The Wide Receivers : Where do we stand now !!!

• Thread starter I_am_smoked_cheddar
  • Start date
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

With the loss of Jennings, Driver, and Nelsons surgery, where do we stand with WR's.
Who will begin to stand out ?
How is Cobb really doing ?
Can Finley step up to the challenge at TE ?
Who is the Deep Threat ?

GoPacGo !!!

Munny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We stand anywhere between 6-10 to 9-7... We still have the same DC and our best offensive weapons are slightly above average at best (returning players). This is the first season in a LOOOONG time that I am not excited about. I hope I am wrong, but IMO we did not improve our talent pool as much as our division opponents have.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1 Jones
#2 Jordy
#3 Cobber
#4 Boykin
#5 ????
#6 ???

That kid from Illiois state looks good. I like Omarious hines because he is strong, can catch, can block and will be a special teams beast. Johnson might as well go in IR.

LeoInShawano

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We stand anywhere between 6-10 to 9-7... We still have the same DC and our best offensive weapons are slightly above average at best (returning players). This is the first season in a LOOOONG time that I am not excited about. I hope I am wrong, but IMO we did not improve our talent pool as much as our division opponents have.
Really ??? Are you one of those SIGN (insert FA whose name you recognize ) NOW kinda guys ?

LeoInShawano

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1 Jones
#2 Jordy
#3 Cobber
#4 Boykin
#5 ????
#6 ???

That kid from Illiois state looks good. I like Omarious hines because he is strong, can catch, can block and will be a special teams beast. Johnson might as well go in IR.
Ty Walker. Kind of a Wes Welker type. I think he has a good shot

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson, Jones and Cobb are locks. Boykin most likely makes it as well, and probably is nr.4 WR. Ross disapoints as receiver, but is a great special teams player (gunner and returner), so I guess he makes the 53 on special teams.

I think Walker also makes the 53, since he impresses as receiver both in camp and versus Arizona. His main competitors are probably Gilett and White. Gilett had a decent game versus Arizone, and plays nice in camp. White was impressive during OTA's but seems to have disappeared. If he wants to make it, he needs to step up. I don't see Hines making the 53, since he isn't much of receiver. If he wants to makes the 53, he needs to win the return job.

Johnson and Dorsey are question marks right now. They need to get healthy first.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was really hoping Charles Johnson was going to pan out. Not to say he won't, but I haven't heard anything new about his injury. To me this means he's probably not going to contribute this year. It's a shame because he looks so good on paper ;)

It's too early to tell, but I think Ty Walker will make the team. I was hoping for someone bigger and stronger to make the team. We need a big strong physical receiver on this team.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a shame because he looks so good on paper

He does look good on paper. But it will be hard to make the 53. Last thing I read was from Grand Rapids Press: "Johnson said he still lacks the range of motion in the knee joint to return to practice. He said he ran Tuesday, but did not have a timetable on his return." Doesn't sound like he will return soon. We will see. He probably makes the practice squad (if he is healthy soon enough), or gets another shot in camp next year (if he goes to IR).

At least our receiving core looks solid for 2013. We need guys long term though. Jones is in contract year, and is aging anyway, so I am not sure whether Thompson will keep him in town next year (I hope he will). Therefore I feel that it is likely that Thompson spends a high pick on a receiver next year. Also, the young guys have a lot to prove this year.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's too early to tell, but I think Ty Walker will make the team. I was hoping for someone bigger and stronger to make the team. We need a big strong physical receiver on this team.

Since when? Nelson was our biggest guy when we won the SB. Why do we need anyone bigger?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Care to elaborate?
I just got a vibe from him during the scrimmage and the game. His returns looked soft and he looked lazy on them. He gave me the vibe that he was just going through the motions because it was the pre season. I don't think he has earned the right to do that quite yet.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm..I didn't see that but perhaps I was mistaken.
I watched it on a choppy feed so i could have misinterpreted him. When he was in at WR i thought he was decent. I guess I was expecting him to really pop and he didn't on his returns.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since when? Nelson was our biggest guy when we won the SB. Why do we need anyone bigger?

Ok, Ok... Maybe not need, but want. There's no doubt what Nelson's size brings to the table. Could you imagine someone like Demaryius Thomas on this team. I just think the jump ball would be so much easier. I mean height definitely helps Jordy.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, Ok... Maybe not need, but want. There's no doubt what Nelson's size brings to the table. Could you imagine someone like Demaryius Thomas on this team. I just think the jump ball would be so much easier. I mean height definitely helps Jordy.
Size is great but it must include athleticism. Generally, 1" of height equates to 3" of vertical. Those guy don't really grow on trees.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
........Could you imagine someone like Demaryius Thomas on this team....
Isn't Jordy about the same size as Thomas? Just less tan?

TYRONE WALKER:
Walker has taken advantage of all the injuries at receiver to begin taking snaps with the No. 1 offense, and he followed up his five-catch night last Friday with a few more catches in team drills.

“He’s got strong hands, he’s a quick little dude, he’s got some nastiness to him. He’s not going to let anybody push him around,” veteran receiver James Jones
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
said of Walker, who is listed at 5-10, 191. “He’s not 4.3 but he’s fast enough to get behind you. He just plays with a lot of confidence.

“He comes back to the ball, sticks his hands out, catches the ball well. I’m excited to see how he’s going to perform on Saturday again. One game doesn’t define you.”

Brett Favre 4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is about to have a breakout season and Boykin is going to turn a lot of heads this year. As for Jordy, he best return to his 2011 form because he took a step back last year.

H

HardRightEdge

I just got a vibe from him during the scrimmage and the game. His returns looked soft and he looked lazy on them. He gave me he vibe that he was just going through the motions because it was the pre season. I don't think he has earned the right to do that quite yet.

I don't think Ross is lazy. I think he is tentative. And he doesn't have much quickness in his first few steps. Not all 4.45 times are created equal...there's quickness, there's short speed and then there's long speed. Punt returners need to get some giddyup in their getalong right quick to sidestep, get around or burst through the first wave. If he can't do that, long speed is irrelevant.

Tentativeness is a killer and you can't coach it away. Catch, decide, go...right now. There isn't any other way. Only the very best can decide wrong, change course and make something out of it.

Maybe they should try the kid Walker back there. He's got hands, some quickness and looked pretty fearless running over the middle. He doesn't have the long speed, but beggars can't be choosers...solid 5, 10, 15 yard returns with no fumbles does the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don't worry, you're wrong.

Is it possible that we could go somewhere between 6-10 and 9-7? Sure, it's possible, it's a short season and any number of things can turn the tide and go right or wrong. Is it likely? Well, we haven't gone worse than 10-6 since 2008, so no, it's not. Our improvements are just fine in relation to our division opponents, unless you are one that thinks that "signing big name free agents" = improvement. Sorry to hear that you are not excited about the season, that takes most of the fun out of it quite frankly.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Ross is lazy. I think he is tentative. And he doesn't have much quickness in his first few steps. Not all 4.45 times are created equal...there's quickness, there's short speed and then there's long speed. Punt returners need to get some giddyup in their getalong right quick to sidestep, get around or burst through the first wave. If he can't do that, long speed is irrelevant.

That's exactly what he showed last year. What makes you think he can't do the same this year?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Cobb is about to have a breakout season and Boykin is going to turn a lot of heads this year. As for Jordy, he best return to his 2011 form because he took a step back last year.

I can agree with the cobb statement, but Bokin just does not impess me. Several times last season wth his limited role, he looked a tad bit lost in the woods and didn't show me anything special. Nelson didn't take a step back, he was nagged by injury Hopefully that was solved with that minor surgery he just had, we need him back for his ability to be a deep threat.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't Jordy about the same size as Thomas? Just less tan?

TYRONE WALKER:
Walker has taken advantage of all the injuries at receiver to begin taking snaps with the No. 1 offense, and he followed up his five-catch night last Friday with a few more catches in team drills.

“He’s got strong hands, he’s a quick little dude, he’s got some nastiness to him. He’s not going to let anybody push him around,” veteran receiver James Jones
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
said of Walker, who is listed at 5-10, 191. “He’s not 4.3 but he’s fast enough to get behind you. He just plays with a lot of confidence.

“He comes back to the ball, sticks his hands out, catches the ball well. I’m excited to see how he’s going to perform on Saturday again. One game doesn’t define you.”

Thomas is an inch taller and he's heavier with more muscle. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Jordy Nelson, I just don't think he's as physical as Thomas.

Members online

Latest posts