This is a BOMBSHELL!!!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oannes said:
As I said, I don't need to point out positives about Favre or Hawk. There are hundreds lined up here who can't wait to write something flattering about either.

It is balance to state things that others ignore or gloss over.

That kind of shows what you think of other people. You think people don't know Favre's flaws? Somehow you're "pointing out" something people don't already know? It's been talked about for quite some time. None of the "favre worshippers" as you call them are ignorant to the fact that he's made bad throws and dumb decisions on the football field. Is it only balance to view things as you view them? You've already "lost respect" for Favre so how do you have a balanced view of him?

I wanted to add my 2 cents as well.

EVERY QB who ever played the game had flaws. Let's look at the best of our lifetime (in no order):

Dan Marino - Great passer. Runs about as fast as my grandmother.

Joe Montana - One of the greatest leaders we've ever seen. He's like the reincarnation of General Patton. Had a weak arm.

Steve Young - One of the greatest all around QBs to ever play the game. Had something to prove and tried to do too much himself.

John Elway - Huge ego led him to be absolutely HORRIBLE in the big games. Check his SB stats, if you were too young to watch those SBs. He was horrid. The reason he won two is because he was surrounded by a good all around TEAM.

And of course our favorite, Brett Favre. With all his flaws, I still like what Hunter S Thompson said about Brett Favre -

"Never bet against Brett Favre."

There you have it. If you think there's ever been a perfect QB, I have a bridge to sell you.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There you have it. If you think there's ever been a perfect QB, I have a bridge to sell you.

Can you give some info on this bridge and possibly a starting price? I could really use a bridge these days... :rotflmao:

OP
OP
O

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan... I didn't say you were blaming Walker. I said the article said that and that is what drove me nuts. I'm not sure about the Favre comment?

Here's a portion of an MSNbc.com article where Brett, himself, talks about the play....

“Do I wish I had it back? Sure,” Favre said. “Do I wish I had a lot of passes back in my career? Yeah.”

Favre credited the Eagles with dooming the play from the start.

“They had the perfect blitz for the play we had called,” Favre said. “To say there was a miscommunication between Javon and I would be an understatement. He wasn’t wrong, and in some ways I wasn’t wrong. I’d thrown that pass to him numerous times where he jumps up and catches in traffic.

“I knew I had to get rid of it. You can say, ‘Throw it away,’ or something like that, but in three seconds you don’t have much time to make a decision. I made a decision and you live with it, but it really shouldn’t have come down to that to be honest with you.”

====Those are some interesting words from Brett. How it translates in my brain is this... Favre and Walker did do that play often, but not under a blitz scenario.... Brett was under the gun and decided to just heave and hope for the best. Javon realized it was a blitz and didn't run the route because there was no time for it develop with the pressure they were bringing. I think, and I'm clearly reaching here, that Brett had seen Javon bail him out so many times that he just thought he would be able to do it one more time. I had forgotten this play occurred on 1st down and was the very first play of our first offensive series.

Of note... I read a Seattle paper article claiming that Javon Walker "stutter stepped" the route. It didn't elaborate anymore than that. The thing that can't be argued is the trajectory was more of a punt than a pass and was ill advised to be thrown that way. I've seen hail mary end of the half lobs into the endzone that weren't rainbowed like that. Man, I hate rethinking some of those plays. It's hard to believe it wasn't that long ago we were knocking on the door to to a championship. I truly think we'd have beaten Carolina and played a heckuva game vs. New England.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for finding it..That is the same artcile I think I was refering to..

cuz this is the quote I was talking about

"“They had the perfect blitz for the play we had called,” Favre said. “To say there was a miscommunication between Javon and I would be an understatement. He wasn’t wrong, and in some ways I wasn’t wrong. I’d thrown that pass to him numerous times where he jumps up and catches in traffic."

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“Do I wish I had it back? Sure,” Favre said. “Do I wish I had a lot of passes back in my career? Yeah.”

Favre credited the Eagles with dooming the play from the start.

“They had the perfect blitz for the play we had called,” Favre said. “To say there was a miscommunication between Javon and I would be an understatement. He wasn’t wrong, and in some ways I wasn’t wrong. I’d thrown that pass to him numerous times where he jumps up and catches in traffic.

“I knew I had to get rid of it. You can say, ‘Throw it away,’ or something like that, but in three seconds you don’t have much time to make a decision. I made a decision and you live with it, but it really shouldn’t have come down to that to be honest with you.”

The way I look at this article is that Favre takes more blame for it and he should. It was a bad pass and a bad decision. I think it was a bad miscomunication on their part, but Favre made the throw.

====Those are some interesting words from Brett. How it translates in my brain is this... Favre and Walker did do that play often, but not under a blitz scenario.... Brett was under the gun and decided to just heave and hope for the best. Javon realized it was a blitz and didn't run the route because there was no time for it develop with the pressure they were bringing. I think, and I'm clearly reaching here, that Brett had seen Javon bail him out so many times that he just thought he would be able to do it one more time. I had forgotten this play occurred on 1st down and was the very first play of our first offensive series.

I don't think you are reaching with that comment, but I wouldn't call it "bail out" because I don't think Favre just does it out of desperation. I think he has a "sandlot" football attitude and does it because it's fun. In fact on Favres DVD from his book "4" he says when he used to play sandlot football there would be 3 guys open and one guy completely covered and he would still throw to that 4th guy because it was more fun and more of a challenge. This mentality has obviously gotten him in trouble in the game, but based on his mentality towards the game I wouldn't call it a "bail out" IMO.

One reason your comment, though, in essence isn't a reach is because Favre verifies it in the article with the "jumped up and catch it in traffic during practice" statement.

OP
OP
O

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice catch, Cory. I noticed he did say that he jumped up and caught in in traffic but didn't register it like you did. Javon Walker was a stud. Man, I miss that guys ability on the field and I bet Brett does too.

Oh, how fun to re-live that game. I actually turned off the TV before Akers kicked the ball hoping to turn it back on to find he blew it. I should've left the TV off. I still don't think I've ever seen that ball go through the uprights and don't want to.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice catch, Cory. I noticed he did say that he jumped up and caught in in traffic but didn't register it like you did. Javon Walker was a stud. Man, I miss that guys ability on the field and I bet Brett does too.

Oh, how fun to re-live that game. I actually turned off the TV before Akers kicked the ball hoping to turn it back on to find he blew it. I should've left the TV off. I still don't think I've ever seen that ball go through the uprights and don't want to.

I agree I would love to have Walker back as well. Doesn't seem like he and Driver are on good terms anymore based on Drivers "you gotta do it for more than one year" comment regarding Walkers contract situation at the time.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Oannes said:

I agree I would love to have Walker back as well. Doesn't seem like he and Driver are on good terms anymore based on Drivers "you gotta do it for more than one year" comment regarding Walkers contract situation at the time.

Its true, he does have to. I think he did well last year. Javon is still my favorite WR even though I'm disappointed in him as a person. I think he could have handled his stay at GB more maturely. With millions of dollars and youth, you're bound to have issues though.

Members online