The Randle Cobb effect

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy was one of the few ppl on offense who balled out the entire game. I would like to see him get the ball more on sweeps and let him use his elusiveness and quickness in open space versus just throwing to him. He is allows us to run the screens more effectively but MM can't call it once gain 10 yds and never call it again smh. Anyways like Troy Aikman said if he can master a couple routes he will have the impact Sproles has in New Orleans. I would like to see quicker routes to our Wr's instead of all this long developing stuff...our line isn't talented enough at this point to block that long and Rodgers was running alot.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall Cobb is going to be a big, big star for us, and likely will make it easier not to resign Jennings.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dude is a gamer. If he can cut down on the fumbles he could end up better than Jennings. He can change directions in a blur and he has game breaking quickness and speed. If he's going to be used the way he was yesterday he will undoubtedly outside of Rodgers be our biggest offensive weapon.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said this before - maybe not here though - but I think he's a Percy Harvin-lite. Percy is a better overall athlete, but they have a lot of similar characteristics and ways to create mismatches. Clearly MM is starting to take advantage of that when he utilizes him out of the slot, out wide, and in the backfield. And we know MM has a few more wrinkles up his sleeve. I bet they run some wildcat with him (very infrequently) and hand it off to him too. Remember, he played QB in college and they ran a designed reverse turned into a pass for him last season at NYG. It will be fun to see his role evolve in this offense and to see him develop.

BrettsFavor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He quite possibly has more upside than Jennings. He won't have Jennings route-running but in speed and open field agility he is slightly stronger. Top 10 NFL receiver in the making if he continues to improve at this rate.

L

Lunchboxer

Now hes a great Gem TT found.

I knew he was something special sense that Long *** Kick return for a TD Against the saints last season.

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I LOVE how they utlized him out of the backfield! Definitely a great scheme! Do we take him out of the special teams game if he becomes a huge threat in our offense?

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is a very talented player and has great hands and is super quick. I am grateful he plays for the green and gold. He has a bright future with the team.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I've compared Cobb to both Harvin and McCluster. The Saints need to take notice with their new kid Cadet. We do need to run quicker passes until we can get some more development on the line, but not too many screens. Short routes.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I have watched Cobb for a while now. His college play was under the radar due to the fact that there were so many big name SEC guys at the time. The kid was a beast then and is starting to make a big name for himself in the big leagues. He will be one of those guys that other teams have to make a special plan for. Give him this year to further develope....by his 3rd year ...."watch the f*ck out"!!!!

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he reminds me of dez howard when he has the ball. Great ability to both make moves and find a crease.

Packfan14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy was one of the few ppl on offense who balled out the entire game. I would like to see him get the ball more on sweeps and let him use his elusiveness and quickness in open space versus just throwing to him. He is allows us to run the screens more effectively but MM can't call it once gain 10 yds and never call it again smh. Anyways like Troy Aikman said if he can master a couple routes he will have the impact Sproles has in New Orleans. I would like to see quicker routes to our Wr's instead of all this long developing stuff...our line isn't talented enough at this point to block that long and Rodgers was running alot.

as i was watching the first quarter of the Ravens/Bengals game, i was thinking why not run cobb, jones, or activate boykin to run reverses. i mean it'll confuse the d for a skosh but it'll help in the run game and get cobb more snaps

green19

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as i was watching the first quarter of the Ravens/Bengals game, i was thinking why not run cobb, jones, or activate boykin to run reverses. i mean it'll confuse the d for a skosh but it'll help in the run game and get cobb more snaps

I agree they should give cobb some running looks when he's in the backfield, 49er's had no answer for him even when they knew the pack was going to pass and if they can mix it up with him I think he can open things up for the offense a little more.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I LOVE how they utlized him out of the backfield! Definitely a great scheme! Do we take him out of the special teams game if he becomes a huge threat in our offense?

not off of punt returns but maybe kickoff returns. We can put Sam Sheilds back there. He's gotta be able to use that 4.2 speed somewhere.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Cobb had a great game: He was targeted on 9 passes and caught all 9. Except for a bobble on a punt which he immediately picked up, his ball security was great. And he has a very bright future, but I would rather see a pass to him where he has to beat one defender to make a big gain than have him take a handoff and have to rely upon the run-blocking ability of the OL. Sure, very occasionally hand him the ball on a reverse - and I'd love to see an occasional option pass - but there's a reason averages per passing attempt (let alone per catch) are significantly higher than averages per rush across the league - get him out in space.

IMO comparisons to Jennings don't make a lot of sense. As a WR he's more in the Driver mold - going across the middle - only more versatile. Jennings is their intermediate and deep threat. Coming out of college, Jennings was slightly faster than Cobb and just watching them now, I think that remains the case.

I think one of the reasons Cobb lined up in the backfield was the absence of Green as the third-down back. Even when Green returns to health, McCarthy has to find Cobb more snaps.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
The problem with giving Cobb more touches is teams will prepare for more Cobb. He is something special no doubt but wait till mid to late season to play more Cobb.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after seeing him carry the ball on what looked like an Iso and coming out hanging his shoulder i think MM will just stick with the toss and sweep play. I thought he had a broken collarbone after seeing the replay. luckily he didn't.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^true but it was awesome how he lowered his shoulder into traffic. You don't see that a lot out of people his size. But I do agree MM should refrain from those runs with him to keep him healthy.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play you reference above is exactly why Cobb is only a Percy Harvin-lite. Cobb simply isn't big enough to take on the full role Harvin has with the Vikings. This isn't a slight to Cobb, though. It's just demonstrates the fine line MM must walk in exploiting Cobb's talents without over-exposing him to the type of hits that he took last week. And this has gone overlooked in our Cobb excited. The pop to the shoulder is a shot of reality. I discussed this in detail in our recent post (http://wp.me/p29VCs-ba), but admittedly it covers much of what's been said here.

Frankly though, a Percy Harvin-lite is all this offense needs. Already explosive enough, the added dimensions Cobb adds will be fun to see evolve as the season progresses. And with Jennings' injury slowly healing, Cobb's development may prove critical.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could use Cobb in the wildcat to if MM really wanted to. His background of have being a quarterback in highschool puts him at a little higher value then Harvin imo. Teams would actually have to respect the fact that he could actually throw the ball if he wanted to.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anytime you take the ball out of #12 hands I think its a less than stellar deal. But I wouldn't mind seeing 1 or 2 gadget plays ran through cobb. Could you imagine a statue of liberty to cobb with a deep bomb to nelson to seal a game. I can just see it on sportscenter already

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Cobb throwing the ball will not be more than a once or twice a year bit. But, it's definitely going to be deployed at some point. My personal favorite potential play would be a quick toss (backwards) to Cobb lined out wide as if getting ready for a quick WR screen play. Cobb then throws it back, across the field to Rodgers, hopefully left alone and not prone to a big hit of course.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts