

I hear you but the bottom line is this. If we do not address the tight end situation and our offense is as anemic as it was last year and Bubba is starting tight end and dropping touchdowns like last year, i will root for another team. It is completely unnecessary for us to open the season with bubba in there.

If your being a fan is conditional the maybe you shold root for another team. It is clear to me you don't understand the real packer fan....we may or may not like all that our team does, and we may get extrememly frustrated, but NEVER is jumping ship an option..

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free Agency can help you bridge the gap in talent between what you have and the draft. I don't believe that this years draft can fill the spots that we need help in. It has often been stated that we need a running back, wide receiver, tight end, defensive back, safety. I don't believe for a moment that we're going to fill those spots in the draft with starters. I do believe we could have, at the very least, added some depth through free agency which now gives you a little more time to build through the draft.

I don't disagree with TT's approach to rebuild through the draft. I just wonder why with all this cap room we haven't done anything yet?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free Agency can help you bridge the gap in talent between what you have and the draft. I don't believe that this years draft can fill the spots that we need help in. It has often been stated that we need a running back, wide receiver, tight end, defensive back, safety. I don't believe for a moment that we're going to fill those spots in the draft with starters. I do believe we could have, at the very least, added some depth through free agency which now gives you a little more time to build through the draft.

I don't disagree with TT's approach to rebuild through the draft. I just wonder why with all this cap room we haven't done anything yet?

Thats pretty much how I feel. There were people that could have plugged some holes on this team available that were signed to very friendly contracts.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
Buckeyepackfan said:
flapackfan,
Hopefully I am wrong.

If your being a fan is conditional the maybe you shold root for another team. It is clear to me you don't understand the real packer fan....we may or may not like all that our team does, and we may get extrememly frustrated, but NEVER is jumping ship an option..

Get off your high horse man, seriously. "Real Packer Fan" Give me a fkn break. I am as big a packer fan as any of you guys and i want them to do well. Why do you think im wasting my breath in this chat room?????? Why do you think im so upset????/

If i was a fair weather fan i'd just root for the Miami Dolphins since their stadium is 45 minutes away from my house or the Tampa Bay Bucs or the Jaxonville Jaguars. I dont, because i am a "real packer fan"

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:
flapackfan said:
Buckeyepackfan said:
flapackfan,
Hopefully I am wrong.

Get off your high horse man, seriously. "Real Packer Fan" Give me a fkn break. I am as big a packer fan as any of you guys and i want them to do well. Why do you think im wasting my breath in this chat room?????? Why do you think im so upset????/

If i was a fair weather fan i'd just root for the Miami Dolphins since their stadium is 45 minutes away from my house or the Tampa Bay Bucs or the Jaxonville Jaguars. I dont, because i am a "real packer fan"

Don't let it bother you man. Real fans don't have to agree with every move. In the same breath, realize that these guys are Packer fans as well and IMO they have a hard time saying anything negative about the Packers. It's kind of like when I defend the Packers to my buddies. Sometimes they make great points but I am not going to budge and will twist everything around to look like the Packers are going to the SB every year.

I just feel that since we are all on the team here I don't have to make excuses and can comforatably talk about the Packers shortcomings unbiasedly.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:
flapackfan said:
Buckeyepackfan said:
flapackfan,
Hopefully I am wrong.

I was merely referring to the "root for another team" post. I have yet to hear anything positive from you. 4-12 to 8-8 isnt a move in the right direction for you. What will be? will anything short of a SB?

we have no idea what Thompson is doing. We don't follow him around. My thought is let him have the off season to show what he is doing before you jump down his throat. If he does get moss, trades for turner, gets someone good in the draft will you be happy? Does he have to make each individual move that you would? Are you an expert in being in charge of a team?

No high horse here....but like I said before, being a TRUE packer fan is NOT having your allegiance conditional.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

Thats pretty much how I feel. There were people that could have plugged some holes on this team available that were signed to very friendly contracts.

Let's say this again

20 million maybe in cap space
how much to re-do moss's contract, reports are 10 million

thats 10 million left over
rookies , maybe 3- 4 million
thats 6-7 milliion left
re-do Barnetts contract
and some left over in case injuries happen

those scenarios are very likley to me...so where is the extra money?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
packedhouse01 said:

Let's say this again

thats 6-7 milliion left
re-do Barnetts contract

I was unaware Moss was a Packer or they Reid Barnett's contract

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
pyledriver80 said:
packedhouse01 said:

Let's say this again

thats 6-7 milliion left
re-do Barnetts contract

I was unaware Moss was a Packer or they Reid Barnett's contract

They haven't. But we all know that Barnetts contract needs to be redone soon and that They are actively trying to bring in Moss. So id that is their plan, then they don't have a tremendous amount of money to throw around at aother players.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
trippster said:
flapackfan said:
Buckeyepackfan said:
flapackfan,
Hopefully I am wrong.

I was merely referring to the "root for another team" post. I have yet to hear anything positive from you. 4-12 to 8-8 isnt a move in the right direction for you. What will be? will anything short of a SB?

we have no idea what Thompson is doing. We don't follow him around. My thought is let him have the off season to show what he is doing before you jump down his throat. If he does get moss, trades for turner, gets someone good in the draft will you be happy? Does he have to make each individual move that you would? Are you an expert in being in charge of a team?

No high horse here....but like I said before, being a TRUE packer fan is NOT having your allegiance conditional.
I agree Trippster...............I love the Packers NOT because they are always great, but because they are "MY" team. I think alot of fans here were not Packer fans through the 1970's and 1980's. They have NO idea what REAL adversity is. So they get all bent when the team doesn't do EXACTLY what they want. Problem is, none i have seen here so far seem to really be able to point out EXACTLY what Ted SHOULD have done, cut and dried. They just yell and scream that he hasn't signed ANYBODY. I would like to see a detailed report from the "haters" EXACTLY where TT went wrong, and EXACTLY who THEY would have signed for EXACTLY what cost. Then when it's all said and done, we would KNOW which moves they would have been right or wrong on. It's always easy to armchair QB, as WE really have nothing at stake.
Oh.....and i'd want the list to be REAL. Not players that TT couldn't get, because they already signed elsewhere.
Just because some of us prefer to actually wait and SEE the results of what our GM is gonna do, doesn't mean we are giving him a free pass to not help the team. We just judge on the RESULTS is all, not on what hasn't happened yet. To me, it's like we are in the 1st quarter of a game, there is no score, and people are already in panic mode.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
trippster said:
flapackfan said:
Buckeyepackfan said:
flapackfan,
Hopefully I am wrong.

he doesnt have to consult with me on every move, no. But it feels to me like we are dropping the ball here with Randy Moss. We dropped it with Javon a couple of years ago and we see how that worked out. Im just saying, this is a special circumstance that we have right now with this much cap space. I cant remember any team ever having this much cap space ever. And yes, we were 8 - 8. And in my opinion, this is a team that can win or at least compete for a superbowl next year and so on with a few key acquisitions, Moss being the most important one.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's say this again

thats 6-7 milliion left
re-do Barnetts contract

You've got to be kidding me, why would we restructure Randys contract to cost us 10 million up front? Isnt there a way to structure it so that it doesnt cost so much up front.

And, even if it did cost that much, who cares. Why not spend the money on an exciting player who gives us a chance to win. We give KGB 5 million per year to sit on the bench. We are talking about a game breaker here guys. They dont come with large fries for 3.99

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be honest, I wasn't a packer fan during the 70's and most of the 80's. But that is because I was born in 1988 :thumbsup:

My other sports teams are the Bulls and the Cardinals, so I really haven't had to go through many losing seasons. But it seems like some people on here feel that management has no idea what their doing, even to the point of management not caring. I really don't understand how 4-12 to 8-8 isn't an improvement. If we have a 5 or 6 win season next year, then we have a problem. It has almost gotten to a point where I don't even want to come on here, because people are so negative about EVERYTHING. Every signing costs us the Super Bowl it seems like.

Whatever. Maybe I'm just naive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts