The problem of franchising Flynn.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

I'm gonna say the most unpopular thing probably ever said on this board, but if you think about it, it makes good sense.

Go ahead and Franchise Flynn! Make him the starting QB, and trade Rodgers for a couple of #1's. Now before you guys kill me, listen to the logic. 1. Aaron is a borderline concussion case. 2. Flynn has proven he can at least keep the Packers in games if not blow the doors off the opponent. 3. Everyone says Aaron Rodgers is such a great quarterback, but honestly Flynn's performance in BOTH the New England game last year, and the season finale this year PROVE that it's not the GUY, it's the system.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm gonna say the most unpopular thing probably ever said on this board, but if you think about it, it makes good sense.

Go ahead and Franchise Flynn! Make him the starting QB, and trade Rodgers for a couple of #1's. Now before you guys kill me, listen to the logic. 1. Aaron is a borderline concussion case. 2. Flynn has proven he can at least keep the Packers in games if not blow the doors off the opponent. 3. Everyone says Aaron Rodgers is such a great quarterback, but honestly Flynn's performance in BOTH the New England game last year, and the season finale this year PROVE that it's not the GUY, it's the system.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: WOW. It must be the off season.....

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Give yourself a little more credit, buddy. Hilarious jokes are always popular!

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

Yet if Ted did it tomorrow, you guys would rant and rave until about early October when Flynn has the team at 4-0, then there would be 'Rodgers sucks' messages all over this whole Forum

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yet if Ted did it tomorrow, you guys would rant and rave until about early October when Flynn has the team at 4-0, then there would be 'Rodgers sucks' messages all over this whole Forum
Ted isn't that foolish. Only a fool would trade Rodgers away after watching him during the playoff run last season and this regular season. Have you ever seen a better game by a QB in the playoffs than Rodgers’ game at Atlanta last year? I wonder if you are one of the Favre fans who were bitter toward Thompson for accepting and then enforcing Favre’s “retirement” and at Rodgers for taking Favre’s place? The reason I ask is I can’t figure out another reason a Packers fan would advocate for trading the franchise QB. Or thinking that Flynn is better than Rodgers.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

You must've missed the borderline concussion case. Only 'Favre lovers' know about Aaron having at least 2 concussions right?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett, come one. Give it up. Rodgers is our QB and you are going to have to deal with it.

How's Deanna doing? She still pissed about the whole sending pics of your **** to that NY hottie?

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What are you talking about. Why would people be saying Rodgers sucks if he got traded away? Just trying to understand your thinking here.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are you talking about. Why would people be saying Rodgers sucks if he got traded away? Just trying to understand your thinking here.
A favre sympethizer. He feels that Pack fans only got down on Favre because he was traded away and that they would do the same to Rodgers. Which would happen also if Rodgers set himself up to go to our rivals for the sole purpose of ******** the Packers.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A favre sympethizer. He feels that Pack fans only got down on Favre because he was traded away and that they would do the same to Rodgers. Which would happen also if Rodgers set himself up to go to our rivals for the sole purpose of ******** the Packers.

I know what he was getting at...just wanted to hear him describethat statement.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is sarcasm, right?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to be honest: If the Packers invite Favre back in any capacity, I will lose a little respect for them. Favre tried to hold the Packers hostage for his own, selfish reasons. Who retires at the end of season three seasons in a row? I can't wait until people stop mentioning his name.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

While I can't prove this, I've always thought that if we hooked up Ted, Mike and Brett up to a lie detector we'd find out some version of the decision to go with Aaron being made within a week of Brett throwing that INT in the NFC Championship. Like I said, I can't prove it, but I find it hard to believe that a guy who had charity work in Green Bay would up and leave it after he retired...and on the spot instead of phasing it out. I also find it hard to believe that without provocation he'd turn on the fans who rooted him on through everything he went though. ANYWAY, whatever happened happened. And how did we go from Franchising Flynn to talking about Brett? Oh yeah, you guys dragged me into it. Seriously guys, him leaving Green Bay didn't even happen THIS DECADE....we need to get past it. He has way too much control over you guys and this board.

D

Dan115

While I can't prove this, I've always thought that if we hooked up Ted, Mike and Brett up to a lie detector we'd find out some version of the decision to go with Aaron being made within a week of Brett throwing that INT in the NFC Championship. Like I said, I can't prove it, but I find it hard to believe that a guy who had charity work in Green Bay would up and leave it after he retired...and on the spot instead of phasing it out. I also find it hard to believe that without provocation he'd turn on the fans who rooted him on through everything he went though. ANYWAY, whatever happened happened. And how did we go from Franchising Flynn to talking about Brett? Oh yeah, you guys dragged me into it. Seriously guys, him leaving Green Bay didn't even happen THIS DECADE....we need to get past it. He has way too much control over you guys and this board.

Are you Alan from Milwaukee?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I can't prove this, I've always thought that if we hooked up Ted, Mike and Brett up to a lie detector we'd find out some version of the decision to go with Aaron being made within a week of Brett throwing that INT in the NFC Championship.
Brett decided to come back after that. TT and MM welcomed him back. He changed his mind again. TT asked Brett if he was sure and there was no going back. Brett said he was done. Both sides have agreed to this much. The part where there stories diverge is when Brett changed his mind - yet again and wanted to come back. But a part of this story not talked about much - TT wasn't against him coming back. MM was okay with him coming back if he was willing to be a good teammate. BF met with MM for 3+ hours and in MMs opinion was unwilling to put things behind him. MM's decided he didn't want BF on the team. Told TT. He was then traded. TT took all the heat for this - you have to really admire him.

If you talk with people within and close to the organization, everyone has a ton of respect and admiration for TT. I have heard very little support for Favre. I don't consider the beat writers objective or knowledgeable.

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted will check the temperature on the market and make a decision. I think Flynn knows that he may be out of the league had he not played for the Pack and developed his skills under this great staff. I think he and his agent will play ball with the Packers front office and see what team is the best fit and then do a sign and trade to get the Pack either a player or 2nd day draft pick.

As smart as Ted is, he's also respectful. Packers will not tag Flynn for a few reasons.
1. Too much risk. Tag him for $14 Million, then IF he signs, we either pay him or trade him, and Flynn can really have an effect on that by refusing to rework a deal with teams he wouldn't wanna go to. Teams wouldn't trade anything for a 1 year, 14 Million dollar contract for a truly unproven QB. (although I think he will be great)

2. Ted respects the process. He payed Matt Flynn to be a back up, and paid McCarthy to make him the best back up in the league. He received both, he didn't do that to eventually use the guy to get more picks. Although it may be a smart business move, that isn't the Packers M.O.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
He is a great backup should Rodgers go down. But hopefully that won't happen. But still, a team will have to pick Flynn as he shows potential as a QB.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Too much risk. Tag him for $14 Million, then IF he signs, we either pay him or trade him, and Flynn can really have an effect on that by refusing to rework a deal with teams he wouldn't wanna go to. Teams wouldn't trade anything for a 1 year, 14 Million dollar contract for a truly unproven QB. (although I think he will be great)
I think the risk is very slight. I would project Flynn to find a team willing to pay him in the neighborhood of what that fella got in Arizona. Although Kolb had more experience, Flynn to me is more likely to succeed. Therefore I would put their value about the same. So, that puts him at $10M per year for 6 years and a $20M guaranteed. So why would Flynn sign if he can make $14M with us?

1. Getting the money now, a $10M signing bonus now, rather than waiting 7 months for first of 16 $800k checks.
2. Guaranteed money is a big thing. Not just a weird workout injury, but what about car accidents, etc. Money in the bank is money in the bank.
3. Opportunity to start. What player wants to sit on the bench his whole career?
4. Risk is near null because TT probably at this time has already talked to 1/2 a dozen teams about the price for Flynn. Any team needing a QB is weighing their options: taking what the draft brings them; trading up for a better QB; or trading for Flynn. They need to know the price in order to weigh their options. They would like to have a deal in place prior to the draft, if Flynn is their option. They also need some kind of Plan B, in case their guy is gone at their pick.

I will be shocked if Flynn is not tagged.

Like_That

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL trading Rodgers thats pretty funny. Flynn maybe be good but not even close to Rodgers. Flynn started 2 games only and hasnt proven anything yet. Flynn doesnt have the arm strength or accuracy like Rodgers or even the smarts so please stop with this trading Rodgers crap. Every player is a concussion away.

OP
OP
Raptorman

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

I am not sure what you are smoking, but I want some! :D

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Everyone is on the trading block, including Aaron Rodgers... But NOT FOR 2 FIRST ROUND PICKS! If someone offered FOUR first round picks and 3 or 4 second rounders, I'd consider it.

Members online

Latest posts