Thompson made the right call

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we think Rodgers is done for the season, including IF we get a playoff game?
Do we not IR him to keep the team's "psyche" up or something?
Or do they really plan on letting him play again on X day?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted has a job that I sure wouldn't want.
If there was a choice between what he does and water-boy, show me the way to the Gatorade mix.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They all keep on saying that Rodgers will play when he gets the green light.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I agree that I sure wouldn't want TT's job.... on a side point though,..after Rodgers was out with a concussion in '10 they designed a better helmet to protect him from that,... now is there any kind of vest or something that could protect his collar bone? Aside from players being wrapped in bubble wrap, it seems like they would have something like the helmet, the cup, the shoulder pads...something to help the collar bone if its such a debilatating injury.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that I sure wouldn't want TT's job.... on a side point though,..after Rodgers was out with a concussion in '10 they designed a better helmet to protect him from that,... now is there any kind of vest or something that could protect his collar bone? Aside from players being wrapped in bubble wrap, it seems like they would have something like the helmet, the cup, the shoulder pads...something to help the collar bone if its such a debilatating injury.

This would do:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

First of all, the originally quoted 4-6 weeks recovery time might be adequate for you or I going to work at a desk. For an NFL player engaged in repeated high impact collisions, I have a lot of trouble seeing any bone getting to 100% (literally, not just saying it's so) in that time period.

The potential reward has to be sufficient to compensate for the risk. If Rodgers is tackled on that shoulder again and incurrs a re-injury worse than the original, management is screwed, we're all screwed. If the words "nerve damage" come into the discussion, as they have with some of our other broken collarbones in recent years, then we have a very, very serious problem.

If we're playing Chicago for the Division, that might qualify as a risk worth taking. Or maybe not. The risk/reward calculation is re-calibrated each Wednesday and Friday. It's not like there's some secret, hidden plan. Not everything is known when you want to know it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt Rodgers will play again this season even if the Packers reach the Super Bowl. (Although, in that scenario, you'd have to think Matt Flynn would be playing awfully well to make it that far.) It sucks as a fan, but I can understand TT's reasoning.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, the originally quoted 4-6 weeks recovery time might be adequate for you or I going to work at a desk. For an NFL player engaged in repeated high impact collisions, I have a lot of trouble seeing any bone getting to 100% (literally, not just saying it's so) in that time period.

The potential reward has to be sufficient to compensate for the risk. If Rodgers is tackled on that shoulder again and incurrs a re-injury worse than the original, management is screwed, we're all screwed. If the words "nerve damage" come into the discussion, as they have with some of our other broken collarbones in recent years, then we have a very, very serious problem.

If we're playing Chicago for the Division, that might qualify as a risk worth taking. Or maybe not. The risk/reward calculation is re-calibrated each Wednesday and Friday. It's not like there's some secret, hidden plan. Not everything is known when you want to know it.

Him taking the rest of the season off and all offseason doesn't guarantee anything though. I think that's what everyone is missing. Look at Woodson's situation. Broke it a year and a half after the first time. That bone will never be 100% again and he'll always be at a higher risk than someone that hasn't broke theirs.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Him taking the rest of the season off and all offseason doesn't guarantee anything though. I think that's what everyone is missing. Look at Woodson's situation. Broke it a year and a half after the first time. That bone will never be 100% again and he'll always be at a higher risk than someone that hasn't broke theirs.

It doesn't guarantee anything, but I bet the risk or rebreaking it will be much lower by next season than it is right now.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't guarantee anything, but I bet the risk or rebreaking it will be much lower by next season than it is right now.

But we're on the cusp of hosting a playoff game as well. The risk might not be as great for a re-break next year, but it's always going to be there and you never know what's going to happen. I just would rather live for the now then get caught up in next year.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But we're on the cusp of hosting a playoff game as well. The risk might not be as great for a re-break next year, but it's always going to be there and you never know what's going to happen. I just would rather live for the now then get caught up in next year.

Looking towards the future has made the team perennial contenders. Living for the now gets teams in cap troubles for years and is what hurt the Redskins and RG3 this season. If Thompson and the Packers didn't look at the future maybe we'd be a projected $30 million over next year's cap like the Cowboys. Yes, cap management and injures are different, but it's still an example of how only looking at the present can hurt.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking towards the future has made the team perennial contenders. Living for the now gets teams in cap troubles for years and is what hurt the Redskins and RG3 this season. If Thompson and the Packers didn't look at the future maybe we'd be a projected $30 million over next year's cap like the Cowboys. Yes, cap management and injures are different, but it's still an example of how only looking at the present can hurt.

I'm a full supporter of TT's philosophy on financials and team building. I just don't agree on the conservative approach in this situation. I don't think the RG3 comparison applies at all here. The dude was playing on a partially torn ligament on a crappy field. They took a chance and lost and the chance they took was WAY WAY bigger than we would be taking with Rodgers. The rehab and recovery is just way harder and longer and RG3 was inexperienced. Also, the knee is something that is a LOT more susceptible to injury on every single play. We can protect Rodgers in a lot of ways where he won't take shots on his shoulder where as there isn't much you can do about a knee other than throw a brace on it and not let him run.

It is all about a calculated risk here and I'll always believe it's worth the risk in this situation. There's nothing that you can tell me that makes the positives for next year outweigh the risk here. I just don't think there's a lot to lose.

D

Deleted member 6794

I completely agree with shutting Rodgers down until he's completely healed, even if that takes until next season, but I'm quite sure Woodson didn't suffer the same injury again in 2011 (right collarbone) that he had in the Super Bowl (left side).

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah... I don't like the end result in this matter much .... but Thompson is protecting the organization's $130M investment in Aaron Rodgers. Playing Rodgers without a clear medical green light would be roughly comparable to running your Lamborghini with the "low oil" light on. Truthfully, I'm not betting on his return anymore this season - and if Jupiter aligns with Mars allowing the Pack in the playoffs ... well, it would a short run in my opinion, but I'd still want them in there regardless of how bad I think they'd get their ***es kicked. :)

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted has looked at the team and fells that with or without AR it isn't good enough to go far in this years playoffs. Therefore, no need to risk a re-injury to Rodgers.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted has looked at the team and fells that with or without AR it isn't good enough to go far in this years playoffs. Therefore, no need to risk a re-injury to Rodgers.

I know most people will disagree with me but if that is indeed his thought process, I find it appalling and disturbing and would say Ted needs to be shown the door. Ted's entire philosophy is build through the draft, hope the stars align and everything falls perfectly into place come playoff time and win the Super Bowl. This team did not look good enough to win the Super Bowl in 10' either. Neither of the Giants last 2 SB wins did the team look good enough to win the SB either. Giving up when you have a chance is unacceptable when you have Ted's philosophy.

Point being, if Ted does not even believe in his own philosophy anymore, why should anyone else?

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah... I don't like the end result in this matter much .... but Thompson is protecting the organization's $130M investment in Aaron Rodgers. Playing Rodgers without a clear medical green light would be roughly comparable to running your Lamborghini with the "low oil" light on. Truthfully, I'm not betting on his return anymore this season - and if Jupiter aligns with Mars allowing the Pack in the playoffs ... well, it would a short run in my opinion, but I'd still want them in there regardless of how bad I think they'd get their ***es kicked. :)
Like the analogy - not sure I agree though. Do agree - the whole point of the season is to get into the playoffs. The strongest team in recent memory, New England - blew the perfect season despite being so much better than every other team. If the Packers make it, there is always a chance they can win it all. Go Pack!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know most people will disagree with me but if that is indeed his thought process, I find it appalling and disturbing and would say Ted needs to be shown the door. Ted's entire philosophy is build through the draft, hope the stars align and everything falls perfectly into place come playoff time and win the Super Bowl. This team did not look good enough to win the Super Bowl in 10' either. Neither of the Giants last 2 SB wins did the team look good enough to win the SB either. Giving up when you have a chance is unacceptable when you have Ted's philosophy.

Point being, if Ted does not even believe in his own philosophy anymore, why should anyone else?
Sometimes you have to take a step backwards before you can take two forward. You have brought Ted's entire modus operandi into question and that is not it. Lot's of injuries, maybe disappointment with a particular coach are what he is seeing.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to take a step backwards before you can take two forward. You have brought Ted's entire modus operandi into question and that is not it. Lot's of injuries, maybe disappointment with a particular coach are what he is seeing.

No, I did not bring his methods into question, I brought into question...

IF, his thought process is play for next year, I find it disgusting. You don't know what is going to happen next year, you should NEVER play for next year if you have chance THIS year, it makes no sense what so ever and is a quitters and losers mentality.

I do not question the way Ted operates that team at all. I do however questions waiting for next year. And as far as taking a step backward to take 2 forward goes? The packers have yet to to take a single step forward since the SB year let alone two...

Last edited:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I did not bring his methods into question, I brought into question...

IF, his thought process is play for next year, I find it disgusting. You don't know what is going to happen next year, you should NEVER play for next year if you have chance THIS year, it makes no sense what so ever and is a quitters and losers mentality.

I do not question the way Ted operates that team at all. I do however questions waiting for next year. And as far as taking a step backward to take 2 forward goes? The packers have yet to to take a single step forward since the SB year let along two...
Ok, maybe we are not that far apart on things given your clarification. I agree 2010 is becoming more distant with every passing year.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, maybe we are not that far apart on things given your clarification. I agree 2010 is becoming more distant with every passing year.

I admit that I get a bit frustrated at times because it just seems this team has a penchant for letting golden opportunities pass them by, it goes all the way back to basically since Holmgren left town and the front office's inability to find a coach similar to Holmgren that could work with Favre and keep him in check. And even with the current version of the packers:

2009 - horrible defense screwed us
2010 - everything came together
2011 - horrible defense screwed us
2012 - horrible defense screwed us
2013 - everything seems to have worked against us and a horrible defense is ******** us

Hey, I am starting to see a pattern here...

So maybe the one thing TT could do better is a figure out way to make the defense better, perhaps it is time to try and make a splash with a defensive free agent acquisition?

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, but if one has Rodgers on his fantasy team the risk of losing this year is greater! We can't have that, can we?

Members online

Latest posts