This Team in a Nutshell

H

HardRightEdge

I'll leave it up to the Packers staff to make those kinds of decisions and trust they make the right ones.

Me too. I trust they'll make the right decisions by firing some people. The air has been thick with complacency.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This defense is much more healthy than the offense is, and our defense, honestly, is healthier this year than in years past.
This year, Dom can't use injuries as an excuse really, compared to usual.
While I agree for the most part, it's worth noting - key word, noting (not justifying) - that with such a porous offense, the defense was on the field a lot and they had good field position a lot. Again, this isn't justifying it b/c it was fricking terrible. But, I think the loss of Rodgers leading the offense on drives and flipping the field position has an impact on the defense.

H

HardRightEdge

My bad. Datone Jones was not inactive against Detroit. He was just invisible.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I will not join the rest of the Packers sheeple in calling for him to be fired until I see a perspective from the Packers which shows that he alone is to blame
By that standard no one would be fired. Rarely is one person alone entirely to blame. What if he’s "only" 95% to blame?
The only calls for him to be fired are coming from the fans and not the players or anyone else who actually goes and works for the Packers.
When was the last time you publicly advocated for the firing of your boss?
He calls the plays. If a player fails to execute on that play, then why blame the coach for that?
Because he is ultimately responsible, along with the assistant coaches, for getting the players to execute. If his assistants aren’t getting their job done, it’s up to him to advocate for their removal. And beyond the DC, of course the HC and GM bear responsibility.

Some are posting as if a coach’s only responsibility is drawing up Xs and Os. There’s more to it than that. They are also responsible for teaching the fundamentals and holding the players responsible for executing them. And of course pro players need to motivate themselves but that does not mean coaches bear no responsibility for motivating players and particularly on defense, for setting an aggressive tone.

Just curious, have you addressed Capers’ history of turning around Ds and then seeing them get progressively worse? He seems to be repeating that pattern in Green Bay - doesn't that concern you?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B.....have you addressed Capers’ history of turning around Ds and then seeing them get progressively worse? He seems to be repeating that pattern in Green Bay - doesn't that concern you?
He's probably not aware of that in Dom's history because it wasn't with the Packer organization.

There's a reason **** LeBeau has stayed with the Steelers for so long, decades, and also a reason Dom has bounced around so many times.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said in an earlier post, I will always appreciate Dom's contribution for the 2010 Super Bowl run, but it's time for him to go. He's had five years, and we've gotten one good year out of the defense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see what you're saying, but here's the problem: We've had 5 years of Capers, which means we've had 5 years of drafting players that are supposed to fit his scheme. Now after being shredded year after year, we can only blame the drafting or the coach. This team is not executing and you have to blame the coaching for that. The lack of tackling, the lack of fire, and the lack of discipline all falls on someone. You name it, but who ever is responsible has to go.

Are we conviently ignoring that one of those five years saw Capers build a defense that was the driving force behind our Super Bowl win? Or the fact that Thompson has gave Capers exactly zero starting caliber players in the 2011 draft, that of the four defensive players that looked good in 2012, only Daniels has been on the field consistently or that the 2013 draft has only supplied one player? So the past three drafts have added ONE good player to the defense, an OLB in Perry that's shown flashes but had his development hindered by missing more games than he's played and a first round rookie still trying to find his feet.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Round 1
  1. Houston (2-10)
  2. Jacksonville (3-9)
  3. St. Louis - from Washington (3-9)
  4. Atlanta (3-9)
  5. Tampa Bay (3-9)
  6. Minnesota (3-8-1)
  7. Cleveland (4-8)
  8. Oakland (4-8)