The problem of franchising Flynn.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The good thing for us is that Matt Barkley & Landry Jones stayed in college.
So all of a sudden teams are gonna get desperate and push a stiff like Ryan Tanneyhll from Texas A&M into the first round.

We are in a good position here.

Sure Flynn has only had one road start, and one home start in cold windy weather against a playoff team who was playing hard to win, and when Flynn only had 3 WR's suit up.
But he performed at a record-setting level. It's on film, vs 2 NFL teams.

That's a lot more than some college footage and combine numbers. It's hard to translate that > NFL.
(See Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, Jamarcus Russell, Akili Smith, Blaine Gabbert, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, etc.)

Again, I think TT and MM have put us in a very strong position.
Let's hope that they had a discussion with Flynn and his agent before deciding to let Matt play in week 17, which may have actually backfired on Rodgers and our team in the end as Arod was not sharp.

TCHickman24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the word is out that the Packers are trying to sign Finley to a long term deal. So it looks like someone else will be getting the tag. I still don't think it will be Flynn. Perhaps Wells will be the tag recipient.
Word is out? Link??

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers can tag him, he doesn't have to sign, he and his agent can work out a deal with another team, once that is done, he signs the deal with the Packers and the Packers then trade him to the new team, who then signs him to the new contract.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
For some reason I thought the new CBA changed how franchise tags could be used in tag-and-trades, but according to a couple of “experts”, including Jason Wilde, it didn’t change. IMO ivo610 "hit it" in the third post. Ask yourself how the Corey Williams’ deal worked – he was tagged, didn’t sign the deal, was traded for a pick and didn’t impact the Packers’ cap situation. I think the tricky part is getting Flynn and his agent to agree to the tag and trade because Flynn has the leverage of threatening to sign the deal and have the best seat in the house for $14M guaranteed.

IMO it’s ridiculous to say this type of deal is over Thompson’s head because he’s already done one and because he was Ron Wolf’s protégé and saw him wheel and deal up close. The worst they should do is a comp pick at the end of the third round in the 2013 draft, which aint bad. It's not a first rounder this draft, but it aint nothing.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philbin taking the coaching job with Miami might change everything now. If Philbin wants Flynn as his QB, the tag and trade might happen.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philbin taking the coaching job with Miami might change everything now. If Philbin wants Flynn as his QB, the tag and trade might happen.
I like the way you think.
They don't have to trade us a #1 pick for Flynn.
Just send us Cameron Wake and we will give them Flynn, and a draft pick.

UCSB616

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers can tag him, he doesn't have to sign, he and his agent can work out a deal with another team, once that is done, he signs the deal with the Packers and the Packers then trade him to the new team, who then signs him to the new contract.

This is correct. If more than one team expresses interest in Flynn we will get something for him if the tag is available.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On THAT note:
MIAMI - On Friday, the Miami Dolphins ended their search for a Head Coach by naming the former Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator, Joe Philbin, to the position. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what Philbin’s first course of action should be in Miami.

The Dolphins’ most glaring need is at quarterback. Whether they have already planned to draft one in April or stick with the inconsistent Matt Moore or Chad Henne has yet to be determined.
Another idea would be for Philbin to urge the Dolphins’ front office to pursue Packers back-up QB Matt Flynn in free agency or a sign-and-trade.

The biggest risk on Flynn involves committing to a player who has only two career starts in the NFL. While Flynn could turn out to be a steal, the Dolphins definitely don’t want to end up with a Kevin Kolb-esque deal (Arizona Cardinals in 2011).
When it comes down to knowing what kind of player Flynn is, there probably isn’t a better guy than Joe Philbin. Philbin has spent every practice with the signal caller and knows his tendencies better than anyone.

From the Packers perspective, there shouldn’t be any problem dealing him to the Dolphins if they do decide to franchise him. Otherwise, Flynn could also end up with the Dolphins via a bidding war involving what looks to be many teams.
From Flynn’s perspective, Miami would be a great place to land. They have an up-and-coming offensive line with Jake Long and Mike Pouncey, dangerous weapons like RB Reggie Bush and WR Brandon Marshall and one of the better defenses in the league.

Seeing that the Dolphins would have to make a significant trade to move up and get Robert Griffin III, this is probably one of the more likely scenarios to where Flynn could go.

If a deal is done, a debate will start on whether Flynn is a franchise quarterback or not. He doesn’t have the out-of-this-world ability, but the guy does win. And in this kind of league, that’s all you need sometimes.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big fear of tagging Flynn is that he'll screw the Packers by signing the tender and taking up $14M of cap space. I've never understood why Flynn would do this. He wants to be a starter. Why sign a high-paying one year deal and be a backup instead of getting a long-term contract to be a starter. Not to mention, playing in Miami 8 times a year is NOT bad.

Assuming Finley is resigned to a long-term deal, why not tag Flynn and deal him to Miami?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'd have to sign it in order to trade him. He wouldn't be ******** the Packers. The way the Packers would be screwed is if they couldn't find a trading partner.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'd have to sign it in order to trade him. He wouldn't be ******** the Packers. The way the Packers would be screwed is if they couldn't find a trading partner.

Yes and no. He could be tagged without signing and then the Packers trade him assuming Flynn and the Dolphins agree on the contract. Where he is able to screw the Packers is if he signs the tender and stays.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am on board with the idea of sending Flynn to Miami. Philbin has already worked with Flynn so he'd be great with that offense. Miami needs a new QB anyway. We need a pick, not sure if we can get them to cough up Wake, though.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is everyone so quick at being OK with letting Flynn go?
I like him and think he should stick around a bit more because we would need to have someone as good as Flynn if the worst case scenario happens to A-Rod, god forbid.
Flynn might go to another team and then it might bite us in the butt later on like where he beats the Pack maybe even in a crucial game.
Sure he might leave, but why not wait and let the situation play itself out first.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is everyone so quick at being OK with letting Flynn go?
I like him and think he should stick around a bit more because we would need to have someone as good as Flynn if the worst case scenario happens to A-Rod, god forbid.
Flynn might go to another team and then it might bite us in the butt later on like where he beats the Pack maybe even in a crucial game.
Sure he might leave, but why not wait and let the situation play itself out first.

I'm not happy about letting him go, but I don't think we should hold him here any longer. It's not fair to Flynn. He's more than ready to be a starter somewhere, he just can't be one here because of Rodgers. We are lucky not to of lost him last year after his performance in the Pats game. I'm sure many a team was scouting him out in that game. There are a lot of teams that are needing QBs, hopefully Flynn signs with a good team worthy of him.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think he would have to sign the tender before being traded. If he doesn't sign, he's a non-entity. Can't trade a player that's not under contract. And how would he end up ******** the Packers if he stayed? I mean, that would screw the Packers but it wouldn't be Flynn's fault. It would be the Packers gambling and losing.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Why not keep Flynn? Because his contract is expiring, he and his agent (and nearly everyone else) knows he has NFL starting QB talent and he and his agent want him to be paid as a starting QB. The Packers can’t afford to pay two starting QB salaries (cash and cap wise). And probably most important: Flynn wants to start, as he should.

The reason Flynn may threaten to sign the Franchise tender is so he can negotiate with any team unrestrained by the requirement to make a deal with the Packers. A tag and trade is definitely in the Packers best interest; it may be in the other teams’ best interest if they anticipate a bidding war for Flynn. It isn’t in Flynn’s best interest although if he wanted to go to Miami and they want to trade for him, he may go along.

My understanding is once Flynn agrees to a contract with the new team and the terms of the trade are agreed upon, Flynn would sign the tender, he and the new team would then agree to tear it up in favor of the new deal which would probably have more guaranteed money (over several years but still guaranteed) than the tag. The franchise tag is guaranteed salary for one season, it’s not like a multi-year deal with a signing bonus that gets accelerated when the player is traded or waived.

OP
OP
Raptorman

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Yes and no. He could be tagged without signing and then the Packers trade him assuming Flynn and the Dolphins agree on the contract. Where he is able to screw the Packers is if he signs the tender and stays.
You can't trade someone who has not signed the tender. It is against the CBA to trade the rights of a franchise player who has not signed. If the Packers franchise him they can't trade him until he signs the franchise tender. Nor can the Packers make a deal with any team to trade him to, unless he signs the tender. Were he goes is up to him.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be surprised if we don't trade Flynn.

I see that last game of the season as an audition for Flynn as trade bait. The apparent push to sign Jermichal is further evidence that they need to maintain the tag for Flynn.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The talk from both sides about signing Finley to a long-term deal tells me that they want to reserve the franchise tag for Flynn and work out some kind of trade. I still think that going to Miami with Philbin in return for a draft pick is the most likely scenario.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts