the second half

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is so much BETTER at adjusting at halftime then the last guy we had it's not funny.

This week he figures out Peterson who torched us in the first half.

Just thought I would bring this up. I've heard a small bit from some here on this from time to time but but this guy just doesn't let opposing coaches get the best of him in the second half.

This has to be great for the players when they know what he says at halftime is on the money and what they need to do will work.

You win or lose in this league in the second half and he's damn good there for sure.

TexasPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be the key when we play Dallas. The Cowboys seem to come out firing in the 2nd half so MM needs to be able to adjust a little more on the fly in the 2nd half come November. It will be a shootout for sure. I just hope we can develop our run game before then to really have a shot at beat them.

But right now I'm really liking what MM is doing in the 2nd half. He's really been awesome dating back to the end of last season. He's been able to take a young team of guys most people have never heard of and turn them into real contenders in a little over a year. As I've said many times. We need a running game to really be taken serious.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is so much BETTER at adjusting at halftime then the last guy we had it's not funny.

Just thought I would bring this up. I've heard a small bit from some here on this from time to time but but this guy just doesn't let opposing coaches get the best of him in the second half.

This has to be great for the players when they know what he says at halftime is on the money and what they need to do will work.

You win or lose in this league in the second half and he's damn good there for sure.

I agree, it seemed that Sherman got worse when the second half started sometimes.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd hardly say he figured AP out in the second half (unless he used the Jedi Mind Trick on Mr. Burns getting him to give AP only two touches outside of special teams in the second half).

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only think Sherman adjusted at half-time was his fat pants.

It may just be that we're overly enjoying a coach who does make game adjustments during the game, because it's been so long since we've seen it. I too am enjoying it.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

I'd hardly say he figured AP out in the second half (unless he used the Jedi Mind Trick on Mr. Burns getting him to give AP only two touches outside of special teams in the second half).

The force is strong with this one

Reaction score

:rotflmao: Jedi Mind Trick on Mr. Burns... classic!

But I agree with you, I think Chidlress's stupidity was the reason why our D kept AP in check more so than any adjustments McCarthy made.

To add, I was disappointed by the way McCarthy chose to end out the game. We got the ball back inside two minutes with the Vikes out of timeouts. Instead of simply kneeling, we tried to run and turned the ball over.

Fortunately the Vikings are a bad team made even worse with their coaching and couldn't capitalize on that opportunity.

I expect McCarthy to not make the same mistake again (indeed next series he had Brett take a knee), but I have to wonder what on earth was McCarthy thinking by trying to run the ball inside two minutes when the other team had no timeouts left.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
warhawk said:

The force is strong with this one

Sometimes the adjustments you make changes what the other team does.
I would have to say after Peterson ran like he did in the first half there was something that they saw to deter it in the second half.

There's usually more to it than the HC just being stupid.

Reaction score
Normally I would agree warhawk, but it's been a common trend for the Vikings to go away from AP in the second half.

I just think at a time when the game is on the line, you would want to give it to your best player. The Vikings didn't even have their best player in the game in critical situations.

I just can't see GB adjusting so drastically that it'd scare Childress from even sending AP on to the field on most first and second downs. At the very least, the play action becomes more real with AP back there, and Holcomb could have used all the help possible the way he played.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

But I agree with you, I think Chidlress's stupidity was the reason why our D kept AP in check more so than any adjustments McCarthy made.

To add, I was disappointed by the way McCarthy chose to end out the game. We got the ball back inside two minutes with the Vikes out of timeouts. Instead of simply kneeling, we tried to run and turned the ball over.

Fortunately the Vikings are a bad team made even worse with their coaching and couldn't capitalize on that opportunity.

I expect McCarthy to not make the same mistake again (indeed next series he had Brett take a knee), but I have to wonder what on earth was McCarthy thinking by trying to run the ball inside two minutes when the other team had no timeouts left.

I think they had 2 timeouts left. Definitely 1.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly won't profess to be a Viking expert or do I know their tendencies. I do know we win the second half and particularly late in the game when it's critical.

Second half adjustments are a huge part of coaching and a big reason many games are won from the sidelines. I know I watched the Packers get beat in the fourth quarter for many years and picked up on the fact the opposing HC's had us figured out better than we figured them out.

I sense we have the upper hand in the fourth quarter on the sidelines and more prepared to win late in the game.

When you see a situation where it's an important time in the game and you can tell by the play that was called that they had that one in the pocket and new it would work you pretty much see they have a bead on it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

They had a timeout left. By taking a knee, the Packers could not have run out the clock. I'm guessing they would've had to punt with about 30 seconds left.

Handoffs are standard practice in that situation, because they use up a few more seconds on each play, and if you get one first down the game is over and you can then start kneeling.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly don't blame MM for the fumble at the end. It's 101 football. Hand it off. Hold onto it. Go home.

The point of this thread as it relates to the Vikes game is we put this game away on the drive ending with Jones' TD catch. A classic pump fake out and go.

That was a great drive that should have put the Vikes away at 23 to 9. The balance wasn't text book because the execution wasn't there but he definately one-upped Childress and he's done that in pretty much every game so far.

For a young coach with a young team it's pretty impressive.