The running game

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
:icon_lol:

I actually think it's a testament to how great Ted's been that we're not 3-8 right now, given all the injuries.
Agreed, I have nothing wrong with TT, in fact I praise him for where we are right now with all of our injuries. If RB is the only position that we're really suffering at with this many injuries, then he's done something right. But yeah, our running game is not getting the job done.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol. 13 players on IR an it's the GM's fault?

And what about next year? What if he gets a big name FA, doesn't have the money to re-sign one of his own? Have you thought about that? Guess no.

If you're just interested in contending for this year, go take a look at what happened to the Vikings, and then you tell me if it's a good idea to plan for now...

Yeah, most people don't. It's all about now, today. Fans want a championship now, regardless of what it costs them tomorrow.

The funny thing is these same fans will become overly critical and complain and call for the firings of everyone when the team inevitably winds up with seasons of futility thanks to a lack of draft picks.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing to remember about our running game- We're not a running team.

I don't know how to make that any more clear.

We're not a running team.

Again, we're not a running team.

Say it with me: "We're not a running team."

Mike McCarthy isn't a run-first coach, and this isn't a run-first offense. As long as our running game can be semi-productive, we're golden.

I know we had a hard time running against Atlanta. I still believe that was more a product of a weak O-Line than it was a lack of talent in our backs, but whatever, we had a hard time running. I get it. Other than scheme better, there's nothing we can do about it at this point. And no, we don't need to waste draft picks for DeAngelo Williams or someone else's top feature back. It's pointless in this offense, as we're not a running team.

Question- If we won that game, would people still be whining about our running production? My guess is no.

Another question- How different would this game have been had we still had Finley and Grant?

BTW, our lack of running production isn't why we lost that game. I seem to recall a crucial fumble in the red zone that cost of points, along with a failure of special teams to make a stop playing crucial roles in our losing the to best team in the NFL.

dgreen1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we bench Jackson and put in Starks to start with, or even give Nance an opportunity.

The problem I see with TT is we will be in the same position next year. Ted with draft an untested NFL running back and not spend any money on a ready proven back. By the time we find a good running back the rest of the team will be old..

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

That's great.

New Orleans was an 8-8 team the year Brees threw for 5,000 yards. Then they bring in Pierre Thomas and Mike Bell who combine for 1300 rushing yards and they end up winning it all.

Pittsburgh had a strong running game in '08.

The Giants had a strong running game back in '07.

Indy had a 1000 yard rusher the year they won the Super Bowl.

The Pats had Corey Dillon running well when they won Super Bowls.

No team has won the Super Bowl recently and been this terrible at running the football.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mike McCarthy isn't a run-first coach, and this isn't a run-first offense. As long as our running game can be semi-productive, we're golden.

I know we had a hard time running against Atlanta. I still believe that was more a product of a weak O-Line than it was a lack of talent in our backs, but whatever, we had a hard time running. I get it. Other than scheme better, there's nothing we can do about it at this point. And no, we don't need to waste draft picks for DeAngelo Williams or someone else's top feature back. It's pointless in this offense, as we're not a running team.

Question- If we won that game, would people still be whining about our running production? My guess is no.

Another question- How different would this game have been had we still had Finley and Grant?

BTW, our lack of running production isn't why we lost that game. I seem to recall a crucial fumble in the red zone that cost of points, along with a failure of special teams to make a stop playing crucial roles in our losing the to best team in the NFL.

Amen! Even if we drafted those blessed 6 running backs that we will never have, the probability of using even 1 of them on a frequent basis is slim. It just doesn't happen under our current doctrine. West Coast Offense. Sigh, I'll keep looking longingly at all those wonderful running backs with no hope at all.

dgreen1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also keep hearing everyone talk about Finley, "If we had Finley this and "If we had Finley that". Dont get me wrong I like Finley and he has definitely helped our team but when Jennings had his break away season, there was no talk about Finley. Then this year all we heard about was Finley, and Jennings numbers went way down because he didn't get as many opportunities because the ball was only going to Finley.

Reaction score
To everyone who jumped right back on the Ted Thompson Band Wagon. I will admit he did a decent job with our Patch-Work defense and offense. BUT WE DONT HAVE A RUNNING GAME!

Teds inability to address our running game could ultimately cost the Packer Nation a great run in the playoffs if we make it. With alot of our plays being based off of play action pass, when teams know we don't have a running game we wont be fooling anyone but ourselves.

Brandon Jackson has had enough time to show us that he isnt the right running back for the packers much less any team in the NFL. Honestly Im not even sure Ryan Grant is the right man for the job. The packers need an agile back than can make plays even when the offensive line isint doing their job every time.

Thats my Rant! Thank You

Yah It's definitely Ted Thompsons fault. As far as i know it we are still 7-4 with out this running game, and yes ryan grant is not the right man for the job because he only had a 1200 yards for the past two years with a ****** O line. Unless we have a 2000 yard rusher you will never be satisfied will you? One loss and every one is panicking. Settle down we are 7-4 as i said and can still win the division or get in as a wild card. If we win that game u never post this thread i guarantee it.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we bench Jackson and put in Starks to start with, or even give Nance an opportunity.

Sorry, this is just stupid. You don't start a guy who hasn't played a friggin game in two years. You just don't.

Again, I still contend our O-Line did a horrible job run blocking. While Jackson isn't that great a back, even the great ones would have a hell of a time running when there's three defenders in the backfield consistently on running plays.

The problem I see with TT is we will be in the same position next year. Ted with draft an untested NFL running back and not spend any money on a ready proven back. By the time we find a good running back the rest of the team will be old..

Why does he NEED to throw draft picks at a proven back? We have 4 RB's on the roster now, why do we need another? Do you not think the two rookies we have are capable of improving?

And how are we going to be in the same position next year? I mean, Grant is returning, plus Nance and Starks will have a second year in the program and will get to go through training camp and pre-season. Not sure how that automatically means we're going to have issues running the ball.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also keep hearing everyone talk about Finley, "If we had Finley this and "If we had Finley that". Dont get me wrong I like Finley and he has definitely helped our team but when Jennings had his break away season, there was no talk about Finley. Then this year all we heard about was Finley, and Jennings numbers went way down because he didn't get as many opportunities because the ball was only going to Finley.

The only reason I threw out Finley's name is because he poses matchup problems for those 3rd and 4th and 1 situations. He brings us a lot more options, since he has to be covered, possibly even double covered.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's great.

New Orleans was an 8-8 team the year Brees threw for 5,000 yards. Then they bring in Pierre Thomas and Mike Bell who combine for 1300 rushing yards and they end up winning it all.

Pittsburgh had a strong running game in '08.

The Giants had a strong running game back in '07.

Indy had a 1000 yard rusher the year they won the Super Bowl.

The Pats had Corey Dillon running well when they won Super Bowls.

No team has won the Super Bowl recently and been this terrible at running the football.

Bullsh*t. We've had this debate ad-nauseum ever since Grant went down. Spare me the "Must have super deluxe high performance run game if we want to win" nonsense.

The 2008 Steelers were ranked 23 in rushing. That is NOT a great running game. Their Super Bowl opponents, the Cardinals, were #32.

2007- Giants were 4th in rushing. Patriots were 13.

2009- Saints were 6th. Colts = #32. BTW, in that super bowl win, NO's top rusher ran for 33 friggin yards. Indy's went for 77. NO's second leading rusher went for 25 yards rushing, for a total of 78 yards on the ground between the two. Yup, running the ball sure had an impact in their winning the Super Bowl!

Their run game didn't even play that big a role in the NFC Championship game. They did pick up a lot of yards in the divisional game, but that's what happens when you blow out an opponent.

It simply DOES NOT MATTER. You can go back and look at every Super Bowl champion for the past 10 years or so and you'll see that half the time they rank in the top half of the league in rushing and half the time they don't.

IT DOES NOT MATTER.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Bullsh*t. We've had this debate ad-nauseum ever since Grant went down. Spare me the "Must have super deluxe high performance run game if we want to win" nonsense.

The 2008 Steelers were ranked 23 in rushing. That is NOT a great running game. Their Super Bowl opponents, the Cardinals, were #32.

2009- Saints were 6th. Colts = #32. BTW, in that super bowl win, NO's top rusher ran for 33 friggin yards. Indy's went for 77. NO's second leading rusher went for 25 yards rushing, for a total of 78 yards on the ground between the two. Yup, running the ball sure had an impact in their winning the Super Bowl!

Their run game didn't even play that big a role in the NFC Championship game. They did pick up a lot of yards in the divisional game, but that's what happens when you blow out an opponent.

It simply DOES NOT MATTER. You can go back and look at every Super Bowl champion for the past 10 years or so and you'll see that half the time they rank in the top half of the league in rushing and half the time they don't.

IT DOES NOT MATTER.

I don't see anywhere that he said that.

The way I see it is that, yes, we are a pass first team because we have a solid QB and a great WR corps. HOWEVER, when we face a stout defense like that of the Falcons, we simply cannot turn the ball over as much as we did with 1, 2, or 3 yards left to go to get the first down.

You say that some key reasons that we lost are because of ST play and a Rodgers fumble. I can just as easily say those goal line carries SHOULD have gone to a RB who can punch it in for a yard, especially the 2nd sneak, which followed a failed sneak to begin with.

In conclusion, no we don't need to go out and get a superstar and no we don't need to waste high draft picks on a proven back. BUT, we need someone we can call on to get a yard or two on 3rd down and I simply didn't see that on Sunday.

When we get Finley back, we'll have that guy drawing coverage over the top. When we get Grant back, we'll have a consistent runner who can get us those tough yards.

We can't do anything about the situation right now except sit back, relax and enjoy the Packer team that we have now. When Starks is healthy enough, lets give him some carries in fluffy games, just to see what he can do. Maybe give Nance some chances in tough yardage situations. Nevertheless, if people get excited about these possibilities, what's the use in giving everyone **** for it?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

IT DOES NOT MATTER.
The Saints ran for 239 yards in the two games they played on their way to the Super Bowl.

The Steelers ran for 217 in their 2 games before the Super Bowl the year they won it. 165 in one game, sure, but it's one of maybe 2 exceptions to this rule, last year's Colts being the other.

The Cardinals ran for 333 yards in their 3 games before the Super Bowl that year.

The Giants ran for 324 in their 3 games before their Super Bowl.

The Pats ran for 294 in their 2 pre-Super Bowl games in '07. And 336 in 2 games the last time they won it.

The Colts ran for 413 yards in their 3 pre-Super Bowl games the year they won it.

The Bears ran for 316 in the 2 games they played pre-Super Bowl in '06.

The Seahawks had 309 yards in 2 games back when they got to the Bowl.

The Eagles ran for 265 in 2 games before the '04 Super Bowl.

If simply getting to the Playoffs is good enough for you, great. If you want to win and get to the Super Bowl, you almost always have to have a running game.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IT DOES NOT MATTER.

Agree - agree - agree!

Our roster is fine as it is. We are a passing team with a really good defense. Even with all of the injuries, our roster is still one of the best in the league.

We have lost 4 games by a grand total of 12 points. Two of the losses would almost certainly have been wins had Matthews not been injured. We lost to the Bears in Chicago because we made every possible mistake and had 18 penalties. We took the best team in the NFL down to the wire at their place even with a bad call on a 4th down play that gave Atlanta 7 points.

Why is everyone here obsessed with what we don't have rather than on what we DO have??

Thompson deserves to be NFL Executive of the Year. The performance of the Packers with all of the injuries is incredible. The depth on the roster is a tribute to TT and the development of young players under McCarthy's watch.

dgreen1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your right - I might have made this post if we have won, but it just further proves that we have a horrible running game. The games we lost by 3 points most likely would have had a different outcome if we had a good run game. Like I said, Ted has done a decent job in keeping this teams playoff hopes alive but I want to win now. Some of you may be different but I feel we have a pretty good team. I don't like the "well there is always next year" mind set, you live for today, not tomorrow, not next month, not next year. We need someone who will do whatever it takes to bring home a championship to title town and Ted just seems to be falling short of that.

And everyone can save the Vikings and Randy Moss replies. There is a reason Moss bounces from team to team. Because he is not a TEAM player.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your right - I might have made this post if we have won, but it just further proves that we have a horrible running game. The games we lost by 3 points most likely would have had a different outcome if we had a good run game. Like I said, Ted has done a decent job in keeping this teams playoff hopes alive but I want to win now. Some of you may be different but I feel we have a pretty good team. I don't like the "well there is always next year" mind set, you live for today, not tomorrow, not next month, not next year. We need someone who will do whatever it takes to bring home a championship to title town and Ted just seems to be falling short of that.

And everyone can save the Vikings and Randy Moss replies. There is a reason Moss bounces from team to team. Because he is not a TEAM player.

You do realize that, before all the injuries, we had a team that was more than capable of winning now, right?

I don't think you'd find any of us who don't want to win now.

What you will find, though, are people who know enough to know that drafting and then developing players is the best way to build a team. That's how teams like the Patriots and Colts have been able to sustain long term success. Not this one shot deal nonsense like the Jets and Vikings.

Frankly, I'd rather give ourselves a great shot at winning it all every single year than go all in for one shot and one shot only. Right now we're built for both immediate and long term success. And we did it all following Ted's method of draft and develop, not through making big acquisitions in free agency.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok who did those teams pick up so late in the year and it worked?

Its worked to some degree for the Saints, Texans and 49ers, not outside the realm of possibility if you ask me that an experienced runningback could be more effective in this system than the current ones.

Still waiting for an answer?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints ran for 239 yards in the two games they played on their way to the Super Bowl.

The Steelers ran for 217 in their 2 games before the Super Bowl the year they won it. 165 in one game, sure, but it's one of maybe 2 exceptions to this rule, last year's Colts being the other.

The Cardinals ran for 333 yards in their 3 games before the Super Bowl that year.

The Giants ran for 324 in their 3 games before their Super Bowl.

The Pats ran for 294 in their 2 pre-Super Bowl games in '07. And 336 in 2 games the last time they won it.

The Colts ran for 413 yards in their 3 pre-Super Bowl games the year they won it.

The Bears ran for 316 in the 2 games they played pre-Super Bowl in '06.

The Seahawks had 309 yards in 2 games back when they got to the Bowl.

The Eagles ran for 265 in 2 games before the '04 Super Bowl.

If simply getting to the Playoffs is good enough for you, great. If you want to win and get to the Super Bowl, you almost always have to have a running game.

OK, well, good for them. I'm not saying rushing isn't important on some level, but I'm sorry, you just don't need a good running game to win in the playoffs, or even to go to the Super Bowl. Indy ran for what, 124 yards or something in their two playoff games last year?

I'm having issues getting NFL.com to work at the moment, but it would be interesting to compare the results of post-season rushing success to the rankings of the rushing defenses they played. For example, New Orleans played Arizona, who had the 17th ranked rushing defense in 2009, in NO's first round of the playoffs. This is where the majority of their 239 yards came from, because they only ran for 68 yards again Minnesota, the #3 ranked rushing defense. I'd be interested to see how those stats measured up across the board.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
i like the idea of running everything from the shotgun. never lets them really know if we are gonna run or pass.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I like the 5 wide idea. We should run a Texas Tech style Air Raid offense. Throw 50 or 60 times a game. Use short passes like a de facto running game.

gbforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#4 Howard Green 3rd and 1? Drop your 340 lb Nose Tackle behind Rodgers. If he can't plow forward for a yard nobody can. I'm very serious here. Anyone remember the Bears game in 1985 when Coach Ditka gave the 325 lb rookie DT “The Refrigerator” William Perry the ball to score a 2 yard TD against us on Monday night?

or we could play Howard Green on the o-line.

Members online

Latest posts