The problem of franchising Flynn.

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But never in a sign and trade deal. We've done it with players in the last year of a contract, or after a season in a contract, but has Ted ever done a Tag and Trade?

OP
OP
Raptorman

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think this is pretty well understood. As I said in my previous post, before ANY of this business happened, a "gentlemen" agreement would be in place. Ted would find a trade partner that was willing to take a tagged Flynn, and he would then meet with Flynn to ensure his agreement. Everything would be in place before anything happens. The actual commencement of these actions would be more of a formality. Sure, I suppose Flynn could assure Thompson that he is OK with whatever deal might be worked out and then back out once Ted pushes it through, but I can't see that happening. He will either not agree to a potential deal that is on the table and nothing will happen, or he will and it will go through.

I think most NFL players understand that they aren't owed any favors from an organization, especially when you are a valuable asset. Working out a trade with someone like Miami should be find with Flynn, especially with the coaching changes there. Once again, I see this as an 80/20 split, that is, 80% of the time any trade will not be reached. However, it certainly is a possibility. It simply comes down to a teams interest and Flynn accepting the deal. Both would be hurdles, but IF they could be worked out, a deal could be reached. Will be very interesting to see for sure. I still expect Flynn to walk. We just have to hope at least one team falls in love with him and is willing to do whatever it takes to acquire his rights.
Only one problem. Why would Flynn and his agent give up his bargaining rights to the Packers? Once the Packers tag him it is Flynn who holds the rights to bargin with other teams. Not the Packers. So the question is, can the Packers get a better deal for Flynn's sake than Flynn and his agent can? And since the Packers cannot talk to other teams about trading Flynn before he signs a tag, it makes it tough for them to work out a deal. That would be collusion between two teams to deal a player not under contract or tagged. Definitely against the CBA.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Only one problem. Why would Flynn and his agent give up his bargaining rights to the Packers? Once the Packers tag him it is Flynn who holds the rights to bargin with other teams. Not the Packers. So the question is, can the Packers get a better deal for Flynn's sake than Flynn and his agent can? And since the Packers cannot talk to other teams about trading Flynn before he signs a tag, it makes it tough for them to work out a deal. That would be collusion between two teams to deal a player not under contract or tagged. Definitely against the CBA.
What you say is true, but right now escapism is a good thing.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bc no rules are ever broken in the NFL when it comes to communication between players, agents, and teams.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think the Dolphins, for example, could let the Packers know they’d be interested and if that happens (because they don’t want a bidding war) I would expect Flynn and his agent to go along. If the phins are willing to do it, why not? And I’d be thrilled with their second rounder for Flynn.

But I don’t think it is going to happen mostly because of the salary cap. The minute the new league year begins, the Packers will only be about $7M under the cap. If they tagged Flynn and he signed it, they’d be over the cap. I was more optimistic about this before that information came to light. While I expect Clifton to be waived, I’m not sure about Driver and it could take a while to negotiate a reduced salary if they want to keep him and until they do, he’s on the books at his 2012 number. I think it’s a long-shot and they will end up getting a 3rd round comp pick in the 2013 draft.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A trade has been worked out, Flynn is tagged, and instantly traded.

Unless you have two teams that seriously have a Jones for Flynn looking like they'll start a bidding war, it's not even in the realm of possibility. Otherwise, if I'm a GM for another team, I'm telling Ted, "Sorry, but I'm not interested in giving you draft picks for a guy I can probably sign as a free agent. If you want to tag him, that's your problem. You can pay him $12M and I'll pick him up next year when you can't hold onto him without a contract. Or I'll wait until you rescind your tag."

I just don't see a big bidding war for him happening.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Unless you have two teams that seriously have a Jones for Flynn looking like they'll start a bidding war, it's not even in the realm of possibility. Otherwise, if I'm a GM for another team, I'm telling Ted, "Sorry, but I'm not interested in giving you draft picks for a guy I can probably sign as a free agent. If you want to tag him, that's your problem. You can pay him $12M and I'll pick him up next year when you can't hold onto him without a contract. Or I'll wait until you rescind your tag."

I just don't see a big bidding war for him happening.

Anyone that thinks it will be as simple as "just signing" Flynn as a free agent is kidding themselves. If this guy hits the open market, there are going to be SEVERAL (at least three) teams wanting to sign him. Of course the teams that still need QBs in addition to a few other teams that may hope to push their starter or think Flynn is better than what they currently have (perhaps even a team like the 49ers and MAYBE the Cowboys). As I said, if a GM thinks Flynn is a franchise QB, you give up a 2nd round pick for him, which I'm sure Ted would jump on in an instant. I'm not worried about Flynn and his agent not going along with any potential trade. Anything is possible, but when Flynn and his agent see an opportunity to start and get a significant contract, he will take it. I highly doubt he would pull an **** move to force the Packers hand in anyway because he will be looking at a nice contract and a starting opportunity no matter what.

Perhaps no GMs truly thinks Flynn is a franchise QB. In that case, he wouldn't be worth the contract he'll demand on the open market to that team anyway. In my opinion, however, if he is worth a Kolb-like contract or bigger, he would be worth a 2nd round pick to avoid potentially missing out or getting played as leverage like Jeff Fisher did with Miami and the Rams. It's a QB driven league and a team has to have a solid QB at worse to truly compete for a championship MOST of the time. If an opportunity presents itself to grab one, it should be a no brainer. Missing out on a player like Flynn who turns out to excel is a good way to end up without a job in the near future for several front offices.

80/20 chance, but if I like Flynn, I get it done.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction: The Pack will re-sign Flynn and come up with some crazy 2 QB formations that will propel them to 14 consecutive undefeated seasons.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's believed that impending free agent quarterback Matt Flynn would be a pretty significant upgrade over Matt Moore for the Miami Dolphins. However, Miami is not the only team for whom Flynn would be an upgrade over their incumbent.

Another one of these teams is the Cleveland Browns, who rode a combo basket of Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace to a 4-12 record in 2011. And in the opinion of someone who's been in the announcing booth for Green Bay Packers preseason games recently, Flynn would be able to step right in and start for the Browns from Day 1.
"Same system, same terminology, same verbiage ... West Coast, footwork, decision making, accuracy, those type of things," Rich Gannon said this week, according to Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository. He also believes that the makeup of the coaching staff in Cleveland would be a great one for Flynn. "I want a coach who is going to listen to me and have some feedback ... a coaching staff that has developed good quarterbacks. Cleveland is a good situation. [New offensive coordinator] Brad Childress has a deep background. He and Pat worked together. ... You've got guys who speak the same language, guys who have had some success developing quarterbacks."

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No but there are 15 more guys that play defense than them. We have talent, now thats not to say we don't need a lot more, because we do. We were just fundamentally **** this year, bad tackling, bad technique, bad ball skills, I just feel like an offseason would have helped a lot, and will help a lot.

Add a secondary player, and a pass rusher, along with a full offseason, I think the defense gets to a top 15 D.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seven offseasons wouldn't have helped Erik Walden, Frank Zombo and Vic So'oto effective pass rushers.
I never saw So'oto be ineffective. I also only saw him in the pre season and a handful of regular season snaps. He got a push though when they actually allowed him to step on the field.

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So'oto can be good, he shows ability, and so does Walden. I think Walden was "helped" to be ineffective by the coaching staff to get rid of him due to off season problems.

Zombo just wasn't the same this year, but I truly believe that has a lot to do with no offseason. I'm willing to give some of those players another shot. Not all, but some.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think Walden was "helped" to be ineffective by the coaching staff to get rid of him due to off season problems.
You don't mean the coaching staff purposefully made Walden ineffective or purposefully put him in bad situations, do you?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's believed that impending free agent quarterback Matt Flynn would be a pretty significant upgrade over Matt Moore for the Miami Dolphins. However, Miami is not the only team for whom Flynn would be an upgrade over their incumbent.

Another one of these teams is the Cleveland Browns, who rode a combo basket of Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace to a 4-12 record in 2011. And in the opinion of someone who's been in the announcing booth for Green Bay Packers preseason games recently, Flynn would be able to step right in and start for the Browns from Day 1.
"Same system, same terminology, same verbiage ... West Coast, footwork, decision making, accuracy, those type of things," Rich Gannon said this week, according to Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository. He also believes that the makeup of the coaching staff in Cleveland would be a great one for Flynn. "I want a coach who is going to listen to me and have some feedback ... a coaching staff that has developed good quarterbacks. Cleveland is a good situation. [New offensive coordinator] Brad Childress has a deep background. He and Pat worked together. ... You've got guys who speak the same language, guys who have had some success developing quarterbacks."

I think Flynn has more chance of ending up in Miami because the Browns are likely to be trading up to get Blake Griffin in the draft.

Members online

Latest posts