this is the official Driver thread

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was not a fan of the show either, and never bothered tuning in, but like it or not, his appearance and win is a positive for the team.
I think longtimefan is correct and Driver jersey sales go up.

I would bet not. How many people out there who don't follow football at all are going to spend $150 on a Driver jersey all of a sudden? I bet you could count them on one hand. How many people who are fans of other NFL teams are going to spend $150 on a Driver jersey? I would venture to say about zero. How many people who were already Packer fans are going to spend $150 on a Driver jersey? Probably about the same number that were going to buy a jersey anyway.

Thompson doesn't base his decisions on marketing. If he did, Favre would probably still be racking up that INT record.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merchandising benefits.
Approximately 40% of the team's revenue comes from marketing/Pro Shop.
Driver is now a national star, which is great from the Packers' standpoint of, to put it baldly, selling stuff.
They're not letting him go now, which runs counter to how Thompson has dealt w/many aging players in the past.
A question one could ask is: If he never appears on 'Dancing With The Stars', would they have dropped him by now?

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would bet not. How many people out there who don't follow football at all are going to spend $150 on a Driver jersey all of a sudden? I bet you could count them on one hand. How many people who are fans of other NFL teams are going to spend $150 on a Driver jersey? I would venture to say about zero. How many people who were already Packer fans are going to spend $150 on a Driver jersey? Probably about the same number that were going to buy a jersey anyway.

Thompson doesn't base his decisions on marketing. If he did, Favre would probably still be racking up that INT record.
Where did I say Thompson bases his decisions on marketing?
I said it could be a factor at play.
I agree with those who feel that in many respects, it doesn't make sense to keep Driver (of course at this point he has been afforded the opportunity to fight for a roster spot, no guarantees of being there for the first regular season game). We have two really strong younger receivers trying to make the team this year, and conceivably both could make good contributions on special teams. Driver does not. They could help the Packers (or some other teams) for years to come. Driver will not. When you are a 4th or 5th wide receiver, typically you better be a good special teams player. If you agree with all of that, and Driver ends up making the team, why would Thompson & Co. bring him on board again?
McCarthy is now making comments about the possibility of carrying six receivers, so a lot of this may be moot.
The presence of Driver won't boost sales of his jerseys and other things? Absolutely disagree with you. He has a type of national fame now that he never had before:
http://gazettextra.com/news/2012/may/27/drivers-profile-increases-after-winning-show/

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised too that the Mods don't abolish this type of forum spam.

"...it was just like somebody slapping me in the face." - Virgil Earp, Tombstone

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Longtimefan - Not entirely accurate. I read the forum, but not on a daily basis. I do participate in different forum threads beyond the ones I create. I've read the rules and understood that those that haven't been disciplined or warned before were ok to maintain status quo. I understand I'm not a veteran, if you will, to this site; but nonetheless, I've posted links before that were well received and created engaged discussions. I always monitor my posts, too, for further comments and follow-up when appropriate. I don't believe I'm a true spammer, if you will. I write the articles on our own blog - usually quite lengthy - and link them here when I think this community would enjoy them. To date, this is the first one that has had any negative feedback - and mostly just based on the lead-in language being "We all" when it was more appropriate to be "Many of us". I used "We all" b/c the Packers fans I communicate with on a regular basis all thought DD was on the outs. After all, it's TT's mantra to move on from the veterans to young players, particularly ones as talented and intriguing as what we have at the WR position.

Finally, for the existing DD thread, I didn't realize I could do that, and would have had I known. Lesson learned.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI

WE HAD 4 THREADS ON DRIVER, SO I MERGED ALL....AND WHEN ALL WERE MERGES THE SYSTEM AUTOMATICALLY TAKES THE VERY 1ST POST AND USES THAT AS THE ORIGINAL POST

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with someone earlier who said we should carry 6 WRs and 1 less TE than we had in the past.
Whether that's Crabtree, or just Quarless on PUP or IR, Tori Gurley has such a good future we can't lose him....

WTH, NFL Access is on and Warren Sapp is still on here???? :eek:

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with someone earlier who said we should carry 6 WRs and 1 less TE than we had in the past.
Whether that's Crabtree, or just Quarless on PUP or IR, Tori Gurley has such a good future we can't lose him....

WTH, NFL Access is on and Warren Sapp is still on here???? :eek:

Yeah, that was me and it only makes sense. The only twist is if both Gurley and Borel impress enough to keep them both on the roster. I'm guessing Gurley makes it and Dale Moss ends up on the practice squad with Borel the odd
man out.

Sorry for the bad news, but the NFL Network renewed Warren Sapp's contract for another year. SMH

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...rd-about-warren-sapp-returning/1#.T8gH3FKO3gc

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that was me and it only makes sense. The only twist is if both Gurley and Borel impress enough to keep them both on the roster. I'm guessing Gurley makes it and Dale Moss ends up on the practice squad with Borel the odd
man out.

Sorry for the bad news, but the NFL Network renewed Warren Sapp's contract for another year. SMH

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...rd-about-warren-sapp-returning/1#.T8gH3FKO3gc
Wow..... :sick: I can think of a few better options for the NFL Network than Sapp:

Terrell Davis (where'd he go?)
LeRoy Butler
Dorsey Levens
Sterling Sharpe
Don Majkowski
Sean Salisbury (yes)
Bobby Hebert
Anyone

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
People that spend huge money on Driver over an authentic jersey really, really must want to have that jersey. Would rather be less expensive and own a replica.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Where did I say Thompson bases his decisions on marketing?
I said it could be a factor at play.

I disagree. The Packers are always a leader in marketing sales. I don't think it factored into TT restructuring DD's contract at all. I think the purpose of the restructuring was to make it economically feasible to allow him to come back and compete for a spot on the roster. If he hadn't been willing to do that, he would likely have been cut already.

The presence of Driver won't boost sales of his jerseys and other things? Absolutely disagree with you.

The article you posted had nothing to do with jersey sales. It was about PR moves and media outlets attempting to gain from his dancing thing. I still don't see how you can realistically expect that his jersey sales are going to skyrocket because of a dance competition. In another week or two, it will be long forgotten in the fast-moving and superficial world of pop culture anyway.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Although it’s not “official” I was a little surprised to read Driver is receiving $500K of guaranteed money in a deal worth $2.5M for one season. I’m guessing it’s up to $2.5M including performance bonuses in case injuries increase his reps. Still, half-a-million probably cements his spot on the roster. I was hoping DD would accept nearer the vet minimum.

When asked about keeping 6 WRs, McCarthy said, “Our roster will be challenged as far as six receivers. That’s something you get into in training camp… Special teams will play a big part in which positions are heavier than others.” IMO that’s why TEs have been “over-weighted” on the roster recently: Their combination of size and speed come in handy on STs units. It could be the Packers will keep 6 WRs and one fewer TE, but I’m pretty sure that’s not how Thompson and McCarthy think about it. (If Quarless starts out on the PUP list, that may play a part in the number of TEs on the "final" 53.) It’s all about individual players at all positions and when you get to the end of the roster, STs contributions are an important factor incorporated into the decision. It’s obviously a balancing act if they have a player near the bottom of the 53 who isn’t particularly good on STs but has a big upside. Of course I hope the Packers don’t say goodbye to such a player because they kept DD.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curious as to what you knowledgable PackerBackers think is gonna happen with our beloved Donald.
It seems Teddy & the organization might be ready to turn the old pages this off-season of these guys.

I know Clifton & Collins were health-related sadly, and that Donald is fine.
But the team seemed like they were very intent on getting Tori Gurley, and perhaps Diondre Borel into the plans at WR as they kept the 2 from being signed off our practice squad last year by giving them more money to stay.

I know many people believe Gurley has a very bright future.

Ted always seems to favor the youth, be it Cullen Jenkins, Nick Barnett, whatever.
Seeing the door closed on Clifton and Collins makes me very sad. Collins makes me cryy-sad.
Donald will be even more tough to handle as he has 6 more years for us than Nick got.
But I am trying to brace myself in case my worries come true here.....

Why didn't we just repeat and let Donald retire a la Elway, sailing off into the sunset with B2B titles!
MM has said he might keep 6 WR's. I believe Gurley will make the team. If they keep Borel on the prac. squad he might go to another team to see if he can make theirs. I'm sure it's tough to separate the feelings side from the business side at times. Should DD make the team I believe this will be his last. When Driver does retire I'd like to see him as a WR coach or assnt. He'd be a great asset for these younger guys. He's a leader a seems to be a good role model.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Although it’s not “official” I was a little surprised to read Driver is receiving $500K of guaranteed money in a deal worth $2.5M for one season. I’m guessing it’s up to $2.5M including performance bonuses in case injuries increase his reps. Still, half-a-million probably cements his spot on the roster. I was hoping DD would accept nearer the vet minimum.

Maybe it isnt 2.5 but 1.5?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe it isnt 2.5 but 1.5?
That could be longtimefan. I had trouble finding details on the extension and used rotoworld, which says the source for their info is Andrew Brandt. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1748/donald-driver

Vltrophy,I understand the sentiment when fans hope players they love become assistant coaches. But the skills necessary to be a great player don’t necessarily translate into being even a good assistant coach. I think Kevin Greene and Edgar Bennett are the exceptions, not the rule. And even more important if I were the retiring player, assistant coaches have terrible working hours. Those jobs are definitely not 9-5 jobs and for someone who is (or should be) financially secure through several generations to come, the money won’t be a determining factor. My guess is Driver will devote his time to charitable work. If he wants to be involved with the Packers IMO it would make sense for him to do PR work – I can’t imagine a more ebullient ambassador for the Packers. And that wouldn’t be a full-time job.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

You can get a jersey for $80-90. I can see DD jersey spiking for about a month & then settle down

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That could be longtimefan. I had trouble finding details on the extension and used rotoworld, which says the source for their info is Andrew Brandt. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1748/donald-driver

Vltrophy,I understand the sentiment when fans hope players they love become assistant coaches. But the skills necessary to be a great player don’t necessarily translate into being even a good assistant coach. I think Kevin Greene and Edgar Bennett are the exceptions, not the rule. And even more important if I were the retiring player, assistant coaches have terrible working hours. Those jobs are definitely not 9-5 jobs and for someone who is (or should be) financially secure through several generations to come, the money won’t be a determining factor. My guess is Driver will devote his time to charitable work. If he wants to be involved with the Packers IMO it would make sense for him to do PR work – I can’t imagine a more ebullient ambassador for the Packers. And that wouldn’t be a full-time job.

That's Bart's job!

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD said on The Jim Rome Show(or whatever his radio telecast is called now) that he plans on playing 2 more years. 2 more!! what... no dd... please..

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the man is at 2% body fat now! he lost 3% and is now at the lowest body fat% you can get without putting yourself in serious danger. And I didn't think that man could get any skinnier!!!

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD said on The Jim Rome Show(or whatever his radio telecast is called now) that he plans on playing 2 more years. 2 more!! what... no dd... please..
I can see DD possibly making the team this yr but next year I'd give DD the choice of retiring or be cut. Better to leave a yr early than a yr late.

terriableterry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really believe Driver will re sign at some point before training camp...

He will then be given the chance to compete with the new WR on the roster...He still has skills, but will he be able to beat out some of the newer guys??

Packers will give him every chance to win a roster spot, it will be up to him to grab one.. I dont think they want to just release him...

FYI

WE HAD 4 THREADS ON DRIVER, SO I MERGED ALL....AND WHEN ALL WERE MERGES THE SYSTEM AUTOMATICALLY TAKES THE VERY 1ST POST AND USES THAT AS THE ORIGINAL POST
We should have dumped Driver

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as youth is TT's dearest love a team must have some veterans on its roster simply for stability and leadership unless the player is simply toast. Evidence 2008 when we had a very young team with potential that should have made the playoffs but choked by losing six games in crunch time. Another veteran or two on the squad could have made a difference. It is ironic but it appeared that the only Packer that was firing on all cylinders against the Giants in January was Driver. Like Jerry Rice he doesn't take a day off.

Members online

Latest posts