Thompson looking to deal...????

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
As they always say - it takes two to tango. I have no doubt that Thompson has several players that will be quality performers in the league, who will not be making our final roster(K, DT, OL).

Unfortunately, the other teams know that these people may end up being released if they wait patiently making it less likely for them to offer anything of value in a trade.

Yes, they can wait, but waiting prevents these new players from getting time with their new team. Plus you have to get them signed and on your team if they hit the open market. There is some timing issue that will increase the pressure to pull off a trade, but correct, there isn't a ton of pressure to get the trade down.

I personally would much rather lose a kicker by cutting him and getting nothing in return than to cut a player that we could really use at some point in the season. Say a DL or CB.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, let us not forget that there are 31 other teams out there with a handful of players that will wind up on other rosters by the time the season begins and they are also looking to see if they can get something for these players rather than have to just release with no compensation.

Unless someone thinks Rayner/Crosby or one of our DT's, etc. is head and shoulders above any other players at these positions that are likely to be released, a trade is unlikely.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted's only been here for three years. Give it a little bit.

You boast, yet I see very little backing it up.

(Don't mess with me Sonny, you'll get the horns.)

You talk about ALL the money TT has to work with and HE is the is the one that worked all the deals that put the cap where it is today in the first place. He's done a fantastic job of negotiating FA contracts with the guys he's wanted to keep that has allowed the cushion we have to exist.

But you would want everyone here to think he doesn't have a clue in what he does.

Your the one making lame statements that you can't back up with hugely enlightening statements such as:

"Ted doesn't bring in good players, or, the players TT brings in sucks." You go on to list guys we brought in for a try or were lower round draft picks that cost little. The type of player EVERY GM out there takes a flyer on with little risk. What a joke that list is you displayed. Are you really that weak in how all this works to suggest that this list of players really means anything what so ever?

Your horns are out all right . Looks to me like one caught you in the temple there slick.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Your horns are out all right . Looks to me like one caught you in the temple there slick.
I liked it up to the last sentence, specifically the last word. :)

Yeah well about all I can say is at least we have a poster who goes by a name that fits.

He's fuzzy about a lot of things and is certainly nuts so.....at least he nailed something!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many fans have talked "trade" that gets the Packers a low pick next year. My problem with that is that we get NO help this year, and odds are the low pick gives us low benefits next year. Of course, guys like Driver can come from a low pick but he is the exception to the rule. Sure, if TT knows a guy will be cut, get a pick if you can. But trading a guy like Cole who can play well for us for a late pick is asinine, IMO. And that's a lot of what I'm hearing. Don't mess with our strongest position. There's a reason why it's strong.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Many fans have talked "trade" that gets the Packers a low pick next year. My problem with that is that we get NO help this year, and odds are the low pick gives us low benefits next year. Of course, guys like Driver can come from a low pick but he is the exception to the rule. Sure, if TT knows a guy will be cut, get a pick if you can. But trading a guy like Cole who can play well for us for a late pick is asinine, IMO. And that's a lot of what I'm hearing. Don't mess with our strongest position. There's a reason why it's strong.

That I agree with, I guess what most are saying is if we are going to cut the guy anyway, try to get something.. anything for him. The kickers fall into this category.. we won't keep both for the whole year.

DT ... does not fit that category... so correct... that would require something more in value be returned... IE a another RB with some up side or a TE that can split the seam a bit.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice. Spoken like a true moron when he's losing the argument.

I can name a long list of Thompson washouts as well.

Gardner, Boreigter, Marquand Manual, Abdul Hodge, Ingle Martin, O'Dwyer, Klemm, Palmer, Moll, Robinson, Rodgers, Frank Walker, oh, and let's not forget, Taco Wallace, etc..etc., and I can go on, and on.

So why don't you just sit back, relax and have a nice tall glass of ****, Junior!

You had Aaron Rodgers on that list?

Or do you mean Rogers the KR? Way to go knowing the names of our players.

Sherman had nearly 80% miss rate on his draft picks, Ted Thompson is doing vastly better and that's why our team is rising instead of going down.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:

Gardner, Boreigter, Marquand Manual, Abdul Hodge, Ingle Martin, O'Dwyer, Klemm, Palmer, Moll, Robinson, Rodgers, Frank Walker, oh, and let's not forget, Taco Wallace, etc..etc., and I can go on, and on.

So why don't you just sit back, relax and have a nice tall glass of ****, Junior!

Sherman had nearly 80% miss rate on his draft picks, Ted Thompson is doing vastly better and that's why our team is rising instead of going down.

No, I'm sure fuzzy meant Aaron Rodgers.

That's one of the cardinal rules of being a card-carrying TT Hater. You have to believe as fact that A-Rodg was a draft bust, and Favre is the only hope for the franchise, and we 'owe' Brett a run at the playoffs, so anyone who doesn't satisfy that immediately is a bust.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read on *gulp* Pro Football Talk that Chris Chambers, Mike Clayton, and Reggie Williams. Chambers is kind of a shocker on that list.

Colin Cole and Dave Rayner for Clayton or Chambers???

I would definitely do that deal.

Driver
Jennings
Chambers
Jones
K-Rob
Holiday

That is a scary receiving corps!!!!!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
warhawk said:
I liked it up to the last sentence, specifically the last word. :)

Yeah well about all I can say is at least we have a poster who goes by a name that fits.

He's fuzzy about a lot of things and is certainly nuts so.....at least he nailed something!

I just love these Junior High School pissing contests. They remind me of when I was was young! :D

As to deals, I think TT should trade for as many draft picks as he can get next year. It's important to win the draft picks contest each year. :-?

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Fuzznuts said:

That's one of the cardinal rules of being a card-carrying TT Hater. You have to believe as fact that A-Rodg was a draft bust, and Favre is the only hope for the franchise, and we 'owe' Brett a run at the playoffs, so anyone who doesn't satisfy that immediately is a bust.

No Bertram.

You are right, I meant Rodgers the kick returner.

But like a true Favre hater, Pack in Black has to twist a post to fit his belief system because to him, and people like him, it's the Favre fans vs. the TT fans.

It's funny. I thought we were all Green Bay Packer fans.

But to some misguided youths here if you are a Favre fan you can't be a Green Bay Packer fan too.

I disagree.

And I pity the future.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny. I thought we were all Green Bay Packer fans.

But to some misguided youths here if you are a Thompson supporter you can't be a Green Bay Packer fan too.

I disagree.

And I pity the future.

(btw, thanks for bringing "Favre Hater" back. It's been a while since thats been said on the board. Since Pack66 was here actually...interesting.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

No Bertram.

But like a true Favre hater, Pack in Black has to twist a post to fit his belief system because to him, and people like him, it's the Favre fans vs. the TT fans.

Uhhhh huh. Sorry, but I was just assuming that since nearly every post you make is anti-TT and all "Favre is God", that you disliked TT and loved Brett.

And really, when have I said that I hate Favre? Nearly every time I diss the guy I preface it with something to the effect of ' Brett is my hero.'

so please, take your bait posts and intentionally inflammatory statements and **** on someone else's forum. I liked it better here before you came back.....

I mean before you came.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read on *gulp* Pro Football Talk that Chris Chambers, Mike Clayton, and Reggie Williams. Chambers is kind of a shocker on that list.

Colin Cole and Dave Rayner for Clayton or Chambers???

I would definitely do that deal.

Driver
Jennings
Chambers
Jones
K-Rob
Holiday

That is a scary receiving corps!!!!!

There is no way Cole and Rayner could bring Chambers. Unless Randy Mueller is trippin' balls on LSD.

Chambers is a top tier WR and they don't come cheaply.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
pack_in_black said:

No Bertram.

Uhhhh huh. Sorry, but I was just assuming that since nearly every post you make is anti-TT and all "Favre is God", that you disliked TT and loved Brett.

And really, when have I said that I hate Favre? Nearly every time I diss the guy I preface it with something to the effect of ' Brett is my hero.'

so please, take your bait posts and intentionally inflammatory statements and **** on someone else's forum. I liked it better here before you came back.....

I mean before you came.

I don't know what you're talking about? Is that the way it works around here, someone doesn't like your opinion in a post and some of you PM each other to try and gang up on him or make up sh*t and accuse him of being someone else?

I guess I can play that game too, but it's pretty juvenile. Let's see, who started it? Oh yeah, a poster named Zero2Cool. Maybe I'll accuse him of being a poster called DePyle. His name came up before. People didn't seem to like him here. Why did he leave?

I thought this forum was about the free expression of opinions about the Green Bay Packers, not just the opinions that are sanctioned and that everyone agrees upon. But maybe I'm wrong.

For the record, I don't hate Ted Thompson but I do think some of you posters here give him a little too much credit before he's earned it, and get very defensive if someone points out his mistakes or weaknesses.

Ted has drafted some good players and made some moves. He has also made alot of mistakes and bad moves in my opinon. I guess it all comes down to if you buy into his philosophy and whether you think that Ted Thompson is a builder of championship teams, or just a collector of talent.

I happen to believe he's the latter until he proves me wrong.

If he can.

8)

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson's job is to be a collector of talent. It is up to the HC to convert that over to wins and championships.

It is also the GM's job to hire the HC and be involved in the overall atmoshphere in which the team operates. You see FA's that can essentially go wherever they want stay with the team like the Kampman's and Jenkins'.
You see players willing to except extended contracts. Why? Because they believe in what the team is doing long term. They don't have to extend and if they thought the team wasn't going anywhere probably wouldn't.

The overall direction of a football team is not an easy task to manage. You have to install a plan and bring in the right coaches and the right players that believe in the plan in order for it to succeed.

So when someone shoots flippant statements out there that TT "sucks" with questionable reasoning at best your probably going to have to do better than that.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzzy, its just that you are so like another poster, forgive me for assuming that the same exact logic and responses to people who oppose you are just uncanny. That's right, uncanny.

whatever, man. I'm done with this retarded argument. Never should have jumped in and 'expressed my opinion' in the first place.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just throw out a few names...

TE Anthony Fasano
- Backup to Jason Witten. Brady Quinn's favorite target during his breakout sophomore season.

RB Reuben Droughns
- Average RB who excelled in zone-blocking scheme.

Members online

Latest posts