The worst Packer starter is...

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds about right.

I would kill to be the worst starter on an NFL/NHL team, so nothing to be ashamed of honestly.

jamie97520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My friends gave me some grief last year saying that AJ Hawk was a bust and not good enough to playing as many downs as he does, what do you guys think?
I think James Jones entered himself into this discussion with some of his drops.
Darynn Colledge.......TRUE THAT!

So...Beggers can be choosers?!

Jamie
Twitter - j_h_stewart

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
My friends gave me some grief last year saying that AJ Hawk was a bust and not good enough to playing as many downs as he does, what do you guys think?
I think James Jones entered himself into this discussion with some of his drops.

Jamie
Twitter - j_h_stewart

I don't think Hawk has been as good as you want a number five overall pick to be, but I think he has been very solid. I thought he played really really well the second half of last season and definitely in the playoffs. He has room for improvement but definitely not the worst starter on the Packers. Has to be Colledge as I really wouldn't consider James Jones, a "starter." (Lets not get into a fight about the definition of "starter") :happy0005:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jamie
Twitter - j_h_stewart
As allouez said, Hawk isn't a pro bowler but he's a good starter. He led the team in tackles and led all LBs in picks, plus his greatest asset is his recognition and communication skills. There weren't as many breakdowns in coverage last year as there was in 09 (true, another year in the system influenced a lot).

As for JJ, he had some stupid, stupid drops, but he also had some amazing catches, against PHI and ATL he made great TD catches.

As for Colledge, watch the DET game. When he went down, our OL got lost. True, Lang was rushed into the position. I think he definitely improved his game last year, but he's not a strength of the team.

IMHO the weakest starter was between the OLB (we had 3 guys starting at different times) and Peprah. Peprah was a huge liability in coverage sometimes, he gave up the game against WAS, and if it wasn't for Big Ben's innacuracy, would've given up a TD in the SB. But that's the flaw in his game, the deep coverage, when he plays near the LOS he's very good.

And the OLBs, they all have their pros and cons. Jones is good in coverage and is a good pass rusher but he's not good against the run. Zombo is good setting the edge but doesn't bring much in pass rush. Walden is the best pass rusher of the bunch but doesn't do a good job against the run nor in coverage.
I don't think Hawk has been as good as you want a number five overall pick to be, but I think he has been very solid. I thought he played really really well the second half of last season and definitely in the playoffs. He has room for improvement but definitely not the worst starter on the Packers. Has to be Colledge as I really wouldn't consider James Jones, a "starter." (Lets not get into a fight about the definition of "starter") :happy0005:
Let's not ;)

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
We really don't have any bad starters to speak of. I could get on board with it being Peprah, but again I dont' really consider him a starter because he is filling in for an injured player.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Colledge, watch the DET game. When he went down, our OL got lost. True, Lang was rushed into the position. I think he definitely improved his game last year, but he's not a strength of the team.

This. I'm not a fan of Colledge and would like to see a better guard out there, but don't be in too big of a hurry to replace him. Hell, his replacement might be worse.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This. I'm not a fan of Colledge and would like to see a better guard out there, but don't be in too big of a hurry to replace him. Hell, his replacement might be worse.
Last guys we tried to replace was Tauscher and Wells. Because they weren't big enough in the running game. The result was Spitz and Barbre...

Let's make sure that Lang is ready before we toss him out there.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This. I'm not a fan of Colledge and would like to see a better guard out there, but don't be in too big of a hurry to replace him. Hell, his replacement might be worse

Very true. He's not awful. But we're discussing who the worst starter is on the Super Bowl Championship team, not who the worst starter on the Redskins, Cardinals, Bengals, or Vikings. Our worst starters are still pretty decent. I'm not saying there is a viable replacement for him, just that he is, in my opinion, the worst starter on the Super Bowl championship team.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No team can start pro bowlers or even above average starters at each position so whenever I evaluate the Packers' roster, one of the questions I ask is, 'Is so-and-so good enough to win a title with?' One can argue Zombo and the other players who started opposite Clay didn't play the entire season and players like Jackson may not have been good enough as a starter all season and post season to win it all with him getting most of the snaps at RB. However, with regard to Colledge there is no caveat: He is a good enough LG to win a title. Having said that what drives me nuts about him is his inconsistency. He'll have very good games and then he'll "forget" to stay low on a QB sneak at the goal line.

Thompson has other questions to ask about Colledge: How much cap space and money should be allocated to LG? Is Colledge worth what he'll likely get in free agency? Is it likely there is an adequate replacement for him on the roster? I think the answers to those questions means Daryn will be playing elsewhere. And even though he is a good enough LG to win it all with, and there's no guarantee his replacement will be, I don't think the Packers can afford to overspend on Colledge with a stud like Sitton needing to be extended, as well as other, more important players who will soon need to be extended.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
according to PFF Zombo is the worst player on defense and Bulaga is the worst on offense.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga struggles so much early on, that is deserving, but his play later on was good. He got A LOT better later in the season, but early on his play was Barbre-like.

He got high marks for the playoffs against ATL and CHI but had a low mark for the SB. Then again he did have his hands full.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
'Is so-and-so (Colledge) good enough to win a title with?'

He is a good enough LG to win a title

OK, fair question, but I think you at least need to note that, escpecially on the offensive line, you have to look at the guys around him. Colledge obviously was good enough to win a championship but you've got perennial Pro-Bowler Clifton on one side, Wells on the other (who had his best season ever). Colledge is good enough to win with when he plays beside Clifton and Wells.

Trent Dilfer, who played the most important position on the team, was good enough to win a championship with. Yet, he was one of the "worst" starters on that team. The rest of the team was good enough to cover for him. I know where you're going with the question, but that question needs to be put in perspective.

"Is so-and-so good enough to win a championship?"
Well, that depends on who else is on the team.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree bozz 2006 – the OL functions as a unit so the players are dependent upon each other. But I’ve read and heard Packers fans’ reviews of Colledge before the 2010 season that questioned whether or not he belonged in the league, let alone be good enough to start on a championship team. BTW, I also agree Wells had his best season. I think Colledge did too.

I don’t think the Packers could have plugged in just anyone at LG. PackersRS brings up a player that makes that point at a different position. I disagree Bulaga was “Barbre-like” early in the season. Bulaga struggled but Barbre was HORRIBLE and dangerous to the health of the QB. After reading/hearing how high they were on Barbre I was shocked at how bad he was.

Even on a championship team, someone is the “worst” starter. But IMO an objective observer wouldn’t label the 2011 version of Daryn Colledge as that player.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw this and thought it was awesome
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdmSEJ48TM]‪Jarrett Bush teaching you how to Dougie at Super Bowl 45‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree bozz 2006 – the OL functions as a unit so the players are dependent upon each other. But I’ve read and heard Packers fans’ reviews of Colledge before the 2010 season that questioned whether or not he belonged in the league, let alone be good enough to start on a championship team. BTW, I also agree Wells had his best season. I think Colledge did too.

I don’t think the Packers could have plugged in just anyone at LG. PackersRS brings up a player that makes that point at a different position. I disagree Bulaga was “Barbre-like” early in the season. Bulaga struggled but Barbre was HORRIBLE and dangerous to the health of the QB. After reading/hearing how high they were on Barbre I was shocked at how bad he was.

Even on a championship team, someone is the “worst” starter. But IMO an objective observer wouldn’t label the 2011 version of Daryn Colledge as that player.

It's debatable. When I made my initial post that "any answer other than 'Colledge' was a wrong answer", it was tongue in cheek. In all honesty, my vote would probably be Zombo. But the list gets complicated by how many injuries there were to starters. Do we count Walden? Anthony Smith? Peprah? Those guys all started at least one game, didn't they?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's debatable. When I made my initial post that "any answer other than 'Colledge' was a wrong answer", it was tongue in cheek. In all honesty, my vote would probably be Zombo. But the list gets complicated by how many injuries there were to starters. Do we count Walden? Anthony Smith? Peprah? Those guys all started at least one game, didn't they?
The Packers had close to 30 "official" starters last year...

Members online

Latest posts