Thompson ready for Brett to come back

Status
Not open for further replies.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://sulia.com/channel/green-bay-packers/f/e491f8e8-112a-4268-bae4-39c05d4cdf5c/?source=fb

"I think it's wonderful. Talking about this place and what it means ... As others have said, this is going to happen. There will be a Brett-coming-back thing and him getting his due arms, as he should. The man played for a very long time here and was a marvelous, marvelous football player and a good person in the community, he and his wife. i think it means a lot for the Packers for Brett Fare to be remembered in a good light. I have no objections at all (to him returning)."

Asked if his relationship with Favre was the key to a reconciliation happening, Thompson replied, "When you talk about the Packers and Brett Favre, I'm way down on the list -- as I should be."

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion is that Favre tried to do exactly what he did to the Jets: Retire, get his release, and then sign with the Vikings. But it didn't work out for him with the Packers. It's also been my opinion that MM decided Rogers gave us the best chance of winning and TT backed him up. Ted became the villain in some people's eyes, but he made the correct decision, as did McCarthy. I won't boo Favre if they decide to have his "day", but I won't cheer for him either.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It`s business, and I accept that, but I`m in total agreement with JBlood, I WONT be cheering him back on the day because I don`t think he deserves it. I wont be buying merchandise with #4 on it, but if our organisation can make money on his name so be it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It`s business, and I accept that, but I`m in total agreement with JBlood, I WONT be cheering him back on the day because I don`t think he deserves it. I wont be buying merchandise with #4 on it, but if our organisation can make money on his name so be it.

I'll be in the parking lot selling crocs with the #4 on them

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I still say that putting his number on all the port-a-crappers in the state of WI is a good idea. Then we can say instead of having to "go take a # 2", we can now " go take a massive stinky # 4"

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this subject should be kept in a dark corner for decades to come. its too early to talk about bringing this ***** back in any way, shape or form.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is similar to the Jennings thread that went on and on. Favre deserves to have his name on the ring of honor like all of the other greats that made the Packers, in turn, great. We don't have to celebrate his silly behaviors though and you don't have to like him, but you can respect the effort and excellence that he displayed on the field

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
This is similar to the Jennings thread that went on and on. Favre deserves to have his name on the ring of honor like all of the other greats that made the Packers, in turn, great. We don't have to celebrate his silly behaviors though and you don't have to like him, but you can respect the effort and excellence that he displayed on the field

This is how I feel about the whole situation... say I was married for lets say...17 years,... and then my husband went off on a tangent.. mid life crisis so to speak. Marriage ends...we both go our separate ways.
He goes on to marry my worst enemy (only for 2 yrs) and then spews all these awful things about how it was being married to me.
Now,..his family wants to bestow upon him the honor of "Best Husband EVER" award and some of the family thinks that not only should I be in attendance of him receiving this award...but that I should be happy and honored to be there and graced with his presence for getting the award.

Thats how it feels to me, as irrational as it may seem to some...it is what it is.

But I think that as irrational as lets say...the ex saying that some honor is owed to him for giving me at least 17 yrs , but no consequences should be held accountable for him on how he handled our breakup.

LOL!! Thats the best way I can explain how things plays out for me! ... granted,...yes in football terms he's going to
be honored for all he's done for the Packers.
BUT in my eyes, as well as others....we can't be shamed or berated for feeling the way we feel.

It is what it is....

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This is how I feel about the whole situation... say I was married for lets say...17 years,... and then my husband went off on a tangent.. mid life crisis so to speak. Marriage ends...we both go our separate ways.
He goes on to marry my worst enemy (only for 2 yrs) and then spews all these awful things about how it was being married to me.
BUT in my eyes, as well as others....we can't be shamed or berated for feeling the way we feel.

It is what it is....
The only way this analogy works is if you are a serial bride and planned to move on to the next husband at some point. Maybe had one on the side practicing for the role for when the long-time hubby left.
Favre was an esteemed employee of a firm that has a high turnover rate. He was asked to terminate his employment. Out of spite he went to a competitor and divulged propietary trade secrets not only to them but also to any other competing business that would listen.

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem for me with Favre is not just 2008, it goes back over the prior three years as well. Favre opened his mouth repeatedly about his vision for the team - who should be coach (and therefore playbooks because he didn't want to have to learn a new one), who should be retained apparently regardless of the price, and who should be brought in through free agency. After he "retired" he also went on record that "doors were closed" on him when two QB's were drafted. In essence, there was a protracted difference of opinion as to how the team was to be constructed - Thompson's way, which is still how he chooses to do it, or Favre's way, make one last push with his buddies, his coach, and his free agents. It all finally went kaboom in 2008. And I think time has shown that Thompson's way was valid and I can't even begin to think that a Sherman coached team, with aging players retained at too high of a cost, and Randy Moss would have even come close to the success that the Packers have had.

If Favre's problems had simply been over money, then that would probably be more acceptable. But he blew up the team and went to bitter rivals for revenge over not being able to be the GM of the team, and time has shown he was mostly wrong (perhaps with the exception of Wahle for one season).

But the honors will flow because the team has to do it or look bad. And there's money to be had for everybody. The only real problem is the Favre la la landers are going to be re-emboldened to spout their "franchise savior" drivel for a while.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem for me with Favre is not just 2008, it goes back over the prior three years as well. Favre opened his mouth repeatedly about his vision for the team - who should be coach (and therefore playbooks because he didn't want to have to learn a new one), who should be retained apparently regardless of the price, and who should be brought in through free agency.

Favre's way, make one last push with his buddies, his coach, and his free agents.

He did get that in Minny and he still tossed an int to end their season

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you think the Packers should officially retire Favre's number and inscribe his name on Lambeau Field, try justifying that view the next time you see someone parading around in a Favre #4 Vikings jersey or watch now standard stock footage of Favre in action - in a Minnesota uniform.

There's a reason there are no schools in America named for Benedict Arnold and no churches anywhere dedicated to St.Judas Iscariot. Betrayal changes things permanently and Favre is the arch-traitor of Green Bay Packer history. Have we forgotten how he double-crossed the Packers and Packer fandom about his retirement? How he connived and schemed and lied for two years to get to Minnesota for the prime purpose of "sticking it" to the Packers?

No matter that Favre will be inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Not every Packer who has been inducted into the HOF has had his number retired or his name put on the stadium. Favre, who said in 2008 that his legacy was his own, will go in as himself and the Packers will only be mentioned as one of the four clubs he played with during his career. Favre is now more readily identified with the Vikings than the Packers anyway.

Besides, now that we've seen Aaron Rodgers' level of performance as the Packers' quarterback Favre doesn't look all that great anymore anyway. If Rodgers had been quarterbacking the teams Favre had with him in Green Bay the Packers would have at least 3-4 more Super Bowls wins on their record and at least 5-6 more appearances.

Favre's records are mostly the product of longevity. Pretty much all his individual game and season marks have been exceeded by many others and his best seasons don't rate with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or even with Drew Brees or Rodgers.

If the Packers franchise has any self respect they won't cave in to the media and league pressures to rehabilitate Favre into the family, just to serve as jesters in his court at the HOF. Favre was what he was and did what he did and leave it at that. Let his name or his number not be mentioned again.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If you think the Packers sho..........nd leave it at that. Let his name or his number not be mentioned again.
EEE-yah. Now that you feel better, you will just have to accept the fact that his name will be on the wall, his number will be retired, along with being in the P_HOF before he is in Canton. Let the Favre be with you. It is your destiny.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he gets a big welcome sign when he comes back

"Welcome back Brent."

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I'm sure some folks will disagree but I'm not sure why we pick at this scab every couple of months. The jokes are no longer funny (or original) and, IMO, the simmering resentment toward a knucklehead like Favre is rather unbecoming.

There's a reason there are no schools in America named for Benedict Arnold and no churches anywhere dedicated to St.Judas Iscariot. Betrayal changes things permanently and Favre is the arch-traitor of Green Bay Packer history. Have we forgotten how he double-crossed the Packers and Packer fandom about his retirement? How he connived and schemed and lied for two years to get to Minnesota for the prime purpose of "sticking it" to the Packers?

C'mon, man. Perspective. This isn't Patriotism or Christianity, we're talking about professional football. It's a business. Players will go where the money is; franchises will drop a player when he's no longer useful. Expecting unwavering loyalty in this business makes about as much sense as Jennings' ongoing resentment toward the Packers. Favre acted like a **** but please spare us the sanctimonious grandstanding.

Favre is now more readily identified with the Vikings than the Packers anyway.

At this point I don't see a reason to retire Favre's number either, but does that mean I have to ignore reality too?

Let his name or his number not be mentioned again.

We agree on this, except without these Favre threads we would never hear from Toolkien so at least there's that... nevermind.

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I ask this question of Jaybadger in a polite, not confrontational way okay ? Badger, we've bashed heads on this subject before, and I don't want that crap again but why must the pro Favre faction feel the anti Favre faction MUST forgive him for what he did ? I agree that this ONE single subject has split the whole Packer nation down the middle, but in fairness WE feel as strongly against him as you guys feel FOR him. I seriously think these threads should be possibly banned as they seem to bring out the worst in us all (myself included in that statement), but personally I feel VERY strongly against Favre and always will, as ALOT of others do. It's a civil question not a cheap shot at you.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I ask this question of Jaybadger in a polite, not confrontational way okay ? Badger, we've bashed heads on this subject before, and I don't want that crap again but why must the pro Favre faction feel the anti Favre faction MUST forgive him for what he did ? I agree that this ONE single subject has split the whole Packer nation down the middle, but in fairness WE feel as strongly against him as you guys feel FOR him. I seriously think these threads should be possibly banned as they seem to bring out the worst in us all (myself included in that statement), but personally I feel VERY strongly against Favre and always will, as ALOT of others do. It's a civil question not a cheap shot at you.

Thanks Bill- I prefer a conversation to an argument myself and I regret my part in some of the past squabbles over this topic. Everything that follows is just my opinion and isn't intended to be confrontational:

I've never really considered myself "for" or "pro" Brett Favre. I think Bert was a knucklehead. The Packers made the right decision in parting ways with him and the organization has been vindicated by its subsequent success. It doesn't seem like now is the right time for the Packers to retire his number, either.

With that said, I don't harbor the same animosity toward Favre as others seem to. Sometimes the vitriol is a bit surprising and it strikes me that this sort of emotional investment in a professional sports figure is a bit silly, a bit lacking in perspective. That's why I call call this "unbecoming." I feel like it reflects poorly on the intelligence and dignity of our fan base.

I can't/won't tell people how they should feel about Favre. It's not so much peoples' attitude toward Bert that I'm criticizing, rather it's the manner in which some people express that attitude. Not sure why we revisit this subject so often when nothing new has been said for so long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts