Thompson had worst 2011 & 2012 drafts in NFL

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we had this discussion before.

You can cut that any way you like, but a 30+ roster turnover and a 9 game swing in the won/loss record speaks for itself. He brought in a QB who could win games and by seasons end there were several starters out of the new 30 guys installed. There will be more this year.

Besides, he brought in Andy Reid as well...to get those Pro Bowlers to actually win games behind his new competent game manager QB.

Please try to look surprised at the end of the year when the Chiefs miss the playoffs.

BTW, Eric Fisher, Dorsey's first pick as GM and overall top pick of last year's draft, looks like
A huge disappointment.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please try to look surprised at the end of the year when the Chiefs miss the playoffs.

BTW, Eric Fisher, Dorsey's first pick as GM and overall top pick of last year's draft, looks like
A huge disappointment.

Do you think that will be viewed a few years from now as a very disappointing 1st round as a whole?

Im not much of a believer in drafting O linemen early in the draft, even more so when you already have a pretty talented O line.

D

Deleted member 6794

A huge disappointment.

Fisher has had to deal with a shoulder injury which has hampered his development.

Im not much of a believer in drafting O linemen early in the draft, even more so when you already have a pretty talented O line.

I read an article last week which pointed out that OL picked in the top 10 actually play and start more games on average that guys at any other position.

D

Deleted member 6794

In 2011, we got Cobb, House, and Taylor. Taylor is a really good ST's player, House is offering some solid depth, and Cobb is really good. And didn't we get a 7th rounder for Schlauderaff? I consider that a pretty good draft.

Cobb is an impact player, House and Taylor are role players only. I don't consider getting a 7th-round pick in return for Schlauderaff only five months after picking him in the sixth round a success. Of course we shouldn't forget about the horrific injury our first round pick in 2011 suffered, so we had some bad luck there as well.

In 2012, Perry, Hayward, Daniels, and Manning are still on the roster. The jury is out on Perry yet, but I'm not completely ready to give up on him like others are. Hayward is a stud IMO. Sure, he got hurt, but he won Defensive Rookie of the Month and was in the running for Rookie of the Year. The guy had 6 INT's and a FF on top of his 21 PASSES DEFENDED in 2012. 21!!!! Mike Daniels is looking to become a starter this year and has definitely taken a step. Manning provides some pretty solid depth IMO at ILB. We will also likely get something back for Worthy, although what exactly we get back is unknown. There have been rumors that it will be a 7th rounder if Worth makes the team, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't another way to raise the value of what we get much like with the Brett Favre trade.

First of all the Packers released Manning after last year's camp. Hayward and Daniels have turned out to be very good picks and while the jury may still be out on Perry Thompson should have never drafted him as it was obvious to everyone else that he doesn't want to play in a 3-4. Even if we get more than a 7th-rounder in return for Worthy (another player who wasn't a great fit for a 3-4) I wouldn't consider that a success as we didn't only pick him in the second round but usedanother fourth rounder to trade up to select him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read an article last week which pointed out that OL picked in the top 10 actually play and start more games on average that guys at any other position.

yeah that probably is true (no idea, havent seen your source but I will take your word on it), but the reason I am against selecting o line early is because they has little impact on the W L column of a bad team.

D

Deleted member 6794

yeah that probably is true (no idea, havent seen your source but I will take your word on it), but the reason I am against selecting o line early is because they has little impact on the W L column of a bad team.

I agree with that, but even for a bad team it's probably better to get a bookend tackle for the next ten years than to reach for a player at a skill position. Bad teams normally can't fill all of their holes in a single draft.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with that, but even for a bad team it's probably better to get a bookend tackle for the next ten years than to reach for a player at a skill position. Bad teams normally can't fill all of their holes in a single draft.

Joe Thomas, Browns

H

HardRightEdge

I don't pretend to be an astute NFL talent evaluator, but I wouldn't have drafted Dion Jordan
Or Fisher in the top 15 picks, let alone the top 2 picks.
Without judging Fisher one way or the other, historically OTs drafted in the first round have had the most success among all positions based on seasons played and games started.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Thompson gets credit for drafting Rodgers but as I've stated elsewhere, it's tough to separate how much of our success is due to Rodgers verse Thompson. It would be hard NOT to make the playoffs with Rodgers under center in a division as bad as the North has been recently (seriously, we went 2-5-1 down the stretch and STILL won the North).

Peyton Manning lead the Colts to the playoffs quite a bit but how good was the Colts GM at that time? I think, in hindsight, many would say that the Colts GM wasted much of Manning's prime.
The colts are a perfect example. The Colts were picking at the back of the draft for all of but two of the seasons Manning played there. you need to step back and look at the big historical picture to really realize what TT has done for this franchise. It is extremely difficult to get game changing talent when your picking in the high 20's to 30's year after year. He inherited an aging team that still had a great quarterback and an great running back a couple great OT's and some great but aging players on offence. You want to talk about a bad drafter, talk about Mike Sherman, that's the team Thompson inherited. many fans were really pissed off the Packers took Rodgers. This article pretty much tells the story of the 2005 draft
Thompson gets credit for drafting Rodgers but as I've stated elsewhere, it's tough to seperate how much of our success is due to Rodgers verse Thompson. It would be hard NOT to make the playoffs with Rodgers under center in a division as bad as the North has been recently (serisouly, we went 2-5-1 down the stretch and STILL won the North).

Peyton Manning lead the Colts to the playoffs quite a bit but how good was the Colts GM at that time? I think, in hindsight, many would say that the Colts GM wasted much of Manning's prime.
That's my point exactly. What spots were the Colts drafting from while they were winning nine straight division titles. There aren't no-brainer game changing players left when your drafting in the 20's and 30's and still he plucked AR an CM from way up there. Look at this from a historical perspective. TT left the packers and took a floundering franchise and turned it into a Superbowl team. When TT became GM of the Pack, he took over from Mike Sherman, who was an absolutely terrible drafter. TT took over an aging team with only a few great players on the roster. Farve, DD and Amhan Green along with two outstanding OT's kept us in contention year in and year out. He had to completely rebuild the roster and his way was thru the draft. That takes time. He was lucky Rodgers fell to 24 but you will remember he took alot of heat for that pick. As I said before the Pack had a tone of needs and QB was not one of them. This is a good article about TT and that draft the day after the draft http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/203119011.html.

Second TT has been Snakebit by injuries especially with his first rounders. He had to rebuild the offensive and defensive lines but his big guy first round picks have all had injury issues. Justin Harrell, Brian Bulaga, Derek Sherrod, Nick Perry, And last year Datone jones. All of those guys are still on the roster, we know how good BB is when playing healthy and we have seen flashes from the others, they can still become forces this year. He lost a probowl safety (those guys don't grow on trees in the second round) last year we had key player after key player out including the most important guy. Please don't try to hang the injury thing on TT, I don't believe he has a crystal ball in his office. And lets add two other great moves TT made, he brought in a very young little known offensive coordinator from the 9ers to be HC and then there was the FA hall of fame player. which I think he has hit on again.

There are only two other teams at the packers level, The 9'ers and the hawks and where have they been drafting the majority of the time since 2005. There are about 29 teams that would snatch up TT in a minute if he was available.

Personally and I don't mean this in an insulting way, anyone who has a gripe with TT has a sense of entitlement. You are most probably under 30 and have never had to live with a long term losing team. Thank your stars this team got TT back. The best is yet to come. If you still think TT sucks, then I got nothin else to say..

OP
OP
S

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The colts are a perfect example. The Colts were picking at the back of the draft for all of but two of the seasons Manning played there. you need to step back and look at the big historical picture to really realize what TT has done for this franchise. It is extremely difficult to get game changing talent when your picking in the high 20's to 30's year after year. He inherited an aging team that still had a great quarterback and an great running back a couple great OT's and some great but aging players on offence. You want to talk about a bad drafter, talk about Mike Sherman, that's the team Thompson inherited. many fans were really pissed off the Packers took Rodgers. This article pretty much tells the story of the 2005 draft

That's my point exactly. What spots were the Colts drafting from while they were winning nine straight division titles. There aren't no-brainer game changing players left when your drafting in the 20's and 30's and still he plucked AR an CM from way up there. Look at this from a historical perspective. TT left the packers and took a floundering franchise and turned it into a Superbowl team. When TT became GM of the Pack, he took over from Mike Sherman, who was an absolutely terrible drafter. TT took over an aging team with only a few great players on the roster. Farve, DD and Amhan Green along with two outstanding OT's kept us in contention year in and year out. He had to completely rebuild the roster and his way was thru the draft. That takes time. He was lucky Rodgers fell to 24 but you will remember he took alot of heat for that pick. As I said before the Pack had a tone of needs and QB was not one of them. This is a good article about TT and that draft the day after the draft http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/203119011.html.

Second TT has been Snakebit by injuries especially with his first rounders. He had to rebuild the offensive and defensive lines but his big guy first round picks have all had injury issues. Justin Harrell, Brian Bulaga, Derek Sherrod, Nick Perry, And last year Datone jones. All of those guys are still on the roster, we know how good BB is when playing healthy and we have seen flashes from the others, they can still become forces this year. He lost a probowl safety (those guys don't grow on trees in the second round) last year we had key player after key player out including the most important guy. Please don't try to hang the injury thing on TT, I don't believe he has a crystal ball in his office. And lets add two other great moves TT made, he brought in a very young little known offensive coordinator from the 9ers to be HC and then there was the FA hall of fame player. which I think he has hit on again.

There are only two other teams at the packers level, The 9'ers and the hawks and where have they been drafting the majority of the time since 2005. There are about 29 teams that would snatch up TT in a minute if he was available.

Personally and I don't mean this in an insulting way, anyone who has a gripe with TT has a sense of entitlement. You are most probably under 30 and have never had to live with a long term losing team. Thank your stars this team got TT back. The best is yet to come. If you still think TT sucks, then I got nothin else to say..

I'm sorry,I don't really see drafting late as an excuse. Great, we draft late, so we should just give up on winning the Super Bowl? Drafting late hasn't seemed to force the Patriots to be content with one-and-done playoff appearances.

Members online

Latest posts